PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's thoughts on "non I-A players"

AppAlum2003
February 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Was reading Mel's chat today on espn.com and found this interesting:

Barbato (Scranton, PA): Is there any divison II players that anyone should be looking at?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:51 PM ET ) The non-I-A guys that you'd be looking at: Nick Hill, QB, S. Illinois; Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego; Xavier Omon, RB, NW Missouri St.; Tim Hightower, RB, Richmond; Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina; Bruce Hocker, WR, Duquesne; Mike Peterson, TE, NW Missouri St.; Kolo Kapanui, TE, W. Texas A+M; Demetrius Bell, OT, Northwestern St. (LA); Brian Johnston, DE, Gardner-Webb; Rudy Hardie, DE, Howard; Kroy Biermann, DE, Montana; Korey Lynch, S, Appalachain St.; Rob Zarrilli, PK, Hofstra; Mike Dragosavich, P, N. Dakota St.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:51 PM ET ) And Benjamin Dato, P, Fordham.

Appguy
February 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
seems to be from the top of his head but interesting to mention our 3rd best prospect(according to websites anyway)and not Dexter jackson or kerry brown.

GannonFan
February 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The context of the conversation would be important - he didn't mention Cromartie from Tennessee St or Flacco - both of those guys will be drafted in the top 3 rounds while none of those other guys will - heck, a lot of those guys mentioned aren't going to be drafted (not a bad thing, per se, being a FA is often better than a 6th or 7th round pick anyway).

danefan
February 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The context of the conversation would be important - he didn't mention Cromartie from Tennessee St or Flacco - both of those guys will be drafted in the top 3 rounds while none of those other guys will - heck, a lot of those guys mentioned aren't going to be drafted (not a bad thing, per se, being a FA is often better than a 6th or 7th round pick anyway).

It was just a quick webchat on ESPN.com. he probably didn't mention Flacco because he had mentioned him many times before that in response to other questions about QB's.

There is also a video on ESPN about Flacco's pre-combine preparation:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3254798&categoryId=2564308

Peems
February 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
He also doesn't mention Chad Rinehart who he has listed as the fifth best tackle in the draft

PantherRob82
February 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
He also doesn't mention Chad Rinehart who he has listed as the fifth best tackle in the draft

I thought that was odd too...

CarolinaGirl
February 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Isn't it overall "odd"? That is his answer to which D-II players should people be looking at??!!?

AppAlum2003
February 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=776740

This fast small-college wideout is moving up charts after getting an invite to the Senior Bowl. He has elite speed that should move him up the charts significantly. I expect him to run a sub-4.4 time in the 40-yard dash this weekend.