PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Senior Bowl?

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Any comments?

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Rodgers-Cromartie getting props

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Reinhart getting lots of reps and his team is running well

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Flacco played one run-dominated series and threw an INT in the other

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Kendall Langford stuffs a fourth down try

Peems
January 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It's on the NFL network correct?

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, 212 on directv, :25 left and the south is inside the 20 trying to win

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Talking Heads called Tennessee State D-II! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Exiting finish because the North made a bad decision to go for it on 4th down instead of going for the FG which would have made it a two score game. The south just tied the game as the clock ran out, the PAT can win it.

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, they have been messing up the Divisions a bunch.

Good ending though.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
South wins 17-16.

Cromartie (SP??) from Tenn State made some great plays and had a pick.

I think they had Flacco handing off a lot because they wanted to see him under center so they could evaluate his footwork and how he handed off.

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie of Tennessee State is named Defensive MVP!

Some FBS guy won the offensive MVP.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Good thing this was an all star game because the North Head Coach would otherwise have been skewered for making that decision. Loved his answer though, "I'll never listen to another Notre Dame guy"!! Apparently, the center from Notre Dame lobbied to go for saying his line would get the yard for the first down.

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Good thing this was an all star game because the North Head Coach would have been skewered for making that decision. Loved his answer though, "I'll never listen to another Notre Dame guy"!! Apparently, the center from Notre Dame lobbied to go for saying his line would get the yard for the first down.The center and Reinhart made great blocks but the FBS end got blown away by Hampton's Kendall Langford and Langford made the stop.

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
BTW, Rodgers-Cromartie's pick was off of some FBS guy.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Can someone explain that call late in the first half when the North apparent TD catch was called an incompletion? The guy had control, two or three feet down before going out of bounds. Once OB when he fell he apparently bobbled the ball, but it seemed like he had possession long enough for the TD catch. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
For future reference, anybody who has Comcast Cable can get the NFL Network in their Sports Package which also includes:

CSTV
Fox College Sports Atlantic, Central and Pacific
NBATV

The Fox troika usually have quite a few FCS games on and usually replay them during the week and the off season. I think it was only an extra $5 for me.

JohnStOnge
January 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Kendall Langford stuffs a fourth down try

That may have been the biggest play of the game.

Peems
January 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie of Tennessee State is named Defensive MVP!

Some FBS guy won the offensive MVP.

Is he related to Antonio?

spelunker64
January 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
What! SE, no love for our punter???

:D

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
What! SE, no love for our punter???

:DI didn't see a punter kick in the game or even mentioned. Who is "our punter" anyway? Drago? I voted him for All-America.

spelunker64
January 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I didn't see a punter kick in the game or even mentioned.

xconfusedx

They killed his name a couple times, and gave him some credit when he broke the Senior Bowl record with his 69 yard punt...

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
xconfusedxI tuned in late in the game.

spelunker64
January 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM
First time I watched a game hoping they would go 3 and out...

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
BTW, Rodgers-Cromartie's pick was off of some FBS guy.This says it was off Flacco. http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=723660 Who knows? xrolleyesx

HighRyder08
January 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Did Dexter Jackson get any playing time at WR?

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 11:59 PM
This says it was off Flacco. http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=723660 Who knows? xrolleyesxIt says he won the "Under Armour New Prototype Award."

appst97
January 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Did Dexter Jackson get any playing time at WR?

He ruturned a couple of punts and had several reps at WR, but I don't think he was ever looked at, much less thrown to.

NDSUFREAK
January 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx indeed

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Bowl Stats

South 0 7 0 10-17
North 7 2 0 7-16

First Quarter
North-Hawkins 36 pass from Henne (Serna kick), 12:00.

Second Quarter
South-Cottam 6 pass from Woodson (Coutu kick), 8:21.
North-Ellis safety, 3:09.

Fourth Quarter
North-Rucker 4 pass from Henne (Serna kick), 14:32.
South-FG Coutu 20, 9:27.
South-Caldwell 2 run (Coutu kick), :00.

A-40,646.

---
South North
First downs 21 17
Rushes-yards 37-143 33-125
Passing 215 158
Comp-Att-Int 18-33-1 13-28-2
Return Yards 66 122
Punts-Avg. 2-45.0 3-51.3
Fumbles-Lost 3-2 2-1
Penalties-Yards 3-25 6-61
Time of Possession 32:02 27:58
---

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING-South, Forte 8-59, Hillis 9-44, Choice 7-29, Little 3-14, Caldwell 2-14, Hester 1-5, Ainge 1-0, Brennan 3-(minus 6), Woodson 3-(minus 16). North, Washington 5-38, Bernard 8-35, Forsett 9-27, Savage 7-22, Booty 2-2, Hawkins 1-1, Henne 1-0.

PASSING-South, Ainge 13-21-0-159, Woodson 3-6-0-27, Brennan 2-6-1-29. North, Booty 6-12-1-72, Henne 5-9-0-64, Flacco 2-7-1-22.

RECEIVING-South, Forte 4-38, Avery 3-54, Douglas 3-35, Hall 2-20, Tamme 2-12, Choice 1-23, Caldwell 1-18, Hester 1-9, Cottam 1-6. North, Hawkins 3-63, Rucker 3-36, Bowman 2-22, Nelson 1-12, Smith 1-9, Crosslin 1-8, Washington 1-5, Bryant 1-3.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_SENIOR_BOWL_STATS_ALOL-?SITE=ALMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

GOTOREROS
January 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
So did Flacco really help his cause? I assume the practices went well and that is what they focused on....

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
So did Flacco really help his cause? I assume the practices went well and that is what they focused on....If by "his" you mean Rodgers-Cromartie, yes. R-C's vertical on that interception was beautiful. I read that scouts just wanted to see Flacco under center and his footwork so that is what he showed them.

spelunker64
January 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
So did Flacco really help his cause? I assume the practices went well and that is what they focused on....

If by "his" you mean Rodgers-Cromartie, yes. R-C's vertical on that interception was beautiful. I read that scouts just wanted to see Flacco under center and his footwork so that is what he showed them.

I think by his you meant Flacco. The NFL Network guys sure talked him up. Mayock (expert???xrolleyesx ) moved him up his boards after this week. His practices went well and they loved his arm. Not a real strong QB class this year so i say he's got mid-round expectations.

Hoyadestroya85
January 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I was more impressed with Santos in the Hula bowl.. he looked awesome

GannonFan
January 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
If you go by the reports, Flacco immensely helped his cause and from most indications he was the player who was most impressive at the Senior Bowl. So yes, I think he did okay. He'll probably go in the second round and depending on the team he'll possible get a chance to earn a starting job next year. All in all, not really that bad.

bleedblue
January 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I was more impressed with Santos in the Hula bowl.. he looked awesome

Of course you were. You are not going to give any credit to a UD guy.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Of course you were. You are not going to give any credit to a UD guy.To be truthful, Santos performed much better (as did JJ) in the actual game than Flacco did in his. That has to be tempered by the game and the purpose fulfilled. Flacco maybe had less to prove than the other two. xtwocentsx

89Hen
January 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
If you go by the reports, Flacco immensely helped his cause and from most indications he was the player who was most impressive at the Senior Bowl. So yes, I think he did okay. He'll probably go in the second round and depending on the team he'll possible get a chance to earn a starting job next year. All in all, not really that bad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/23/north.riserssliders/index.html?eref=si_ncaaf

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080126-scout-talk-senior-bowl-dan-pompei,1,733491.story

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/23/north.riserssliders/index.html?eref=si_ncaaf

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080126-scout-talk-senior-bowl-dan-pompei,1,733491.story

He also got real good pub on ESPN Sportscenter on Sunday (the day after the game) and was the first name talked about when they mentioned players who helped themselves this week. Goes to show that the game is really pretty minor - at this point it's practices and combines that will move people around. He's a second rounder at the worst right now.

USDFAN_55
January 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
To be truthful, Santos performed much better (as did JJ) in the actual game than Flacco did in his. That has to be tempered by the game and the purpose fulfilled. Flacco maybe had less to prove than the other two. xtwocentsx

What has Flacco proven that Santos or Johnson haven't. How can everyone keep looking past the fact that Flacco had one good seaon (with stats inflated due to the 15 game schedule), while Santos has been performing great for 4 years and Johnson for 3.

Does anyone think Flacco is going to be a "one hit wonder"? Not trying to knock the guy, just trying to get some opinions?

bluehenbillk
January 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
cmon guys, I'll wager with anyone foolish enough to challenge me that Flacco is the 1st FCS QB taken in the draft....

TCisMYhero
January 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Can someone explain that call late in the first half when the North apparent TD catch was called an incompletion? The guy had control, two or three feet down before going out of bounds. Once OB when he fell he apparently bobbled the ball, but it seemed like he had possession long enough for the TD catch. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

It's a stupid rule, but you must maintain control all the way through the catch, including contact with the ground. Stupid rule that the ground can cause an incompletion, but can't cause a fumble.

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
What has Flacco proven that Santos or Johnson haven't. How can everyone keep looking past the fact that Flacco had one good seaon (with stats inflated due to the 15 game schedule), while Santos has been performing great for 4 years and Johnson for 3.

Does anyone think Flacco is going to be a "one hit wonder"? Not trying to knock the guy, just trying to get some opinions?

First of all, Flacco had one good season, and one great season. That's 2 pretty good seasons then. Just because UD's defense undercut the Hens to a losing record in '06 doesn't mean Flacco didn't play well. And his stats in the second season, before the playoffs, were great - it's not like he just came on come playoff time. And what's also pretty important, when considering the next level, is what he's capable of and whether he can do it against that competition. You just can't ignore the physical traits since they're kinda important at the next level. And he's shown that he's able to make the kind of throws that will be asked of him at that level. Flacco fits the offense that he'll be asked to run in the NFL better than those other two QB's - it doesn't diminish they fact that they are great college QB's, just a recognition that the game played in the NFL is different than the game played in college.

USDFAN_55
January 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
cmon guys, I'll wager with anyone foolish enough to challenge me that Flacco is the 1st FCS QB taken in the draft....

He probably will be the first, but that doesn't mean the best. Scouts tend to have blinders on when they see a big QB with a strong arm. Shall we make a list of QBs with the physical tools, that flopped in the NFL?

USDFAN_55
January 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
First of all, Flacco had one good season, and one great season. That's 2 pretty good seasons then. Just because UD's defense undercut the Hens to a losing record in '06 doesn't mean Flacco didn't play well. And his stats in the second season, before the playoffs, were great - it's not like he just came on come playoff time. And what's also pretty important, when considering the next level, is what he's capable of and whether he can do it against that competition. You just can't ignore the physical traits since they're kinda important at the next level. And he's shown that he's able to make the kind of throws that will be asked of him at that level. Flacco fits the offense that he'll be asked to run in the NFL better than those other two QB's - it doesn't diminish they fact that they are great college QB's, just a recognition that the game played in the NFL is different than the game played in college.

Ryan Leaf: Position: QB Height: 6-5 Weight: 245 lbs.
Jim Druckenmiller: Position: QB Height: 6-4 Weight: 241 lbs.

Yeah, those physical traits are a sure sign of a good NFL QBxeekx

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
He probably will be the first, but that doesn't mean the best. Scouts tend to have blinders on when they see a big QB with a strong arm. Shall we make a list of QBs with the physical tools, that flopped in the NFL?

The list of QB's who have flopped in the NFL isn't just restricted to big QB's with big arms.

As for Joe, hey, maybe you just need to see him more. Seeing is believing. The kid can play, has a good head on his shoulders, and is a good leader. He's getting grooming from former UD great and successful NFL'er Scott Brunner, and when given the chance he's performed. People aren't just high on him because he's 6'6". xwhistlex

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Ryan Leaf: Position: QB Height: 6-5 Weight: 245 lbs.
Jim Druckenmiller: Position: QB Height: 6-4 Weight: 241 lbs.

Yeah, those physical traits are a sure sign of a good NFL QBxeekx

If you honestly think Flacco is the second coming of Ryan Leaf then you really haven't seen or heard much about Flacco at all. xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
January 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
If you honestly think Flacco is the second coming of Ryan Leaf then you really haven't seen or heard much about Flacco at all. xrolleyesx

Didn't Leaf have all the physical tools to be a great QB? That is what he was so touted for. He also had a great senior seaon. Sound familiar? I'm not trying to say Flacco is the next Leaf. I'm just trying to make it clear that physical attributes mean very little when trying to determine if a QB will be successful at the next level

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Didn't Leaf have all the physical tools to be a great QB? That is what he was so touted for. He also had a great senior seaon. Sound familiar? I'm not trying to say Flacco is the next Leaf. I'm just trying to make it clear that physical attributes mean very little when trying to determine if a QB will be successful at the next level

Yeah, and Leaf was a nutjob. Flacco in no way resembles the scrambled, mentally midadjusted flop that was Leaf.

DUPFLFan
January 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Re:Flacco and Johnson.

Let's let the NFL decide this one....Meet back in five years and see who won.

Otherwise it's just mental masturbation...

bleedblue
January 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM

I'm just trying to make it clear that physical attributes mean very little when trying to determine if a QB will be successful at the next level

Wrong. Very little is the part that is wrong. It's not the main component but there are not to many QB's 6' or under, so that says something. Not very little. Joe is getting more hype than Santos because of the style of QB. Santos could be the better overall QB but may not have enough NFL skills to be successful. Because Joe is a Pro style QB with very good pocket presence he will get more attention than Santos. Santos will be on a NFL team when 08 season starts, so it will be up to him to make the most of his chances to shine. I don't no enough about JJ to say why Joe gets more hype than him, although UD most certainly has had a tougher schedule than USD over the last 2 years, so that's gonna help Joe's case.

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM

haha, we do that with the Redskins. Derrick Frost is a UNI grad.

already123
January 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Id take Johnson or Santos ANYDAY over Flacco......PERIOD

bleedblue
January 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Id take Johnson or Santos ANYDAY over Flacco......PERIOD

That's why you don't work in the NFL. You think you know more than the guys that get paid to determine who has a better chance? Then again everyone has an opinion among other things.:) Just kidding no offense intended. If Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith don't make it and Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon have MVP's and super bowl rings who knows what can happen. I would still take a pro style qb with raw skills over a athletic qb with raw skills. Santos is the one that may surprise us all. Although he will have to change his stlye completely. The great thing is there will be several more 1-AA QB's to keep an eye on in the NFL next season. Good luck to all.

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
That's why you don't work in the NFL. You think you know more than the guys that get paid to determine who has a better chance? Then again everyone has an opinion among other things.:) Just kidding no offense intended. If Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith don't make it and Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon have MVP's and super bowl rings who knows what can happen. I would still take a pro style qb with raw skills over a athletic qb with raw skills. Santos is the one that may surprise us all. Although he will have to change his stlye completely. The great thing is there will be several more 1-AA QB's to keep an eye on in the NFL next season. Good luck to all.

Here's a question for all.... What do you think a pro-style QB is? What do you think the prototypical size is? History has shown that the typical NFL QB is around 6'3" to 6'4" (with a few shorter and a few taller) and about 220lbs. In fact the only QBs over 6'4" that have had consistent success in recent time are Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Carson Palmer. I didn't have time to look to far in the past, but just looking at some of the all time greats I noticed not one was over 6'4". If size was so important why aren't there more successful big quarterbacks? I think a lot of people are blinded by the physical statistics, and neglect to analyze what is important in a QB (throwing mechanics, footwork, accuracy, leadership, football IQ, work ethic, etc.).

GannonFan
January 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Here's a question for all.... What do you think a pro-style QB is? What do you think the prototypical size is? History has shown that the typical NFL QB is around 6'3" to 6'4" (with a few shorter and a few taller) and about 220lbs. In fact the only QBs over 6'4" that have had consistent success in recent time are Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Carson Palmer. I didn't have time to look to far in the past, but just looking at some of the all time greats I noticed not one was over 6'4". If size was so important why aren't there more successful big quarterbacks? I think a lot of people are blinded by the physical statistics, and neglect to analyze what is important in a QB (throwing mechanics, footwork, accuracy, leadership, football IQ, work ethic, etc.).

Uh, are you looking in the same past where a QB who threw for more than 50% completion rate was a rare thing? The game's changed so much since even the 80's that you can't be relying on history too much to predict future success. Heck, you could argue that a lineman being over 350 lbs doesn't have a lot of historical track record of success either, but history also has offensive lines that didn't even average 300 lbs just 20 years ago.

With that said, 6'4" is pretty big as it is, and I'm sure that height includes a fair amount of people, but I'm sure the reason why there aren't tons of QB's over 6'4" is because there aren't anywhere near as many people playing QB over 6'4". I'm sure a distribution graph of people's heights will show that you start seeing a pretty big dropoff in the number of people who are taller than 6'4".

When it comes down to it, if you're tall and you can play, you'll get a shot. The shorter you are, the less chance you'll have to get a shot. Doesn't mean you won't, but you're going to have to prove yourself more. Just the way it works.

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Uh, are you looking in the same past where a QB who threw for more than 50% completion rate was a rare thing? The game's changed so much since even the 80's that you can't be relying on history too much to predict future success. Heck, you could argue that a lineman being over 350 lbs doesn't have a lot of historical track record of success either, but history also has offensive lines that didn't even average 300 lbs just 20 years ago.

With that said, 6'4" is pretty big as it is, and I'm sure that height includes a fair amount of people, but I'm sure the reason why there aren't tons of QB's over 6'4" is because there aren't anywhere near as many people playing QB over 6'4". I'm sure a distribution graph of people's heights will show that you start seeing a pretty big dropoff in the number of people who are taller than 6'4".

When it comes down to it, if you're tall and you can play, you'll get a shot. The shorter you are, the less chance you'll have to get a shot. Doesn't mean you won't, but you're going to have to prove yourself more. Just the way it works.

So if you had a choice between a QB that has the desired physical attributes (height, weight, arm strength), or a QB that has the other desired attributes (accuracy, IQ, footwork, throwing mechanics); which would you choose?

GannonFan
January 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
So if you had a choice between a QB that has the desired physical attributes (height, weight, arm strength), or a QB that has the other desired attributes (accuracy, IQ, footwork, throwing mechanics); which would you choose?

Why are they mutually exclusive? I don't think they are.

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Height is cetainly highly rated by the NFL. Kevin Hoyng of Dayton is an absolutely outstanding QB, but he is only 6' 0". I think he could play in the NFL, but because of his height, he will probably not even get a shot. I am a Steelers fan, and have been for years. Watching Big Ben play still makes me uncomfortable.... He is obviously doing well, but for some reason, I just do not like his techniques.... I think JJ has a chance to be special. Nice height, very athletic, will probably put on a few more pounds.... We shall see.

GannonFan
January 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Height is cetainly highly rated by the NFL. Kevin Hoyng of Dayton is an absolutely outstanding QB, but he is only 6' 0". I think he could play in the NFL, but because of his height, he will probably not even get a shot. I am a Steelers fan, and have been for years. Watching Big Ben play still makes me uncomfortable.... He is obviously doing well, but for some reason, I just do not like his techniques.... I think JJ has a chance to be special. Nice height, very athletic, will probably put on a few more pounds.... We shall see.

I agree, height anymore is the one thing that you can't overcome. Flutie was a great QB but at 5'10" he never got a shot. Arm strength, weight, etc, aren't anywhere near as cut and dry as height seemingly is. Of course, considering the trend in size of offensive linemen (don't often see them below 6'2" or 6'3" and a lot are much bigger than that) that's not shocking. But hey, Drew Brees is only listed at 6'0". David Garrard is listed at 6'1". It happens. But the thing is, these days, the NFL just isn't looking for a prototypical body - you won't be drafted high just because you're tall and have a strong arm. If you can't play the position, you aren't being drafted high, at least not anymore.

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Why are they mutually exclusive? I don't think they are.

It's a hypathetical question. If there were two QBs like I described which would you choose?

GannonFan
January 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
It's a hypathetical question. If there were two QBs like I described which would you choose?

I dunno, it depends how much each QB would have of the other attributes (how much accuracy does the big armed QB have? Exactly how little arm strength does the high IQ QB have?).

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I dunno, it depends how much each QB would have of the other attributes (how much accuracy does the big armed QB have? Exactly how little arm strength does the high IQ QB have?).

Ok, I'll phrase the question a little differently. What attributes do you weigh your decision on more?

GannonFan
January 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, I'll phrase the question a little differently. What attributes do you weigh your decision on more?

Arm strength, accuracy, and general football IQ.