PDA

View Full Version : What I-AA/FCS team has had the most NFL draft picks in a single year?

Grabholdofyosef
February 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I wasn't sure where to find some of these stats, but I was interested in knowing what is the record for draft picks from one I-AA/FCS team in a single year and what year had the most I-AA/FCS players drafted?

mcveyrl
February 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
This is a complete guess, but I'd say Hampton probably had the most in one year...which I would think would only be a couple, but probably still the most.

JohnStOnge
February 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The 1998 Northwestern State team had three players drafted in the Spring of 1999; two backs and a defensive end. Another member of the secondary, a junior in 1998, was drafted in 2000. Four Stephen F. Austin players, Larry Centers being the most recognizable name, were drafted in the Spring of 1990 off the team that narrowly lost at Georgia Southern in the 1989 I-AA national title game; but that was before the NFL draft was reduced to 7 rounds and only two of them were drafted in the first 7 rounds.

I haven't looked a lot yet but I did find this page at NFL.com where you can look at players historically drafted from each school:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history?abbr=U

JohnStOnge
February 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Jackson State had four drafted in 2000. Grambling had five drafted in 1991, but "only" three were taken in the first seven rounds.

poly51
February 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Cal Poly had 3 drafted and 5 sign free agent contracts in 1981 when they were still D-II.

Hoyadestroya85
February 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Delaware has a legit shot at more than 2 this year

grizband
February 19th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Jackson State had four drafted in 2000. Grambling had five drafted in 1991, but "only" three were taken in the first seven rounds.
Since the NFL switched to a 7 round draft in 1995, Jackson State's four players drafted in 2000 remains the high mark; North Carolina A&T (1997) and Northwestern State (1999) have had three players drafted in one season.

Prior to 1995, FCS teams have many more players drafted each year when the draft consisted of 12 rounds. Between 1979 (the first draft after the creation of FCS football) and 1994, four teams had 5 players drafted: South Carolina State (1981), Tennesse State (1983), Grambling State (1987 and 1991).

bluehenbillk
February 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Delaware has a legit shot at more than 2 this year

I don't think we do. Flacco may be a 1st day pick & hopefully Omar goes 6th or 7th round, but who else are you counting, Bryne?

Hoyadestroya85
February 19th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah.. you guys had one hell of a talented team this year...
Omar Cuff is an example of the FCS player who earned his due.. I have a lot of respect for him... even if he did break Brian Westbrook's Touchdown record this year..

Touchdown Yosef
February 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah.. you guys had one hell of a talented team this year...
Omar Cuff is an example of the FCS player who earned his due.. I have a lot of respect for him... even if he did break Brian Westbrook's Touchdown record this year..

If I'm not mistaken he broke Kevin Richardson's TD record this year. Kevin Broke Westbrook's.

blueballs
February 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken he broke Kevin Richardson's TD record this year. Kevin Broke Westbrook's.

...and none of them surpassed Adrian Peterson's 1999 or career totals.

Grabholdofyosef
February 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM
App could have three this year with brown, jackson and lynch but i think thats it. I havent seen anywhere that has mentioned k rich being drafted.

BDKJMU
February 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Most JMU ever had was 2 in 1997: Macey Brooks WR in the 4th round, Chicago, and Ed Perry, tightend, in the 7th round, Miami. That season, (96') finished 7-4 and didn't make the playoffs after having made them the 2 prior seasons.

This is a good website. Check out every draft since 1936 alphabetically, by school, by year, by team, and by position.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history

Grabholdofyosef
March 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Most JMU ever had was 2 in 1997: Macey Brooks WR in the 4th round, Chicago, and Ed Perry, tightend, in the 7th round, Miami. That season, (96') finished 7-4 and didn't make the playoffs after having made them the 2 prior seasons.

This is a good website. Check out every draft since 1936 alphabetically, by school, by year, by team, and by position.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history
Thanks for the link. It was interesting looking back. I knew ASU punter Alexander was drafted in the early 90s but i didnt realize it was in the 3rd round. That's high for punter!!

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Kevin may be a mini-Dunn.

Rekdiver
March 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
funny seeing harold alexander out there especially when Mark Royals signed as a free agent and played more than 10 years with steelers bucs and......

Of the App players drafted most didnt last long. Hackett, Graham, Stevens, Coakley and of course Larry Hand did have good careers.

I wonder which 1-AA school has had the most successful crop of walk-ons who made it?