PDA

View Full Version : Contenders and Pretenders

Stang Fever
September 28th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Its Week 5 getting close to mid-season...so far we have seen at 4 games from most teams. Who do you think is a true Contender for the playoffs, Confrence title, and National Title.

I would ask you to list a couple teams.

FightinBluHen51
September 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Its Week 5 getting close to mid-season...so far we have seen at 4 games from most teams. Who do you think is a true Contender for the playoffs, Confrence title, and National Title.

I would ask you to list a couple teams.
YOU STOLE MY IDEA! But I was seriously gonna wait a week as some teams have yet to play a conference game. It's too hard to tell right now, but I think next week we'll see some emmergence.

Pard94
September 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
While there have been some suprises in the Patriot (Bucknell, Fordham, etc.), I think everyone thought that Lehigh and Lafayette would be the top contenders. I agree with FBH51 that it is tough to call with so few league games under the belt. That being said, it would appear that the Lafayette vs. Lehigh game could once again decide the PL Champ. Miles to go before we sleep though.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I'm tempted to say Texas State - San Marcos is a contender. The Bobcats have looked solid, but I need to see them on the road against some I-AA competition. I think the Bobcats trip to Hammond will tell us a lot about the Bobcats who have struggled on the road for ages. Trip to a surprising Nicholls team may provide some more insight. Northwestern State goes to San Marcos. Winner could have inside track to SLC title. Then again, the Demons are perplexing now as well...

Give me a few more weeks...

HensRock
September 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
1. New Hampshire Contender
2. Western Kentucky Contender but jury still out
3. Delaware Pretender
4. Montana Pretender
5. Southern Illinois Pretender
6. Northern Iowa Pretender
7. James Madison Pretender
8. Furman - no idea
9. Cal Poly Contender
10. North Dakota State Contender (if only they were eligible)
11. Eastern Washington Pretender
12. Lehigh Pretender
13. Hampton Pretender
14. Harvard Contender
15. Appalachian State Contender
16. Montana State Contender
17. South Carolina State Contender
18. William & Mary Pretender
19. Western Carolina Contender
20. Massachusetts Contender
21. Texas State Contender
22. Northwestern State not sure
23. Hofstra Contender
24. Portland State - no idea
25. Wofford Pretender

CatFan22
September 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
NDSU would be a contender if they were eligable.

HensRock
September 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM
NDSU would be a contender if they were eligable.

That's what I meant to say!
(fixed above)

Proud Griz Man
September 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Too soon to evaluate most of the teams.
The main one to catch my attention thus far (based on scoreboard watching) is New Hampshire. They sound scary good!

Cocky
September 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Winner of JSU v EKU game- Contender

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I think if Lehigh wins in Cambridge they'll jump into contender status. They have to prove they can beat a top 15 team first. Right now i agree they're a pretender but they're straddling the fence.

JMUfan2008
September 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
what's JMU gonna have to do to be a contender? just because they lost one fluke game by 4 points everyone thinks they're nobodys now

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Yikes, tough to go so far as picking the NC, but IMO for the playoffs, in no particular order...

Contenders - Montana, Lehigh, AppSt, UMass, UNH, Hampton, UNI, WKU, CalPoly

Pretenders - WCU, Texas St, SFA, PSU, Lafayette, URI, Villanova UT-Martin, Illinois State

JMU Duke Dog
September 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
what's JMU gonna have to do to be a contender? just because they lost one fluke game by 4 points everyone thinks they're nobodys now

It's okay for people outside JMU to consider the Dukes a pretender as JMU played best in the underdog role in the 2004 season. A lot of people on here have yet to see JMU play this season so just let them think whatever they want to whether JMU is a contender or pretender. We will all get a better idea of where JMU stands when they travel to Hofstra this upcoming weekend.

Here are my opinions for whatever they are worth:
Contenders - Appalachian State, Cal Poly, New Hampshire, Texas State
Pretenders - Delaware, Eastern Washington, Furman, Harvard, Lehigh, Western Kentucky

SoCon48
September 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yikes, tough to go so far as picking the NC, but IMO for the playoffs, in no particular order...

Contenders - Montana, Lehigh, AppSt, UMass, UNH, Hampton, UNI, WKU, CalPoly

Pretenders - WCU, Texas St, SFA, PSU, Lafayette, URI, Villanova UT-Martin, Illinois State

If Furman turns out to be a bust this year, I'll agree about WCU. If not,then WCU is a contender.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
If Furman turns out to be a bust this year, I'll agree about WCU. If not,then WCU is a contender.
WCU will have to hoe their own road irregardless of how Furman turns out.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
WCU will have to hoe their own road irregardless of how Furman turns out.

WCU just beat the dog crap out of Furman. If Furman is for real, then WCU is for real. WCU currently has the best defensive stats in the SoCon. I would not be at allo surprised to see WCU run the table in the SoCon right up until they face ASU.

OL FU
September 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
As someone else said, depends on contender for playoffs or NC?.

Even with our ups and downs, I think it would be difficult not to consider FU a contender for the playoffs. NC looks a lot more distant than in pre-season, but in my opinion it looked pretty distant even then.

ASU, Wofford WCU and GSU have to be playoff contenders. GSU with the biggest disadvantage with two losses. However, I still don't know how the Nichols cancellation impacts Western. Western has to go undefeated to win 7 D-I games. If they go undefeated then they get the auto-bid. If they lose one and don't get the auto-bid, are they playoff eligible? I hope so but I don't know.

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Isnt this how you won the National Championship last year, with no ones respect until you won it... I wouldnt be complaining!!!

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Pretenders - Illinois State

I cant argue with you right now we NEED to win @ YSU and win home games vs WKU and UNI which isnt out of the question, but history is NOT on our side!!! Maybe if all 3 of these happen we can move to the contender side of the equation but 1st things 1st, beat Y'Town St

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM
WCU just beat the dog crap out of Furman. If Furman is for real, then WCU is for real.
:confused:

2004 Missouri State (6-5) over Sam Houston 33-31: Kats 11-3 National Semifinalist
2003 Northeastern (5-3 A10) over Delaware 24-14: Hens 15-1 National Champions
2002 ETSU (4-8) over GSU 19-16: Eagles 12-2 National Semifinalist
2001 Illinois State (2-9) over UNI 42-14: UNI 11-3 National Semifinalist

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
FU a contender for the playoffs... ASU, Wofford WCU and GSU have to be playoff contenders.
C'mon FU, you can't name everyone! I doubt the SoCon gets five spots this year. :p

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
2001 Illinois State (2-9) over UNI 42-14: UNI 11-3 National Semifinalist

AHHHHH Sweet memories!!! Too bad we couldnt bottle up the energy from that game and save it for a rainy day!!!

putter
September 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Montana is somewhere in the middle. I would not call them a complete contender nor a complete pretender. With our D we are definitely a contender but our O makes us a pretender. However, if D wins championships, we have a shot.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
However, if D wins championships, we have a shot.
We have our first fan guaranteeing a National Championship! :eek: ;)

OL FU
September 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
C'mon FU, you can't name everyone! I doubt the SoCon gets five spots this year. :p

I can do whatever I darn well please :p

They are all contenders, they will not all get in. When you have a championship boxing match both fighters are contenders but only one will win.

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
When you have a championship boxing match both fighters are contenders but only one will win.
Actually, isn't one the champion and the other a contender before the fight too? :p

Saint3333
September 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM
It's early, but here would be my 16 (19) playoffs teams.

NH
WKU
Delaware
Montana
SIU
N. Iowa
Furman
Cal Poly
Lehigh
Hampton
ASU (or WCU)
Montana State
Texas State
Bill & Mary
JSU/EKU-OVC Champs (I predict EKU)
JMU (or UMass)

Of course I hold the right to change these every week as I'm sure only about 60% of these teams will actually make the playoffs. It's early, but here would be my 16 (19).

OL FU
September 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Actually, isn't one the champion and the other a contender before the fight too? :p

Well in that case FU and GSU are the SoCon champions and every one else are the contenders. :D

Stang Fever
September 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
3. Delaware Pretender
4. Montana Pretender in the games they have played there offense has looked terrible.
5. Southern Illinois Pretender Just not sold on there run game just yet...its hard to replace those two great players they lost last year
6. Northern Iowa Pretender cant say that they have played anyone...once the comp gets better they will fall
7. James Madison Contender I cant call the NC pretenders
8. Furman - Pretenders but can pull it off and make it
9. Cal Poly Contender
11. Eastern Washington Pretender Have not lived up to the hype...so unless they show me something in the next two weeks they will stay pretenders
12. Lehigh Pretender PL confrence is pretenders. who ever wins the conf. still looses in the first round
13. Hampton Pretender
14. Harvard Pretenders no doubt they will win the IVY LEague...doesnt say much about them either. Play the best around and i will stop beating up on the Ivy and the PL for that matter
16. Montana State Pretender/Contendercould go either way. BSC is tough this year. next two weeks will tell
18. William & Mary ContenderI believe they will go far in the playoffs
23. Hofstra Contender
24. Portland State - Pretender...will loose a lot more games then they will win in October
25. Wofford Pretender[/QUOTE]

DotCat
September 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Exactly.

DotCat
September 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
However, I still don't know how the Nichols cancellation impacts Western. Western has to go undefeated to win 7 D-I games. If they go undefeated then they get the auto-bid. If they lose one and don't get the auto-bid, are they playoff eligible? I hope so but I don't know.

That's the big question right now. WCU just has to do it's job each and every week the rest of the season. Then they will have nothing to worry about. If we lose just one, it's up in the air???

kats89
September 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Texas St has looked good so far and would say that they have the advantage to win the SLC right now, BUT given their history of fast starts and slow finishes, I won't say they are a contender until they get a couple of Southland Conference games under their belt. Everyone knows that anything can and usually does happen in the Southland Conference. I think just about anyone can make some serious noise in the conference at this point.

swaghook
September 28th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I would also say the if UC-Davis were eligible they would be contenders as well.

Dallas Demon
September 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Texas St has looked good so far and would say that they have the advantage to win the SLC right now, BUT given their history of fast starts and slow finishes, I won't say they are a contender until they get a couple of Southland Conference games under their belt. Everyone knows that anything can and usually does happen in the Southland Conference. I think just about anyone can make some serious noise in the conference at this point.

Agreed. Texas St. is definitely looking good and could win the conference. However, they have NEVER done this. They have something to prove as they also started out fast last year. It will be interesting to see who gets hot when conference play starts.

blur2005
September 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Well, I am going to hold off on this until I see a few league games. Maybe in Week 6, perhaps next week, I'll feel I can make some valid opinions. I'm interested to see some of the surprise teams this week and see if they are for real, like Western Carolina, Youngstown/Ill St., Texas St., etc.

rcny46
September 28th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I just have this sneaking suspicion that the U of NH will end up on the pretender side of the ledger before too long.I might as well chime in with a contender while I'm at it: Texas State.I also like Montana and Cal Poly.

Brad82
September 28th, 2005, 07:24 PM
If Rhody goes 5-1 they are a contender. Umass and UNH can be top 4 teams.

siugrad99
September 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Hmm SIU pretender... Ok, obviously basing your thoughts off past experience (fair), but i'll respectfully disagree. Funny to see some of your contenders if SIU is a pretender, but to each his own

putter
September 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM
We have our first fan guaranteeing a National Championship! :eek: ;)

Taking a little liberty with my post aren't ya now Hen!? ;)

kats89
September 29th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Agreed. Texas St. is definitely looking good and could win the conference. However, they have NEVER done this. They have something to prove as they also started out fast last year. It will be interesting to see who gets hot when conference play starts.

IMO, Nicholls St could be the sleeper this year. Tx State is starting to bow their chest out a bit. They had better be careful. We bowed our chest out a little when we went to NW St and we got spanked around and folded up like a cheap tent. Tx State better realize reall quick that they will have a bullseye on their backs if they have some success in the conference this year. Speaking from experience, an upset is coming.

Black and Gold Express
September 29th, 2005, 08:32 AM

For starters, beat a good, or even decent, team when you face one. You lost to the only one that would qualify. Fluke or not.

Jury's still out on JMU, for sure.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Exactly.

So if Furman wins out and WCU loses out, WCU will still be considered a contender? :cool: :bang:

SoCon48
September 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
So if Furman wins out and WCU loses out, WCU will still be considered a contender? :cool: :bang:

Duh. WCU isn't going to lose out. Surely your "pretender" designation wasn't based on that premise. :eek:

WCU's beat down of Furman looks even better after the "Furmans" defeated Hoffie. And Hoffie is a supposed "contender"
Yeah right.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 29th, 2005, 09:03 AM
IMO, Nicholls St could be the sleeper this year. Tx State is starting to bow their chest out a bit. They had better be careful. We bowed our chest out a little when we went to NW St and we got spanked around and folded up like a cheap tent. Tx State better realize reall quick that they will have a bullseye on their backs if they have some success in the conference this year. Speaking from experience, an upset is coming.

Bow our chest out a bit?? Who's doing that? We haven't played a game since even REMOTELY having a right to do this (A&M game). Unless you're going off the reaction of fans and media, who really have no connection to what the players and coaches are doing...

Given our history, we're definitely not looking past anyone, ESPECIALLY in a conference as topsy-tervy as the Southland. But, I'm with most of you--Texas State has to prove something in conference and on the road before being a contender. Too bad all 11 of our games aren't in San Marcos. ;)

Right now, TxSt. is a pretender along with the rest of the SLC. We'll just have to see come conference time.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM
WCU isn't going to lose out. Surely your "pretender" designation wasn't based on that premise.
No, my premise is that WCU will be judged on what THEY do from here out, not what Furman does from here out. Furman's performance from here out has NOTHING to do with WCU's standing as a contender or pretender. :deadhorse

kats89
September 29th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Bow our chest out a bit?? Who's doing that? We haven't played a game since even REMOTELY having a right to do this (A&M game). Unless you're going off the reaction of fans and media, who really have no connection to what the players and coaches are doing...

Given our history, we're definitely not looking past anyone, ESPECIALLY in a conference as topsy-tervy as the Southland. But, I'm with most of you--Texas State has to prove something in conference and on the road before being a contender. Too bad all 11 of our games aren't in San Marcos. ;)

Right now, TxSt. is a pretender along with the rest of the SLC. We'll just have to see come conference time.

I'm not meaning it as smack talk at all. Just making a point that Tx State needs to be carefull about confidence this early. I think SHSU last year got a little over confident late in the year after we smacked SFA and then we went to NW St the next week and got our azzes handed to us. Agreed, Southland Conference is a mess right now.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM
No, my premise is that WCU will be judged on what THEY do from here out, not what Furman does from here out. Furman's performance from here out has NOTHING to do with WCU's standing as a contender or pretender. :deadhorse

Oh. I didn't know that performance against common opponents meant nothing. Somehow, it won me tons of bets over the years.

FightinBluHen51
September 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM
It's okay for people outside JMU to consider the Dukes a pretender as JMU played best in the underdog role in the 2004 season. A lot of people on here have yet to see JMU play this season so just let them think whatever they want to whether JMU is a contender or pretender. We will all get a better idea of where JMU stands when they travel to Hofstra this upcoming weekend.

Here are my opinions for whatever they are worth:
Contenders - Appalachian State, Cal Poly, New Hampshire, Texas State
Pretenders - Delaware, Eastern Washington, Furman, Harvard, Lehigh, Western Kentucky
JMU is a pretender right now because you've played 3 games, haven't had an A10 conf. game yet, and you lost to someone you shouldn't have.

It's the same reason that Delaware is still a pretender (borderline contender) only because they've beaten Lehigh (top 15 team by my accounts) an above average DII WCUPA, and an above average Holy Cross.

You haven't beaten all the teams you should have as of right now, and honestly, your compeition has been weaker than Delaware's and they = a pretender right now too. Talk to me after this weekend when all of the A10 (at least) has gotten 1 conf. game under their belts, that's why this is a week early, and I figured people would get peeved when you call the pretenders just that as of right now. :eyes:

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Oh. I didn't know that performance against common opponents meant nothing. Somehow, it won me tons of bets over the years.
:confused: I have no idea what you're even talking about anymore. Last time I checked WCU had 11 opponents. They will be judged by the Selection Committee on how they perform against their 11 opponents, not how one of the opponents they beat performs for the rest of the year.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

SoCon48
September 29th, 2005, 11:59 AM
:confused: I have no idea what you're even talking about anymore. Last time I checked WCU had 11 opponents. They will be judged by the Selection Committee on how they perform against their 11 opponents, not how one of the opponents they beat performs for the rest of the year.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

You mean if Coastal and WCU are up for a slot and Furman has done really well that the committee won't look at that win by WCU over the Dins?? As well as how they both performed vs ASU? Surely you jest. :D

BTW, WCU does not have ELEVEN opponents this year. They actually have only NINE!

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM
You mean if Coastal and WCU are up for a slot and Furman has done really well that the committee won't look at that win by WCU over the Dins?? As well as how they both performed vs ASU? Surely you jest. :D

BTW, WCU does not have ELEVEN opponents this year. They actually have only NINE!
We must be talking about two different things. In order to even be in a position to be considered by the Committee, WCU will have to win more games this year. Hence, WCU will be judged on how they play the rest of their games. They will be a contender if they continue to win. I picked them as a "pretender" because I think they will not beat GSU or ASU and maybe not Wofford either, but that's just my guess.

As for the nine games, you might be F'd already then. Mars Hill gets tossed out, giving you only 8 games that the Committee will view. You've lost one, meaning the only way WCU gets a bid is if they run the table. WCU will NOT get a bid with only 6 DI wins. I'm even more inclined to dub WCU a "pretender" knowing that. Sorry.

WCU LawCat
September 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
You both make good points, just have different points of view. WCU needs Furman to win out. If WCU does lose another game and Furman win's out, WCU gets the auto bid with a 7-2 record and 6 D-I wins. I'm sure that would be a record of some sort.

Granite
September 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I just have this sneaking suspicion that the U of NH will end up on the pretender side of the ledger before too long.I might as well chime in with a contender while I'm at it: Texas State.I also like Montana and Cal Poly.

I'm curious - what makes you think that, rcny46? Concerns about the Defense? Because from what I've seen so far + UNH's schedule the rest of the way, I think we'll be contenders all season long. I do have some concerns about the "bend but don't break" defense based on what I've seen early in the season, but the offense's ability to put up big numbers consistently + Chip Kelly's constant innovation (like using the option last week vs. Dartmouth) is why I'm bullish about UNH's chances this year.

Chi Panther
September 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Granite...

I happen to think the bend but don't break Defense is the best way to play.

IT keeps you in the game against high quality competition....and against infearior comp....as soon as your high power offense takes charge....other team starts to play catch up...and the TOs start.

Some teams are good with an aggressive defense (ie. WKU, Cal-Poly) but it makes me nervous to play that style.

Dallas Demon
September 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not meaning it as smack talk at all. Just making a point that Tx State needs to be carefull about confidence this early. I think SHSU last year got a little over confident late in the year after we smacked SFA and then we went to NW St the next week and got our azzes handed to us. Agreed, Southland Conference is a mess right now.

I'd have to characterize Northwestern St.'s position now as "Contending to be Pretending". :(

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I'd have to characterize Northwestern St.'s position now as "Contending to be Pretending". :(

It is way too early to tell who is going to do what in the Southland. The hurricanes have destroyed the beginning of the season. All are contenders right now. We have to realize that we all may even be pretenders but the one with the best record will win the conference and go to the playoffs.

Tod
September 29th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by putter
However, if D wins championships, we have a shot.

We have our first fan guaranteeing a National Championship!

Hen, if this is how well you comprehend what you read, no wonder you hate the media so much. I think AZGriz has the same problem. ;) ;) ;)

rcny46
September 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'm curious - what makes you think that, rcny46? Concerns about the Defense? Because from what I've seen so far + UNH's schedule the rest of the way, I think we'll be contenders all season long. I do have some concerns about the "bend but don't break" defense based on what I've seen early in the season, but the offense's ability to put up big numbers consistently + Chip Kelly's constant innovation (like using the option last week vs. Dartmouth) is why I'm bullish about UNH's chances this year.

I just think that when they go in against the better teams on their schedule,that defense will bend too much.I know their schedule this year is easier relative to last year's,but UMass,Hofstra,and W&M on the road will be tough.They also have games with Maine,Northeastern and URI in which they will be tested.You never know in this league.I'm no expert by any means,so I could very easily be wrong.

LUHawker
September 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
12. Lehigh Pretender PL confrence is pretenders. who ever wins the conf. still looses in the first round
[/QUOTE]

Oookay tough guy. Yeah, you're right, the PL conference is pretenders. A little history lesson for you. Lehigh has made the quarterfinals three times since 99, Colgate went to the NC finals and Fordham went to the quarters a couple of years ago. PL isn't destined to lose in the first round.

But, given CP's recent history in the playoffs you really are in a great position to make this call. Oh, wait, you don't have any recent playoff experience.

Stang Fever
September 30th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Oookay tough guy. Yeah, you're right, the PL conference is pretenders. A little history lesson for you. Lehigh has made the quarterfinals three times since 99, Colgate went to the NC finals and Fordham went to the quarters a couple of years ago. PL isn't destined to lose in the first round.

But, given CP's recent history in the playoffs you really are in a great position to make this call. Oh, wait, you don't have any recent playoff experience.

Everyone always wants to talk about history, history, history...thats all i hear on here...you know whats its all history...so what if you went that far a few years back...that was awhole different team....I am all about right now and right now...the PL in its past history is a great confrence...but right now is not one of those championship run confrences....

You act like i am on here saying Cal Poly is going to win it all...I have not once said that...dont even recall saying Poly will be in the Playoffs for that matter....(I do believe we can make it if we win some hard fought games).

when i posted the Contender Pretender thread....it was not to talk about what teams have done in the past...its about what you have seen thus far this season...and only this season...so from what i have read about (obviously i havent seen anygames) it seems to me that the PL or Lehigh is a pretender...for the playoffs...and whoever wins the PL in my opinon will only go so far as the first round (any team can make it to the second round if they get an easy team that they match up well with), i just dont see it happening...but if it does trust i will be the first to say I was wrong

Chi Panther
September 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Good Post Stang Fever.

Here is my opinion on why you will continue to here sooo much about HISTORY on here.....

When the playoffs roll around......teams try to win in places like Missoula, Mont., Newark, Del., Statesboro, Ga., Cedar Falls, Iowa, Boone, N.C. and Lake Charles, La.

Yes, these teams do lose at home.......but not very often.....

EVERYONE is proud of Tradition/History......

GoGSU
September 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM
WCU will lose at least one game this year.............10/8/05 at Statesboro.....with GSU's back against the wall......WCU will lose.....take it to the bank. (and it won't even be close)

Stang Fever
September 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Good Post Stang Fever.

Here is my opinion on why you will continue to here sooo much about HISTORY on here.....

When the playoffs roll around......teams try to win in places like Missoula, Mont., Newark, Del., Statesboro, Ga., Cedar Falls, Iowa, Boone, N.C. and Lake Charles, La.

Yes, these teams do lose at home.......but not very often.....

EVERYONE is proud of Tradition/History......

You are so right about those places...but trust me its not the history why they win games there...Its the crowd...its hard to win at those places...when you have 20+ screaming on every play it makes for what most people call home field advantage...

Think about...most of those places i.e Montana there is nothing else up there...they are the only show in town so of course the community is going to wrap around them...There is nobody going up to Montana taking there star athletes (well not all of them). they dont have to compete with USC, UCLA....etc. (now of course there are other states like GA who does compete with bigger schools....like GA SOuthern...but they run an option attack...when run right it levels the field so much in your favor. so GA Southern all they have to do is recruit people for there system.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Hmm SIU pretender... Ok, obviously basing your thoughts off past experience (fair), but i'll respectfully disagree. Funny to see some of your contenders if SIU is a pretender, but to each his own

What he said (I think).
:D

Tod
September 30th, 2005, 09:53 PM
You are so right about those places...but trust me its not the history why they win games there...Its the crowd...its hard to win at those places...when you have 20+ screaming on every play it makes for what most people call home field advantage...

Think about...most of those places i.e Montana there is nothing else up there...they are the only show in town so of course the community is going to wrap around them...There is nobody going up to Montana taking there star athletes (well not all of them). they dont have to compete with USC, UCLA....etc. (now of course there are other states like GA who does compete with bigger schools....like GA SOuthern...but they run an option attack...when run right it levels the field so much in your favor. so GA Southern all they have to do is recruit people for there system.

Were still 9-0 against Cal-Poly, so stick it. :mad:

PhantomCAT
September 30th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Were still 9-0 against Cal-Poly, so stick it. :mad:

That should go to 9-1 in a few weeks. CP stuck it to Mr. Lulay and he is soooooooooo much better than JW for the griz. The griz have a tremendous Defense, but they will lose 2 out of 3 phases of the ball game. That generally equals a LOSS. Berquist should start and change things up. If I was coaching WEBER, I would stack the line of scrimmage with all 11 defenders and make JW complete just 1 pass for the win. My money is on Weber.

With Lulay at QB, MSU is a BIG TIME CONTENDER

boozeANDammo
October 1st, 2005, 12:28 AM

Long time viewer, newbie poster. Wanna say "hola" to all the cats on here... lots of good banter and info. Keep up the great coms!

While I've hesitated to post on this forum, this one statement from a fellow fan kinda got my ire. '08, what in the name of insanity made you post this? Clearly, we're a pretender in the eyes of most 1-AA... uhhh, wait a sec... I-AA followers (that's for you Ralph)... that happened to noticed we LOST a game. Lost a game to Coastal Carolina! Not to bash CCU at all, the simple fact remains is that was a contest we clearly should have won. That team in Conway, while talented, clearly should not have beaten us. But guess what, they did and as a consequence, we have a ton of proving to do in order to get back that respect we lost amongst this community. Like it or not, we're pretenders right now, though a win up in Hempstead will go a long way in showing that we're not.

Go DUKES!

Grizo406
October 1st, 2005, 01:50 AM
Lulay is a big time contender, and anyone that thinks otherwise is just plain goofy!

Too bad you aren't coaching Weber.

With your "solid" game plan against the Griz, there are a lot of fans in Missoula that would thank you for putting 11 players in the box, not the least of which is JW, and his receivers.

Tod
October 1st, 2005, 02:28 AM
That should go to 9-1 in a few weeks. CP stuck it to Mr. Lulay and he is soooooooooo much better than JW for the griz. The griz have a tremendous Defense, but they will lose 2 out of 3 phases of the ball game. That generally equals a LOSS. Berquist should start and change things up. If I was coaching WEBER, I would stack the line of scrimmage with all 11 defenders and make JW complete just 1 pass for the win. My money is on Weber.

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jas. Washington 3 109.64 69-38-2 55.1 378 3 51 126.0

Uhhhh...hmmmm...Well, his stats are not stellar, but if you were the coach of Weber and followed your own advice, you'd lose, badly. You assume that because our passing game is not up to par with what is was last year, it's non-existent, and that assumption will bite you right in the azz.

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM

Except for when Mr. Lulay plays in the UNI-Dome....although he was a young Freshman Pup.

89Hen
October 1st, 2005, 11:11 PM

WCU - LOST
PSU - LOST
URI - LOST
Villanova - LOST
Illinois State - LOST

DotCat
October 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
WCU - LOST

Our defense is awesome, but our offense is horrible.

89Hen
October 2nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
But "I-AA 2005" should be happy since Furman won, making WCU a contender again. :p

TxSt02
October 2nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
If Texas State wins on the road at SE LA next week then we will be for real... We will win the following week with Panhandle State coming to town putting us at 5-1...

GSUBass
October 2nd, 2005, 12:30 AM
It sucks that WCU has to bounce back from a loss w/ their next game in Statesboro, where GSU already has their backs against the wall and they are starting to hit their stride...

If GSU runs all over WCU next week, GSU may need to be put back in a contender spot.

As of right now I still see GSU as an outsider looking in come playoff time. Wins over UTC and Elon in other years were expected, now it's a measuring stick for our season.

eagleskins
October 2nd, 2005, 02:16 AM
It sucks that WCU has to bounce back from a loss w/ their next game in Statesboro, where GSU already has their backs against the wall and they are starting to hit their stride...

If GSU runs all over WCU next week, GSU may need to be put back in a contender spot.

As of right now I still see GSU as an outsider looking in come playoff time. Wins over UTC and Elon in other years were expected, now it's a measuring stick for our season.

We are starting to roll now. Talent will eventually win out. Foster could be our best QB since Ham. 5 games, 5 100 yard+ rushing games. He is so dangerous. WCU loses big next week in Statesboro.

umassfan
October 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
We are starting to roll now. Talent will eventually win out. Foster could be our best QB since Ham. 5 games, 5 100 yard+ rushing games. He is so dangerous. WCU loses big next week in Statesboro.
Foster cant pass though so that makes GSU easier to beat then URI!

Tribe4SF
October 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM
If Texas State wins on the road at SE LA next week then we will be for real... We will win the following week with Panhandle State coming to town putting us at 5-1...

Texas State really needs to win the Southland to get in the playoffs. If they go 8-3, with two D-II wins, they won't qualify, as they would only have 6 Div. I wins.

BCisforBobcatTX
October 2nd, 2005, 06:42 AM
If we lose one more game we would finish 9-2. If that loss happens to keep us from winning the Southland then I don't understand how the Bobcats could be kept out of the playoffs. I understand I'm very biased, but a 7-2 record against division 1 with one loss to a I-A team and the other to a quality I-AA team should not keep us out. As long as the one loss that we would be able to afford in conference play didn't come against a lower Southland team, I think we'll be okay.

exbearkat
October 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Things will get A LOT clearer in the Southland after next weeks games between Sam Houston/Northwestern State and SELA/TxState.

To me, the losers of these two games is all but out...

Tribe4SF
October 2nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
If we lose one more game we would finish 9-2. If that loss happens to keep us from winning the Southland then I don't understand how the Bobcats could be kept out of the playoffs. I understand I'm very biased, but a 7-2 record against division 1 with one loss to a I-A team and the other to a quality I-AA team should not keep us out. As long as the one loss that we would be able to afford in conference play didn't come against a lower Southland team, I think we'll be okay.

That's why I said 8-3. My guess would be that one loss in conference would give you the Southland title. My point is that, at 8-3, you wouldn't even be considered. Which is a scheduling shame, because you look to have a really fine team.

McNeese75
October 2nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Things will get A LOT clearer in the Southland after next weeks games between Sam Houston/Northwestern State and SELA/TxState.

To me, the losers of these two games is all but out...

:confused: Anyone losing next week and winning the remaining conference should still be in the running for the auto bid.

Toppermaniac
October 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
I cant argue with you right now we NEED to win @ YSU and win home games vs WKU and UNI which isnt out of the question, but history is NOT on our side!!! Maybe if all 3 of these happen we can move to the contender side of the equation but 1st things 1st, beat Y'Town St

Well, now you got the Toppers at your house next week. We've got a lot of defensive injuries, so now would be the time to beat us.

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 01:43 AM
I came across this post and thought it was great to see what people were thinking back in late Sept. and early Oct. of the 2005 season when it came to who they thought were the pretenders and contenders. It was an interesting read.

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I came across this post and thought it was great to see what people were thinking back in late Sept. and early Oct. of the 2005 season when it came to who they thought were the pretenders and contenders. It was an interesting read.

good job finding the thread and interesting to read. How long did you search for this before you found it?:confused: :)

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
good job finding the thread and interesting to read. How long did you search for this before you found it?:confused: :)
I was not looking for it and just stumbled across it. I Thought it was interesting and thought maybe others would too.

Stang Fever
June 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
3. Delaware Pretender
4. Montana Pretender in the games they have played there offense has looked terrible.
5. Southern Illinois Pretender Just not sold on there run game just yet...its hard to replace those two great players they lost last year
6. Northern Iowa Pretender cant say that they have played anyone...once the comp gets better they will fall
7. James Madison Contender I cant call the NC pretenders
8. Furman - Pretenders but can pull it off and make it
9. Cal Poly Contender
11. Eastern Washington Pretender Have not lived up to the hype...so unless they show me something in the next two weeks they will stay pretenders
13. Hampton Pretender
14. Harvard Pretenders no doubt they will win the IVY LEague...doesnt say much about them either. Play the best around and i will stop beating up on the Ivy and the PL for that matter
16. Montana State Pretender/Contendercould go either way. BSC is tough this year. next two weeks will tell
18. William & Mary ContenderI believe they will go far in the playoffs
23. Hofstra Contender
24. Portland State - Pretender...will loose a lot more games then they will win in October
25. Wofford Pretender[/QUOTE]

I missed a few but over all i think i was pretty good......Blew it on UNI though.....:bow: :bow: :bow:

BigDukeDawg
June 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
3. Delaware Pretender
4. Montana Pretender
5. Southern Illinois Pretender
6. Northern Iowa Pretender
7. James Madison Pretender
8. Furman - no idea
9. Cal Poly Contender
11. Eastern Washington Pretender
12. Lehigh Pretender
13. Hampton Pretender
14. Harvard Contender
16. Montana State Contender
18. William & Mary Pretender
23. Hofstra Contender
24. Portland State - no idea
25. Wofford Pretender

I really hope you're kidding with Hofstra being a contender

Stang Fever
June 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Like i said blew a few......but was pretty close on a couple of them.....all in all i think i faired otu pretty well.......But to my defense I copied someone elses post and just edited my picks...i could have just over looked that one