PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco to the NFL

WIU02
January 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
What pick will the product of transfer U go?

RadMann
January 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
It is funny how UD is nowhere near the transfer leader even in their own conference yet we get posts like this. Fact is a transfer like Flacco only comes around very rarely.

downbythebeach
January 21st, 2008, 05:46 AM
"In the 4th round, out of Transfer University, the........."

WIU02
January 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM
"Fact is a transfer like Flacco only comes around very rarely."

Right, so rare that he becomes one in a line of four consecutive. Try defending the transfer argument another time, bud.

GannonFan
January 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Defending? Who cares? 3 transfer QB's, 2 national championship appearances, and 2 guys who will be NFL picks. Gee, you'd think QB was a position Delaware's not getting enough production from.

ChickenMan
January 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM
People only bitch about 'transfers'.. that become outstanding players.. no one mentions or gives a fat rat's ass about all the transfers that are average or less. Forunately for Hen's fans.. Delaware has had a few 'transfers' that FCS fans love to bitch about... :D xlolx ;)

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
WAIT'LL DEY GET UH LOAD.....UH DUH NEXT ONE..........xeekx...BRAWK!

bluehenbillk
January 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM

WIU, we like to refer to ourselves as Gateway Destroyers.

Col Hogan
January 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM
If you've ever been to Macomb, IL, you know why no one in their right mind would transfer to WIU.......

D1scout
January 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
If you've ever been to Macomb, IL, you know why no one in their right mind would transfer to WIU.......

If you ever met Don Patterson you would know why a player would want to transfer there, regardless of the less than steller facilities.:) Of all the coaches I have met and deal with in the last 30 years this guy is truly a player's coach. He sincerely cares about their welfare both on the field and off and he is loyal-to-a-fault about getting his recruits in the game. I have seen him develop players who would not have had a chance to ever play elsewhere and they turned out to be decent athletes. Don Patterson's philosophy is what most coaches should adopt in dealing with young men.

JohnStOnge
January 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
If you look at the three programs that have been most successfully historically in winning national titles...Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, and now Appalacian State...I think you'll see that they won their national titles with teams such that I-A/FCS transfers did not play a major role. It's very easy to believe they could've won most and maybe all of their titles without any I-A/FCS transfers at all.

I don't see any reason to have a negative attitude towards teams that do get transfers who play a major role. I think it's possible to win with them playing a major role and possible to win without that.

RadMann
January 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Fact is just about no I-AA team would turn down a Flacco. Flacco had been recruited by UD as a high schooler and lives in the area. The thing is, once you get a guy like Flacco other FBS QBs will come calling once they see that FCS is good quality football. As the new UD QB transfer noted, he started at the top of FCS. Appy State ran an offense that was not his style (and had a returning QB of high quality), so he looked next at UD and approached UD. I am not a huge transfer fan, but the fact is that UD can attract high quality transfers who are great students (with no "issues"). Also, UD has had three QBs who started in the NFL and none of them were transfers.

We don't hear about UMass' transfers much even though they are the transfer king by far of the conference.

proasu89
January 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
If you look at the three programs that have been most successfully historically in winning national titles...Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, and now Appalacian State...I think you'll see that they won their national titles with teams such that I-A/FCS transfers did not play a major role. It's very easy to believe they could've won most and maybe all of their titles without any I-A/FCS transfers at all.

I don't see any reason to have a negative attitude towards teams that do get transfers who play a major role. I think it's possible to win with them playing a major role and possible to win without that.

Agreedxthumbsupx Think about it for just a second. Many players that transfer end up probably where they should have been all along.

UNH SUPERFAN
January 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
If you ever met Don Patterson you would know why a player would want to transfer there, regardless of the less than steller facilities.:) Of all the coaches I have met and deal with in the last 30 years this guy is truly a player's coach. He sincerely cares about their welfare both on the field and off and he is loyal-to-a-fault about getting his recruits in the game. I have seen him develop players who would not have had a chance to ever play elsewhere and they turned out to be decent athletes. Don Patterson's philosophy is what most coaches should adopt in dealing with young men.

I knew Don when we were both cadets at West Point, he was a great guy then, and I'm sure he is a tough but fair and honorable coach at WIU. The amazing thing about Don is that he didn't play college ball, but after completing his service commitment got into the college coaching ranks. He's story certainly is an interesting one!

D1scout
January 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I knew Don when we were both cadets at West Point, he was a great guy then, and I'm sure he is a tough but fair and honorable coach at WIU. The amazing thing about Don is that he didn't play college ball, but after completing his service commitment got into the college coaching ranks. He's story certainly is an interesting one!

I keep an eye out for recruits for Coach Patterson as I do for several other coaches in my local area and while all of them are good guys the one thing that stands out about Coach Patterson is his honesty with both the parents and the recruits. There's no question in my mind that he is a man of honor.:)

bleedblue
January 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM

3rd round