PDA

View Full Version : Santos Seeking Respect Again

UNHWildCats
March 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The chip on Rick Santos' shoulder keeps getting bigger. Despite a stellar high school career, few thought he would succeed at the college level where he ultimately excelled.

Now he's being dissed by the pros. Not getting invited to the NFL scouting combine is the latest snub, despite a decent performance at the Hula Bowl against some of the top seniors in the country.

The former University of New Hampshire quarterback did wangle the next best thing, however, an invitation to Boston College's pro day next Tuesday where former Eagle Matt Ryan, perhaps the top-rated QB in the NFL draft, will throw for pro scouts for the first time.

As a native of Massachusetts where he starred at Bellingham High School before taking a late scholarship offer from UNH, Santos was delighted to accept. The invite was extended by BC head coach Jeff Jagodinski, who was the East's offensive coordinator at the Hula Bowl.

"I'm kind of upset about the whole snub on the combine invite," said Santos, who last Saturday became the fourth player in the history of the UNH football program to have his number retired. "I kind of got over that and I've been working out with trainer Mike Boyle down in Winchester, Mass., just doing prep work for my pro day. Matt Ryan didn't throw at the combine so there's going to be every quarterback scout there to see him throw, so it's going to be a pretty unique opportunity for me to work one-on-one with the top-rated quarterback in the whole draft.

"I figure if I can go in there and make some of the same throws he's making and do some of the same stuff athletically he's doing, I can show people that I can compete as well."

Santos is all about competing. UNH won 37 games over the past four years with the 6-foot-1, 212-pounder at the helm. He made a favorable impression at the Hula Bowl, completing 10 of 16 passes for 169 yards in a 38-7 East win over the West.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080315/GJSPORTS_01/696019343/-1/FOSNEWS

Kill'em
March 16th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I really hope someone looks hard at him. He is too talented to pass up.

bleedblue
March 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
He deserves a shot and I think he will get it. I'm not sure if he gets drafted but he will at least sign a free agent contract. Hang tough Ricky! I'm just glad he's done abusing Delaware.

dwtime
March 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Throwing at BC's Pro Day is a gamble that could really pay off for Ricky if he does well, definitely a gamble though.

Ryan clearly has a stronger arm but I'm hoping Santos can impress with his accuracy and quickness. I think Ricky has quicker feet than people realize and he should show more quickness than Ryan I believe.

UNHWildCats
March 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Mike Reiss at the Boston Globe is reporting that Santos WONT be at BC's Pro Day.... apparently he was invited but for some reason he wont be there.

UNHWILDCATS05
March 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Throwing at BC's Pro Day is a gamble that could really pay off for Ricky if he does well, definitely a gamble though.

Ryan clearly has a stronger arm but I'm hoping Santos can impress with his accuracy and quickness. I think Ricky has quicker feet than people realize and he should show more quickness than Ryan I believe.

Word on the street is that Ricky actually will not be able to participate in the Pro Day per some regulation that says his hometown is too far from Boston..??? xnonono2x xoopsx Can't confirm the accuracy of this though...

UNH 40
March 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Word on the street is that Ricky actually will not be able to participate in the Pro Day per some regulation that says his hometown is too far from Boston..??? xnonono2x xoopsx Can't confirm the accuracy of this though...

You are correct. I think the rule is that your home town must be within 30 miles of wherever the Pro Day is being held. It funny that the NFL will not allow a great kid like Santos to work out because of a dumbass rule like this one, but they will allow a guy like Luis Castillo who a couple years ago test positive for steroids at the combine slide. The NFL should be looking for more guys of high character like Santos not turning them away.

UNHFan99
March 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
If Ricky was D2 or D3 that rule does not apply I believe, but because he is a D1 athlete you have to be within the mile limit.Our facilities are d2 and we have a very poor location for scouts to come too. there should be an exception for guys like Ricky. Im sure Maine has similar issues with pro workouts. Umass guys can go to BC I think.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
The rumors are correct:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=unh-s-santos-auditions-today&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Santos hoped to be at BC yesterday for a Pro Day and an opportunity to throw all sorts of passes alongside Eagle standout quarterback Matt Ryan in front of all sorts of NFL scouts and personnel guys.

But because he’s from a college outside Massachusetts and because his hometown is more than 30 miles from the BC campus, NFL rules dictated Santos could not participate in Boston College’s pro day.

Umass74
March 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Santos will work out for the Pros at UNH (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH's+Santos+auditions+today&articleId=c8c243ae-1125-4f8a-a52f-d8964dca56c9) along with some other Wildcat players.

Syntax Error
March 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The rumors are correct:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=unh-s-santos-auditions-today&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Santos will work out for the Pros at UNH (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH's+Santos+auditions+today&articleId=c8c243ae-1125-4f8a-a52f-d8964dca56c9) along with some other Wildcat players.That's the same story Umass74.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
More from Santos' Pro Day at UNH:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=santos-gets-his-chance-to-shine&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

DURHAM – Clutching a towel wrapped around the back of his neck, Ricky Santos stood a few yards beyond the oval of Lundholm Gymnasium’s indoor track when Pro Day concluded yesterday at the University of New Hampshire.

It was a fitting spot to find the Wildcats’ record-setting senior quarterback, who admitted feeling just out of the professional football loop.

Santos wasn’t invited to last month’s NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Most recently, he was shut out of Tuesday’s much-anticipated Boston College Pro Day, which attracted personnel from the majority of NFL teams.

Playing college football beyond Massachusetts borders and hailing from Bellingham, Mass. – more than 30 miles from BC’s campus – prohibited Santos from performing in front of a big audience at The Heights.

Henwatcher
March 21st, 2008, 04:10 AM
Rick Santos reminds me a lot of our own Rich Gannon. From what I've seen Rick can do all the things Rich could do. It took Rich several years before someone was smart enough to see he deserved a starting spot in the NFL. I believe the same thing could happen to Santos. Rick Santos is a winner and I just hope someone in the NFL sees what I see in Santos and gives this young man an opportunity. I've watched a lot of college and pro football games over the last 50 years and I would take Santos on my team in a heartbeat. I wish Rick the best of luck. If he doesn't get drafted, several teams are making a big mistake.

Retro
March 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
03/22/08 - The scouts, citing the terms of their contracts, wouldn't discuss the performance of any player or release statistical information. But it was clear Santos, unable to wear cleats, struggled at times to avoid slipping on the gym floor during drills. UNH head coach Sean McDonnell, however, said he was pleased with the passing portion of his quarterback's workout. The 6-foot 2-inch, 215-pound signal caller completed 40-of-50 passes to senior running back Chris Ward, and senior wideouts Keith LeVan and Matt Henry. Santos showcased his footwork with a variety of drop-back passes for short-, mid- and long-range gains to all parts of the field. Seven of the QB's 10 incompletions were dropped passes. Two tosses were overthrown and one was off target. "He was throwing the ball in mid-season form," LeVan said of Santos. "I think every ball but one came out in a really tight spiral. He was putting the ball right on us. He looked good." Determined to remain positive, Santos said he was warned the draft process would challenge his mental toughness. Former teammates Corey Graham and David Ball experienced the turbulent ride last year. Graham, a cornerback, was a fifth-round selection of the Chicago Bears. Ball, a receiver, signed with Chicago as an undrafted free agent. Their guidance, Santos said, has been welcomed. But, he added, it doesn't ease the frustration of knowing his "draft stock" has diminished -- particularly given his accomplishments at UNH. - Marc Thaler, New Hampshire Union Leader Sports

umassfan
March 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well I was wondering why UMass players were able to be at the BC pro day but not him... guess that explains it being the fact they go to college in Mass.

Pageoner
April 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM
for some reason as much as i hate to say it, i think Ricky is going to end up playing Arena Football. sucks.

UNHWildCats
April 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
for some reason as much as i hate to say it, i think Ricky is going to end up playing Arena Football. sucks.
I think he could end up in Canada if he dont get drafted or signed in the NFL.

Hoyadestroya85
April 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM

You guys are lucky even for that.. think about Brett Gordon From Nova.. he didn't get a shot anywhere.. even though he was one of the Best QBs in FCS history