PDA

View Full Version : New York's Golden 50 Team

danefan
March 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
24 FCS commits for the NY squad who will take on the NJ squad in June for what used to be called the "Governors' Bowl" but is now the NY-NJ Football Classic. The roster is subject to change for availability of the kids (some colleges don't allow participation and some kids already enrolled in college and cannot play).

QB's:

Rob Calabrese, East Islip-11-Central Florida
Dom Legrande, Curtis-PSAL-Boston College
Jeff Legree, Fort Hamilton-PSAL-Temple
Joe Sidatis, Floyd-11-Hofstra
Steve Probst, Farmingdale-8-Hofstra
Jordan Eck, Rye-1-Undecided
James Brady, St.Anthony's-CHSFL-Georgetown

RB's:
Averin Collier, Churchville-5-Syracuse
Latavius Murray, Onondaga-3-Central Florida
Davis Zapata, Hornell-5-Navy
Brendan Kelly, Shoreham WR-11-Central Florida
Brock Jackolski, Floyd-11, Hofstra
Kenny Youngs, Lansingburgh-2-CW Post
Mike Catapano, Chaminade-CHSFL-Princeton
Ray Schuster, Clarkstown N-1-Brown

WR:
Deandre Preaster, Proctor-3-Syracuse
Marcus Sales, CBA, 3-Syracuse
Khalif Staten, Lincoln-PSAL-Iowa
Todd Wingate, Aquinas-5-Undecided

TE:
Chandler Jones, UE-4-Syracuse
Jeff Falvey, CNS-3-New Hampshire
Luke Nawrocki, Chaminade-CHSFL-UPenn

OL:
Ian Allport, Pulaski-3-Syracuse
John Dowd, St. Peter's-CHSFL-Navy
Nick Lepack, Auburn-3-Syracuse
Gokhan Ozkhan, Bishop Ford-CHSFL-Buffalo
David Skrip, Albion-6-Buffalo
Devon Watkis, Longwood-11-Rutgers
Mike Rissone, FM-3-Colgate
Jeff Fell, Garden City-8-Yale
Bial Butt, Sewanhaka-8-Lafayette
Jordy Paulemon, Brentwood-11-Hofstra
Jon Sheridan, St. Joseph by Sea-CHSFL-Fordham
Sean O'Connor, Iona Prep-CHSFL-UMass
Austen Fletcher, St. Anthony's-CHSFL-Dartmouth

DL:
Matt Jones Aquinas-5-Syracuse
Steve Means, Grover Cleveland-6-Buffalo
John Whitting-Leroy-5-Cornell
Scott Vallone, St. Anthony's-CHSFL-Rutgers
Dan Minehan, CNS-3-Undedcided
Joe Silberzweig, Scarsdale-1-UPenn
John Zoppo, JJCR-1-Brown

LB's:
Chris Thomas, Curtis-PSAL-Hofstra
Artie Bigsby, Cazenovia-3-Undecided
Alex Rivas, East Meadow-8-Lafayette
Matt Morgan, Horsehead-4-Towson

DB's:
Zach Kraham, Chatham-2-Albany
JB Andreassi, St. Anthony's-CHSFL-Dartmouth
Vincent Nicosia, Amsterdam-2-Colgate Dan Basil, St. Anthony's-CHSFL-Colgate

Hoyadestroya85
March 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
how is new york as a football state?

DC 'gater
March 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM

As a product of nyc football, I'd say it's average. The upstate teams are usually stronger as a group compared to the nyc/long island teams. Lots of talented, athletic kids in nyc, but the teams are usually just ok.

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
As a product of nyc football, I'd say it's average. The upstate teams are usually stronger as a group compared to the nyc/long island teams. Lots of talented, athletic kids in nyc, but the teams are usually just ok.

There are a few distinct areas of NY football. The Rochester and Syracuse areas have had some pretty good talent in the last few years (Mike Hart, Greg Paulus (and his brother now at UNC)). Then you have Section I which is the Westchester-Rockland County area. In the largest division (AA) they have always been the cream of the crop and produced some good talent (Ray Rice).

NYC and LI are totally different animals. Neither participates in the State playoffs so they don't get much exposure throughout the state. And NYC is a basketball area, allthough there have been some good teams on Staten Island for some years (Tottenville, etc.)

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Overall....not great. Not bad, but a typical Northeastern state.

Hoyadestroya85
March 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
we have some decent talent from NY and have had some for the past couple years

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
we have some decent talent from NY and have had some for the past couple years

You will find that on an average year most of the top tier kids in NY end up at FCS schools with a few at FBS schools.

Compared to NJ the NY team has probably half the FBS commits that NJ does and even then most of the NY FBS commits are to Buffalo, Syracuse and for some reason Central Florida.

andy7171
March 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Do you have the NJ roster?

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
NJ Roster

Keith Baker-Scotch Plains-MLB-LOUISVILLE
Dwayne Beckford-Irvington-OLB-PURDUE
Marvin Booker-Piscataway-OLB-RUTGERS
Bryan Burnham-Moorestown-WR-TULSA
Chance Carrick-Howell-WR/P/PK-
Jack Crawford-St. Augustine-DE-PENN STATE
Kumar Davis-Paterson Eastside-RB-UMASS
Kevin DeMaio-Holmdel-OC-PRINCETON
Scott Demler-Hun School-K/P-VIRGINIA TECH
Matt Dortch-Wayne Valley-RB-CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
J.B. Fitzgerald-West Windsor Plainsboro South-MLB-MICHIGAN
Chris Garcia-Montgomery-FB/TE-MONMOUTH
Dwayne Gratz-Piscataway-CB-UCONN
John Griggs-Piscataway-TE-IOWA
Mike Gross-North Arlington-OT-RHODE ISLAND
Charles Gushue-Shawnee-OG-
Marquis Hamm-New Brunswick-DE-RUTGERS
Will Hill -St. Peter's Prep-DB-FLORIDA
Ed Imeokparia-Blair Academy-CB-FLORIDA STATE
Reuben Johnson-Winslow Twp-CB-
Maurice Jones-Belleville-FS-TEMPLE
Brandon Jones-Winslow Twp-WR-RUTGERS
Zach Kane-Toms River North-MLB-MIAMI
Patrick Kivlehan-St. Joe's Montvale-OLB-RUTGERS
Christian Klein-St. Joes Montvale-DT-BOSTON COLLEGE
Colin Larmond Jr.-Morristown Beard-WR-BOSTON COLLEGE
Eric LeGrand-Colonia-MLB-RUTGERS
Jarel Lowery-Paterson Catholic-DT-SYRACUSE
Will Martin-Holy Spirit-OG-SACRED HEART
Grant Mayes-Seton Hall Prep-CB-SYRACUSE
Troy McKenna-Bergen Catholic-OT-
Ryan McMackin-Paramus Catholic-OG-
DeJuan Miller-Metuchen-WR-OKLAHOMA
Pat Neumann-St. Joes Montvale-OT-BOSTON COLLEGE
Chris Pantale-Wayne Valley-TE-BOSTON COLLEGE
Lynell Payne-Cherokee-WR-CINCINNATI
Justin Rand-Lacey Twp-OG-
Justin Robbins-Plainfield-OG-
Mohamed Sanu-South Brunswick-QB-
Mark Singer-Holy Cross-FS-TOLEDO
David Stevens-Millburn-OLB-SYRACUSE
Charles Thompson-Teaneck-DT-UMASS
William Washington-Holy Spirit-RB-
Kevin Watson-Montgomery-QB-HOLY CROSS
Rashad White-Teaneck-RB-RUTGERS
Tahir Whitehead-Newark Westside-OLB-TEMPLE
Ashton Wilder-Shabazz-DT-HOWARD
Hafis Williams-Elizabeth-DT-NORTE DAME
Tim Wright-Wall-WR-RUTGERS
Chris Zarkoskie-Seton Hall Prep-OC-NEW HAMPSHIRE

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The roster's are subject to change and there are alternates whose names aren't released yet.

DC 'gater
March 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
NYC and LI are totally different animals. Neither participates in the State playoffs so they don't get much exposure throughout the state. And NYC is a basketball area, allthough there have been some good teams on Staten Island for some years (Tottenville, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Farrell for the longest time was the powerhouse Staten Island and Metro NY football school (alumni bias) as the only Catholic school on the island with football. They have come back to earth in the last 7-9 years when most of the others started programs.

danefan
March 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
NYC and LI are totally different animals. Neither participates in the State playoffs so they don't get much exposure throughout the state. And NYC is a basketball area, allthough there have been some good teams on Staten Island for some years (Tottenville, etc.)

Farrell for the longest time was the powerhouse Staten Island and Metro NY football school (alumni bias) as the only Catholic school on the island with football. They have come back to earth in the last 7-9 years when most of the others started programs.[/quote]

Very true. I played at Albany with a few kids from Monsignor Farrell including multiple Staten Island players of the year.xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Farrell had some good squads...but got crushed in the old Metro Bowl when the PSAL teams played them.

City football usually sees skill players, such as RB's and DB's. Every once in awhile you have a few linebackers. As for the City, before the reorg, Kennedy, Lehman, and Clinton sent a fair share of DI kids out of the Bronx. In Queens...not really good football...those teams usually were good until the playoffs where they got smoked. Some talented RB's came out of Beach Channel and August Martin. Manhattan-- Forget it. My buddy from Stuvesant played at Boston U...but not much else out of there.

Queens- Wagner was THE TEAM for years and years. Tons of DI kids out of that program. Curtis and Port Richmond came on late...with the spread offense.

Brooklyn (without my bias) is where most of the talent was. When I was a Soph at Sheepshead, we sent 12 of our 14 Senior starters to either FBS, FCS, DII or TOP FLIGHT JUCO's on rides. Florida A&M got three guys alone.

The big dogs in Brooklyn were/are Sheepshead, Canarsie, Lafayette and S. Shore (both are closing I hear), Lincoln, Fort Hamilton, and Boys and Girls. A few teams do good hear and there...but these were the big dogs.

As for Catholic Schools in the city, while Farrell was good, St. Anthony's was THE TEAM...period. Those guys were MONSTERS!

That Soph year, Sheepshead and Lafayette gave up a combined (including the playoffs) 40 something points.

Jiggs
March 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
what used to be called the "Governors' Bowl" but is now the NY-NJ Football Classic.

I guess with what has been going on with the governors of those two states, the name change is probably a good thing.xlolx

DC 'gater
March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Dane96;897507]Farrell had some good squads...but got crushed in the old Metro Bowl when the PSAL teams played them.

As for Catholic Schools in the city, while Farrell was good, St. Anthony's was THE TEAM...period. Those guys were MONSTERS!

Your post is a little off. Farrell won the 2 Metro Bowls they appeared in, including a thumping of Wagner (which is a Staen Island school as well) in 1986. A Farell team that featured future UMASS QB Gary Wilkos, Elon HC Pete Lembo, and DC 'gater. In fact, the PSAL won 1, that's right, 1 metro bowl game total. The CHSFL dominated that series which led to its demise in 1987.

The team you listed as being from "Queens", are all from Staten Island. All of these teams removed Farrell from their schedules because we always smashed them.

St. Anthony's unquestionable domination of the CHSFL started around 1999, and they have shown no signs of slowing down since.

DC 'gater
March 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Dane96;897507]Farrell had some good squads...but got crushed in the old Metro Bowl when the PSAL teams played them.

Year Winner Opponent Score
1978 Chaminade South Shore 6 - 2
1979 Monsignor Farrell Bayside 46 - 38
1980 St. John the Baptist Bayside 16 -12
1981 St. John the Baptist Bayside 22 - 21
1982 St. John the Baptist John Adams 27 -16
1983 St. Francis Prep John Adams 42 - 6
1984 John F. Kennedy St. John the Baptist 30 - 26
1985 St. Francis Prep New Dorp 28 - 6
1986 Monsignor Farrell Susan Wagner 34 - 8

Dane96
March 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The metro bowl was brought back in 1990. I watched the game. It was not called the metro bowl, I forget the name they gave it. In baseball, the same tourney was renamed as well after a hiatus. Obviously, the hoop schools only meet if they end up winnig the Federation Cup semis. I think the Metro Bowl was put BACK on hiatus this year (I e-mailed someone to find out) because of the new re-org of the conferences and levels of paly.

I fixed the QUEENS thing and St. Anthony's thing...I meant St. Francis Prep...those teams were DOMINANT...I meant to write Staten Island and not queens. Believe me, I know the PSAL-- My father was the Defensive Coordinator at his alma mater, Lincoln, from 1978-1994. It was always fever pitched in our house when we faced off (usually twice a year) against him.

EDIT: it won't let me edit the Queens statement and St. Anthony's, however it was a typo.