PDA

View Full Version : Rhody lands two prep school recruits-look good?

Brad82
January 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012408aab.html
Anyone know anything about them?

Cobblestone
January 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM
No but that WR has impressive numbers. That tells me Rizzi is going to put the ball in the air more than our previous HC.

Fordham
January 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
They sound good but does Rhody normally release commitment info as it comes in? Seems a little odd that they're doing it with only 2 right now instead of waiting for a more complete announcement.

Brad82
January 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Fordham-Other schools are releasing partial lists? Bet I have seen at least 50 releases so far? What is odd about Rhody doing it in comparison to say JMU, Norfolk state or Dartmouth?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
They sound good but does Rhody normally release commitment info as it comes in? Seems a little odd that they're doing it with only 2 right now instead of waiting for a more complete announcement.

I assume those two were announced because they have already enrolled in school for the Spring Semester.

Brad82
January 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I realize there is an official signing day,but not sure once the kid signs-unofficially what the big deal is regardless of source?

Fordham
January 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
it's no big deal at all - just odd since I can't remember seeing that before from any school so I figured I'd ask. And UNH may have nailed it. Seems perfectly plausible to release these two names if the guys enrolled and are on campus already and are going to compete in spring ball.

As far as other schools doing it, I just haven't seen it. What I have seen are press releases from a kid's hometown or else articles on recruiting sites but I just don't remember seeing any type of partial ... and in this case much more of a dribs and drabs kind of way since it's only 2 ... lists being linked to the school's site and thus an official release from the school's SID.

Either way, they sound like good signings. Congrats.

WildCat In The Hat
January 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Rhody still doesn't have all of their recruits in place on signing day. You'd have to think they are behind the eight ball a little this year with the new staff coming in so late in the game.
I do recall hearing good things about that wide receiver Bynum, though. I think he may make an immediate impact-especially if the new "O" is a similar version to Holy Cross' last year.

Brad82
January 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
all these impressive active,successful,young coaches and recruiters can't sign 13 (?) more good and great H.S. players by early Feb.? In almost two mos.-whoa! Rizzi should have that many alone from his Rutgers list.

WildCat In The Hat
January 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
You don't think a change in coaching staff and a (relatively) late announcement of the new coach affects recruiting at all? Ultimately it should be better if the staff is an upgrade, but this year will definitely have its challenges.

Brad82
January 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
No,they were hired based on recruitng contacts and prowess.
Lots of kids overlooked in S. Florida according to paper.
I signed late also.
This is just another excuse.

jmuroller
January 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
These names were released because they have enrolled in school already at URI.

Schools can't comment on a player until they either sign an official letter of intent or enroll in school. If a player commits to a school then that school still can't comment about him at all. Especially on their own website!

Tribe4SF
January 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I realize there is an official signing day,but not sure once the kid signs-unofficially what the big deal is regardless of source?

There is no "unofficial signing", and a school releasing info on a recruit prior to signing day would indeed be a big deal. The business of verbal commitments has really been a product of the internet age, and makes it interesting for fans, but the schools can't get involved in it at all.

Brad82
January 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Not true-I know of an instance where a kid signed (committed) and the HS coach told the local paper and they published it prior to offical signing day. Perfectly legal and since coach is not employee of university it is calle "unofficial". When announced on signing day by university it became "official".

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
They don't "unofficially sign"....they verbally commit to the coach.

Verbal commitments can be and are broken. (I don't think its right but it happens.)

In this case the URI web site announced it because they are already in school.

The University can have no comment on recruits until after signing day.

jmuroller
January 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Not true-I know of an instance where a kid signed (committed) and the HS coach told the local paper and they published it prior to offical signing day. Perfectly legal and since coach is not employee of university it is calle "unofficial". When announced on signing day by university it became "official".

LOL

Committing and signing are completely different. Did this player actually SIGN something? You don't sign anything till signing day. Then you sign your LOI and you can't back out it.

Brad82
January 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/
Here we go again-not my words but the coaches,newspapers,players ad infinitum-using the term commitment-in some cases the players confirmed with the school-without having signed the LOI. Is this official or unofficial?

WildCat In The Hat
January 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
That is unofficial-a high school coach can tell a newspaper whatever he wants and they can print whatever they want. Just because it is in the newspaper or on the internet does not make it official. For kids still in high school, it is not official unil they sign their name on Letter of Intent Day in the beginning of Feb. The college coaches can't comment on the high school players until then. If kids graduate high school early and enroll or transfer from a post grad school etc the coach can talk about them, because they are not in high school anymore.
It's pretty cut and dry-not sure why you can't grasp it.

Dawg2Rhody
January 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Brad is correct. Bynum and Farr are both enrolled for the spring and are with the team. As for other commitments Rizzi is hard at work, especially in NJ currently has 9 verbals along with the two transfers. This weekend they have 10 recruits on campus and another 10 will be in next week. High school coaches are not barred from talking to the media when their players verbally commit and that is where the info makes it to the press.

http://njmg.typepad.com/varsityaces/2008/01/elliot-morman-c.html

Ram Ball
January 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the update, Dawg. Keep em coming..

Cobblestone
January 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Looks good. I like Rizzi's recruiting so far.

Brad82
January 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Wildcat/Tribe=excuses!!

WildCat In The Hat
January 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Excuses for what? You not knowing the difference between an unofficial verbal and an official signing?

Brad82
January 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry-keypad error-I meant Tribe-he is one disputing the word "unofficial".
There is no "unofficial signing", and a school releasing info on a recruit prior to signing day would indeed be a big deal. The business of verbal commitments has really been a product of the internet age, and makes it interesting for fans, but the schools can't get involved in it at all.

Dawg2Rhody
January 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Two more verbals from URI are

WR Joe Migliarese 6'5 LaSalle, PA
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080128_High_Schools_-_La_Salle_High_wideout_Migliarese_picks_Rhode_Isla nd.html

LB Matt Sheard 6'2 Catholic Camden, NJ

Brad82
January 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
That's six commitments prior to signing day.
If that's behind the eight ball,let's see more of it!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Many schools have verbals from all their signees before signing day.

WildCat In The Hat
January 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Brad-you are sniffing glue if you don't think the Rhode Island coaching staff was behind in recruiting. It's not a slap against them-they were full time URI coaches starting January. If it doesn't matter-why doesn't every coach just wait until January. You obviously have no idea what is envolved in recruiting. Just because the spots are filled does not necessarily mean these would be the players he would have targeted if he had more time. Also, IMO two kids from the same high school committing shows that the coaches are trying to find as many kids as quick as possible to fill the spots.

Dawg2Rhody
January 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Actually there are a total of 10 that I know of but I haven't gotten full names/info on the other 4 yet so I won't post them. But they are definate verbals from last weekend.

Wildcat--I disagree with you on the two kids from the same school deal. Both kids are D1AA caliber kids that were getting looks from other schools. Morman received solid interest from Cincinnati and Vanderbilt and Elliott drew strong interest from Rutgers and Northwestern.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Is there a buzz down at URI about football in general?

I'd have to think people are getting excited about the program.

WildCat In The Hat
January 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
They may very well turn out to be good players, amd good luck to them. The point I guess I was trying to make is that I'm sure there is a sense of urgency for the new coaching staff to make quicker decisions on who to offer or not offer at this point in the game. I have no bad feelings toward Rizzi-and I actually think he was a great hire.

Brad82
January 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
OK-let's stop arguing,yes,I could see where he might be behind 8-ball time-wise. Their reputations are as recruiters-they probably have 100's of names each of FCS prospects. I think a lot of people underestimate the # of prospects out there.

Ram Ball
January 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM
What's with all of the hating coming from the UNH fans?

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I for one am excited, we have had awful football here at URI, over many years, and the new blood and offense is exciting, Rizzi is pumped, from what i understand he took a hefty pay cut to come here, he has big plans. and i know it won't happen over night, now that the new AD seems to be on board with football i will support the program any way i can through attendance and monetary.

The ADs a football guy, new coach, I like the new half the stadium thats done. I know URI is hoops crazy (its hockey up here). Good luck!

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Two more verbals from URI are

WR Joe Migliarese 6'5 LaSalle, PA
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080128_High_Schools_-_La_Salle_High_wideout_Migliarese_picks_Rhode_Isla nd.html

LB Matt Sheard 6'2 Catholic Camden, NJ

I like the numbers on this WR. With what Rizzi has recruited so far it's not too hard to see where the offense is headed. I look forward to the change, I sure as hell won't miss the option offense.

GO Darren!

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Brad-you are sniffing glue if you don't think the Rhode Island coaching staff was behind in recruiting. It's not a slap against them-they were full time URI coaches starting January. If it doesn't matter-why doesn't every coach just wait until January. You obviously have no idea what is envolved in recruiting. Just because the spots are filled does not necessarily mean these would be the players he would have targeted if he had more time. Also, IMO two kids from the same high school committing shows that the coaches are trying to find as many kids as quick as possible to fill the spots.

Wrong answer dude xnonox. Brad has been there and done that.

Your second statement in bold makes zero sense to me. Like this never happens. xconfusedx

Cobblestone
January 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM
The ADs a football guy, new coach, I like the new half the stadium thats done. I know URI is hoops crazy (its hockey up here). Good luck!

Thanks man. I'm excited about things. You said it all, we have a football guy for an A.D. and former player with I-A coaching experience as our HC. Yes URI is hoops crazy (I support basketball as well) but R.I. in general has a huge idiot factor. Most people in this state don't even know how to get to the state university; I kid you not.

Sadly, URI in general doesn't enjoy a whole lot of support. The majority of the people in this state are Providence College basketball fans. I might add that most of these PC basketball fans never even attended a class at PC and have nothing higher than a 12th grade education. But, for some reason they see PC basketball as the closest thing the state has to a pro sports franchise. So on the bandwagon they jump.

Dawg2Rhody
January 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
As far as excitement --yeah there is definate excitement among the players about what is going on. At this time last month I (among others, thank you Brad) was trying to convince my son to stay and see it through. After being back on campus for a week with the new coaches he couldn't be more excited! Some of the differences he has already noted are "respect, accountability and off season requirements" all huge in this sport right?

Cobblestone
January 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I talked with one of the young linebackers over the Christmas break, he told me Rizzi told them to be in shape come spring, because spring training was going to be something they have never experienced.xthumbsupx

I love it!

xanim_chaix

Monarch History
January 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'm excited for the Rams and the school's students and fans. I'm confident Rizzi will have things turned in the right direction in a short time.xnodx

I'm always interested in Rams FB and BB as my wife has an uncle and two first cousins who are in the school's HOF.

Ram Ball
January 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I'm always interested in Rams FB and BB as my wife has an uncle and two first cousins who are in the school's HOF.

Do you mind saying who they are? or private message me..

JoltinJoe
January 31st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Rizzi's recruiting looks impressive -- even more, so give the late start.

Good luck and best wishes for an extended and successful run with Rizzi.

Ram Ball
February 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
JOHN KILPATRICK (http://rhodeisland.scout.com/a.z?s=444&p=9&c=2&cid=724873&nid=3078877&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frhodeisland.scout.com%2f a.z%3fs%3d444%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d724873%26nid %3d3078877%26fhn%3d1)

BRANDON JOHNSON-FARRELL (http://rhodeisland.scout.com/a.z?s=444&p=9&c=2&cid=724873&nid=3078877&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frhodeisland.scout.com%2f a.z%3fs%3d444%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d724873%26nid %3d3078877%26fhn%3d1)

Monarch History
February 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Everyone needs a good Irishman (Kilpatrick) on their team. xlolx

Dawg2Rhody
February 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
James Taylor LB/RB 6'0/210 Westwood
TAYLOR TO RHODE ISLAND
The parade of North Jersey talent toward New England continued Tuesday as Westwood star running back/linebacker James Taylor committed to Rhode Island.

Taylor was one of the best all-around players in North Jersey early last season, leading the area in both rushing and tackles when he injured his knee midway through the season. That scarred away some Division I suitors, but the story now has a happy ending.

Westwood coach Billy Straub said Taylor's rehab is going very well, and he could have an opportunity to play as a freshman. It's still uncertain which side of the ball Taylor will play in at the next level, but this is an excellent addition for Rhode Island.

Kyle Bogumil TE 6'6/225 Crestwood PA

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=53764&season=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d537 64%26season%3d2008

John Kilpatrick DE 6'2/275 Abington Heights

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=2&cid=724873&nid=3078877&fhn=1

Matt Kolojejchick RB 5'11/190 Wyoming Valley West
http://www.timesleader.com/sports/15095051.html

Matt Rae DE 6'4/240 Dallastown

Marc Lucarini QB 6'1/207 Camden Catholic
http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s=450&p=8&c=1&nid=2897939

Brandon Johnson-Farrell WR 5'9/180 Arundel
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/highschool/bal-va.boyathlete12sep12,0,5756072.story

Cobblestone
February 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I like the sounds of all of this. Looks like Lucarini will be our starting QB next season. With the type of offense Rizzi is going to run I don't see Cassidy keeping his starting job.

Brad82
February 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Cobble-Lucarini is only a frosh?
What about Cassidy's backup and Greg Wicks? Wicks is big kid and drop-back passer.

Ram Ball
February 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I was thinking that Wicks would have a shot at the job.

Cobblestone
February 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Cobble-Lucarini is only a frosh?
What about Cassidy's backup and Greg Wicks? Wicks is big kid and drop-back passer.

Yes but looking at Lucarini's passing stats and the fact that Rizzi wants to throw the ball makes me think he's got a good shot. I haven't seen enough of Wicks to make any judgement call. I'm sorry but Stefkovich has not impressed me the few times I've seen him play.

Let Lucarini and Wicks battle it out for the starting job and may the best man win.

Brad82
February 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM
has anyone seen the big kid McCarthy play from RI who signed w/UNH-any good?