PDA

View Full Version : Coulson predicts Dexter Jackson as "maybe" a first-round pick?

CoastalFan2005
February 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Full Story (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4134594)

For much of the week, Appalachian State wide receiver Dexter Jackson was the talk of the town with a 40-yard dash time that was reported at 4.27 seconds by some hand-held stopwatches. His electronic time of 4.37 was tied for third- best, among all receivers and tied for 10th best overall.

Not ironically, Jackson is one of those track guys. He was the 200-meter champion last year in the Southern Conference, and represented the Mountaineers at the NCAA track and field championships.

Jackson, who also showed well in a number of other drills, went from being graded as a preferred free agent before the season to now being an almost sure pick in the top three rounds, maybe even a first-rounder.

Of course, the ASU guy gets the love from Mr. C - but what about Jerome Simpson, the CCU player who has been getting a lot of love from NFL pundits over the course of the combine?

Jerome Simpson, an athletic 6-3 pass catcher from Coastal Carolina, was ninth in the 40-yard dash at 4.47 electronic. Those who have watched Simpson come down with acrobatic receptions for the Chanticleers were not surprised that he was tied for second in vertical leap at 37.5 inches.

Simpson ranked first in the broad jump at 11-feet, 4-inches, and has positioned himself in the fourth-to-fifth-round range.

Hmmm...Coulson finds time to mention DJ's accomplishments on the ASU track team, but doesn't even try to do any research and mention that Jerome Simpson was a very active member of CCU's track team (and, if I remember correctly, was at one point the Big South Conference Champion in the Long Jump). Also - wasn't Jerome Simpson's long jump at the combine a NEW COMBINE RECORD? xnonono2x xsmhx xmadx

Of course, I should have expected as much from this writer. xrolleyesx

SuperJon
February 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Jerome went to the NCAA's as well, and that was without practicing. He spent time at spring practice and just showed up for track pretty much.

blueballs
February 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
They must be mixing moonshine in the KoolAid up in Boone these days.

Footix
February 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

That is spelled Coul-Aid!

fcsfootball71
February 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Shocked that no GSU guys are talking about Foster getting snubbed for a combine invite. He would have broken every combine record! ;)

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think Dexter will be a good pickup for someone. You can't coach speed.

That being said, Coulson once again is shameless is his ASU bias. I been following the mock draftboards and have never seen Jackson mentioned as a first round pick. Conversely, right or wrong, I have seen Joe Flacco mentioned on at least twice as a project first rounder. So, his App. boy is a potential first rounder, but he has this to say about Flacco...

While scouts were somewhat concerned with Flacco's footwork and occasional lack of touch on passes, he erased many of their doubts about his athleticism ,and could go as high as the second round.

If Coulson defenders can't see the bias... xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

seantaylor
February 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Coulson should have his press pass pulled. No way that Jackson sees the first round. Simpson is a much better prospect.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Coulson should have his press pass pulled. No way that Jackson sees the first round. Simpson is a much better prospect.

Agreed.

The thing that that bugs me is that the most important quality for a good journalist is, at least, the appearance of objectivity. Everyone knows Coulson was a beat writer for ASU in the past, so if I was him, I would go out of my way to NOT sound biased toward my home school. He doesn't seem to care if he sounds objective or not. In that regard, he deserves all the criticism he receives.

JohnStOnge
February 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'd feel pretty safe in betting that Jackson will not be a first round pick. That doesn't mean he wont' turn out to be successful in the NFL. I'm just saying it's very unlikely that he's going to be a first round pick.

JohnStOnge
February 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
And...yes...if I had to bet...I'd bet the kid from Coastal Carolina is the first FCS receiver taken.

CharlestonAppFan
March 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
As soon as I saw the title, I thought I was on the smack board xnodx xeyebrowx . I submit the proposal to AGS that anything Coulson related has to be moved or started in the smack forum immediately xrotatehx. BTW, I definitely disagree with this article too.

Rob Iola
March 3rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I think Dexter will be a good pickup for someone. You can't coach speed.
Au Contraire - Patches O'Houlihan (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0007901/) was very effective coaching speed and agility in Dodgeball - simply have your players practice in traffic or with monkey wrenches fed thru a pitching machine aimed at them - they'll learn to move faster...

DinoDex200
March 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!! xlolx

Simpson seems to have the prototypical NFL size, speed, etc. I think it's great, either way, to have both of these guys taken in the 1st 3 rounds, wherever they go.

AshevilleApp
March 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM

It was typically Everclear when I was in school.......:D

CopperCat
March 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
If Coulson isn't going to make time to cover the rest of what is going on in FCS, then we should all do ourselves a favor and not waste our time reading his drivel. I haven't read the refuse now known as "Around the FCS with Dave Coulson" for a long time now, and I feel GREAT!

AshevilleApp2
March 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
First round? Nyet!

Rekdiver
March 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Agreed.

The thing that that bugs me is that the most important quality for a good journalist is, at least, the appearance of objectivity. Everyone knows Coulson was a beat writer for ASU in the past, so if I was him, I would go out of my way to NOT sound biased toward my home school. He doesn't seem to care if he sounds objective or not. In that regard, he deserves all the criticism he receives.

i don't know what rags you read but I've never met a journalist who was objective except for the guy who edits the obits..........

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Scouts are already starting to move him up the list. Early on, it was predicted he could be a second day pick. After his combine workout, he slid up boards to being a potential late first day pick.

There is even one Web site that thinks Jackson is a first round pick.

According the bleacherreport.com’s 2008 Mock Draft, he will be selected 29th overall by the San Francisco 49ers.http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/3350/39/

BlueHen86
March 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Au Contraire - Patches O'Houlihan (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0007901/) was very effective coaching speed and agility in Dodgeball - simply have your players practice in traffic or with monkey wrenches fed thru a pitching machine aimed at them - they'll learn to move faster...
Absolutely! The key is to master the five "D's";

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, Dodge.

mcveyrl
March 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/3350/39/

So a link to an article that links to a website??

There are mulitple mock drafts on bleacherreport.com and I can't find one that picks Jackson No. 29.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
So a link to an article that links to a website??
There are mulitple mock drafts on bleacherreport.com and I can't find one that picks Jackson No. 29.Write the author and ask (BTW, he is a member here).

mcveyrl
March 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Write the author and ask (BTW, he is a member here).

I'll also ask him what current NFL team Dexter Coakley plays for...xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'll also ask him what current NFL team Dexter Coakley plays for...Isn't Coakley the most decorated defensive player ever in FCS history?

mcveyrl
March 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Isn't Coakley the most decorated defensive player ever in FCS history?

Yea, but he's not in the NFL anymore. He retired in '06. The article lists him as a current ASU'er in the NFL.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
I can't remember the author's member name here but he posts frequently.

jonmac
March 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Well, the mention of Coakley in ER's article is erroneous but more to the question at hand, he does discredit the mock draft, whether real or not, by

jonmac
March 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well, the mention of Coakley in ER's article is erroneous but more to the question at hand, he does discredit somewhat the prediction of DJ being a 1st rounder. So cut the kid some slack.

SunCoastBlueHen
March 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
i don't know what rags you read but I've never met a journalist who was objective except for the guy who edits the obits..........

What a ridiculous comment. If a writer writes for the Philadelphia Inquire, sure he (or she) is likely to be pro Philly teams. However, if someone writes for SI (national), they better at least attempt to be unbiased in their reporting if they want to have an ounce of respectability. Your boy Coulson has moved from the local to the national and has been unable to drop the local bias. That makes for poor writing.

mcveyrl
March 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well, the mention of Coakley in ER's article is erroneous but more to the question at hand, he does discredit somewhat the prediction of DJ being a 1st rounder. So cut the kid some slack.

Actually, I found the article to be fairly objective. My issue was that SE posted it trying to show that somebody else had Jackson as a 1st rounder. But, bleacherreport.com is a "sign-up and write for us" type of site, so the content is amateur sportswriter generated. There were, by my count, about 10 mock drafts posted, none of which had Jackson at 29. I don't think that ER necessarily needed to point that out in his article, but a more direct link would've been helpful.

I stopped trying to find the mock draft he was referring to. I'm sure it's out there, but I couldn't find it.

I regret posting that about Coakley. In retrospect, it was kind of a cheap shot. I was using it to bash the credibility of the article, but the above paragraph was really the only point I was trying to get across.

proasu89
March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM

He ain't gettin it from here.

AppGrad06
March 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Actually, I found the article to be fairly objective. My issue was that SE posted it trying to show that somebody else had Jackson as a 1st rounder. But, bleacherreport.com is a "sign-up and write for us" type of site, so the content is amateur sportswriter generated. There were, by my count, about 10 mock drafts posted, none of which had Jackson at 29. I don't think that ER necessarily needed to point that out in his article, but a more direct link would've been helpful.

I stopped trying to find the mock draft he was referring to. I'm sure it's out there, but I couldn't find it.

I regret posting that about Coakley. In retrospect, it was kind of a cheap shot. I was using it to bash the credibility of the article, but the above paragraph was really the only point I was trying to get across.

The mock draft referred to definitely exists, I saw it a couple weeks ago. Probably been lost in the shuffle since then. The basic gist of what the guy who wrote it said was that the guy who will be making the 49ers selections is "crazy" and made some "crazy" early picks based on speed in the past, when he was with the Rams (I think). It also said that those picks subsequently got him fired. DJ being picked 29th by the 49ers was basically the equivalent of a #16 or 15 seed beating a #1 or 2 in march madness. Would it be totally sweet for Dex to go in the 1st round? Yes. Odds of it actually happening... about a snowballs chance in hell.

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Actually, I found the article to be fairly objective. My issue was that SE posted it trying to show that somebody else had Jackson as a 1st rounder...I wasn't trying to show it, I did show it. I knew I had read it somewhere and it was in the link I posted. I didn't go looking for what the writer referenced, he wouldn't have wrote it if it wasn't accurate I trust. Mock drafts are a dime a dozen and it's anyone's guess. Kiper is not much better than a writer for bleacherreport I would think. I'm sure someone here could do as well too. Silly to argue about it or put one mock over another IMO. xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
... Your boy Coulson has moved from the local to the national and has been unable to drop the local bias...You do know Coulson was writing FCS nationally before he was at TSN, right? Just saying and nothing else, he's not new to FCS national writing.