Seahawks Fan
January 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
booooooo

West Georgia AND Miles? xsmhx

And then Ole Miss. xrotatehx

89Hen
January 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
And then Ole Miss. xrotatehx
Ole Miss is fine. One of West Georgia or Miles is fine. But to have ZERO I-AA OOC games is inexcusable. xsmhx

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Agreed - rotten schedule. No reason for two DII teams to be on it, and like 89 said, zero OOC games against FCS competition. And it was a 12 game year as well so just sitting on the 11 with the schedule like that is flat out bad. Big thumbs down for that schedule. xnonox xnonono2x xrulesx

bamamountaineer1013
January 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I will be there on Oct. 11th

Saint3333
January 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM
What would Samford say if ASU offered to buy the game and move it to Boone? What would it take? Florida St. bought out Duke a couple times.

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
What would Samford say if ASU offered to buy the game and move it to Boone? What would it take? Florida St. bought out Duke a couple times.

Gee, wouldn't want people to think the SoCon was top heavy, now do you??? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Jiggs
January 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Why wouldn't you offer to buy out someone closer, say, WCU?

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Aug.28 West Georgia
Sept.6 Miles College
Sept.13 at Ole Miss
Sept.27 at Elon
Oct.4 at Western Carolina
Oct.11 Appalachian State
Oct.25 The Citadel
Nov.1 Furman
Nov.8 at Georgia Southern
Nov.15 Wofford
Nov.22 at Tennessee Chattanooga

Trial by fire. Good luck guys.

UTC last game of the season....trying to start a rivalry?

Jiggs
January 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM

From the SU website:

On Nov. 22, Samford will conclude the 2008 schedule by renewing an old rivalry and playing at Chattanooga. The Mocs are Samford's third most played opponent, as the team's will be meeting for the 34th time.

GeauxLions94
January 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
What? No Jax State on the sked?

Millwoch
January 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Aug.28 West Georgia
Sept.6 Miles College
Sept.13 at Ole Miss
Sept.27 at Elon
Oct.4 at Western Carolina
Oct.11 Appalachian State
Oct.25 The Citadel
Nov.1 Furman
Nov.8 at Georgia Southern
Nov.15 Wofford
Nov.22 at Tennessee Chattanooga

That is one brutal stretch from Ole Miss to Chatty. I see 9 straight losses. Go enjoy the Grove at Ole Miss. (a great time was had there when The Citadel played 3 years ago.)

Millwoch
January 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM

The Socon would not allow that to happen!?!

89Hen
January 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Why's that? FSU also bought out Maryland one year... 1999ish. Actually worked out well for UM as that was about the time they got their financials in order and were able to make serious improvements to their department. I remember at the time chastizing them for it, but looking back, it was a good move. xeyebrowx

The Gadfly
January 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
ACC = Basketball = zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz

putter
January 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I see Samford landed a QB from Tennessee that had committed to Montana.

fjblair
January 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
YEAH Samford!!! So glad to see them in the SoCon. xconfusedx

SoCon has become ridiculous.

walliver
January 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Samford has the best SoCon team west of Chattanooga. Give them a few years and they may have the best SoCon team west of Greenville.

appstate38
January 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Man, Samford could be 0 for Oct. and Nov.

Saint3333
January 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Why wouldn't you offer to buy out someone closer, say, WCU?

WCU would never go for that: 1) they are a rival & 2) more importantly they draw well for the ASU games >14K.

How much are Samford tickets, $20 bucks? Let's say Samford sells 6,000 tickets at $20 a piece, that's $120K. What if ASU offered them $120K to play the game in Boone in 2008 and a guarantee of $100K to play the already 2009 scheduled game in Boone. That's 100K more than Samford would earn hosting a game. Fiscally it makes sense.

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
App State fans, dont TRY to be more annoying, k?

And the SoCon isn't getting ridiculous. Last time I checked the conference has had a team in the finals most of this century.

Saint3333
January 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
It's a legit question, it's been done before at major FBS conferences, why not here. You don't think an additional 100K+ would help Samford recruit better players the first couple years in the SoCon?

proasu89
January 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It's a legit question, it's been done before at major FBS conferences, why not here. You don't think an additional 100K+ would help Samford recruit better players the first couple years in the SoCon?

When FSU first came into the ACC, Wake took the money and did a 1 home 3 away deal for the first 4 years.

Appstate29
January 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
App State fans, dont TRY to be more annoying, k?

And the SoCon isn't getting ridiculous. Last time I checked the conference has had a team in the finals most of this century.

problem is, its been one of two teams.

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
So App is so set financially they can shell out 100k for Samford to play them?

After winning three national championships without playing one playoff game on the road, it's about time you guys left your little nook in the hills more often. Long road trips will do ya good.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ole Miss is fine. One of West Georgia or Miles is fine. But to have ZERO I-AA OOC games is inexcusable. xsmhxAnd NO out of conference FCS games either! :p

AppStsGr8
January 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to going to Birmingham for the Samford game.

The SoCon race should be a dandy this year, and, though Samford almost certainly won't be in the race for the conference crown, they shouldn't be totally discarded. I seem to recall Elon being chalked up as an easy win not so long ago; look at Elon now. After all, any given Saturday ..........

JaxSinfonian
January 29th, 2008, 07:28 AM
What? No Jax State on the sked?

Samford's decided they'd rather play D-II teams than continue to get beat by their friends in Jacksonville. I guess that way, rather than having to play a home-and-home, they can have all 12 of their fans in Homewood for their out-of-conference games.

Saint3333
January 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM
So App is so set financially they can shell out 100k for Samford to play them?

After winning three national championships without playing one playoff game on the road, it's about time you guys left your little nook in the hills more often. Long road trips will do ya good.

No there are not financially "set". However if they're averaging 20,000 paying customers at $25 a piece that's $500K. So yes they could afford to pay a team $100K to play the game in Boone. They don't get any $$$ by playing at Samford, only have travel expenses. Both schools would benefit financially.

ASU earned those home playoff games. Ranked #2, #1, & #5 going into the playoffs in 05, 06, & 07 respectively.

Is ASU the only SoCon team playing Samford and GSU (the two longest trips in conference) on the road in back to back weeks? Seems like someone screwed up the scheduling, thanks SoConxnonono2x.

Eyes of Old Main
January 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM

They have in the past. Marshall bought home games from Western Carolina in the early 90's.

Eyes of Old Main
January 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
And NO out of conference FCS games either! :p

They want to at least win a couple games...

furman94
January 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
No there are not financially "set". However if they're averaging 20,000 paying customers at $25 a piece that's $500K. So yes they could afford to pay a team $100K to play the game in Boone. They don't get any $$$ by playing at Samford, only have travel expenses. Both schools would benefit financially.

ASU earned those home playoff games. Ranked #2, #1, & #5 going into the playoffs in 05, 06, & 07 respectively.

Is ASU the only SoCon team playing Samford and GSU (the two longest trips in conference) on the road in back to back weeks? Seems like someone screwed up the scheduling, thanks SoConxnonono2x.

Uh, FU has The VPI Turkeys and Colgate back to back (Yes, they are road games) I totally agree with PaladinFan; App needs to get knocked off their high standing hill!

Saint3333
January 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
xreadx Two longest road games in conference. ASU really can't control their conference schedule, so again thanks SoCon.

Who's on a high hill (it's a mountain btw)... it's not about which team is better, this is strictly a dollars and cents (sense) issue people...

Sorry is you see it otherwise.

furman94
January 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I undertand where you're coming from Saint. All I was saying is that yall need to get out (of the mountain) more.

PaladinFan
January 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM
xreadx Two longest road games in conference. ASU really can't control their conference schedule, so again thanks SoCon.

Who's on a high hill (it's a mountain btw)... it's not about which team is better, this is strictly a dollars and cents (sense) issue people...

Sorry is you see it otherwise.

I think the point is no one wants to hear complaining about road trips from the team that has played more home games than any other school in the country the last three years.

And Furman94 is right, FU will be on the road to Blacksburg and Colgate back to back.

Saint3333
January 31st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Guys read it again, I'm talking about CONFERENCE road games, the ones that the SoCon schedules.

ASU has played just as many road games as Furman the past three years, in 2005 we only had 4 regular season games and 7 road games.

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Guys read it again, I'm talking about CONFERENCE road games, the ones that the SoCon schedules.

ASU has played just as many road games as Furman the past three years, in 2005 we only had 4 regular season games and 7 road games.

Come again? As I recall we had two road playoff games in 2005. One road game was against a team we'd already beaten. If you are counting regular season, yes, same amount. I'm talking total home games in a season.

You'll get those two games at home back to back next year. Right now, saying that you will pay Samford to play you in Boone just smacks of arrogance, like the conference needs to adjust to what is convenient to App State. Ridiculous.

neersnbeers
January 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Come again? As I recall we had two road playoff games in 2005. One road game was against a team we'd already beaten. If you are counting regular season, yes, same amount. I'm talking total home games in a season.

Post season games are a priveledge, not a right.

ERASU2113
January 31st, 2008, 03:12 PM
All I want to say is...the second half of the schedule is BRUTAL. Have fun with that Samford.

fuEMO
January 31st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Furman just released their schedule:

2008 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Aug. 30 MARS HILL
Sept. 6 @ Virginia Tech
Sept. 13 @ Colgate
Sept. 20 DELAWARE
Sept. 27 CHATTANOOGA
Oct. 4 @ Elon
Oct. 11 WESTERN CAROLINA
Oct. 18 THE CITADEL
Oct. 25 @ Appalachian State
Nov. 1 @ Samford
Nov. 15 GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Nov. 22 @ Wofford

fjblair
January 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
I think the point is no one wants to hear complaining about road trips from the team that has played more home games than any other school in the country the last three years.

He's talking about regular season conference games. Get over the playoff thing. We were ranked, we won. It is not a conspiracy.

fjblair
January 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Right now, saying that you will pay Samford to play you in Boone just smacks of arrogance, like the conference needs to adjust to what is convenient to App State. Ridiculous.

Yeah you got us figured out now. Brilliant.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
January 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM

You'll get those two games at home back to back next year. Right now, saying that you will pay Samford to play you in Boone just smacks of arrogance, like the conference needs to adjust to what is convenient to App State. Ridiculous.

Someone needs to read before typing. I didn't mention playoff gamesxreadx.

Paying Samford for a home game isn't a SoCon issue, it would strictly be a Samford decision. This is not smack, you may view it that way due to your opinion of ASU, that's just your opinion. Fact is I'm looking at this strictly as a business proposition. Both ASU and Samford make money in my scenario.xpeacex

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM

Paying Samford for a home game isn't a SoCon issue, it would strictly be a Samford decision. This is not smack, you may view it that way due to your opinion of ASU, that's just your opinion. Fact is I'm looking at this strictly as a business proposition. Both ASU and Samford make money in my scenario.xpeacex

Didn't say it was smack. Said it was arrogant.

Saint3333
January 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
A Furman fan calling an ASU fan arrogant.xdizzyx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Eyes of Old Main
January 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'll be there on November 15th. Sad thing is, my wife's cousin is a junior at Samford and in three football seasons, is YET to attend a game. She hasn't been to a basketball game either. Pathetic...

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'll be there on November 15th. Sad thing is, my wife's cousin is a junior at Samford and in three football seasons, is YET to attend a game. She hasn't been to a basketball game either. Pathetic...

no real good argument there, Stadium is right in the middle of campus

OL FU
February 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Furman just released their schedule:

2008 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Aug. 30 MARS HILL
Sept. 6 @ Virginia Tech
Sept. 13 @ Colgate
Sept. 20 DELAWARE
Sept. 27 CHATTANOOGA
Oct. 4 @ Elon
Oct. 11 WESTERN CAROLINA
Oct. 18 THE CITADEL
Oct. 25 @ Appalachian State
Nov. 1 @ Samford
Nov. 15 GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Nov. 22 @ Wofford

I see we added the 12th game.

If you didn't post a new thread, I will steal this and post awayxsmiley_wix

saint0917
February 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
Pretty good schedule, but your OOC needs a little work. Alabama A&M or Alabama St. would have been much better.

Aug.28 West Georgia xeyebrowx
Sept.6 Miles College xeyebrowx

Cocky
February 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM

Why would Samford sale a home game when Samford has more money than App State? It seems to me it would be the other way around. Samford athletics isn't funded by attendance but other sources (donations and endowments).

OL FU
February 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
Why would Samford sale a home game when Samford has more money than App State? It seems to me it would be the other way around. Samford athletics isn't funded by attendance but other sources (donations and endowments).

I am not sure why it is even being discussed. If Samford sold a conference home game the first year they entered the conference, then all I can say is xnutsx xrotatehx

phillyAPP
February 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
I am not sure why it is even being discussed. If Samford sold a conference home game the first year they entered the conference, then all I can say is xnutsx xrotatehx

I agree xnutsx . App will probibly bring 6k to birmingham anyway.

We should enjoy the ride. Both ways.

thirdgendin
February 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM

6,000?!?!???!?!?! You don't bring 6,000 fans to Greenville. xrulesx

Cocky
February 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM

We probably don't take that many to Samford. I would guess we are in the 4,000 -5,000 range. If you carry 6,000 get there early as there will be nowhere to sit for some.

Eyes of Old Main
February 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
no real good argument there, Stadium is right in the middle of campus

The only argument is about what you should use to beat her with for missing out on part of her college experience.

PaladinFan
February 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
6,000?!?!???!?!?! You don't bring 6,000 fans to Greenville. xrulesx

Not only do they not bring 6k to Greenville, they barely bring 1k. There were probably as many Elon fans against us this year. Give me a break...
xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
February 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
1K ASU fans in Greenville, take off those purple colored glasses. I also agree there weren't anywhere near 6K ASU fans at Furman, a realistic estimate would be 2,500 to 3,000.

I doubt ASU will bring 1K fans to Samford though, that's an 8 hour drive to play IMO the 10th most appealing game on ASU's schedule.

james_lawfirm
February 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ole Miss is fine. One of West Georgia or Miles is fine. But to have ZERO I-AA OOC games is inexcusable. xsmhx

Why? It's not like anyone expects Samford to get an at-large bid. Even with 2 D-2 teams, all they would have to do to qualify is run the SoCon table.

There are few things that all AGS posters will agree on. That Samford will NOT have 7 SoCon wins is probably one of them.

thirdgendin
February 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM
1K ASU fans in Greenville, take off those purple colored glasses. I also agree there weren't anywhere near 6K ASU fans at Furman, a realistic estimate would be 2,500 to 3,000.

I doubt ASU will bring 1K fans to Samford though, that's an 8 hour drive to play IMO the 10th most appealing game on ASU's schedule.

I think that's a fair estimate - I would've said 2,000-2,500 this season. For reference, the general admission side of the stadium where the ASU fans sit holds 5,500.

ERASU2113
February 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
I think that's a fair estimate - I would've said 2,000-2,500 this season. For reference, the general admission side of the stadium where the ASU fans sit holds 5,500.

For now, I think it increases with the expansion of KBS.

6K to Alabama for a midseason game? Not going to happen. Lucky to get half of that at a Furman or GSU game. 8 hours for a most likely win? Most ASU fans will just tune into ASN and listen to David Jackson give the play-by-play.

ButlerGSU
February 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
For now, I think it increases with the expansion of KBS.

6K to Alabama for a midseason game? Not going to happen. Lucky to get half of that at a Furman or GSU game. 8 hours for a most likely win? Most ASU fans will just tune into ASN and listen to David Jackson give the play-by-play.

I agree with you there. No SoCon team this season will travel more than 1,000 to Samford.

furman94
February 2nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
I know I won't!

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
CSN Log

gophoenix
February 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Yes, the SoCon just screwed you guys and only you guys because the SoCon is always out to get App.... GSU had to come to Elon and then App in consecutive weekends this year. And Elon has to play at The Citadel two years in a row.

The SoCon is spreading the screwing around.

Millwoch
February 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Yes, the SoCon just screwed you guys and only you guys because the SoCon is always out to get App.... GSU had to come to Elon and then App in consecutive weekends this year. And Elon has to play at The Citadel two years in a row.

The SoCon is spreading the screwing around.

Every established team in the Socon(so all except Samford) to my knowledge will play one team on the road twice in a 2 year span and one at home twice in a two year span. I know The Citadel plays Elon at home twice and WCU on the road twice. From the FU schedule they travel to Elon twice. Not sure who has to go to Boone twice in a row.

By the way, you wanna be Bulldogs in Ala. I will be there next year and expect to win. Don't be surprised if 1000 El Cid fans are there, as we have lots of alums in Atlanta(I am sure all the socon schools do too) That is only a short drive away. Last time I went to Elon we had more fans than they did(I do not think it was 5000, but our alumni base it not quite what Appy is). Appy and The Citadel will both have over 1000 there. Most GSU fans have never left the state to see a game, and will not start with that one. I am not sure there are 1000 Woffy alums that know they play in the Socon.

Jiggs
February 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Every established team in the Socon(so all except Samford) to my knowledge will play one team on the road twice in a 2 year span and one at home twice in a two year span. I know The Citadel plays Elon at home twice and WCU on the road twice. From the FU schedule they travel to Elon twice. Not sure who has to go to Boone twice in a row.

By the way, you wanna be Bulldogs in Ala. I will be there next year and expect to win. Don't be surprised if 1000 El Cid fans are there, as we have lots of alums in Atlanta(I am sure all the socon schools do too) That is only a short drive away. Last time I went to Elon we had more fans than they did(I do not think it was 5000, but our alumni base it not quite what Appy is). Appy and The Citadel will both have over 1000 there. Most GSU fans have never left the state to see a game, and will not start with that one. I am not sure there are 1000 Woffy alums that know they play in the Socon.

Come on over! We've got you scheduled for homecoming!xthumbsupx

seantaylor
February 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Not sure what you are smoking, but GSU travels better than any team in the Socon. Much better than the Chitadel, who is in the bottom third of the league in traveling.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Not sure what you are smoking, but GSU travels better than any team in the Socon. Much better than the Chitadel, who is in the bottom third of the league in traveling.

I disagree with just about everything you say, Sean, but you're right. No one travels better in the conference than GSU. It's really not even close.

gophoenix
February 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM

When is Furman traveling to Elon twice? We were at Furman this season and we have Furman home next season. I might be wrong, but I don't see a home team on our schedule this year that was a home game last year.

I love how every opposing fan claims to have more fans than we do at every game. It is such a load of exaggerated garbage. But then, we did have more fans in Charleston this year than you guys did. But then, I am exaggerating too.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
When is Furman traveling to Elon twice? We were at Furman this season and we have Furman home next season. I might be wrong, but I don't see a home team on our schedule this year that was a home game last year.

I love how every opposing fan claims to have more fans than we do at every game. It is such a load of exaggerated garbage. But then, we did have more fans in Charleston this year than you guys did. But then, I am exaggerating too.

My guess is with the addition of Samford the schedule might take a little jolt? Right now each team has 7 SoCon games with usually 4-3 split road/home schedule. Now with 8 games per team I would expect they would line it up 4-4 meaning they'd probably have to refresh who plays who where.

thirdgendin
February 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
My guess is with the addition of Samford the schedule might take a little jolt? Right now each team has 7 SoCon games with usually 4-3 split road/home schedule. Now with 8 games per team I would expect they would line it up 4-4 meaning they'd probably have to refresh who plays who where.

Samford should be able to fit into the slot vacated by ETSU without adjusting anyone's schedule.

Like gophoenix said, Furman and Elon are alternating like normal. If you know of any teams playing two years in a row in the same location, let us know. I haven't heard of any.

hawkeye
February 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
3-0 on the start. Thats right. Ole who? Ole Miss. May not beat the rebs but should be a close game. Go Bulldogs!!!

ButlerGSU
February 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I disagree with just about everything you say, Sean, but you're right. No one travels better in the conference than GSU. It's really not even close.

I was just about to say, I personally traveled to App, Wofford, and Coastal during 2007 and at every game we had the visitor stands packed. I believe the fans on this board from these schools will back me up.

I have not been up to Furman since 2004 but that game was also well traveled.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
One thing you can say about the schedule...while it's hard to gauge how well certain teams will do over time, you might say there is an advantage to being able to host Furman, Wofford, and App. State in a year. None of "the big 3" get to host both of the others on any given year. Of course, that does mean Samford has to play at those places on odd-numbered years.

Interesting...I never knew that.

3-0 on the start. Thats right. Ole who? Ole Miss. May not beat the rebs but should be a close game. Go Bulldogs!!!

I would like to see you guys beat them, but I'm not so sure It'll be within 17 points.