PDA

View Full Version : FCS 1st Round Draft history

aust42
February 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I think this was a topic a long time ago, but I'm curious how many FCS players have been drafted in the 1st round and from what school?

I'd like to soon say Joe Flacco from Delaware 2008. Flacco is a long shot but still a possible pic in the 1st round. From the USA Today below.

"Going back in for a QB: Mayock noted that in three consecutive drafts a team has traded back into the end of the first round to select a quarterback. Three years ago, the Buffalo Bills moved back into the first round to select J.P. Losman. Two years ago, the Redskins did it to pick Campbell, and last year the Browns traded a 2008 first-round pick to Dallas to select Quinn at No. 22.

It could happen again.

"The last three years of the draft somebody has traded up to get a quarterback in the 20s," Mayock said. "If you look at the top eight teams, four of them need quarterbacks and only one of them is going to get one. So those other three teams could be candidates to move back up in the 20s."

Three guys to keep an eye on if that happens: Michigan's Chad Henne, Louisville's Brian Brohm and Delaware's Joe Flacco."

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think this was a topic a long time ago, but I'm curious how many FCS players have been drafted in the 1st round and from what school?

I'd like to soon say Joe Flacco from Delaware 2008. Flacco is a long shot but still a possible pic in the 1st round. From the USA Today below.

"Going back in for a QB: Mayock noted that in three consecutive drafts a team has traded back into the end of the first round to select a quarterback. Three years ago, the Buffalo Bills moved back into the first round to select J.P. Losman. Two years ago, the Redskins did it to pick Campbell, and last year the Browns traded a 2008 first-round pick to Dallas to select Quinn at No. 22.

It could happen again.

"The last three years of the draft somebody has traded up to get a quarterback in the 20s," Mayock said. "If you look at the top eight teams, four of them need quarterbacks and only one of them is going to get one. So those other three teams could be candidates to move back up in the 20s."

Three guys to keep an eye on if that happens: Michigan's Chad Henne, Louisville's Brian Brohm and Delaware's Joe Flacco."

A great question. There can't be too many.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I really doubt that Flacco will go in rd. 1. A lot of teams are going to have to make a decision whether a "decent" quarterback that played tougher competition (Andre Woodson for example) will be a safer bet than a "good" quarterback who had it a bit easier.

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Here's what I got, first rounders only from current FCS participants:

Yr Rd (OV) Team Name Pos College
1978 17 (17) TAM Doug Williams QB Grambling
1979 7 (7) NYG Phil Simms QB Morehead State
1980 23 (23) PHI Roynell Young DB Alcorn State
1981 -
1982 14 (14) LAM Barry Redden RB Richmond
1983 17 (17) SLC Leonard Smith DB McNeese State
1983 24 (24) NYJ Ken O'Brien QB UC-Davis
1984 6 (6) SDG Lee Williams DE Bethune-Cookman
1984 22 (22) SEA Terry Taylor DB Southern Illinois
1984 25 (25) DAL Todd Fowler TE Stephen F. Austin
1985 16 (16) SFO Jerry Rice WR Mississippi Valley State
1986 -
1987 -
1988 18 (18) PIT Aaron Jones DE Eastern Kentucky
1989 27 (27) ATL Shawn Collins WR Northern Arizona
1990 21 (21) PIT Eric Green TE Liberty
1991 -
1992 26 (26) DET Robert Porcher DE South Carolina State
1993 19 (19) PHI Lester Holmes G Jackson State
1994 11 (11) CHI John Thierry DE Alcorn State
1995 3 (3) HOO Steve McNair QB Alcorn State
1996 29 (29) PIT Jamain Stephens T North Carolina A&T
1997 -
1998 -
1999 -
2000 21 (21) KAN Sylvester Morris WR Jackson State
2000 23 (23) CAR Rashard Anderson DB Jackson State

None since the 2000 draft

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
8 of 20 from SWAC schools, toss in the 3 from the MEAC and over half are HBCU picks, 3 each from Jackson St and Alcorn, no other team has multiple first rounders

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I really doubt that Flacco will go in rd. 1. A lot of teams are going to have to make a decision whether a "decent" quarterback that played tougher competition (Andre Woodson for example) will be a safer bet than a "good" quarterback who had it a bit easier.

Not saying it can't happen, but Woodson going before Flacco could very well be more of a reach than Flacco going in the first round. Ryan and Brohm could easily go before Flacco, but Woodson's had a bad runup so far to the draft, he hasn't looked great anywhere so far, he doesn't have a lot of arm strength, and at least Flacco's offense was closer to what they'll see in the NFL rather than Woodson's.

HighRyder08
February 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
there is another thread on here that talks about dexter jackson potentially going first round to the 49ers... do you guys think that could happen? if not, what round do you think he will end up in?

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
there is another thread on here that talks about dexter jackson potentially going first round to the 49ers... do you guys think that could happen? if not, what round do you think he will end up in?

That's high for him - actually it's very high for him. At his size, it would be a shock to take him that early, especially if people think he'll just be a kick returner for the first few years. If I had to guess, I'd say 3rd or 4th round.

Peems
February 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM
McShay said that he thinks Jackson will run the fastest 40 time out of everyone there, he said the other guy to watch is some receiver/running back from Houston. Jackson seems to only be going up xthumbsupx

seantaylor
February 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I would take Flacco in the first. My Skins drafted the bum that is Jason Campbell in the first.

bench
February 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
That's high for him - actually it's very high for him. At his size, it would be a shock to take him that early, especially if people think he'll just be a kick returner for the first few years. If I had to guess, I'd say 3rd or 4th round.

I loved the guy, but if someone's drafting him to be a kick returner, uh, they need to watch some film of him returning kicks first, because they obviously haven't. Better yet, they should watch film of the stands during his returns and how many fans were either covering their eyes or turned their back to the field because they couldn't bear to watch. I did both.

If your punt returner makes you say "Well, at least he didn't fumble" more than twice during the season (and I did) after another head-scratcher of a return, he isn't much of a punt returner

HighRyder08
February 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM
if he makes it to the league i think he will change his rule of judgement on punt returns.... trying to make something happen on a return in the pros is a lot different than returning a kick in 1-aa football.... he will wise up

JohnStOnge
February 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
McShay said that he thinks Jackson will run the fastest 40 time out of everyone there, he said the other guy to watch is some receiver/running back from Houston. Jackson seems to only be going up xthumbsupx

If what's on NFL.com is accurate, he was edged out among receivers by DeSean Jackson's 4.35 to his 4.37. Will Franklin and Andre Caldwell also clocked 4.37s.