PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Hoyng to give the NFL a shot!!!!!

DetroitFlyer
February 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/02/19/ddn022008combine.html

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

DAYTON — His days as a quarterback at the University of Dayton are finished, but his time as a free safety at the professional level is just beginning.

Kevin Hoyng is determined to chase his NFL dream.

I'm glad to see Kevin giving the NFL a shot. Kevin is one heck of an athlete and if he were a couple of inches taller, he would be drafted as a QB. I really like his agent's approach as Kevin would bring a ton of value to an NFL team. He is obviously focusing on free safety, but he could be a receiver, special teams player, or a QB. He is the prototypical "Athlete" type of player.

We do not get many kids chasing the NFL dream at UD, so it will be an absolute blast to see Kevin give it his all! I still think that if the NFL thing does not work out, Kevin would be an outstanding AFL QB. Not the AFL2, but the AFL.

Here is to hoping he gets his shot and catches the right team's eye.... I have to wonder if Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay is listening....

For those of you that do not know, Jon is a proud UD grad. He was the back-up QB for Dayton in the mid-80's. If anyone was going to give a gifted UD grad a shot, one might think that Jon Gruden would be the guy....

Another possibility might be Jack Harbaugh. He has surely heard of Kevin from his brother Jim....

already123
February 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
good player?

DetroitFlyer
February 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
good player?

http://www.pioneer-football.org/article.asp?articleid=89156

You might say that.... Kevin Hoyng was picked as the PFL's offensive player of the year, ahead of San Diego's Josh Johnson! Yes, that Josh Johnson who was MVP of the East/West Shrine game and that Josh Johnson who will be drafted this year!

Kevin is 6' 0". If he were two to three inches taller, he would be getting drafted as a QB as well. He is an amazing athlete, and I think he has an excellent shot at the NFL!

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&site=org

If you look at the 2007 FCS stats, Kevin was 6th in passing efficiency, 4th in total offense, 13 in passing, 5th in passing yards, and 8th in passing yards per game!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/02/19/ddn022008combine.html

Kevin Hoyng file

College: University of Dayton

High School: Coldwater

Pro Position: Free safety

Highlights: Second-team All-America quarterback on 2007 Sports Network Mid-Major All-America team ... Holds UD records for passing yardage (7,862), completions (530), attempts (1,013) and total offense (9,565) ... Led UD to 11-1 record in 2007 ... Flyers were voted FCS Mid-Major National Champions after defeating Albany, 42-21, in the Gridiron Classic ... UD also claimed co-championship in PFL, the school's ninth league title in the last 15 years.

Personal: Graduated in 2007 with a 3.57 GPA as a middle childhood education major ... Currently a long-term substitute teacher in the Miamisburg and Northmont school systems ... Signed with Dayton agent Ron Todd.

Quote: "He's clean cut. No earrings. No tattoos. No baggage. He fits the mold of what the NFL wants in a player. He deserves a shot." — Ron Todd

DetroitFlyer
February 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks?tag=kevin%20hoyng

Looking for diamonds in the rough

February 24, 2008 4:11 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Hundreds of agents descend upon Indianapolis for the combine, in part because the NFL Players Association requires certified representatives to attend a conference each year. Few agents are more recognizable than Ron Todd from Dayton, Ohio. He looks like a retired NFL nose tackle, only bigger (see photo), and he works the combine hard on behalf of the little-known clients he takes pride in representing and developing.

Todd made his name in the business by representing Hugh Douglas before anyone knew the Central (Ohio) State pass rusher would become an NFL star.

Today, Todd was handing out a stapled four-page packet featuring biographical information for Dayton quarterback Kevin Hoyng. Todd is promoting Hoyng as a free safety and special-teams player in the NFL. Hoyng claims a 4.45-second time in the 40 on his resume. At 6 feet and 192 pounds, he's smaller than most NFL quarterbacks.

But as the packet notes, quoting recently retired Dayton coach Mike Kelly: "I've been fortunate to be at the University of Dayton for nearly 30 years and Kevin is probably in the top four or five football players that I've had."

Sounds like Kevin has a fantastic agent. I cannot wait to see which team he signs with as a free agent. For many of you, watching kids from your program chase the NFL dream is sort of routine.... At Dayton, we have not had a player go to the NFL since the late 1970's. Kicker Jesse Obert was the last to try, having been invited to the Browns camp as a free agent. Jesse did not make a team, but spent about four years kicking in the AFL2 and the AFL. This is very exciting for this Flyer fan!

GO KEVIN HOYNG!!!!!

Franks Tanks
February 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Kevin Hoyng is so good he single handedly beat Patriot League champion Fordham

DetroitFlyer
February 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hoyng talks with Texans!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/2008/02/24/ddn022508nflnotebook.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=50

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, February 25, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS — From Holy Angels Church to the Marriott hotel to the Indiana Convention Center to an interview room with the Houston Texans, University of Dayton football star Kevin Hoyng got his first taste of the NFL fishbowl on Sunday, Feb. 24.

Hoyng and his agent, Ron Todd, attended Mass in the morning in Dayton, then drove to Indy for the NFL Scouting Combine. The quarterback-turned-safety wasn't invited to participate in drills. But Texans assistant coach Perry Carter made him feel welcome with a 15-minute interview.

Hoyng will meet more defensive backs and special teams coaches today. His goal is landing a contract as a college free agent if he doesn't get drafted.

Standing near the promenade that links the RCA Dome to the convention center, Hoyng watched some safeties get ushered into the media center for interviews.

"I'm just as big as these guys are," the 6-foot, 192-pounder said.

Todd passed out Hoyng's bio to NFL personnel and media members in support of his client, who hopes to participate in Miami University's Pro Day workout for NFL scouts on March 13 in Oxford.

"If you're intimidated," Hoyng said, "you're not going to be successful. I want to let them know that I'm confident, and show them that I can play."

USDFAN_55
February 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Two, possibly three, PFL players in the NFL next year. That would be great!xthumbsupx Best of luck to Kevin getting a shot on continuing his dream.

GO PFLxhurrayx

DetroitFlyer
March 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Kevin will work out at Bowling Green's pro day on March 11, 2008. His request to work out at Miami, Ohio's pro day was denied. How lame is that? Just another reason to hate Miami,OH!!!!!

The teams that have expressed an interest in Kevin so far are reported to be:

Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens, St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Bucs, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals.

It would be very cool if Kevin ended up playing for UD grad and former UD QB, and Super Bowl ring owner, Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay! It would also be cool if he ended up with the Bengals, ( close to home ). OK, let's be honest here, it would be cool if he makes a team! Glad to see that a number of teams are interested in Kevin's services.

http://www.western-star.com/blogs/co...oach_kell.html

Hoyng: “A present for Coach Kelly”
By Chick Ludwig | Thursday, February 28, 2008, 11:37 AM

Former University of Dayton football star Kevin Hoyng is burning with a desire to play in the NFL.
He’s also yearning to fulfill another goal, a goal that involves Mike Kelly, who recently retired as head coach of the Flyers.
“I want to give Coach Kelly a present,” Hoyng said. “I want him to see me play in an NFL game.”
Hoyng’s next big step comes March 11 at 7:30 a. m. when he participates in Bowling Green’s Pro Day workout in front of NFL scouts.
The University of Dayton asked Miami University if Hoyng could participate in Miami’s Pro Day on March 13 in Oxford, but the request was denied.
Among the teams that have expressed an interest in Hoyng — during and after the NFL Scouting Combine — are the Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens, St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Bucs, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals.
The 6-foot, 192-pounder blossomed as a quarterback at Dayton, where he holds school records for passing yardage (7,862), completions (530), attempts (1,013) and total offense (9,565). But he’s training as an NFL free safety because he runs a sub-4.5 40-yard dash.
QUOTES ABOUT KEVIN HOYNG
— From UD defensive backs coach James Stanley: “Kevin has that swagger. He’s consistently getting better every day because his learning curve is phenomenal.”
— From former UD head coach Mike Kelly: “In my 27 years as head football coach at the University of Dayton, Kevin’s in my top four or five players.”
— From Hoyng’s agent Ron Todd: “If Kevin does what I know he can do, he will make it in the NFL. That’s honest. That’s a fact. He’s a football player first, who happens to be a great athlete, too.”
— From Kevin Hoyng, who learned the game at the knee of his father, Tim, the former head coach and current defensive coordinator at Coldwater High School: “I was always at practice with my dad. I was the manager since first grade. Football is something that’s been very important in my life and something I love.”

DetroitFlyer
March 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Former Dayton QB to work out for Bengals after Pro Day
Click-2-Listen
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/03/03/ddn030408hoyng.html

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

MIAMISBURG — The most high-profile substitute teacher at Wantz Middle School is getting an opportunity to try out in his quest to be an NFL free safety.

Kevin Hoyng, the former University of Dayton quarterback from Coldwater High School, will work out for the Cincinnati Bengals on March 14 in Dayton, three days after he participates in Bowling Green State University's Pro Day in front of NFL scouts on Tuesday, March 11.

DetroitFlyer
March 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/03/06/ddn030708onlineextra.html

Interview with Kevin Hoyng

Sitting down with Kevin Hoyng, former UD QB trying to make NFL
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Thursday, March 06, 2008

These are exciting times for Kevin Hoyng.

These are trying times, too, because he's performing a delicate balancing act.

Hoyng, the former University of Dayton quarterback, is attempting to make an NFL roster as a free safety.

He'll take two big steps toward that goal when he participates in Bowling Green State University's Pro Day in front of NFL scouts on Tuesday, March 11, followed by a personal workout for the Cincinnati Bengals on Friday, March 14.

Of course, he'll need a couple of days off from his day job as a long-term substitute science teacher at Wantz Middle School in Miamisburg.

Hoyng turned down scholarship offers from NCAA Division I-A schools — they wanted him as a defensive back — so that he could play quarterback at Dayton, an NCAA Division I-AA non-scholarship football program. He holds Flyers' career records for passing yards (7,862), completions (530), attempts (1,013) and total offense (9,565).

The 6-foot, 192-pounder is considered too small to be an NFL quarterback. But with his 4.45 clocking in the 40-yard dash last year, he has the speed, size, skill and intelligence to be a free safety.

DetroitFlyer
March 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.oxfordpress.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/03/14/hoyngs_agent_scouts_were_impre.html

Kevin had a great workout on UD's campus for the Bengals and Giants scouts. It sounds like they want him to beef up a bit, from 194 lbs. to 205 lbs. without losing any speed.

Kevin has drawn interest from a good number of NFL teams. I think the big question now is whose camp will Kevin end up attending?

DetroitFlyer
April 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.journal-news.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/

It sounds like Kevin has a top notch agent!

II. KEVIN HOYNG’S FUTURE

The agent for former University of Dayton quarterback-turned-free safety Kevin Hoyng is fielding calls of interest from several NFL clubs.

In addition to the Cincinnati Bengals, agent Ron Todd has heard from the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Todd has shipped game and workout film of Hoyng to all 32 clubs, plus NFL Network and ESPN.

Hoyng, who starts another stint on Monday as a long-term substitute teacher — this time in the Northmont school system after previously working in Miamisburg — continues to push himself in workouts six days a week.

“Kevin has the eye of the tiger,” Todd said.

Wow, it would be beyond cool if Kevin ended up with the Pittsburgh Steelers! Being a native "Burgher" I would be thrilled! OK, I will be thrilled for Kevin regardless of what NFL team he ends up with, and it is safe to say that if Kevin ends up somewhere other than Pittsburgh, I just might have a new favorite NFL team!

smallcollegefbfan
April 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.oxfordpress.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/03/14/hoyngs_agent_scouts_were_impre.html

Kevin had a great workout on UD's campus for the Bengals and Giants scouts. It sounds like they want him to beef up a bit, from 194 lbs. to 205 lbs. without losing any speed.

Kevin has drawn interest from a good number of NFL teams. I think the big question now is whose camp will Kevin end up attending?

Remember too that many times players get drafted or signed by a team who never contacted them or worked them out. He could get a call from a team not listed in the article after the draft. That happens a lot.

andy7171
April 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Are there any Dayton Flyers in the NFL coaching ranks that might have a soft side for this kid?

danefan
April 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Are there any Dayton Flyers in the NFL coaching ranks that might have a soft side for this kid?

Jon Gruden played QB for the Flyers.

DetroitFlyer
April 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Jon Gruden played QB for the Flyers.

When Kevin was at the NFL combine, he was introduced to Jon Gruden. Jon was a back-up QB for the Flyers during the Division III days. From what I can tell, Jon was impressed with Kevin and willing to give him a shot.

The "rumor mill" says that the Bengals are the most interested in Kevin, but if the Cincy thing does not work out, Tampa Bay and Jon Gruden would give Kevin a shot.... Oddly enough, one of the teams reported to be very interested in Josh Johnson is Tampa Bay. It would be wild if Kevin and Josh ended up as teammates in Tampa Bay....

It seems as though as draft day draws closer, interest in Kevin is picking up. As it was pointed out earlier, he just might end up with a team that no one expects....

For us Dayton fans this is an exciting time. We have not had a kid play in the NFL since the 1970's! Few have even tried. Jesse Obert was the last when he tried out as a kicker for the Browns a few years back. He ended up kicking in the AFL for a season, and the lower indoor leagues for several seasons.

USDFAN_55
April 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
When Kevin was at the NFL combine, he was introduced to Jon Gruden. Jon was a back-up QB for the Flyers during the Division III days. From what I can tell, Jon was impressed with Kevin and willing to give him a shot.

The "rumor mill" says that the Bengals are the most interested in Kevin, but if the Cincy thing does not work out, Tampa Bay and Jon Gruden would give Kevin a shot.... Oddly enough, one of the teams reported to be very interested in Josh Johnson is Tampa Bay. It would be wild if Kevin and Josh ended up as teammates in Tampa Bay....

It seems as though as draft day draws closer, interest in Kevin is picking up. As it was pointed out earlier, he just might end up with a team that no one expects....

For us Dayton fans this is an exciting time. We have not had a kid play in the NFL since the 1970's! Few have even tried. Jesse Obert was the last when he tried out as a kicker for the Browns a few years back. He ended up kicking in the AFL for a season, and the lower indoor leagues for several seasons.

Always good news to hear another PFL player may have an opportuity to play at the next level.xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
April 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/04/26/ddn042608sparch.html

Tom Archdeacon: Agent helps UD star explore NFL dream
Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Tom Archdeacon

Staff Writer

Saturday, April 26, 2008

CLAYTON — The seventh-grade social studies classes at Northmont Middle School just ended their segment on the Renaissance Period with a big test Friday, April 25.

"Next we're doing Exploration," said teacher Kevin Hoyng. "We'll study explorers like Bartolomeu Dias, Vasco da Gama, Magellan, Christopher Columbus."

Former University of Dayton quarterback Kevin Hoyng (right) talks to his agent, Ron Todd, at Northmont Middle School, where Hoyng is now a teacher. Hoyng doesn't expect to be drafted this weekend, but he's hoping to sign as a free agent and make the NFL as a free safety.Click to enlarge
Latest headlines

But if those kids really want a lesson in exploration, they ought to check out their teacher and the new territory he should be visiting by the end of this weekend.

He's not attempting to make his way around the tip of Africa or discover the New World; he's trying to find passage to the NFL. After this weekend's draft — where he won't be picked — he'll likely be offered free-agent contracts by some pro teams.

While he's a classroom novice — he took over as a long-term sub three weeks ago — he's a prominent name in the University of Dayton football record books.

The MVP of the Pioneer Football League last season after quarterbacking the Flyers to an 11-1 record, Hoyng — who graduated with a teaching degree — is UD's all-time leader in almost every passing category.

But just as Magellan switched flags in mid-career — sailing first for Portugal, then Spain — Hoyng is jumping from quarterback to free safety in hopes of making the NFL.

It's not a common path, but its been done by noted NFL safeties John Lynch and Brian Russell.

And for this voyage, Hoyng has a navigator in Ron Todd — the massive former football lineman and current real-estate and mortgage broker — who has worked the past 14 years as an agent for often overlooked athletes.

From Central State's Hugh Douglas, the New York Jets' top pick in 1995, to former Ohio State quarterback Steve Bellisari, now with the Arena Football League's New Orleans VooDoo, Todd has negotiated over 50 NFL contracts, as well as several with the indoor leagues, the Canadian Football League, NFL Europe and pro baseball.

A few years back, USA Today dubbed Todd "The Agent of the Sleeper," and that's what Hoyng was after he left UD. Although he still harbored an NFL dream, he had no idea how to chase it.

"UD hasn't had a guy play pro football in about 30 years — they become high school coaches, doctors, engineers," said Todd. "But I've been intrigued by Kevin since he was playing at Coldwater High. So I called him up. We met, and the more time I spent with him, the more I believed he really has a chance."

Because Hoyng's just 6 feet and didn't play in a pro pipeline, Todd feared teams would bypass him and suggested the free safety switch.

And so for the past three months, Hoyng has been following his days in the classroom with regular workouts in the UD weight room and with Flyers defensive backs coach James Stanley.

Meanwhile the Sleeper Agent tried waking people up on a player he touts as "extremely athletic, a fast learner, tough and with no baggage." Todd took his uninvited charge to the NFL Scouting Combine, introducing him to everyone from Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis to Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, himself an old Flyers quarterback.

Todd arranged private workouts with the Bengals and New York Giants, and got Hoyng showcased at Bowling Green's Pro Day. Recently, NFLDraftScout.com rated him 46th of 134 draft-eligible free safeties.

Kevin does not expect to be drafted, but he is expecting to sign a free agent contract.... It sounds like he might have several options. I think his agent will be able to offer some good guidance as to which team he should sign with to improve his chances of making a roster.

I'm thinking that tomorrow after the draft is over could be vey interesting in the Hoyng household!

Dblue
April 26th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I've enjoyed the thread and hope Kevin catches on with an NFL team, but none of us can be sure. The only sure thing is we've unmasked DetroitFlyer, it's none other than Ron Todd — the massive former football lineman and current real-estate and mortgage broker. Good luck to you both.

DetroitFlyer
April 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I've enjoyed the thread and hope Kevin catches on with an NFL team, but none of us can be sure. The only sure thing is we've unmasked DetroitFlyer, it's none other than Ron Todd — the massive former football lineman and current real-estate and mortgage broker. Good luck to you both.

LOL!!!!! I saw Ron Todd's picture in the Dayton newspaper online this morning.... I can assure you that under no circumstances would we be mistaken for one another....
LOL Again.

Dblue
April 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Glad you liked it, I'm here to amuse.

DetroitFlyer
April 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/browns/2008/04/27/ddn042808sphoyng.html

Kevin was not offered a free agent contract, but he was invited to the Browns rookie mini camp, as was former Flyer TE Matt Champa!

Congratulations to both former Flyers as they pursue their NFL dream!

DetroitFlyer
May 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050108aaa.html

Great article about Kevin Hoyng and Matt Champa written by one of their teammates, Tyler Blue!

Franks Tanks
May 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
So any update here Flyer? Most teams have signed up the free agents they will bring to camp at this time.

andy7171
May 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm guessing no news is bad news. DF and the PFL crew would be all over this story if he signed. They'll always have Fordham.

DetroitFlyer
May 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Neither Kevin Hoyng or Matt Champa were offered contracts by the Browns. With 54 tryout players, I hear it was a bit hard to stand out.... Champa was reported to have turned some heads with his catches, but it must not have been enough.

USDFAN_55
May 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Any thoughts on AFL or CFL?

andy7171
May 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM

My teammate/roommate didn't get offered a contract from the Giants in the same situation at rookie mini camp after the draft. He caught on with a CFL team, they drop backups like crazy and snatch up all the NFL final cuts. Kinda sucks. He was with the Baltimore CFL team and got cut 3 weeks before the playoffs for some scrub. They won the grey cup that year.

DetroitFlyer
May 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Not that I have heard of.... Kevin is already employed as a school teacher and Matt is already employed with an insurance firm. The article in the Dayton Daily News made it sound like they gave it a shot, came up short, and were going to move on with their lives....

Still, Matt Champa was not even pursuing an NFL career when the Browns contacted him for a tryout. He did have an agent, but he was not "out there" like Kevin Hoyng.

I suppose it is possible that another opportunity could arise, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing yet....

813Jag
May 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
My teammate/roommate didn't get offered a contract from the Giants in the same situation at rookie mini camp after the draft. He caught on with a CFL team, they drop backups like crazy and snatch up all the NFL final cuts. Kinda sucks. He was with the Baltimore CFL team and got cut 3 weeks before the playoffs for some scrub. They won the grey cup that year.
I had a friend in the same situtaion, he played in Calgary.