PDA

View Full Version : San Diego QB Josh Johnson runs 4.44 at NFL Combine

GOTOREROS
February 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
TV guys are raving about San Diego's Josh Johnson at the combine. Might move up to 4th round or better.....we will see.....4.44 in the 40 is pretty darn good for a QB.....

FUwolfpacker
February 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Officially came in at 4.55 sec. The times announced on TV were unoffical times.

bulldog10jw
February 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Good luck to him. I hope he has a nice pro career.

UNHFan99
February 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Best of luck to Josh. I hope he succeeds.

already123
February 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
4.44 or 4.55. still the best time at the QB position. I still think he is the best FCS QB selection available this year. No FCS player gets me more excited about the upcoming NFL season

eddyg
February 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I still think he is the best FCS QB selection available this year.

ever hear of Joe Flacco?

zymergy
February 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
ever hear of Joe Flacco?

Just in case....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/02/22/combine.2.22/index.html

Dane96
February 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
4.44 or 4.55. still the best time at the QB position. I still think he is the best FCS QB selection available this year. No FCS player gets me more excited about the upcoming NFL season

I am not sure how you can say this, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Flacco is MUCH bigger...ran a 4.7 40...and has a MUCH better arm.

USDFAN_55
February 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
These guys seem to like Johnson as well. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806dd7f3&campaign=ec0005

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I am not sure how you can say this, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Flacco is MUCH bigger...ran a 4.7 40...and has a MUCH better arm.

Not anywhere near a 4.7. They only listed the 40 times for the top 8 QBs, was 4.55 (Johnson) to 4.85. Flacco not in there. His "official" 40 time at the combines I think was a 4.88. I watched him run it on TV.

GannonFan
February 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Not anywhere near a 4.7. They only listed the 40 times for the top 8 QBs, was 4.55 (Johnson) to 4.85. Flacco not in there. His "official" 40 time at the combines I think was a 4.88. I watched him run it on TV.

As with Johnson's 4.4 (later corrected to 4.55), the 4.7 people were quoting for Flacco was the unofficial hand timed 40, that was later corrected to the electrically timed 40. The good news for Flacco, even with the 4.88, he was still ahead of any of the competition who could go in front of him in the draft (Henne, for instance, was slower - the guys in the top 8 of the 40 aren't serious threats to be drafted until the later rounds) and the 40 time for a QB is a little useless in the NFL - QB's aren't typically going to be running for that length of time. Flacco did very well in the more pertinent events like the 3 cone drill (which he won and even beat Johnson) that meaure more the ability to move in the pocket.

mcveyrl
February 27th, 2008, 07:44 AM
As with Johnson's 4.4 (later corrected to 4.55), the 4.7 people were quoting for Flacco was the unofficial hand timed 40, that was later corrected to the electrically timed 40. The good news for Flacco, even with the 4.88, he was still ahead of any of the competition who could go in front of him in the draft (Henne, for instance, was slower - the guys in the top 8 of the 40 aren't serious threats to be drafted until the later rounds) and the 40 time for a QB is a little useless in the NFL - QB's aren't typically going to be running for that length of time. Flacco did very well in the more pertinent events like the 3 cone drill (which he won and even beat Johnson) that meaure more the ability to move in the pocket.

Yea, all things being equal, an NFL team would rather have a QB with a 4.8 with a laser-rocket arm (don't you love how that commercial has spurred that phrase?) than someone at 4.55 with Johnson's arm.

Not to mention Flacco's 6'6".

Peems
February 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yea, all things being equal, an NFL team would rather have a QB with a 4.8 with a laser-rocket arm (don't you love how that commercial has spurred that phrase?) than someone at 4.55 with Johnson's arm.

Not to mention Flacco's 6'6".

Are you telling me Flacco is the next Peyton;)

mcveyrl
February 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Are you telling me Flacco is the next Peyton;)

Didn't you read my post?

He's TALLER than Peyton (by an inch).

USDFAN_55
February 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Once again, a thread hi-jacked by the guys on Flacco's jockxlolx

Dane96
February 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
A San Diego/PFL fan complaining of hi-jacked threads...OMG...I just soiled myself.

USDFAN_55
February 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
A San Diego/PFL fan complaining of hi-jacked threads...OMG...I just soiled myself.

I'll complain because I am not grouped with the people you speak of.

Dane96
February 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Good point.

GannonFan
February 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Once again, a thread hi-jacked by the guys on Flacco's jockxlolx

Wah Wah Wah - the thread got off course when the post was made about Johnson being the best FCS QB recruit out there this year (I'll assume a Johnson supporter). Although not mentioning Flacco by name, that certainly opened the door for the discussion to change as it did. Not a classic hijacking then. xpeacex

bleedblue
February 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Not to kill the subject but have you USD guys noticed the "draft experts" are also on Joe's jock? That's gotta say something. It's not just UD fans. We UD fans are not saying who will have the better NFL career. We are only saying that Joe is the FCS man in terms of QB draft position. With Josh's upside he could be in fact the better QB when it's all said and done. As of now Joe is better than Josh, according to the draft experts. Nothing personal, just feeding off what the Mayocks and Kipers of the world are saying.

blukeys
February 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Wah Wah Wah - the thread got off course when the post was made about Johnson being the best FCS QB recruit out there this year (I'll assume a Johnson supporter). Although not mentioning Flacco by name, that certainly opened the door for the discussion to change as it did. Not a classic hijacking then. xpeacex

Agreed, when someone states that anyone is the BEST FCS QB, they are inviting a response. One could make a great case for Ricky Santos in that situation and it would be a warranted response and not thread hijacking.

Peems
February 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Poor Santos didn't even get invited xsmhx

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Not to kill the subject but have you USD guys noticed the "draft experts" are also on Joe's jock? That's gotta say something. It's not just UD fans. We UD fans are not saying who will have the better NFL career. We are only saying that Joe is the FCS man in terms of QB draft position. With Josh's upside he could be in fact the better QB when it's all said and done. As of now Joe is better than Josh, according to the draft experts. Nothing personal, just feeding off what the Mayocks and Kipers of the world are saying.

Draft guys were on Ryan Leaf's jock as well....
We all know these so called draft experts really don't know jack when it comes to evaluating a prospect. Wasn't it the same experts that said Houston made the biggest mistake taking Mario Williams, and now it is looking like they were wrong making those statements. It's a good thing NFL teams don't take any advice from these "experts."

cougarpines
February 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I didn't know SD had a FCS team yet alone a QB. This sounds like the bravado we heard from DSU.

OhioHen
February 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I didn't know SD had a FCS team yet alone a QB. This sounds like the bravado we heard from DSU.

The above is evidence that cougarpines is woefully uninformed about FCS football. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

bleedblue
February 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Draft guys were on Ryan Leaf's jock as well....
We all know these so called draft experts really don't know jack when it comes to evaluating a prospect. Wasn't it the same experts that said Houston made the biggest mistake taking Mario Williams, and now it is looking like they were wrong making those statements. It's a good thing NFL teams don't take any advice from these "experts."

Do you mean to say you know more about football then Mayock or Kiper?

ericsaid
February 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I just watched a video on youtube of highlights from JJ's season. In my opinion his release point of the ball is too low. Need to get it up like Joe Flacco's high release point and he doesnt even need one. Josh johnson will if he wants any chance of starting.

USDFAN_55
March 1st, 2008, 12:13 AM
I just watched a video on youtube of highlights from JJ's season. In my opinion his release point of the ball is too low. Need to get it up like Joe Flacco's high release point and he doesnt even need one. Josh johnson will if he wants any chance of starting.

That's an interesting opinion. Haven't heard that observation yet. I'll have to take a closer look at the films. From what I remeber his throwing motion was pretty solid as far as arm motion. I do remember that he wasn't using his hips as much as he could, which would help on his velocity.

ericsaid
March 1st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I may be wrong, but when he gets in the NFL he will start throwing over the top, i looked and seems like he has a bit of a side arm motion almost.