PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play Rutgers?

Keeper
March 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
The Scarlet Knights are the only FBS team with one date to fill.

Openings are Sept 6, Sept 27, & Nov 1.

Since no other FBS teams are available, that leaves FCS.
Who are the willing candidates?

RadMann
March 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM
The Rutgers Rivals board had a lengthy thread recently about the prospect of them playing UD, but most of their fans were against it primarily because they argued that if you are going to play an FCS, play one you can handily beat to avoid the possibility of a damaging loss.

bluehenbillk
March 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
That's the Temple philosophy. Rutgers has wanted nothing to do with UD for years.

PaladinFan
March 12th, 2008, 07:00 AM
That's the Temple philosophy. Rutgers has wanted nothing to do with UD for years.

Rutgers also sucked for years.

Is anyone on that team actually from New Jersey?

Franks Tanks
March 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Rutgers also sucked for years.

Is anyone on that team actually from New Jersey?

Many are as NJ has excellent high school football believe it or not. The rosters of Boston College, Penn State, Notre Dame, Wisconson and other Big Ten Schools have many NJ guys. For years Penn State recruited loads of excellent players from Jersey, and actually the fact that other schools raid the state now is a partial contributor to there talent drop-off.

whitey
March 12th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Many are as NJ has excellent high school football believe it or not. The rosters of Boston College, Penn State, Notre Dame, Wisconson and other Big Ten Schools have many NJ guys. For years Penn State recruited loads of excellent players from Jersey, and actually the fact that other schools raid the state is a partial contributor to there talent drop-off.

Yeah, I'd say more than half of Rutgers roster is from NJ. One of the major reasons that Rutgers has emerged recently as a good football team has to do with Schiano's talents in recruiting. Schiano was able to convince some of the best NJ High School talent to stay in state. Like the previous poster mentioned most of these guys were going to Big11Ten schools or to BC.

Rutgers & Schiano also heavily recruit in Florida which is another reason for the major improvement seen in the program.

andy7171
March 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Don't sleep on NJ high school football. They produce a lot more talent than you know.

danefan
March 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Some of the schools represented on NJ's Football Classic (NY vs. NJ) team:

Louisville
Purdue
Penn State
Va Tech
Michigan
Iowa
Florida State
Florida
Miami
Boston College
Syracuse
Oklahoma
Cincinnati
Notre Dame

and at least 7 of NJ's Golden 50 team signed with Rutgers.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38782&highlight=Football+Classic

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
UNH had 14 NJ kids on their 2007 roster...half were starters or key subs.

They got 4 NJ kids on signing day

danefan
March 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
UNH had 14 NJ kids on their 2007 roster...half were starters or key subs.

They got 4 NJ kids on signing day

Including:
Chris Zarkoskie-Seton Hall Prep-OC-NEW HAMPSHIRE

Who will be playing on the NJ side of the Football Classic.

WrenFGun
March 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
UNH also beat Rutgers handily a few years ago, if I remember correctly :). They want no part of us this year, I would expect, though UNH does only have an eleven game schedule!

Go...gate
March 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Too bad Colgate did not have an open date. We played Rutgers for many years and contested the Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Cup. It was a terrific rivalry until the 1990's.

PaladinFan
March 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
just because the play for big10 schools doesn't make them any good :)

Franks Tanks
March 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Too bad Colgate did not have an open date. We played Rutgers for many years and contested the Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Cup. It was a terrific rivalry until the 1990's.

Ya that would be nice. Lehigh and Lafayette also played Rutgers nearly every year until the early to mid-70's. I would love to see the Eastern FBS schools play some of there traditional FCS rivals.

How about a Syracuse vs. Colgate, a BC vs. Holy Cross, Rutgers vs. Lafayette, and Penn State vs. Bucknell. We need these games!!!

danefan
March 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
just because the play for big10 schools doesn't make them any good :)

True.

But in all seriousness. Keep an eye on Will Hill heading to Florida this year. I've seen him play in person and he's the real deal. Very Vince Young type of QB who can also drop back. He's got great mechanics and should have a great career at Florida, whether its at QB, WR or even DB.

He's #3 in this video (he does get picked off but you can see his talent):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrhpTcc0bag

Go...gate
March 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Ya that would be nice. Lehigh and Lafayette also played Rutgers nearly every year until the early to mid-70's. I would love to see the Eastern FBS schools play some of there traditional FCS rivals.

How about a Syracuse vs. Colgate, a BC vs. Holy Cross, Rutgers vs. Lafayette, and Penn State vs. Bucknell. We need these games!!!

Amen. Princeton-Rutgers, Yale-Army and Penn-Navy were also a great games.

Franks Tanks
March 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Very true -- Army seems deathly afraid to play an Ivy or Patriot League school at this juncture. It must stem from 2002 when they lost to a Holy Cross team that ended up finishing 4-7 xlolx

JoltinJoe
March 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Don't be surprised if Rutgers hosts either URI, Albany or Fordham on 9/6.

Maybe URI plays at Rutgers, and Albany plays Fordham. No inside info; just a guess. xtwocentsx

danefan
March 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Maybe URI plays at Rutgers, and Albany plays Fordham. No inside info; just a guess. xtwocentsx

xlolx Seriously. Nobody wants to respond to my emails either.

It actually would make sense for URI to play Rutgers on the 6th. Frees up the scheduling conflict with Albany/Fordham.

I for one would love to play Rutgers, but until we qualify as a counter, that ain't happening. Stony Brook is, however, at Rutgers next year (2009) I think.xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM

would never work....makes too much sense

schmofstra
March 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
There seems to be more political pressure from state capitals lately to have your big state university book its sacrificial lambs from within the state. That way the big payday goes into the pockets of the constituents of some state legislator. The smaller schools' athletic administrations and in-state alumni get involved in this lobbying, it seems.

I have noticed this especially in college basketball but I suspect it's happening in football too.

Consequently, for Rutgers, that would point to a date with Monmouth. Not sure if Monmouth's existing sked could accommodate this, however.

Or, hmm, with Princeton. Don't the Ivys start the week AFTER this open date?

elcid96
March 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Many are as NJ has excellent high school football believe it or not. The rosters of Boston College, Penn State, Notre Dame, Wisconson and other Big Ten Schools have many NJ guys. For years Penn State recruited loads of excellent players from Jersey, and actually the fact that other schools raid the state now is a partial contributor to there talent drop-off.

Last time I checked, the Big 10 sucked.

Go...gate
March 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
There seems to be more political pressure from state capitals lately to have your big state university book its sacrificial lambs from within the state. That way the big payday goes into the pockets of the constituents of some state legislator. The smaller schools' athletic administrations and in-state alumni get involved in this lobbying, it seems.

I have noticed this especially in college basketball but I suspect it's happening in football too.

Consequently, for Rutgers, that would point to a date with Monmouth. Not sure if Monmouth's existing sked could accommodate this, however.

Or, hmm, with Princeton. Don't the Ivys start the week AFTER this open date?

Unfortunately, yes. The game is a guaranteed money-maker, too.

JMG1MON
March 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I never saw it but I will trust the guys on the Rivals board that RU has stated it will be played on the 27th of Sept. There is a huge debate about this game going on the rivals board. Fans are pissed off that they have to play 2 FCS teams in the same year.

PaladinFan
March 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I never saw it but I will trust the guys on the Rivals board that RU has stated it will be played on the 27th of Sept. There is a huge debate about this game going on the rivals board. Fans are pissed off that they have to play 2 FCS teams in the same year.

With Rutgers it could be detrimental. If they want a shot at a BCS game and play two FCS teams, they will have to win their conference and just about go undefeated.

Compare that with UGA, who, with next years schedule, could schedule 3 FCS teams and still have about the toughest SOS in the country.

Franks Tanks
March 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Last time I checked, the Big 10 sucked.

Please they may not be the best conference in the land but they are NO worse than 4th best. Must I remind you that the Big Ten continues to have a winning record vs the SEC in bowl games. xrulesx

CopperCat
March 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Montana State has a couple dates left to fill, so what the heck!xthumbsupx

Keeper
March 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Various published reports say Rutgers 12th opponent
will be at home on September 27th.

Here is a list of FCS teams still with vacancy on that date
and opportunity to add at least one more game.

Missouri State
Nicholls State
Montana State
William & Mary
Illinois State
Western Illinois
Cal Poly
NC Central
Duquense
Tenn Tech
Bucknell
Jackson St
Miss Valley St
Alabama St
North Dakota St
Barring any FBS changes, it has to be one of these schools.
Predictions, anyone??

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Bill & Mary. They have played Rutgers intermittently through the years.

YaleFootballFan
March 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM

The Yale-Army rivalry will be renewed in 2010 in West Point. The two schools will square off again in 2012 in West Point and again in 2014 at Yale Bowl.

poly51
March 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
It is being discussed on the Fresno State board that Kansas State wants out of their 9/27 game with the Bulldogs. Some of the fans of both Rutgers and Fresno State want them to play each other but niether is willing to agree to an away game. Cal Poly would be great against either one but already have 2 FBS games. 3 would be OK with me.

colorless raider
March 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
The Yale-Army rivalry will be renewed in 2010 in West Point. The two schools will square off again in 2012 in West Point and again in 2014 at Yale Bowl.

I believe the Yale-Army series has been cancelled.

RabidRabbit
March 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
How about those Montana Grizzleys?

Naw,xsmiley_wix hafta give up a game against USD @ home xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just kiddin' Didn't check Griz schedule

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I believe the Yale-Army series has been cancelled.

Yes, I believe this is correct. Army also pulled out of a game with Colgate in 2010.

UNHWildCats
March 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Yes, I believe this is correct. Army also pulled out of a game with Colgate in 2010.
Their practicing pullout techniques for when Bush is out of office.

RadMann
March 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
According to the Rutgers' Rivals board they might be playing NDSU.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=111901507&mid=111901507&sid=988&style=2

otto4pres
March 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
We would, but we don't want to hurt our SoS

Franks Tanks
March 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Various published reports say Rutgers 12th opponent
will be at home on September 27th.

Here is a list of FCS teams still with vacancy on that date
and opportunity to add at least one more game.

Missouri State
Nicholls State
Montana State
William & Mary
Illinois State
Western Illinois
Cal Poly
NC Central
Duquense
Tenn Tech
Bucknell
Jackson St
Miss Valley St
Alabama St
North Dakota St
Barring any FBS changes, it has to be one of these schools.
Predictions, anyone??

Perhaps Schiano can line up a game with his Alma Mater Bucknell? Ok probbaly not happening, but there are no slam dunk choices on that list, but who knows they played Norfolk State last year xeyebrowx

ngineer
March 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Perhaps Schiano can line up a game with his Alma Mater Bucknell? Ok probbaly not happening, but there are no slam dunk choices on that list, but who knows they played Norfolk State last year xeyebrowx

Have to check if that open date for Bucknell is meant to be. I don't think they were looking for a game. Most schools want one bye week.

Go Bison
March 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
According to the Rutgers' Rivals board they might be playing NDSU.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=111901507&mid=111901507&sid=988&style=2

Thanks for posting that link. NDSU was looking at scheduling Rutgers until Wyoming came calling. NDSU's schedule is full for 2008 with 11 games.

I see they quoted a couple of NDSU's FBS wins last year in the link, but the Central Michigan score is wrong. It should be 44-14. It looks better as a 30 point victory xthumbsupx against the MAC champion.

nwFL Griz
March 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
The rutgers board says they were talkiung about playing at Rutgers, until Wyoming called...so I think NDSU is out.

I also think Nicholls is out, because they are playing 2 FBS teams already.

Same with Tenn Tech, already have 2 FBS games.

Illinois St...maybe, but with Marshall already on the schedule, this is leaning toward doubtful.

Missouri St...same as ISU, already at Oklahoma St.

Montana St...same as ISU, already have Minnesota.

William & Mary....same as ISU, already have NC St.

Western Illinois...same as ISU, already have Arkansas.

Cal Poly...same as ISU, already have San Diego St.

NC Central...good candidate, no FBS, no real playoff aspirations, so FBS coupled with a non-counter is ok.

Duquesne...don't know, haven't seen their whole schedule, but no FBS yet. Possible candidate.

Bucknell....good candidate, haven't seen their whole schedule yet, but possible.

Jackson St...this is the one I like. If Rutgers were smart, this is the one they'd bring in.

Miss Valley St....possible, haven't seen whole schedule yet, but possible.

Alabama St...same as ISU, already have UAB.

As I said, for the schools that already have one FBS, it's not impossible, just unlikely, unless their Athletic Department needs a financial boost.

poly51
March 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
The rutgers board says they were talkiung about playing at Rutgers, until Wyoming called...so I think NDSU is out.

I also think Nicholls is out, because they are playing 2 FBS teams already.

Same with Tenn Tech, already have 2 FBS games.

Illinois St...maybe, but with Marshall already on the schedule, this is leaning toward doubtful.

Missouri St...same as ISU, already at Oklahoma St.

Montana St...same as ISU, already have Minnesota.

William & Mary....same as ISU, already have NC St.

Western Illinois...same as ISU, already have Arkansas.

Cal Poly...same as ISU, already have San Diego St.

NC Central...good candidate, no FBS, no real playoff aspirations, so FBS coupled with a non-counter is ok.

Duquesne...don't know, haven't seen their whole schedule, but no FBS yet. Possible candidate.

Bucknell....good candidate, haven't seen their whole schedule yet, but possible.

Jackson St...this is the one I like. If Rutgers were smart, this is the one they'd bring in.

Miss Valley St....possible, haven't seen whole schedule yet, but possible.

Alabama St...same as ISU, already have UAB.

As I said, for the schools that already have one FBS, it's not impossible, just unlikely, unless their Athletic Department needs a financial boost.

Cal Poly already has San Diego State and Wisconsin.

Keeper
March 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM
It is being discussed on the Fresno State board that Kansas State wants out of their 9/27 game with the Bulldogs. Some of the fans of both Rutgers and Fresno State want them to play each other but niether is willing to agree to an away game. Cal Poly would be great against either one but already have 2 FBS games. 3 would be OK with me.

Yessir, many of those comments on Rutgers chat boards as well.
Seems that KSU wants an "easier" opponent than Fresno and desires
an FCS opponent Sept 6th. The hangup is Fresno finding another
team AND negotiating the $500K buyout by KSU. The feeling is that
RU would prefer a name FBS opponent as well, so unless another FBS
team backs out somewhere, an FCS team is their last minute fill.

So then, who's available to step up and knock off K-State on Sept 6??

CSUBUCDAD
March 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
See sig belowxthumbsupx

Go...gate
March 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM
They have also played Bucknell several times before, through the mid 1970's.

LehighFan11
March 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Any PL team vs. Rutgers would be extremely ugly right now.

danefan
March 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Duquense won't happen as they're aren't a counter yet.

RadMann
March 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks for posting that link. NDSU was looking at scheduling Rutgers until Wyoming came calling. NDSU's schedule is full for 2008 with 11 games.

I see they quoted a couple of NDSU's FBS wins last year in the link, but the Central Michigan score is wrong. It should be 44-14. It looks better as a 30 point victory xthumbsupx against the MAC champion.

I posted in that thread and I had the score correct.

seahawkfan2007
March 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Likely to be Fresno State or Kentucky. Doubtful that RU will play 2 FCS schools in the same year and Howard's already on the slate.