PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe Flacco really all everyone is saying he is?

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I saw Joe Flacco at the national championship, I was for Appalachian ofcourse but still can't deny the fact that i believe any NFL team in need of a quarterback would be stupid to pass up this guy after seeing him play in person at that game, also saw the SIU game but in person seeing him throw an accurate touch pass 50 yards across the field is amazing, just wanted to hear others opinions.

blukeys
February 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I first saw Joe in person at the 2006 Spring Scrimmage for Delaware at Cape Henlopen High School in Southern DE. My impressions were:

1. He will attempt to pass a ball into microscopic spots that no other UD QB (or any other college QB) would even try.
2. He could throw a frozen rope as no other UD QB since Scott Brunner.
3. If the UD receivers that day could have held on to his passes his completion rate would have been 80%.
4. He had the highest release point of his passes of any QB I have ever seen in person. This includes Randall Cunningham, Sonny Jurgensen, Norm Snead, Donovan McNabb, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Neil Lomax and a bunch of others I can't remember.
5. He has an arm second to none that I have seen in person. See above.
6. No one throws a better or quicker 10 yard out ball from the far side hash mark.

Since that day he got better.

AshevilleApp2
February 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I first saw Joe in person at the 2006 Spring Scrimmage for Delaware at Cape Henlopen High School in Southern DE. My impressions were:

1. He will attempt to pass a ball into microscopic spots that no other UD QB (or any other college QB) would even try.
3. If the UD receivers that day could have held on to his passes his completion rate would have been 80%.
4. He had the highest release point of his passes of any QB I have ever seen in person. This includes Randall Cunningham, Sonny Jurgensen, Norm Snead, Donovan McNabb, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Neil Lomax and a bunch of others I can't remember.
6. No one throws a better or quicker 10 yard out ball from the far side hash mark.

So you're saying he might be okay? :)

DetroitFlyer
February 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I hear that he could not make it at Pitt....

Peems
February 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM

What a low blow. I guy works his tail off has a shot at the the Pros and you say that. Why can't you respect the guy?

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
What a low blow. I guy works his tail off has a shot at the the Pros and you say that. Why can't you respect the guy?

I don't think it a respect issue, it just sounds like he is voicing an oppinion, or maybe he's getting tired of all the Flacco hype. Everyone complained about San Diego fans two years ago when there was a lot of hype surounding their team, and now these Flacco supporters are starting to be just as annoying.xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
February 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I don't know if you wanna compare anyone to Scott Brunner.. its kind of a crappy comparison.. that's speaking as a Giants fan not a Villanova fan..

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM

How is forcing the ball into tight coverage a postive attribute? That would be a red flag to me that this kid is going to turn the ball over consistantly.

Franks Tanks
February 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Its probably more atributed to the fact the Dave Wanstead is a moron. What is Tyler Palko doing now, playing AF2 ball?

SunCoastBlueHen
February 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
How is forcing the ball into tight coverage a postive attribute? That would be a red flag to me that this kid is going to turn the ball over consistantly.

The kid threw 5 interceptions all last year. xrolleyesx

mcveyrl
February 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't think it a respect issue, it just sounds like he is voicing an oppinion, or maybe he's getting tired of all the Flacco hype. Everyone complained about San Diego fans two years ago when there was a lot of hype surounding their team, and now these Flacco supporters are starting to be just as annoying.xnodx

Please do not confuse self-created, Harbaugh hype, to legitimate combine, draft prognosticator hype...

ChickenMan
February 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Apparently Flacco did nothing but 'improve' his standing at the recent NFL combine.. from SI.com's Don Banks

The just-completed NFL scouting combine is by no means the end all, be all in terms of the draft-evaluation process. But don't let anyone kid you, in a league where most scouts and personnel decision-makers instinctively look to defend and justify their draft grades (i.e., cover their butts), all the measurables gathered in Indianapolis help construct the framework of their arguments.

The hottest of those making their mock debuts include Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco, Purdue tight end Dustin Keller and Michigan State receiver Devin Thomas.

Banks now has Flacco projected as the #20.. overall pick by Tampa Bay.. seems a little high to me.. but who knows???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/02/28/mock.draft3.part1/index.html?bcnn=yes

Retro
February 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Its probably more atributed to the fact the Dave Wanstead is a moron. What is Tyler Palko doing now, playing AF2 ball?

Actually, Palko is 3rd string QB with the Saints.. Wannstadt is still a moron though..:p

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I think some of those things are a bit of a stretch to say. But from what i saw i would agree on your 1st and 3rd points. Also forgot his touch on the deep balls. In the championship game he threw the same pass twice in a row to the exact same spot, both times interference was called once on offense and the second time on the defense.

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
They were also around 50 yarders with him throwing it across the field and everything.

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
The kid threw 5 interceptions all last year. xrolleyesx

But corey lynch did break up 4 of his passes in the championship. @ were dropped interceptions. Then pierre banks was running with the ball in his hands once but dropped it. He's still a great players and he stays calm throughout the game. I saw that in the championship game also he just came out and did what he had to do, even though it took more then just him, seemed like he was the only Blue hen on the field doing his job.

GannonFan
February 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Only a USD fan could even try to make a comparison that weak and that unrelated. xnonox

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Only a USD fan could even try to make a comparison that weak and that unrelated. xnonox

There's nothing weak about it. This hype is getting a little rediculous. If Flacco was so great I ask again why did he have to transfer from Pitt. We all know Tyler palko was a mediocre QB, so why wasn't Flacco able to beat him out for the starting position? If Flacco is so great why didn't he dominate the FCS level. He didn't even make it as a finalist for the Walter Payton award, which had 7 QBs on the finalist list. I would think if he was so dominating and great he would at least be a finlist for the Payton award. His senior stats were inflated from the 4 extra games he played in the play-offs. He never carried/led the team, the Hens were actually led by Omar Cuff who was a Payton award finalist (I think the Payton award committee/voters realized this as well). The list of negatives can go on and on and on. Did I mention that he played in a shotgun style offense, which we all know makes it a lot easier for a QB to read the defense (it also perpetuated his poor footwork).

Now bring on the Homers.xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
February 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM

So says just one of many annoying Delaware fans. Yeah, I hear Flacco walks on water.... Give me a break.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
It seems the USD inferiority complex has been exasperated now that their "big time" QB has proven to be second string in the eyes of the NFL scouts.

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
It seems the USD inferiority complex has been exasperated now that their "big time" QB has proven to be second string in the eyes of the NFL scouts.

This is not a Josh Johnson vs Joe Flacco issuexnonox This is a thread about whether Flacco is as great as they are hyping him to be, and I say no. Sorry if my opinion makes you mad, but I did back up my opinion with very valid questions.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM
This is not a Josh Johnson vs Joe Flacco issuexnonox This is a thread about whether Flacco is at great as they are hyping him to be, and I say no. Sorry if my opinion makes you mad, but I did back up my opinion with very valid questions.

I just find it interesting that all of the negative comments have come from fans of the should be DIII, non scholly fans. The only logical reason for that, IMHO, is that there is some kind of jealous, inferiority thing going on with all of you.

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I just find it interesting that all of the negative comments have come from fans of the should be DIII, non scholly fans. The only logical reason for that, IMHO, is that there is some kind of jealous, inferiority thing going on with all of you.

Well now you're just speculating. I've supported my opinion with questions/facts regarding Flacco's ability. Nothing I have said is conjured up from some kind of deep hatred or jealousy of Flacco. When one resorts to name callingxmadx , I tend to think they've got nothing to come back with.

Jaxhen
February 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
So says just one of many annoying Delaware fans. Yeah, I hear Flacco walks on water.... Give me a break.

Are you serious? First of all, this thread was not even started by a Delaware fan. Much of the hype surrounding Flacco has come from team scouts and draft experts, and actually a lot of posters supporting other teams. Delaware fans are rightfully proud of Joe. He's a great player and more important a good person. I haven't heard one Delaware fan being obnoxious in their support for Joe. Truthfully, no one knows how Joe will ultimately do as a professional or how Josh Johnson will do, but he certainly has all the physical tools to be a very good NFL QB. I don't think it's the Delaware fans being annoying here.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well now you're just speculating. I've supported my opinion with questions/facts regarding Flacco's ability. Nothing I have said is conjured up from some kind of deep hatred or jealousy of Flacco. When one resorts to name callingxmadx , I tend to think they've got nothing to come back with.

What name calling? I would think an FCS fan should be excited that a QB from our level has an outside chance of being a first round draft pick. Why are you not? Also, do you somehow feel your ability to determine a QB's NFL potential to be better than scouts that do that for a living? What is your deal if it is not motivated by something less than objective?

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What name calling? I would think an FCS fan should be excited that a QB from our level has an outside chance of being a first round draft pick. Why are you not? Also, do you somehow feel your ability to determine a QB's NFL potential to be better than scouts that do that for a living? What is your deal if it is not motivated by something less than objective?

I am happy for Flacco. It's always good to see an FCS prospect go to the NFL. I am just saying to me there are enough questions to believe he is not as good as he is hyped to be. I have a problem with "one hit wonders" that get hyped up so much. I am not the one that is blinded by all the edia hype, which is what it is. The majority of everything you read is from a reporters perspective, not an NFL scout. And do you honestly think an NFL scout is going to give his true evaluation of a player to a reporter before the draft? That is for him and his team to know, and no one else until draft day.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I am happy for Flacco. It's always good to see an FCS prospect go to the NFL. I am just saying to me there are enough questions to believe he is not as good as he is hyped to be. I have a problem with "one hit wonders" that get hyped up so much. I am not the one that is blinded by all the edia hype, which is what it is. The majority of everything you read is from a reporters perspective, not an NFL scout. And do you honestly think an NFL scout is going to give his true evaluation of a player to a reporter before the draft? That is for him and his team to know, and no one else until draft day.

So, are you going on the record as saying that Joe is all media hype and that he WILL NOT be drafted in the first two rounds? That's what it sounds like you are saying to me.

We'll see in April how insightful you really are. xwhistlex

DetroitFlyer
February 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I hope that both Joe Flacco and Josh Johnson are drafted and sign huge NFL contracts. ( Josh really needs the coin to pay off those expensive USD tuition bills ). After that I hope that both throw key interceptions to Kevin Hoyng in the playoffs, and Kevin returns both interceptions for the game winning touchdowns in both games on his way to leading his team to a Superbowl victory!xnodx

Retro
February 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM

I think this thread is really about a few USD fans jealousy of the fact the Flacco is getting more attention than Johnson at this point.. First, I think that everyone should be glad there are any FCS QB's considered the top 3 pro prospects at a position.. 2nd, Flacco is receiving more hype than johnson for obvious reasons: Size, Senior bowl performance and overall performance againest much better competition at the college level.

I hope that johnson get's a shot, but let's face it.. He's raw and unproven againest some top notch competition, somewhat like Bruce Eugene was. I'm sure we'll here more about both as pro days wrap up and the draft get's closer.

Ud1Hens
February 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Let me just get back to the main point.

Flacco has a tremendous upside to say the least. You can't teach his physical attributes and he has the mental makeup of an NFL QB. We called him "Joe Cool" around campus because he never let things get to him, no matter what the pressure was. Whether it was having 3 defenders hanging on his legs or being down by 10 points against the #1 team in the nation with probably the best home field advantage in the FCS. He just stood tall, manned up, and got the job done. He can make and will make all of the passes in the playbook. Obviously I am a Delaware fan but I truely believe Flacco will be a great pick by any NFL team in need of a QB who is willing to put the time and effort to become a starter.

I was fortunate enough to be friends with Flacco. We lived in the same apartment, had a class together this pass year, and together just enjoyed the run that UD had this past year. The man is extremely humble and will represent the University of Delaware with the utmost class and dignity.

That is why Joe Flacco is really all everyone says he is.

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Well, you heard about Josh Johnsons performance at the combine i imagine. I also heard flacco may have moved up to a 1st round pick because of his. Josh Johnsons throws were eradic and often spiraling wrong. Just a few things i read. Flacco was never given the Chance at Pitt. Not that he couldn't have done it given the chance. But why would you go to Pitt and play for a losing team, when you could go to UD and go to a National Championship?

GannonFan
February 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
There's nothing weak about it. This hype is getting a little rediculous. If Flacco was so great I ask again why did he have to transfer from Pitt. We all know Tyler palko was a mediocre QB, so why wasn't Flacco able to beat him out for the starting position? If Flacco is so great why didn't he dominate the FCS level. He didn't even make it as a finalist for the Walter Payton award, which had 7 QBs on the finalist list. I would think if he was so dominating and great he would at least be a finlist for the Payton award. His senior stats were inflated from the 4 extra games he played in the play-offs. He never carried/led the team, the Hens were actually led by Omar Cuff who was a Payton award finalist (I think the Payton award committee/voters realized this as well). The list of negatives can go on and on and on. Did I mention that he played in a shotgun style offense, which we all know makes it a lot easier for a QB to read the defense (it also perpetuated his poor footwork).

Now bring on the Homers.xpeacex

First of all, forget the Payton Award - that's a political award. If you want to know why Flacco wasn't on the finalist list, ask Coulson yourself. The reason he'll give you has nothing to do with Flacco not deserving to be on the list.

Second, if you honestly think Flacco wasn't as good as many of those QB's on the list, then I have to question your judgement. Or, I have to question if you've actually seen any of those QB's actually play.

Third, forget the issue of why Flacco didn't win the starting spot from Palko. The person making that decision was Dave Wannestadt. Tell me, where, anywhere, in Wannestadt's history as a head coach has he ever shown that his judgement is worth taking at face value. He's been a failure at every single stop and he's still a failure at Pitt today. So again, why should his judgement, the judgement of a 3-time failure in all his stops, be so important?

As for who led the Blue Hens this year, again, I have to question if you really saw many games the Blue Hens played. Omar Cuff was certainly an outstanding player, but the Hens don't make the playoffs this year without Flacco. And once in the playoffs, Flacco played great in 3 playoff games to get to the title game, and he played fairly well considering the circumstances in that game.

And finally, he's not a one year wonder. For a team that went through tons of injuries in '06 (including Cuff) and for a team that had virtually no defense to help, Flacco still had very good numbers in his junior year (he did have 2700 yards, 18 TD's, a 63% completion rate, and 250 some yards per game - not really shabby numbers). And this year he had great numbers even before the playoffs started. And the attention from the NFL didn't start halfway through this year or in the playoffs - he was being looked at extensively last year. To many, unlike you, he's not a one year wonder.

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Apparently it worked out for him.

ericsaid
February 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Well someone who played great in the Playoffs was armanti edwards. If there was a playoff MVP it would be AE, with the runner up being Joe of course. MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.

Peems
February 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Well someone who played great in the Playoffs was armanti edwards. If there was a playoff MVP it would be AE, with the runner up being Joe of course. MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.

Do you ever NOT talk about APP?xrolleyesx

McNeese75
February 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Do you ever NOT talk about APP?xrolleyesx

xlolx glad you noticed, I thought it was just me :D

Rob Iola
February 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Been watching Henz football since the 70's - Flacco's by far the best QB UD's ever had. Saw Gannon v. Navy (twice), saw Flacco v. Navy this year - no comparison. Flacco's game in Annapolis this past fall was as good a game as you'll ever see a QB play. Will he be a star in the NFL? Who knows, he needs to take it to the next level. Many wash out, and even Gannon took about 10 years to pan out. But Flacco's got all the tools, arguably the best in this year's class...

bluehenbillk
February 29th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hard to compare Flacco & Gannon. Flacco unquestionably has the better arm & can make passes Rich never could. When Gannon was at UD he did a lot of scrambling & running. Flacco had a lot more of a supporting cast than Gannon ever did, I still remember the Arkansas St blowout as pretty much 11 vs 1, and the 1 kept it even for a quarter.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hard to compare Flacco & Gannon. Flacco unquestionably has the better arm & can make passes Rich never could. When Gannon was at UD he did a lot of scrambling & running. Flacco had a lot more of a supporting cast than Gannon ever did, I still remember the Arkansas St blowout as pretty much 11 vs 1, and the 1 kept it even for a quarter.

Agreed. I think Gannon was an overall more effective college QB because of his mobility. He made many an amazing play with his ability to run an scramble. As far as NFL potential goes, however, Flacco certainly has more upside at this stage than Gannon did entering the league.

DetroitFlyer
February 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I seem to recall that some kid named Josh Johnson was the MVP of the all star game he played in, something called the East/West Shrine game.... Now, I'm trying to remember how that Flacco kid in his all star game.... MVP? Nope, I just do not seem to recall that....

The only reason anyone cares at all about Flacco is his size. Big Ben in Pittsburgh, ( the city Flacco could not make it in by the way ), has everybody hopeful that Flacco will be as successful.... Frankly, as a life long Steelers fan, I'm still not certain that Big Ben is the long term answer at QB for the Steelers. Maybe size is important, but I also think overall athletic ability is important. Big Ben looks goofy when trying to make athletic plays.... So far, he has been relatively successful, but last year the Steelers struggled a bit. Time will tell....

Both Flacco and Johnson have the ability to do well in the NFL with the right teams and right opportunities. It will be interesting to revisit this topic in 10 years....

Flacco washed out at Pitt and transferred to a lower level program for playing time. Johnson was 100% home grown at USD, in a low profile, ( at least before Jim Harbaugh ), program. Frankly, Flacco's story is unremarkable, Johnson's story is the kind of thing movies are made about!

Johnson will be the first player ever drafted out of the PFL, the CAA has had many. Virtually everything about Josh's story is special, and it is no small wonder that USD fans, and others, are hoping he meets and exceeds all expectations. Flacco generates interest on pretty much size alone, JJ generates interest on his amazing, overall, athletic ability, and a "story" that is second to none!

mcveyrl
February 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
The only reason anyone cares at all about Flacco is his size. Big Ben in Pittsburgh, ( the city Flacco could not make it in by the way ), has everybody hopeful that Flacco will be as successful.... Frankly, as a life long Steelers fan, I'm still not certain that Big Ben is the long term answer at QB for the Steelers. Maybe size is important, but I also think overall athletic ability is important. Big Ben looks goofy when trying to make athletic plays.... So far, he has been relatively successful, but last year the Steelers struggled a bit. Time will tell....

Flacco washed out at Pitt and transferred to a lower level program for playing time. Johnson was 100% home grown at USD, in a low profile, ( at least before Jim Harbaugh ), program. Frankly, Flacco's story is unremarkable, Johnson's story is the kind of thing movies are made about!

First, reading comprehension is FUNdamental. Pretty much every scout, draft guru, and player agrees that Flacco's got the strongest arm of this year's QB crop.

Second, explain how Flacco "washed out" at Pitt?? I'll agree he transferred to UD for playing time, but how is that "washing out"? Plus, it's not like it hurt his pro chances...

GannonFan
February 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I seem to recall that some kid named Josh Johnson was the MVP of the all star game he played in, something called the East/West Shrine game.... Now, I'm trying to remember how that Flacco kid in his all star game.... MVP? Nope, I just do not seem to recall that....

Both Flacco and Johnson have the ability to do well in the NFL with the right teams and right opportunities. It will be interesting to revisit this topic in 10 years....

Johnson will be the first player ever drafted out of the PFL, the CAA has had many. Virtually everything about Josh's story is special, and it is no small wonder that USD fans, and others, are hoping he meets and exceeds all expectations. Flacco generates interest on pretty much size alone, JJ generates interest on his amazing, overall, athletic ability, and a "story" that is second to none!

Seems to me Flacco was the fastest QB of all the QB's at the combine in the 3 cone drill - not mention that he did pretty well in every other drill save the 40 yard dash, which he still beat the QB's who could be drafted ahead of him (again showing how little of of importance the 40 is for QB's).

As for the uniqueness, I don't recall the CAA having a QB drafted as high as Flacco will be drafted, and one expert has Flacco going in the first round at pick #20 (to Tampa). Heck, I'm not sure the CAA's ever had anyone drafted that high (Westbrook went in the 3rd round). We'll have to wait to see how his career turns out to see if it's movie worthy, of course. xlolx

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Seems to me Flacco was the fastest QB of all the QB's at the combine in the 3 cone drill - not mention that he did pretty well in every other drill save the 40 yard dash, which he still beat the QB's who could be drafted ahead of him (again showing how little of of importance the 40 is for QB's).

As for the uniqueness, I don't recall the CAA having a QB drafted as high as Flacco will be drafted, and one expert has Flacco going in the first round at pick #20 (to Tampa). Heck, I'm not sure the CAA's ever had anyone drafted that high (Westbrook went in the 3rd round). We'll have to wait to see how his career turns out to see if it's movie worthy, of course. xlolx

All those combine drills mean very little. Your NFL draft status is not going to be determined by one day of working out in a non-game situation. Coaches already know what kind of players they are before the combine. The most important part of the combine is the interviews, the wonderlic test, and the health examination. I really think the combine is more of a formality now.

Flacco at #20 is a joke. There is no way Flacco even fits into the Gruden style offense. Just goes to show you how much these guys know. TB already has a QB that they can use for the next 2-3 years. There is no way TB would take any QB in the first. They can addrss other needs, and still get a good QB later in the draft; afterall, they'll have time to develop him.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think this thread is really about a few USD fans jealousy of the fact the Flacco is getting more attention than Johnson at this point.. First, I think that everyone should be glad there are any FCS QB's considered the top 3 pro prospects at a position.. 2nd, Flacco is receiving more hype than johnson for obvious reasons: Size, Senior bowl performance and overall performance againest much better competition at the college level.

I hope that johnson get's a shot, but let's face it.. He's raw and unproven againest some top notch competition, somewhat like Bruce Eugene was. I'm sure we'll here more about both as pro days wrap up and the draft get's closer.

Once again, you are making assumptions. It's not unfathomable for someone to think Flacco is not as great as these "experts" say he is.
And did you just mention his Senior Bowl Performance? Wasn't he 2-7 for like 20 yards? Hardly a game to talk about.
His overall performance in college looked good, but not great. I still feel that the games I watched, Omar Cuff was the team leader (especially against DSU). Without Cuff, Deleware would have been average. xnodx

ChickenMan
February 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Flacco at #20 is a joke.

No.. what is a 'joke'.. is the petty 'jealousy' that you consistently display when it comes to evaluating the NFL potential of the 'top' FCS QB prospect in the nation... xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
First of all, forget the Payton Award - that's a political award. If you want to know why Flacco wasn't on the finalist list, ask Coulson yourself. The reason he'll give you has nothing to do with Flacco not deserving to be on the list.

Second, if you honestly think Flacco wasn't as good as many of those QB's on the list, then I have to question your judgement. Or, I have to question if you've actually seen any of those QB's actually play.

Third, forget the issue of why Flacco didn't win the starting spot from Palko. The person making that decision was Dave Wannestadt. Tell me, where, anywhere, in Wannestadt's history as a head coach has he ever shown that his judgement is worth taking at face value. He's been a failure at every single stop and he's still a failure at Pitt today. So again, why should his judgement, the judgement of a 3-time failure in all his stops, be so important?

As for who led the Blue Hens this year, again, I have to question if you really saw many games the Blue Hens played. Omar Cuff was certainly an outstanding player, but the Hens don't make the playoffs this year without Flacco. And once in the playoffs, Flacco played great in 3 playoff games to get to the title game, and he played fairly well considering the circumstances in that game.

And finally, he's not a one year wonder. For a team that went through tons of injuries in '06 (including Cuff) and for a team that had virtually no defense to help, Flacco still had very good numbers in his junior year (he did have 2700 yards, 18 TD's, a 63% completion rate, and 250 some yards per game - not really shabby numbers). And this year he had great numbers even before the playoffs started. And the attention from the NFL didn't start halfway through this year or in the playoffs - he was being looked at extensively last year. To many, unlike you, he's not a one year wonder.

Of course you say it's a pollitical award, your boy didn't win it. Had he won it you would be using the award as another basis of why Flacco is so great. The fact is the voters saw that the most valuable player for Deleware was not Flacco, but Omar Cuff.

How am I just supposed to forget that Flacco couldn't beat out Palko at Pitt. If Flacco was leaps and bounds better than Palko, then he would have started. My guess is the QBs were probably about equal, and the coach had to make his decision. Equal with Palko, now that is not something to hang your hat on.

Yes, his numbers as a junior aren't bad, but they aren't great either. Being in the FCS you need to really shine. You need to show the NFL scouts that you are leaps and bounds better than your competition, and Flacco didn't do that.

Go back before last season started and see who these "experts" you say are so wise had as top prospects in the FCS. Santos and Johnson were mentioned often, but not Flacco. Why is this you ask? Maybe because those guys were dominating their competition for 2-3 years before their senior year.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
No.. what is a 'joke'.. is the petty 'jealousy' that you consistently display when it comes to evaluating the NFL potential of the 'top' FCS QB prospect in the nation... xrolleyesx

I have no clue where you see jelousy. I am not saying that Johnson should be ranked higher than Flacco am I? I'm saying Flacco isn't as good as they are hyping him to be. Sorry to burst your bubble. With everyone getting so defensive, I think I may be hitting on something you guys may think is true, but you just want to overlook it.

MR. CHICKEN
February 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Once again, you are making assumptions. It's not unfathomable for someone to think Flacco is not as great as these "experts" say he is.
And did you just mention his Senior Bowl Performance? Wasn't he 2-7 for like 20 yards? Hardly a game to talk about.
His overall performance in college looked good, but not great. I still feel that the games I watched, Omar Cuff was the team leader (especially against DSU). Without Cuff, Deleware would have been average. xnodx

FLACCO HAD UH TOUCHDOWN PASS......CALLED BACK ON UH PENALTY....xnodx....BRAWK!

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
FLACCO HAD UH TOUCHDOWN PASS......CALLED BACK ON UH PENALTY....xnodx....BRAWK!

Oh, I'm sorry.... I thought those didn't count. I guess the rules have changed a bit since I played.

ChickenMan
February 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have no clue where you see jelousy. I am not saying that Johnson should be ranked higher than Flacco am I? I'm saying Flacco isn't as good as they are hyping him to be. Sorry to burst your bubble. With everyone getting so defensive, I think I may be hitting on something you guys may think is true, but you just want to overlook it.

Did you ever hear of the term... "thou does protest too much" ???

Joe Flacco to a USD fan.. should be a 'non-issue'.. just as Josh Johnson is to this UD fan... ;)

LacesOut
February 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
A very good college QB, Flacco was. But that does not mean ***** when it comes to Pro Ball. Pro ball is Pro ball. A game played by very fast men at an incredibly fast pace.

We'll just have to wait and see on how good Flacco will be at the next level. Just like we do with all NFL draftees.

Look at all the very very good college QB's and position players who did not make it at the next level. There's just too many factors that go into a player parlaying his college success and skills into the NFL game.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
A very good college QB, Flacco was. But that does not mean ***** when it comes to Pro Ball. Pro ball is Pro ball. A game played by very fast men at an incredibly fast pace.

We'll just have to wait and see on how good Flacco will be at the next level. Just like we do with all NFL draftees.

Look at all the very very good college QB's and position players who did not make it at the next level. There's just too many factors that go into a player parlaying his college success and skills into the NFL game.

Agreed, and the odds are really stacked against him coming from the FCS. He may have the size, but I think he is really going to struggle big time with being under center the majority of the time. We'll see how it all plays out.

MR. CHICKEN
February 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Oh, I'm sorry.... I thought those didn't count. I guess the rules have changed a bit since I played.

WHETHER IT COUNTED....OR NOT........HE STILL DID IT......;)...&.....IT HIGHLIGHTED HIS SKILLS.......DRIVIN' UH TEAM DOWNFIELD...FO'...UH TOUCH....xnodx....BRAWK!

GannonFan
February 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Of course you say it's a pollitical award, your boy didn't win it. Had he won it you would be using the award as another basis of why Flacco is so great. The fact is the voters saw that the most valuable player for Deleware was not Flacco, but Omar Cuff.

How am I just supposed to forget that Flacco couldn't beat out Palko at Pitt. If Flacco was leaps and bounds better than Palko, then he would have started. My guess is the QBs were probably about equal, and the coach had to make his decision. Equal with Palko, now that is not something to hang your hat on.

Yes, his numbers as a junior aren't bad, but they aren't great either. Being in the FCS you need to really shine. You need to show the NFL scouts that you are leaps and bounds better than your competition, and Flacco didn't do that.

Go back before last season started and see who these "experts" you say are so wise had as top prospects in the FCS. Santos and Johnson were mentioned often, but not Flacco. Why is this you ask? Maybe because those guys were dominating their competition for 2-3 years before their senior year.

So you're saying you didn't talk to Coulson yet. Get back to me when you do with the reason for Flacco's exclusion from that list. I know the reason, do you?

And again, rely on Wannestadt's opinion all you want, but why should anyone here give any credit to his decisions? Where has Wannesdadt ever proven to be a quality head coach worth that respect?

Flacco had two years in FCS - his junior year was good, his senior year was great. Actual NFL people knew of him and were watching him well before his senior year. Just because you didn't know about him doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. He's not just being looked at beacause he's tall. He's got a big arm, he's accurate, he moves well in the pocket, and he's run a pretty sophisticated offense. Plus he's a pretty decent guy.

I understand your ranting - you're a USD guy who can't believe that someone will be taken before Johnson, who is actually a pretty good player in his own right. There's really no limit to some inferiority complexes, and your's has been on full display throughout this thread. Let it go, no one's dissing Johnson here, we all think he's a great player, but it doesn't diminish him to acknowledge that someone else is too. xthumbsupx

ericsaid
February 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I already talked about Flacco enough and gave him my praise. Cool to see him beating out the FBS quarterbacks. In my opinion from what i saw of him is the best quarterback in the Draft. If i were a team like the Falcons that would be my round two pick, if he's around.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
WHETHER IT COUNTED....OR NOT........HE STILL DID IT......;)...&.....IT HIGHLIGHTED HIS SKILLS.......DRIVIN' UH TEAM DOWNFIELD...FO'...UH TOUCH....xnodx....BRAWK!

A 50 yard bomb is hardly driving the ball.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
So you're saying you didn't talk to Coulson yet. Get back to me when you do with the reason for Flacco's exclusion from that list. I know the reason, do you?

And again, rely on Wannestadt's opinion all you want, but why should anyone here give any credit to his decisions? Where has Wannesdadt ever proven to be a quality head coach worth that respect?

Flacco had two years in FCS - his junior year was good, his senior year was great. Actual NFL people knew of him and were watching him well before his senior year. Just because you didn't know about him doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. He's not just being looked at beacause he's tall. He's got a big arm, he's accurate, he moves well in the pocket, and he's run a pretty sophisticated offense. Plus he's a pretty decent guy.

I understand your ranting - you're a USD guy who can't believe that someone will be taken before Johnson, who is actually a pretty good player in his own right. There's really no limit to some inferiority complexes, and your's has been on full display throughout this thread. Let it go, no one's dissing Johnson here, we all think he's a great player, but it doesn't diminish him to acknowledge that someone else is too. xthumbsupx

Sorry I'm not a close friend of Coulson. Maybe you can enlighten us as to why Flacco was not on the Payton list.

I guess Dave Weinstadt just made it as an NFL head coach because he was owed a favor? He must know something about football to make it as a head coach in the NFL.

Again, this has nothing to do with Johnson. So because I'm a USD fan, I can't voice my opinion on this topic? I've done nothing but address the topic of this thread with very valid concerns regarding Flacco's talent.

ChickenMan
February 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry I'm not a close friend of Coulson. Maybe you can enlighten us as to why Flacco was not on the Payton list.

I guess Dave Weinstadt just made it as an NFL head coach because he was owed a favor? He must know something about football to make it as a head coach in the NFL.

Again, this has nothing to do with Johnson. So because I'm a USD fan, I can't voice my opinion on this topic? I've done nothing but address the topic of this thread with very valid concerns regarding Flacco's talent.

translation...

"why is everybody talking about Joe Flacco instead of Josh Johnson???".. :D

MR. CHICKEN
February 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
A 50 yard bomb is hardly driving the ball.

xnonox WASN'T UH 50 YARDER......MO' LIKE 8-10...AN' YES HE DROVE 'EM DOWN..xnodx..AWK!

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM
translation...

"why is everybody talking about Joe Flacco instead of Josh Johnson???".. :D

Am I that transparent?xsmiley_wix
The only response I get back is that I am some how jelous of Flacco's hype. The question of the thread is "Is Joe Flacco really all everyone is saying he is?" I say no, with valid reasoning. You avoid the obvious concerns I am bringing up, by changing the subject into some kind of jelousy issue.xnonox

Ud1Hens
February 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Detriot Flyer...you obviously aren't going to be open minded when we talk about Flacco. Stick on the "he couldn't cut it at Pitt, Palco was better" and get back to me in 3 years...that's if you can find Palco's name without going into the archives of Pitt's roster.

Flacco is more than just a great football player. He is a great person and friend...some just want to hold onto things that no longer matter (see: transferring from Pitt).

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Detriot Flyer...you obviously aren't going to be open minded when we talk about Flacco. Stick on the "he couldn't cut it at Pitt, Palco was better" and get back to me in 3 years...that's if you can find Palco's name without going into the archives of Pitt's roster.

Flacco is more than just a great football player. He is a great person and friend...some just want to hold onto things that no longer matter (see: transferring from Pitt).

If great people translated into great football players, there wouldn't be so many news stories about NFL players in trouble with the law.xnodx

Ud1Hens
February 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
If great people translated into great football players, there wouldn't be so many news stories about NFL players in trouble with the law.xnodx

Agreed. I'm sure Flacco will make us UD and FCS fans proud by the way he conducts himself on and off the field.

Retro
February 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM

This may seem odd for the uneducated, but the most important part of senior bowl week in Mobile is the practice performances. That's where they catch the eye of true scouts.. It's only 1 game and playing time is dividing among 3 qb's for each team, so it's likely only 1 qb will get ample time to standout. If you've ever spent anytime around the senior bowl, which i have for 20+ years, you will know that players earn their due during the week leading up to the game..

ericsaid
February 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I've learned that when your outnumbered on these boards, all you end up doing is contradicting yourself. There's not point in fighting blue hen fans.

At the championship game there were all yelling and what not at myslef and other App people, all you have to say is, "watch this". They did and quit yelling, so Josh Johnson may be better then Joe Flacco who knows, they didn't play the same opponents to make a comparison. Just wait it out.

Based on what i've read from the combine i'd have to go with Joe Flacco though.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've learned that when your outnumbered on these boards, all you end up doing is contradicting yourself. There's not point in fighting blue hen fans.

At the championship game there were all yelling and what not at myslef and other App people, all you have to say is, "watch this". They did and quit yelling, so Josh Johnson may be better then Joe Flacco who knows, they didn't play the same opponents to make a comparison. Just wait it out.

Based on what i've read from the combine i'd have to go with Joe Flacco though.

But once again, this is not a Joe Flacco vs. Josh Johnson debate (though many in here may assume that just because I am a USD fan). This is a debate of whether Flacco is as good as the hype, and I say no. I have not been saying Josh is better, I've been saying Flacco isn't as good as they say. Please read my posts and you will see my arguments.xrulesx

WildcatFan
February 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Pardon the interruption but shouldn't we all be routing for the FCS players that get a shot at the pros? Nobody knows how good or bad anyone will be until they actually get there and can prove themselves. Now you can continue.........

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Pardon the interruption but shouldn't we all be routing for the FCS players that get a shot at the pros? Nobody knows how good or bad anyone will be until they actually get there and can prove themselves. Now you can continue.........

I want Josh Johnson to get drafted and do well...

But some of these USD fans make that a challenge. :)

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I want Josh Johnson to get drafted and do well...

But some of these USD fans make that a challenge. :)

Where have I said that Flacco shouldn't be drafted. The question of this thread is very simplexrulesx Is Flacco as good as they say he is on all the websites everyone reads? My answer was no, and now there are people misconstruing what I said. Please point it out where I said Flacco shouldn't be drafted. I did say he shouldn't get drafted in the 1st round. He's even a stretch for the 2nd round in my opinion, but if he goes to the right team he can succeed. By the way, if he does end up going to Chicago I feel very sorry for him. That place is like a Qb grave yard. He needs to go to a place that has talent around him on offense, and the right coaches; which Chicago has neither. Two teams that I see as good teams to get drafted by is Seattle and Tampa Bay (Seattle would be the better fit for Flacco because Grudens offense tends to like a little more mobility in its Qb). Either team has time to develop a Qb, and has the talent to help him succeed.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Where have I said that Flacco shouldn't be drafted. The question of this thread is very simplexrulesx Is Flacco as good as they say he is on all the websites everyone reads? My answer was no, and now there are people misconstruing what I said. Please point it out where I said Flacco shouldn't be drafted. I did say he shouldn't get drafted in the 1st round. He's even a stretch for the 2nd round in my opinion, but if he goes to the right team he can succeed. By the way, if he does end up going to Chicago I feel very sorry for him. That place is like a Qb grave yard. He needs to go to a place that has talent around him on offense, and the right coaches; which Chicago has neither. Two teams that I see as good teams to get drafted by is Seattle and Tampa Bay (Seattle would be the better fit for Flacco because Grudens offense tends to like a little more mobility in its Qb). Either team has time to develop a Qb, and has the talent to help him succeed.

Well, I think Josh Johnson may not be as good as you San Diego Fans say he is...

I just didn't care enough to post dozens of times in a thread about it.

See the difference there?

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well, I think Josh Johnson may not be as good as you San Diego Fans say he is...

I just didn't care enough to post dozens of times in a thread about it.

See the difference there?

I do see the difference.... there isn't a thread asking whether or not you think Josh is a good as they say he is, is there? Don't get upset with me if I answer the question of the thread. I am not out of line here by stating my views. I am not hi-jacking a thread by speaking off topic. I have consistantly stayed on topic while many wanted to resort to false accusations and name calling.xnonono2x

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I do see the difference.... there isn't a thread asking whether or not you think Josh is a good as they say he is, is there? Don't get upset with me if I answer the question of the thread. I am not out of line here by stating my views. I am not hi-jacking a thread by speaking off topic. I have consistantly stayed on topic while many wanted to resort to false accusations and name calling.xnonono2x

Ahh, yes. To very questionable excess, however. xpeacex

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ahh, yes. To very questionable excess, however. xpeacex

Just responding back to posters questioning my view or ones that make false accusations.xthumbsupx

Jaxhen
February 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Agreed. I am rooting for Josh Johnson to succeed also just like I am for all FCS players. I don't understand USD or Detroit Flyer at all on this and why they are so passionate in trying to discredit Flacco.

Jaxhen
February 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM

This comment is utterly ridiculous. I don't even know why I'm even wasting my time responding to this, but here goes. To say Flacco washed out at Pittsburgh or to even imply that he wasn't as good as Palko is absurd. First of all, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, Flacco and Palko did not come into the program at the same time. Flacco was a year behind Palko, who was one of the highest rated QBs in the country out of western PA. The NFL has had hundreds, perhaps even thousands of players, who did not start their freshman year in college. It is always difficult to unseat a good player who has seniority. How many times have we seen a backup come in for the starter and go on to become a much better player (heck, Santos was the 4th string QB at UNH, does that mean the other three UNH QBs were better than Santos)? Even if Palko did have the edge on Flacco when Flacco was a Fr. or So., it was probably due to having one more year of experience in the system. In any event, that has no bearing on who is the better QB by the time both were seniors. I would also point out that Wanstadt is from western PA as well and may have been somewhat partial to Palko. The fact that Wanstadt would not release Joe from his scholarship was in part due to the fact that he was very high on Joe and was upset about him transferring. There have been numerous posts on Pitt's forum suggesting that Pitt would have been better off if Flacco had been their QB instead of Palko. USD and DF, you guys are way off base here and show that you know very little about Flacco. I hope he proves you wrong. He's a good guy and I think will do well in the NFL. By the way, there is no comparison between Ryan Leaf and Joe Flacco. Leaf had a lousy attitude and was a prima donna. Flacco has a good attitude. He is quietly confident, but humble at the same time.

USDFAN_55
February 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Agreed. I am rooting for Josh Johnson to succeed also just like I am for all FCS players. I don't understand USD or Detroit Flyer at all on this and why they are so passionate in trying to discredit Flacco.

What should we do, lie? We are answering the question, and now everyone is taking offense to the answer. Give me a break. If you didn't want to know, then why ask? It's just my opinion from what I've observed. I'm starting to think I'm hitting a nerve here. Maybe I'm speaking some truth that many are too afraid to bring up.

JohnStOnge
February 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The only criticism I have a Flacco based on the three playoff games I saw him play on TV this year is that he tended to throw the ball harder than was necessary. Some of the drops might not have been drops if he'd taken something off the ball. Frankly, the one time I saw Josh Johnson (an all star game) suggested to me that Johnson has a better sense of touch.

Jaxhen
February 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
What should we do, lie? We are answering the question, and now everyone is taking offense to the answer. Give me a break. If you didn't want to know, then why ask? It's just my opinion from what I've observed. I'm starting to think I'm hitting a nerve here. Maybe I'm speaking some truth that many are too afraid to bring up.

Not expecting you to lie, but I do expect you to at least educate yourself on the topic. Despite your claims of posting valid reasons, I haven't heard you make one legitimate point regarding Flacco. By the way, disagreeing with someone's biased and distorted view does not mean that the person is speaking some truth. Seems like pretty flawed logic to me.

Jaxhen
February 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The only criticism I have a Flacco based on the three playoff games I saw him play on TV this year is that he tended to throw the ball harder than was necessary. Some of the drops might not have been drops if he'd taken something off the ball. Frankly, the one time I saw Josh Johnson (an all star game) suggested to me that Johnson has a better sense of touch.

I agree with you on throwing the ball too hard sometimes. He does need to learn when to take a little off his throw, but I think that this can be corrected. Actually, in the Navy game, he threw the ball with more touch. He threw a nice touch pass in the Senior Bowl for the TD, which was mistakenly called incomplete. It was clearly a TD based on the replay.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I agree with you on throwing the ball too hard sometimes. He does need to learn when to take a little off his throw, but I think that this can be corrected. Actually, in the Navy game, he threw the ball with more touch. He threw a nice touch pass in the Senior Bowl for the TD, which was mistakenly called incomplete. It was clearly a TD based on the replay.

On the other hand, I think NFL receivers are expected to catch whatever hits their hands...

Flacco did have a lot of dropped passes because he threw the ball too hard for his receivers to handle (if they were caught, his stats would have been that much better). I think hard throwers like Elway and Favre had similar issues in college. Pros, however, are expeted to CATCH the ball. That is why they are pros. xcoolx

ericsaid
February 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Joe Flacco and Josh Johnson wear Armanti Edward pajamas.xwhistlex

USDFAN_55
March 1st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Not expecting you to lie, but I do expect you to at least educate yourself on the topic. Despite your claims of posting valid reasons, I haven't heard you make one legitimate point regarding Flacco. By the way, disagreeing with someone's biased and distorted view does not mean that the person is speaking some truth. Seems like pretty flawed logic to me.

And this is what you guys just can't see. To me they are legitimate reasons to question a guys ability. You keep seeing them as personal attacks. I won't even get into flawed logic.

RadMann
March 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
No one is taking anything as personal attacks. Flacco is simply one of the top QBs to come out of FCS in years. Let's all just sit back and enjoy it.

JohnStOnge
March 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM

Armanti Edwards is a great quarterback for the system App State runs. But I don't think you're going to be seeing him drafted with the idea of having him play that position in the NFL and you may not see him drafted at all. Johnson is bigger than Edwards, close to as fast, and I think has a long arm that Edwards does not. I think he's probably better overall.

Don't know whether he'd be good at running the shotgun option style offense Edwards runs. But I think that if you gave most coaches around the country the choice between taking Johnson or Edwards to play quarterback for them they'd choose Johnson.

The same might be true of Flacco. For sure it's true if what you're talking about is NFL teams. I don't think there's an NFL team out there that wouldn't take Flacco to play quarterback from them over Edwards. Harder to say with college coaches. I think they put more of a premium on running ability than NFL coaches do.

JohnStOnge
March 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
On the other hand, I think NFL receivers are expected to catch whatever hits their hands...

Flacco did have a lot of dropped passes because he threw the ball too hard for his receivers to handle (if they were caught, his stats would have been that much better). I think hard throwers like Elway and Favre had similar issues in college. Pros, however, are expeted to CATCH the ball. That is why they are pros. xcoolx

No question pro receivers have better hands on average than college receivers. And they are expected to catch the ball. But, still, I think it's better for a quarterback to adust velocity for the situation. Of course, defensive backs are faster on average in the pros too so the quarterback has to make sure he doesn't take something off the ball then have the defensive back cover enough ground to get to it.

Nebuta
March 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Well, you heard about Josh Johnsons performance at the combine i imagine. I also heard flacco may have moved up to a 1st round pick because of his. Josh Johnsons throws were eradic and often spiraling wrong. Just a few things i read. Flacco was never given the Chance at Pitt. Not that he couldn't have done it given the chance. But why would you go to Pitt and play for a losing team, when you could go to UD and go to a National Championship?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/25/joe-flacco-was-the-combines-best-passer/

Most people have Flacco going on later then the 2nd round.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Well some people also have Dexter Jackson as a 1st round pick possibly. Which will not happen. Some mock drafts are ridiculous.

ChickenMan
March 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM

Apples and oranges.. Edwards is a great 'college' QB.. but he has ZERO shot of playing the QB position in the NFL. Flacco was a very good college QB who has the qualities that are required (size & arm) to become a very good NFL QB.

Simiply put.. the attributes that make a player a great college QB.. are often not the same attributes that are needed to become a NFL QB.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Imagine though, if an offense like the patriots run, had a mobile quarterback like armanti who runs in the 4.4's, that would open up a new era in the NFL.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Armanti being a mobile quarterback doesn't mean he can't throw. He is a great passer. Any team that gives him a chance will be rewarded. As will the team who drafts joe flacco

GannonFan
March 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Armanti being a mobile quarterback doesn't mean he can't throw. He is a great passer. Any team that gives him a chance will be rewarded. As will the team who drafts joe flacco

Let's not get crazy here. Armanti is a decent passer, but great is getting a little carried away. He's been throwing to some really great receivers and he gets a little of that benefit some option teams get when they pass - the running game, from the QB as well, is such a threat, that when they do pass things are wide open at times. Those things wouldn't happen in the NFL. You can't be a running QB in the NFL and last - just way too physical compared to college.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Micheal /vick did it the season before his incarceration so don't say that. Armanti wasn't around great recievers, he was around decent at best. Dexter dropped a few more than one sure touchdown pass, and against EWU Hans dropped 2 pass's and had 2 almost leave his hands. So decent. Sometimes the passing game opens up the running game also. He is better then you are giving him credit for.

The same could be said for Joe Flacco though. Having a RB like Omar Cuff doesn't hurt, and you saw what happened when they got away from the run. Joe's completion percentage plummeted. During the playoffs his completion percentage was almost 10% lower than his regular season.

Every quarterback might as well not be as good of passers as we think they are if you wanna go that route.

USDFAN_55
March 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Micheal /vick did it the season before his incarceration so don't say that. Armanti wasn't around great recievers, he was around decent at best. Dexter dropped a few more than one sure touchdown pass, and against EWU Hans dropped 2 pass's and had 2 almost leave his hands. So decent. Sometimes the passing game opens up the running game also. He is better then you are giving him credit for.

The same could be said for Joe Flacco though. Having a RB like Omar Cuff doesn't hurt, and you saw what happened when they got away from the run. Joe's completion percentage plummeted. During the playoffs his completion percentage was almost 10% lower than his regular season.

Every quarterback might as well not be as good of passers as we think they are if you wanna go that route.

Careful.... your about to feel the wrath of the Flacco Homersxsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
March 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Armanti being a mobile quarterback doesn't mean he can't throw. He is a great passer. Any team that gives him a chance will be rewarded.

They won't give him a chance. Personally, I think the NFL is too "locked in" to certain philsophies. No one in the NFL will try an option style offense, for instance. But the situation is what it is. AE doesn't fit in with the NFL as a QB.

DetroitFlyer
March 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
They won't give him a chance. Personally, I think the NFL is too "locked in" to certain philsophies. No one in the NFL will try an option style offense, for instance. But the situation is what it is. AE doesn't fit in with the NFL as a QB.

He would probably have to try what Kevin Hoyng is doing, trying out as a free safety. AE is too small, as is Kevin, to get consideration at QB. I do not think that is smart by the NFL, but it is what it is. AE is a great athlete so he may have an NFL future if he changes positions.

Retro
March 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
The days of the highly mobile NFL QB are over.. Vick never was consistent, although he was a great runner.. He never developed into a great throwing QB.. No SO-CALLED highly mobile QB, with emphasis on the running has ever won the super bowl and only donovan mcnabb was even close to that. Yet, he got to the super bowl because over time he did improve dramatically as a passer and less as a runner...

The NFL is a vert strategic game and any option offense would be quickly halted in it's tracks with NFL speed..

foghorn
March 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
The days of the highly mobile NFL QB are over.. Vick never was consistent, although he was a great runner.. He never developed into a great throwing QB.. No SO-CALLED highly mobile QB, with emphasis on the running has ever won the super bowl and only donovan mcnabb was even close to that. Yet, he got to the super bowl because over time he did improve dramatically as a passer and less as a runner...

The NFL is a vert strategic game and any option offense would be quickly halted in it's tracks with NFL speed..

McNabb 'improved dramatically' because he had T.O. as a receiver. Armanti Edwards is a great QB for Appy State's offense, but would get broken in half in the NFL, as a QB.
Armanti's athletic ability should get him a look as a DB or receiver in the NFL, however.

GannonFan
March 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM

Wait a minute, didn't Coulson say that Dexter is a potential first round pick? That's gotta be a good WR to throw to!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rob Iola
March 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

Actually, the NFL discourages running QB's because of the risk of injury - teams have too much money invested in their QB's to needlessly expose them to any more hits than necessary to support the passing game.

Rob Iola
March 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
BTW, why is my post count below 1000?

UMass922
March 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM

So? It's still not clear why, exactly, you find Dave Wannstedt's opinion about Joe Flacco four years ago more credible than the concensus opinion of NFL scouts today.

ericsaid
March 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Wait a minute, didn't Coulson say that Dexter is a potential first round pick? That's gotta be a good WR to throw to!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah but i've also heard numerous people say that Draft experts don't know what their talking about when it comes to 1-aa teams. He didn't see the dropped TD passes and just miscues DJ made. He's a good reciever yes but he could have easily had 12 TD's and not just 8 this year. He's not as reliable as everyone thinks he is. Kevin Richardson the RB had more receptions.

ericsaid
March 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Sure he doesn't fit in. But there always is that what if....

USDFAN_55
March 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
So? It's still not clear why, exactly, you find Dave Wannstedt's opinion about Joe Flacco four years ago more credible than the concensus opinion of NFL scouts today.

What scouts? All I read is from reporters and "experts." Last time I checked scouts don't write many articles. And yes, these reporters often quote scouts but I've said before these scouts aren't going to give their real opinion. That is for them and their team to know. If teams went into the draft knowing who the other teams were going to draft it would make things a lot different. Teams wouldn't panic and take a player earlier than they wanted if they knew he would be available later.

Also, I never said I value Wannstedt's opinion more. I said it is an event that raises questions in my head. Did Wannstedt see something everyone else doesn't see? Did Flacco quit without even trying to take the starting spot from Palko? I'm sure a lot of teams hounded Flacco during his interview regarding this situation.

Ud1Hens
March 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Did Wannstedt see something everyone else doesn't see? Did Flacco quit without even trying to take the starting spot from Palko? I'm sure a lot of teams hounded Flacco during his interview regarding this situation.

And I'm sure that he answered their questions very well...or his stock wouldn't continue to rise. If it makes you feel better to say Flacco quit and didn't have the guts to take the starting spot from Palko then go ahead and say it. xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
March 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
And I'm sure that he answered their questions very well...or his stock wouldn't continue to rise. If it makes you feel better to say Flacco quit and didn't have the guts to take the starting spot from Palko then go ahead and say it. xrolleyesx

Why do you guys take this so personal?

Ud1Hens
March 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM

Because some people feel it's necessary to question his heart and desire when they are thousands and thousands of miles away from the situation. Not to mention have never spoken with the man to see what type of guy he is.

What we're doing is no different than any other fans on this site in defending their team/player. Ex: Dayton fans thinking that their team deserved a playoff bid last year, CAA fans thinking they should have gotten 6 teams in, every team west of Pittsburgh, PA thinking that there is a East Coast Bias for seeding/playoffs/polls/publicity, San Diego fans thinking the Josh Johnson stats were not inflated b/c of competition, etc...obvisouly I am over exaggerating but you get the point. When people question someone or something they care about they will get defensive.

ChickenMan
March 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM

more to the point... WHY do you have 25 posts in this thread???

USDFAN_55
March 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
more to the point... WHY do you have 25 posts in this thread???

Some one has to be Devil's Advocatexnodx

Purple For Life
March 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Quite frankly, from what I recall off the top of my head with NO internet research, aren't the only current successful FCS NFL quarterbacks Romo and Warner?

Hey, I think Eric Sanders is a great player (don't think much of him as a person) but I know he isn't going to be drafted. Better for him that he gets that business degree. Remember--football is fleeting. Just look at the post NFL statistics. I'd rather players that have other talents off the field NOT go to the NFL.

USDFAN_55
March 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Quite frankly, from what I recall off the top of my head with NO internet research, aren't the only current successful FCS NFL quarterbacks Romo and Warner?

Hey, I think Eric Sanders is a great player (don't think much of him as a person) but I know he isn't going to be drafted. Better for him that he gets that business degree. Remember--football is fleeting. Just look at the post NFL statistics. I'd rather players that have other talents off the field NOT go to the NFL.

McNair was I-AA as well.

cougarpines
March 4th, 2008, 05:08 AM
McNair was I-AA as well.

Rich Gannon and Scott Brunner

bluehenbillk
March 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'll be the first to throw out the Flacco to Green Bay rumor....

USDFAN_55
March 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'll be the first to throw out the Flacco to Green Bay rumor....

You don't think they will give Rogers a shot first? Rogers was a pretty good Qb at Cal, but he's been stuck behind Favre since he was drafted. Green Bay will go with him this year and see if he is going to work for them. Just my opinion though.

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Favre retired!!

About damn time. I would expect them to draft Joe Flacco.
GB does have FU alumni Engel Martin even though I don't expect him to play.

Touchdown Yosef
March 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
You don't think they will give Rogers a shot first? Rogers was a pretty good Qb at Cal, but he's been stuck behind Favre since he was drafted. Green Bay will go with him this year and see if he is going to work for them. Just my opinion though.

I don't think they would have kept him all these years if they didn't think he could take over. They knew this was comming and if they didn't think Rodgers was the next guy they were stupid for not preparing. Rodgers has benefitted from the best mentor you could ask for in a QB and it will be interesting to see how he handles the new role.

bleedblue
March 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Seriously? Every time you say something negative about your boy you have to defend it. Joe has poor footwork, no defending. Josh has played weak 1-AA competition. They are valid points. They don't need your defense. We know who takes this comparison personally. Just stop.

USDFAN_55
March 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Seriously? Every time you say something negative about your boy you have to defend it. Joe has poor footwork, no defending. Josh has played weak 1-AA competition. They are valid points. They don't need your defense. We know who takes this comparison personally. Just stop.

Where have a taken it personally? Where have I started the "jelousy" theory? I made very valid points in this thread, and answered the question of the thread. As soon as I say something the Flacco Homers don't like, they say I'm jelous of the attention he is getting. They try and compare him to Josh, which I never did. I stayed on topic, while you guys cried blasphemy. I'm sorry that I don't worship the ground Joe walks on. I think he has a chance to be a good NFL Qb, but right now I don't think he's as good as the hype.

Jaxhen
March 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Might as well give up with this guy. Any valid response that you give will automatically be discredited as a homer response, similar to how the conservative talk show hosts paint the broad brush of "liberal" on anyone who disagrees with them. Instead of using critical thinking skills to actually evaluate what someone is saying, it is much easier to just unfairly slam them with a label. Ironically, the biggest homers on this thread are this guy and Detroit Flyer. Amazingly, if you say something positive about Flacco, you are annoying or a homer, but it is okay for them to promote their players because they, of course, are objective. I have no problem with them talking with pride about Josh Johnson or Kevin Hoyng. They are rightfully proud of them and I wish nothing but the best for both of them. I have no problem with App. St. fans talking about Dexter Jackson, or any other fan talking with pride about their players. It is just a shame that USD acts as if he would be delighted if Flacco fails so he can gloat about his infinite wisdom and expertise in evaluating talent. Of course, if Flacco succeeds you will never get an admission from him that he was wrong. It's amazing to me that someone who knows so little about Flacco and has seen him perform so few times claims to be such an expert on his abilities versus Delaware fans who have watched him perform in 26 games and team scouts who have him rated as one of the best QBs in the draft. Although you criticize others for taking it personal, no one on here even comes close to the number of posts you have on the subject. Just who is really taking this personal?

USDFAN_55
March 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Might as well give up with this guy. Any valid response that you give will automatically be discredited as a homer response, similar to how the conservative talk show hosts paint the broad brush of "liberal" on anyone who disagrees with them. Instead of using critical thinking skills to actually evaluate what someone is saying, it is much easier to just unfairly slam them with a label. Ironically, the biggest homers on this thread are this guy and Detroit Flyer. Amazingly, if you say something positive about Flacco, you are annoying or a homer, but it is okay for them to promote their players because they, of course, are objective. I have no problem with them talking with pride about Josh Johnson or Kevin Hoyng. They are rightfully proud of them and I wish nothing but the best for both of them. I have no problem with App. St. fans talking about Dexter Jackson, or any other fan talking with pride about their players. It is just a shame that USD acts as if he would be delighted if Flacco fails so he can gloat about his infinite wisdom and expertise in evaluating talent. Of course, if Flacco succeeds you will never get an admission from him that he was wrong. It's amazing to me that someone who knows so little about Flacco and has seen him perform so few times claims to be such an expert on his abilities versus Delaware fans who have watched him perform in 26 games and team scouts who have him rated as one of the best QBs in the draft. Although you criticize others for taking it personal, no one on here even comes close to the number of posts you have on the subject. Just who is really taking this personal?

Where have a I said Flacco will fail? Please point this out to me. You guys are hillarious. xlolx My points were to illustrate that Flacco is not what "everyone" is saying he is. The media falls in love with a big kid and a big arm; immediately saying he's the next Big Ben. I'm just pointing out the flaws that make me believe he is not the 3rd best QB in this draft (definitely not a round 1 prospect). At no point have I said Johnson is better than Flacco. At no point have a said flacco will suck in the NFL.xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

bleedblue
March 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Where have a taken it personally? Where have I started the "jelousy" theory? I made very valid points in this thread, and answered the question of the thread. As soon as I say something the Flacco Homers don't like, they say I'm jelous of the attention he is getting. They try and compare him to Josh, which I never did. I stayed on topic, while you guys cried blasphemy. I'm sorry that I don't worship the ground Joe walks on. I think he has a chance to be a good NFL Qb, but right now I don't think he's as good as the hype.

Is Josh as good as the hype, what hype he has?

ericsaid
March 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
He throws wounded ducksxlolxxpeacex

That is JJ's hype.

USDFAN_55
March 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Is Josh as good as the hype, what hype he has?

Why don't you start a thread? By the way, what does "what hype he has?" mean? xconfusedx

OhioHen
March 5th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Every time Favre has had to sit out part of a game the last few years, Rogers has gotten hurt and the Packers' third QB becomes the backup (Ingle Martin 2 years ago, Craig Nall last year). There have to be serious questions about Rogers' ability to stay healthy, so if the Packers don't think Nall and/or Martin is the answer at QB, drafting somebody is a possibility. I doubt they'd spend a first or second round pick this year, though. xtwocentsx