PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Add Coach Of 1998 I-AA National Champions To Staff

CSN Log
January 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Eagles Add Coach Of 1998 I-AA National Champions To Stff
More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=eagles-add-coach-of-1998-i-aa-national-c&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Congrats to Whipple!

saint0917
January 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
The Eagles added another offensive mind to their coaching staff Monday, naming Mark Whipple as offensive assistant coach.

"I've kind of followed Mark's career," said head coach Andy Reid. "He started off at New Haven, went to Brown University where he kind of brought football back to Brown and then went to the University of Massachusetts and goes in there and wins a National Championship. Bill Cowher (former head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers) and I talked about him last year when I thought maybe I would lose Pat (Shurmur) about maybe coming in and working with the quarterbacks and Bill told me that, when he came back (to the NFL to be a head coach), that would be the first guy that he would hire.

"I said, 'Wow, I've got to really look at this guy.' "

A veteran of 26 seasons as a coach on both the collegiate and professional levels, Whipple spent his last three (2004-06) as the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks coach. In that capacity he was instrumental in the development of 2004 first-round draft pick Ben Roethlisberger, who became the Steelers starter as a rookie after an injury to Tommy Maddox. That season, he became the first quarterback in league history to finish a regular season undefeated with a 13-0 record in games he started. With Whipple's guidance, Roethlisberger became the youngest starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl the following year, as the the Steelers defeated the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.

Whipple Added To Offensive Coaching Staff (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15036)

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM
That's not the way this was supposed to go!!!!xnonono2x xnonono2x

Coach Whipple was supposed to be named head coach at some FBS school and then hire Coach Brown as his DC.

This did not work out at all.:(

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
That's not the way this was supposed to go!!!!xnonono2x xnonono2x

Coach Whipple was supposed to be named head coach at some FBS school and then hire Coach Brown as his DC.
This did not work out at all.:(

How about an FCS school? like... um... URI maybe. xnonono2x

I will never forget when he DID apply at URI and our A.D. (at the time) turned him down. THANKS Ron Petro! xmadx

Oh well, I think I'll be happy with Rizzi and best wishes to Mark Whipple; tremendous coach.

GannonFan
January 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I've never been a Umass fan, but Whipple's always been a very good coach (I loved watching those New Haven teams). He took the step into the deep water when he went to Pittsburgh as the QB coach but this could set him up to potentially land a coordinator gig in the NFL if the Eagles move that way. Certainly a good move for him.

saint0917
January 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I've never been a Umass fan, but Whipple's always been a very good coach (I loved watching those New Haven teams). He took the step into the deep water when he went to Pittsburgh as the QB coach but this could set him up to potentially land a coordinator gig in the NFL if the Eagles move that way. Certainly a good move for him.

NOOOO Really ;)

Marcus Garvey
January 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think that when Arizona fires Mike Stoops next year for a 3rd straight season of underachieving, they should talk to Whipple. While at UMass, he always seemed to have recruiting contacts in Arizona.

Go...gate
January 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hope the Iggles don't play any games in the snow.... xsmiley_wix

Umass74
January 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think that when Arizona fires Mike Stoops next year for a 3rd straight season of underachieving, they should talk to Whipple. While at UMass, he always seemed to have recruiting contacts in Arizona.

When Whipple was at UMass, he said several times he considered Arizona his home. He coached with George Allen with the Arizona Wranglers in the USFL.

He would be a killer Pac10 coach. Arizona would be VERY happy with the results.

Marcus Garvey
January 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
When Whipple was at UMass, he said several times he considered Arizona his home. He coached with George Allen with the Arizona Wranglers in the USFL.

He would be a killer Pac10 coach. Arizona would be VERY happy with the results.

After the debacle that was John Mackovic, the UofA had a lot of time to look for a new coach, since Macks was fired in Oct. I sent an email to a columnist, Greg Hansen, at the Arizona Daily Star with a link to Whipple's bio on the Steeler's page and a brief summary of his career as a head coach. I also mentioned his Arizona connection and how he got Jeff Krohn (was that his name?) to transfer from ASU to UMass.

Hansen agreed that Whipple looked like a great candidate. But he said that without some booster or administrator to "nominate" him for the process, he wasn't likely to even get a look. He then mentioned that Livengood (Arizona's A.D.) would probably hire a person with a "name," so as to make a splash. That was a veiled reference to Mike Stoops, who was clearly going to be named head coach about 2 weeks before it became official.

Umass74
January 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
After the debacle that was John Mackovic, the UofA had a lot of time to look for a new coach, since Macks was fired in Oct. I sent an email to a columnist, Greg Hansen, at the Arizona Daily Star with a link to Whipple's bio on the Steeler's page and a brief summary of his career as a head coach. I also mentioned his Arizona connection and how he got Jeff Krohn (was that his name?) to transfer from ASU to UMass.

Hansen agreed that Whipple looked like a great candidate. But he said that without some booster or administrator to "nominate" him for the process, he wasn't likely to even get a look. He then mentioned that Livengood (Arizona's A.D.) would probably hire a person with a "name," so as to make a splash. That was a veiled reference to Mike Stoops, who was clearly going to be named head coach about 2 weeks before it became official.

Man, it amazes me that people making big salaries are so clueless.

Jeff Krohn led the PAC10 in passing as a FRESHMAN. Then the new Arizona State coach comes in and said they wanted to emphasize the running game. xrotatehx

After they fire Stoops, you should try to contact their booster group. Maybe they'll give you a finders fee for recommending Whipple. :)

With the talent available to him in the PAC10, his offense would give anybody fits.