PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco strongest arm in the NFL draft

AAadict
February 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hen's #5 the biggest QB draft story out FCS/I-AA since "Air" McNair?

SideLine Shooter
February 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
He just needed some receivers that could catch his passes @ UD.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
He just needed some receivers that could catch his passes @ UD.

They did fairly well this year - getting to the finals isn't exactly a bad year.

phillyAPP
February 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
They did fairly well this year - getting to the finals isn't exactly a bad year.

GF- It was a compliment. Flacco had the throws his stats would have been amazing if half of the dropped balls were caught!

xthumbsupx

FCS IS SHOWING ITS STUFF IN COMBINES !!!!

UNHFan99
February 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Everyone who has watched Flacco in the past knew his arm was rediculous. I never thought of him as a great qb but only as a great arm until his senior year. UD fans said from the start he was special. Something happened to him before his senior year, maybe it was the group of players around him or the coaching. I wish him the best and am very interested in seeing how his career plays out. He could be a Tony Romo and have great success or a Giovanni Carmazzi. Something special happened to him his senior year and it was special to watch.

EKU05
February 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I think Flacco is deserving of every bit of hype he's getting, but arm strength specifically is among the most overrated QB attributes out there. Certainly there is a minimum amount needed, but unusual amounts of it only come in handy on a very tiny percentage of plays.

I always think of this one time when I was watching Sports Center...they were doing a Georgia Tech game when Tech had the very over-hyped Reggie Ball at QB. People were amazed at his ability to throw the ball deep, and indeed in the course of this highlight they did show one TRULY amazing deep TD throw, and then raved about Ball endlessly for the rest of the highlight.

Then when they showed the box score it was revealed (but not spoken of) that Ball was 6/16 in that game, and I believe he had thrown like two interceptions.

I guess long story short, I'll take a somewhat weaker arm who is accurate and good decision maker any day over a guy like Ball. Fortuntately for Flacco he has all three.

neersnbeers
February 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Joe is gonna produce in the NFL. Best of luck to him.

Bluehenfan08
February 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM
you appy fans only saw Flacco in one game. You can't judge him by that one game or his receivers. He had some pretty good receivers.

AAadict
February 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=EKU05;874508]I think Flacco is deserving of every bit of hype he's getting, but arm strength specifically is among the most overrated QB attributes out there.

AAadict
February 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Not an overated attribute in my opinion. With the speed of players these days the defenders close so fast that the ball must get there quick. I would say, to your point, that Joe Montana had quite a career with well timed passes and an amazing ability to run an offense.
I titled the thread as I did because Joe Flacco just won the NFL strongest arm competition during a recent ESPN QB challenge. NFL network expert shows Flacco's positive as "Arm Strength" and negative as "Footwork". Hopefully footwork is also an overrated attribute.

AppStsGr8
February 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
This evening I heard ESPN mention that Flacco hadn't had such a great combine day. I hope he shows very well the rest of the time. Any FCS greatness that translates into NFL greatness can only help the FCS as a whole.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Odd to hear that since he had great results - won the 3 cone drill and was in the top 10 for a bunch of other drills, and mostly ahead of the names he's competiting with (Henne, Brohm, etc).

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Probably everyone who would care has seen this video, but whatever, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW_RdJjtos&feature=related

Jaxhen
February 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
This evening I heard ESPN mention that Flacco hadn't had such a great combine day. I hope he shows very well the rest of the time. Any FCS greatness that translates into NFL greatness can only help the FCS as a whole.

Really surprised to hear that since all the people I heard at the NFL Combine praised his performance, and he participated in (except the bench press) and did well in all of the events

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

40-Yard Dash (4.78 sec unofficial)
Vertical Jump - 5th (28.5")
Broad Jump - 5th (9'2")
3-Cone Drill - 1st (6.82 sec)
20-Yard Shuttle - 2nd (4.27 sec)

Pretty good results for a 6'6" QB. His performance should help him.

BDKJMU
February 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Really surprised to hear that since all the people I heard at the NFL Combine praised his performance, and he participated in (except the bench press) and did well in all of the events

Broad Jump - 5th (9'2")

The "official" 40 times doesn't have him among the top 8 for QBs (8th best is 4.85). I saw the NFL Newtorks Combine show for QBs, WRs, and Running Backs, and saw Flacco run. I think his official time was 4.88.

BDKJMU
February 25th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Broad Jump - 5th (9'2")

The "official" 40 times doesn't have him among the top 8 for QBs (8th best is 4.85). I saw the NFL Newtorks Combine show for QBs, WRs, and Running Backs, and saw Flacco run. I think his official time was 4.88.

Interstingly Josh Johnson, the only other I-AA QB up there, who had the fastest official 40 time time for a QB, 4.55, and the best vertical, Flacco tied for 5th in the Broad Jump, and Flacco finished way ahead of Johnson in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle (Johnson isn't even listed in the top 6 and top 8, respectively). It leaves you scratching your head as to how could someone beat someone by .33 in the 40, but be slower in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Results aren't up yet for the 60 yard shuttle for Qbs, and for some reason they only show 1 QB with rep results in the 225 bench.

Jaxhen
February 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Interstingly Josh Johnson, the only other I-AA QB up there, who had the fastest official 40 time time for a QB, 4.55, and the best vertical, Flacco tied for 5th in the Broad Jump, and Flacco finished way ahead of Johnson in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle (Johnson isn't even listed in the top 6 and top 8, respectively). It leaves you scratching your head as to how could someone beat someone by .33 in the 40, but be slower in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Results aren't up yet for the 60 yard shuttle for Qbs, and for some reason they only show 1 QB with rep results in the 225 bench.

I don't think any of the QBs except for one did the bench press. I was surprised to see Flacco at his size win the 3-cone drill and finish 2nd in the 20-yard shuttle. A few more articles on Flacco:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/02/24/combine.sunday/index.html?eref=T1
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/02/24/2008-02-24_flacco_can_have_special_combine_day.html

and video clip:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806da311