PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine article ESPN

biggie
February 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
From Todd McShay:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3252856

"Former Kansas State wideout Yamon Figurs wowed scouts with a 4.30 40-yard dash at the 2007 combine. Here are the five players I expect to compete for fastest-in-class honors this year.

1. Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
2. Jack Williams, CB, Kent State
3. Michael Grant, DB, Arkansas State
4. Dexter Jackson, WR/RS, App. St.
5. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas "

"Five small-school prospects to know
1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
Rodgers-Cromartie proved at last month's Senior Bowl that he is more than capable of hanging with the big boys. A late-first round selection is not out of the question, but only if he works out as well as expected at the combine.

2. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
Deceptively athletic and blessed with the strongest arm in this year's class, Flacco should continue his ascent up NFL draft boards after the combine.

3. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
Langford is not a great athlete but is strong enough to take on blockers as a two-gap end in a 3-4 scheme. He mistakenly dropped about 25 pounds to improve his quickness for the East-West Shrine game, and scouts now want to know whether Langford can replenish that weight and throw up the standard 225-pound bench press at least 30 times.

4. Heath Benedict, OT, Newberry College
An inconsistent showing at the Senior Bowl made it clear that Benedict is still a work in progress. The Division II standout is expected to move inside to guard early in his NFL career so he can be better protected, but Benedict needs to rank among the elite in all the running and agility drills to show scouts and coaches that he's athletic enough to one day compete for a spot at tackle.

5. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego A former Jim Harbaugh protégé from the nonscholarship FCS ranks, Johnson will look to build on the momentum he generated as the MVP of the East-West Shrine game. With Oregon's Dennis Dixon still recovering from a season-ending knee injury, Johnson is expected to sweep the board with low QB times in the 40-yard dash, short-shuttle and three-cone drill. "

"Feeling left out
Approximately 10 percent of players selected in each draft are not invited to the combine. Here's a look at the 15 biggest combine snubs in 2008:

5. Corey Lynch Appalachian State S 5-11 3/4 204 4.61

12. Tim Hightower Richmond RB 6-0 216 4.60 "

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Not saying that he's more deserving of any of the "left outs" listed, but I really think Ricky Santos should be there.

Hoyadestroya85
February 20th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I can't believe Matt Sherry Didn't get an invite.. he's a big, athletic Tight End
oh well.. he'll sign a contract...

seantaylor
February 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Jayson Foster beats all of those in the 40 if he gets invited.

Hoyadestroya85
February 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I highly doubt it.. any quarterback with that kind of speed would be invited to the combine in an instant as an athlete..

Fresno St. Alum
February 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
coin flip was done today pick 3. Falcons, 4. Raiders, 5. Chiefs

KiddBrewer
February 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
jayson foster would not beat dexter jackson in the 40. and i know he is fast, but he wouldnt.

seantaylor
February 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
jayson foster would not beat dexter jackson in the 40. and i know he is fast, but he wouldnt.

Care to make a bet on that? We'll go by their 40 times in the combine and pro day. I don't think it will even be close.

AppGrad06
February 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Care to make a bet on that? We'll go by their 40 times in the combine and pro day. I don't think it will even be close.

Seriously? You do realize that Dexter Jackson holds the SoCon 100 yard dash record right?

seantaylor
February 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Seriously? You do realize that Dexter Jackson holds the SoCon 100 yard dash record right?

Well he ran a 4.37. Foster is timed at 4.31. We'll get an official read on it at Pro Day.

eaglewraith
February 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Foster would definitely blow Jackson up if they went at it on a track.

FUwolfpacker
February 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Well he ran a 4.37. Foster is timed at 4.31. We'll get an official read on it at Pro Day.

Not really b/c Foster's time will be hand-held. A 4.37 electronically timed 40 is blazing (which makes Chris Johnson's 4.24 electronically timed 40 all the more impressive). As you'll recall, Jackson ran a 4.27 hand held time. I imagine Foster's 4.31 was also his best hand-held time. Which would still mean Jackson is faster.

This arguing over who's faster b/w Foster and Jackson is really pointless though. I mean, both guys can fly, period.

Foster would definitely blow Jackson up if they went at it on a track.

You GSU fans are just trying to pick a fight aren't you? xrolleyesx . I mean really...to "blow up" Jackson on a track, Foster would have to win by at LEAST a full tenth of a second. Foster isn't running a 4.17. Maybe a 4.27, maybe. But then that wouldn't be "blowing up" Jackson.

JohnStOnge
February 24th, 2008, 07:07 PM
On the Jackson/Foster thing: It's quite possible for one guy to be faster in the 40 and another guy to be faster in the 100 or 200 meters.

KiddBrewer
February 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
dexter runs a 10.44 100, and a 21.01 200

well he did in the SoCon prelims last year.......2nd track meet ever.

ericsaid
February 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Jackson was timed at a 4.27, saw in another thread and an articlexrulesx

seantaylor
February 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Not really b/c Foster's time will be hand-held. A 4.37 electronically timed 40 is blazing (which makes Chris Johnson's 4.24 electronically timed 40 all the more impressive). As you'll recall, Jackson ran a 4.27 hand held time. I imagine Foster's 4.31 was also his best hand-held time. Which would still mean Jackson is faster.

This arguing over who's faster b/w Foster and Jackson is really pointless though. I mean, both guys can fly, period.

You GSU fans are just trying to pick a fight aren't you? xrolleyesx . I mean really...to "blow up" Jackson on a track, Foster would have to win by at LEAST a full tenth of a second. Foster isn't running a 4.17. Maybe a 4.27, maybe. But then that wouldn't be "blowing up" Jackson.

Maybe, but the athletes at the combine have a huge advantage over Pro Days. It is indoors on turf under absolutely optimum conditions. We'll see what the timer says, but I don't think there is any argument to who has more "football speed."

KiddBrewer
February 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
i dont think its any question that they both run faster on the field.....and if youve ever been clocked at 4.3 or less.....you really cant tell much of a difference...its fast.

BDKJMU
February 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I don't put as much stock in outdoor hand timed 40s as I do in indoor electronic. Reason being besides the obvious human inaccuracies, however great or slight they may be (can be several hundrenths to a half second off here, outdoor you also have headwind/tailwinds, which can also make a difference in either direction.

When I hear of someone's 40 time, the 1st 2 questions I ask are:
-Was in indoor or outdoor?
-Was it handheld or electronic timed?

If I hear outdoor handheld, I take it with a grain of salt.