PDA

View Full Version : Flacco Updates at the Senior Bowl

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Started a little slow, but has come on in practices since then, and Sports Illustrated gives him the headline in it's review of practices so far - calls him the "most physically gifted passer" there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/23/north.riserssliders/index.html

Also, here's a video on the NFL website showing about 1:40 of Flacco's practice time - looks real good. With practices like these, as long as he doesn't lay an egg in the actual game he should be a lock for a 2nd round pick at the worst.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80632488

GOTOREROS
January 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Good for him! I wish him the best, he's a very good QB! Great for FCS to have multiple QB's making waves in the pre-draft games.

uni88
January 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
From Tuesday's Chicago Tribune
Delaware's Flacco could be Bears QB of future (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-22-bearschicagojan22,0,7963279.story)

Flacco looked more impressive than the other two QBs on his team -- USC's John David Booty and Michigan's Chad Henne.

spelunker64
January 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Boy the commentators on most of the major sporting networks love this guy almost as much as Tom Brady. Can you say man-crush

UNH SUPERFAN
January 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Do any of you know the game time and station carrying the Senior Bowl? I assume it's Saturday??

spelunker64
January 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
NFL Network, 4pm Eastern

spelunker64
January 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1144/F364145.jpg

AppAlum2003
January 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=765802

Some nice words from Mr. Booty

proasu89
January 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here's another SI.com article that features Flacco and mentions Dexter Jackson. Way to go guys.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/24/risers.sliders/

KiddBrewer
January 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
who are the other 4 FCS players in it, other than Dex and Flacco

spelunker64
January 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Mike Dragosovich, NDSU Punter

bleedblue
January 26th, 2008, 06:04 AM
who are the other 4 FCS players in it, other than Dex and Flacco

I think the OT from UNI is also on the roster? I think?

Appguy
January 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1144/F364145.jpg

I love the look on the face lol

I will be rooting for him but I don't want him on my team,the panthers.
him or Chad Henne.
I figure anyone who cant a game against our Defense wont be able to pass on an NFL one in general. Thats one of the reasons I laughed when I saw the scouts talking about Henne's great "preparation".

Its not like Henne wasn't being protected by the best Left Tackle and one of the top guards in the draft.

-Maybe having superior protection is all Flacco need though, so I will throw away my "Flacco is Wacco", and "Sack-O Flacco" signs from Chattanooga

hapapp
January 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I love the look on the face lol

I will be rooting for him but I don't want him on my team,the panthers.
him or Chad Henne.
I figure anyone who cant a game against our Defense wont be able to pass on an NFL one in general. Thats one of the reasons I laughed when I saw the scouts talking about Henne's great "preparation".

Its not like Henne wasn't being protected by the best Left Tackle and one of the top guards in the draft.

-Maybe having superior protection is all Flacco need though, so I will throw away my "Flacco is Wacco", and "Sack-O Flacco" signs from Chattanooga

I don't think how either one of them performed against a college opponent has anything to do with how they will perform as a pro. As a Bear fan, I would like to see Flacco on the Bears.

Appguy
January 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think how either one of them performed against a college opponent has anything to do with how they will perform as a pro. As a Bear fan, I would like to see Flacco on the Bears.

How you perform against a college opponent has EVERYTHING to do with how you will perform against pros. thats why they draft players higher who excel against college opponents. Flacco may have not been given time to make all the throws but there the fact that he couldn't complete more than 50 percent of his passes against us (defense wasn't our strong point, against our 5-6 corner and 3rd string corner)

The guy has all the "measurables" (height and cannon arm) he just didn't impress me with his play when I saw him in person in chatty

Jaxhen
January 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
How you perform against a college opponent has EVERYTHING to do with how you will perform against pros. thats why they draft players higher who excel against college opponents. Flacco may have not been given time to make all the throws but there the fact that he couldn't complete more than 50 percent of his passes against us (defense wasn't our strong point, against our 5-6 corner and 3rd string corner)

The guy has all the "measurables" (height and cannon arm) he just didn't impress me with his play when I saw him in person in chatty

I disagree with you completely on this. Your surrounding cast has a huge effect on how you perform, especially at QB, as well as the fact that QB play probably suffers more from inconsistency than any other position, other than maybe kicker. There are numerous factors that affect QB play, including the weather and play calling . Since you mentioned your 3rd string corner, I'll mention UD's backup left OG and OT in the game, who had to protect his blind side. In addition, I saw a number of passes dropped by our receivers, granted some caused by hard hits by App. St, but in general UD's receivers were not getting good separation from App. St's. DBs, which was not Flacco's fault. Flacco is the best pure passing QB I have ever seen at UD, which has put four QBs in the NFL and one QB in the arena league. Flacco has all the tools to be an excellent NFL QB, and can be one of the best if he has a solid supporting cast and good coaching.

hapapp
January 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM

If that were the case, they wouldn't hold these combines to get a better look at what abilities these athletes have. You can't judge a player by one game. Just because someone failed to lead his team to victory doesn't mean he performed poorly. The pro scouts are looking at potential not what you actually accomplished in college.

Appguy
January 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
If that were the case, they wouldn't hold these combines to get a better look at what abilities these athletes have. You can't judge a player by one game. Just because someone failed to lead his team to victory doesn't mean he performed poorly. The pro scouts are looking at potential not what you actually accomplished in college.

I wasn't knocking on him that he didn't lead them to victory, just I wasn't impressed by his play in general. he had an OK game considering he had a backup tackle guarding his blind side though.
Ive been to a few college games with great current NFL QBs playing in them and I just didn't see it in him IMO.

just curious - why did pitt start palko over him?

GannonFan
January 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I wasn't knocking on him that he didn't lead them to victory, just I wasn't impressed by his play in general. he had an OK game considering he had a backup tackle guarding his blind side though.
Ive been to a few college games with great current NFL QBs playing in them and I just didn't see it in him IMO.

Backup tackle and a backup guard right next to him. And it's tough throwing to people who aren't open. You have to give Appy St's defensive backfield some credit - it's odd, people talk up Corey Lynch all the time but then rip other QB's for not being able to pass against Appy St.

bleedblue
January 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM

My family that live out there and are PITT grads said they feel it had a lot to do with the coaching change. Joe was recruited by Walt Harris but once he left and Palko had that great freshman year I hear that's what sealed Joe's fate with PITT. I do know Flacco will be drafted higher than Palko. Come to think of it I don't think Plako was drafted or if he was it was late.

Do you feel any QB that beat APP ST ths year has a better chance than Henne or Flacco of having a good NFL career?

If JMU would have beat you would that make their QB better than Joe? BTW JMU had you beat and allowed APP to win with that fumble, although in my eyes APP was still the better team.

Peems
January 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
College success doesn't always equal draft success, that is obvious. Look at past heisman winners for the most clear examples. My personal favorite though is in 2006 NFL Draft three NC St D Linemen were taken in the first round off a team that went 7-5 and only won three games in conference. xconfusedx

Syntax Error
January 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Do you feel any QB that beat APP ST ths year has a better chance than Henne or Flacco of having a good NFL career?We'll see how Jayson Foster does in his NFL career.

UNHWildCats
January 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
the Patriots drafter a QB from USC who threw the ball like 11 times during his entire college career.

It doesnt always matter what you do in college.

bleedblue
January 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
the Patriots drafter a QB from USC who threw the ball like 11 times during his entire college career.

It doesnt always matter what you do in college.

From USC? Who was that?

Shellin
January 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Matt Cassel, he backed up Palmer and Leinart. Pretty tough to get on the field with guys like that in front of you.

Appguy
January 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
My family that live out there and are PITT grads said they feel it had a lot to do with the coaching change. Joe was recruited by Walt Harris but once he left and Palko had that great freshman year I hear that's what sealed Joe's fate with PITT. I do know Flacco will be drafted higher than Palko. Come to think of it I don't think Plako was drafted or if he was it was late.

Do you feel any QB that beat APP ST ths year has a better chance than Henne or Flacco of having a good NFL career?

If JMU would have beat you would that make their QB better than Joe? BTW JMU had you beat and allowed APP to win with that fumble, although in my eyes APP was still the better team.

again, im not knocking flacco because he didnt win, he simply didn't impress me like some QBs have. He didn't in the senior bowl either..

Henne on the other hand SHOULD have been able to pass freely on us with a top 5 Pick OT on his blind side. I think with Henne it was more of a lack of preparation for what he would see or the situations he would be in(down 14 points) against us.

-Also, Jayson Foster should have a good NFL Career i hope...not at QB though

bleedblue
January 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
again, im not knocking flacco because he didnt win, he simply didn't impress me like some QBs have. He didn't in the senior bowl either..

Henne on the other hand SHOULD have been able to pass freely on us with a top 5 Pick OT on his blind side. I think with Henne it was more of a lack of preparation for what he would see or the situations he would be in(down 14 points) against us.

-Also, Jayson Foster should have a good NFL Career i hope...not at QB though

When I first saw Joe practice over 2 years ago I told my friends we have a guy with NFL raw skills, height, strong arm and can move fairly well. His footwork will be key. It is funny though that nearly all the experts thinks he will be a high draft pick, within the first 3 rounds, but you still get someone who has seen him 5 times in the last 2 years and says I'm not impressed. I've only seen JJ once and can only say he has raw skills that if someone can develop, and has the head for the NFL game, he could make it. No knock on anyone's opinion, just an observation. I will say this though he was a top 40 QB in the country out of high school, so did not just come out of no where.