PDA

View Full Version : Josh Johnson Baby!!!!!!!

DetroitFlyer
January 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Josh was named the player of the game tonight in the East/West Shrine game! He was by far the best QB on the field! The announcers could not say enough good about Josh, before, during, and of course late in the game when he was named player of the game.... JJ improves his draft position tonight, and further validates the high caliber of football played in the PFL!!!!!

USDFAN_55
January 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I think he showed those who doubted his skills that he is a good football player. I can't wait to see where he goes in the draft.

UNHWildCats
January 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
:P this belongs in FCS & The Pros or Other Sports

KiddBrewer
January 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
ill give the man some respect, he did play well. very well.

ha you cant hate on SD for EVERYTHING i suppose.....

ereiz03
January 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM
He was by FAR the most talked about kid in this game....announcers loved him.

JohnStOnge
January 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
He was by FAR the most talked about kid in this game....announcers loved him.

Near the end of the game they called him, "...the best football player on the field." I don't know if I'd have made that statement because I think that can be hard to tell. But he definitely made a good impression and would've had better statistics without receivers dropping some of his passes.

danefan
January 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Absolutely impressive showing, but those who have seen him play have been saying that since day 1.

Do a quick google search and you'll see a bunch of "chatter" for him as a second-round lock and maybe even a shocker in the 1st round.

He's definitely above Flacco after that performance. Much bigger upside than Flacco.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson as a Raven next year.

DUPFLFan
January 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Perhaps some may look at the PFL a little different now. Without scholarships we may not have the length and breadth of talent as some of the scholly programs, if you look at our top level players, there are players who can compete with some of the best of FCS.

Ahh, probably not....

spelunker64
January 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I was impressed by the skinny guy. Get some pounds on him, he'll have a solid career ahead of him.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Josh was named the player of the game tonight in the East/West Shrine game! He was by far the best QB on the field! The announcers could not say enough good about Josh, before, during, and of course late in the game when he was named player of the game.... JJ improves his draft position tonight, and further validates the high caliber of football played in the PFL!!!!!

This is great for the league and hopefully it can lure more NFL talent at some point. If I was a QB getting overlooked by Montana, ASU, Delaware, etc. I would look at USD for sure. San Diego and Dayton have proven to be very good teams.

This doesn't really prove the entire league is legit more than it proves Josh is. We all knew Josh is a great player. People outside of the NFL and FCS didn't know that. They all know now. I think Johnson is a 3rd-4th round pick but he is the only player from this year in the PFL that is draftable. Nobody has ever said that there is no talent in the PFL. We all know San Diego has 3-4 very good players and Dayton has a couple. There are probably 5-8 players in the league who can play on Sundays or at least worth a look.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Perhaps some may look at the PFL a little different now. Without scholarships we may not have the length and breadth of talent as some of the scholly programs, if you look at our top level players, there are players who can compete with some of the best of FCS.

Ahh, probably not....

I will be one of the first to agree with you on this. The mid-majors has several talented players. Bruce Hocker, Josh Johnson, Eric Bakhtiari, etc. I believe those 3 will be in camps for sure, maybe even 1-3 more from the FCS mid-majors. Now, if the mid-majors will start giving scholarships they could have the depth to hang and even beat some quality schools from the CAA, Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway, Southland, etc. in the FCS playoffs in future years.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Ahh, probably not....

Does this mean the PFL will change it's scheduling practices and try to play the best of the FCS? Ahh, probably not... xsmhx

DetroitFlyer
January 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Does this mean the PFL will change it's scheduling practices and try to play the best of the FCS? Ahh, probably not... xsmhx

Hey genius, maybe you did not hear.... Jacksonville is playing at App state this year. You sir, are just another ignorant FBS wannabee.

DUPFLFan
January 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM

So I guess Drake playing Illinois State and Northern Iowa last year doesn't count...xnonono2x

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hey genius, maybe you did not hear.... Jacksonville is playing at App state this year. You sir, are just another ignorant FBS wannabee.

I can't believe anyone would say the mid-majors don't try to play anyone. It seems like you guys get games like this every year. Now, when talking about this game the first thing that came to mind was OUCH! My early prediction would be 56-7 but hopefully Jacksonville surprises some people and shows fairly well.

already123
January 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Im not so sure about validating the ENTIRE PFL, they still have a ways to go...however, he played very well and show)

DetroitFlyer
January 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Im not so sure about validating the ENTIRE PFL, they still have a ways to go...however, he played very well and show)

Let's not forget that JJ was not even the PFL offensive player of the year.... That honor went to Kevin Hoyng of Dayton!!

The PFL is playing some great football. JJ honed his craft against primarily PFL teams. We saw the results of JJ playing against PFL competition.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM

So I guess Drake playing Illinois State and Northern Iowa last year doesn't count...xnonono2x

Nope, I have no interest in seeing my team go FBS - I like where we are just fine.

As for the schedules, yup, bravo to Jacksonville, that is the type of scheduling that should go on. Same with Drake, who has habitually played decent schedules. Now, if the PFL is just made up of Drake and Jacksonville, then by all means, I stand refuted. So, are there other teams in the PFL? Are we sure the PFL, even with those 3 games, still doesn't play more games against NAIA teams or DIII teams?

I said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest injustice done to Johnson throughout his college career was not being given a schedule where he could make a national impact, as a team, on the rest of the FCS - shame on the USD AD.

DetroitFlyer
January 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Nope, I have no interest in seeing my team go FBS - I like where we are just fine.

As for the schedules, yup, bravo to Jacksonville, that is the type of scheduling that should go on. Same with Drake, who has habitually played decent schedules. Now, if the PFL is just made up of Drake and Jacksonville, then by all means, I stand refuted. So, are there other teams in the PFL? Are we sure the PFL, even with those 3 games, still doesn't play more games against NAIA teams or DIII teams?

I said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest injustice done to Johnson throughout his college career was not being given a schedule where he could make a national impact, as a team, on the rest of the FCS - shame on the USD AD.

Do you actually work to come up with some of the most off base comments, or does it just come to you naturally? JJ will be drafted in the 3rd to 5th round. He will go on to have a good NFL career in my opinion. Yeah, playing at USD and in the PFL has really hurt this kid! PLEASE crawl back into your FBS wannabee hole, and leave the intelligent discussion to folks that actually have a clue.

GannonFan
January 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Do you actually work to come up with some of the most off base comments, or does it just come to you naturally? JJ will be drafted in the 3rd to 5th round. He will go on to have a good NFL career in my opinion. Yeah, playing at USD and in the PFL has really hurt this kid! PLEASE crawl back into your FBS wannabee hole, and leave the intelligent discussion to folks that actually have a clue.

Show me what was off-base? I'm waiting. Have I ever said anything bad about Johnson? No, on the contrary I've always been extremely positive on the kid and have always said he'll be a good QB.

You just get so blinded and biased in your rant against anything non-PFL that you group any opinion of the PFL and automatically assume the worst. And yes, playing at USD and playing that schedule has hurt this kid, at least from a draft standpoint - if he'd had more games against better competition, he'd be a surefire 2nd round pick, commensurate with his skill level. It's not the end of the world and it's not an indictmeny on you as a fan. I know you hate all things non-PFL, but in reality most people, myself included, are rooting for this kid - in spite of your opinions. :D

DetroitFlyer
January 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Show me what was off-base? I'm waiting. Have I ever said anything bad about Johnson? No, on the contrary I've always been extremely positive on the kid and have always said he'll be a good QB.

You just get so blinded and biased in your rant against anything non-PFL that you group any opinion of the PFL and automatically assume the worst. And yes, playing at USD and playing that schedule has hurt this kid, at least from a draft standpoint - if he'd had more games against better competition, he'd be a surefire 2nd round pick, commensurate with his skill level. It's not the end of the world and it's not an indictmeny on you as a fan. I know you hate all things non-PFL, but in reality most people, myself included, are rooting for this kid - in spite of your opinions. :D

Duh.... Playing FCS hurts every kids draft prospects. Do ya think there just might be a reason why the lion's share of NFL players come from FBS schools? Guess what, I'll clue you in.... The vast majority of the time, top HS prospects end up at FBS schools. As a result, the NFL drafts far more FBS players every year than FCS players.... Are you starting to get it yet? You might be rooting for JJ, ( frankly I have my doubts ), but your continued denigration of the PFL is way off base and out of place here my friend. Delaware's schedule really hurt Flacco as well. If he had stayed at Pitt and been successful, he just might be a first rounder.... Now, he will be very lucky if he is drafted before JJ! As I said, FBS wannabee weather you admit it or not! One more time, just for you.... FCS is not FBS!!!!! Repeat that maybe 100 times, and maybe, just maybe, you will begin to understand!:D

Stang Fever
January 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
I will put my 2 cents in on JOSH JOHNSON....one heck of a QB. He has all the tools needed to be successful in the next level. Put some weight on that frame (8-12 lbs which he can easily handle)....I never doubted that JJ was good, just that USD did not deserve a playoff spot cause of the level of comp they played.

GannonFan
January 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Duh.... Playing FCS hurts every kids draft prospects. Do ya think there just might be a reason why the lion's share of NFL players come from FBS schools? Guess what, I'll clue you in.... The vast majority of the time, top HS prospects end up at FBS schools. As a result, the NFL drafts far more FBS players every year than FCS players.... Are you starting to get it yet? You might be rooting for JJ, ( frankly I have my doubts ), but your continued denigration of the PFL is way off base and out of place here my friend. Delaware's schedule really hurt Flacco as well. If he had stayed at Pitt and been successful, he just might be a first rounder.... Now, he will be very lucky if he is drafted before JJ! As I said, FBS wannabee weather you admit it or not! One more time, just for you.... FCS is not FBS!!!!! Repeat that maybe 100 times, and maybe, just maybe, you will begin to understand!:D

Well, considering Flacco wouldn't have played at Pitt until this year, actually going to Delaware certainly helped his draft chances - playing, as opposed to riding the bench, is always a better way of being drafted. xthumbsupx

As for the FBS thing, I think you're barking up the wrong tree - I've never said that I want Delaware to be FBS - I know that's shocking for you since you already have a preconceived, and evidence-less idea of what non-PFL fans are like, but it is what it is. Anything to feed into your bizarre paranoia about the rest of the FCS division, I suppose.

Boo. xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
January 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
I watched Saturday's game, Johnson was clearly the best player on the field, but it is a LONG way from MVP of that game to making an NFL roster. It looks like he has the tools to play pro ball but he will probably have a long road to go to get there if history tells us anything.

uofmman1122
January 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Duh.... Playing FCS hurts every kids draft prospects. Do ya think there just might be a reason why the lion's share of NFL players come from FBS schools? Guess what, I'll clue you in.... The vast majority of the time, top HS prospects end up at FBS schools. As a result, the NFL drafts far more FBS players every year than FCS players.... Are you starting to get it yet? You might be rooting for JJ, ( frankly I have my doubts ), but your continued denigration of the PFL is way off base and out of place here my friend. Delaware's schedule really hurt Flacco as well. If he had stayed at Pitt and been successful, he just might be a first rounder.... Now, he will be very lucky if he is drafted before JJ! As I said, FBS wannabee weather you admit it or not! One more time, just for you.... FCS is not FBS!!!!! Repeat that maybe 100 times, and maybe, just maybe, you will begin to understand!:DHuh...I thought this thread was about Josh Johnson....If you wanted to make a thread arguing for the PFL (what would it be, the 500th?), then you shouldn't have tried to disguise the topic.

Congrats to Josh Johnson on the MVP award. He's certainly an amazing football player.

Detroit Flyer, give it a rest. If anything, you're making me (and probably many others) lose more respect for the PFL.

DetroitFlyer
January 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
Huh...I thought this thread was about Josh Johnson....If you wanted to make a thread arguing for the PFL (what would it be, the 500th?), then you shouldn't have tried to disguise the topic.

Congrats to Josh Johnson on the MVP award. He's certainly an amazing football player.

Detroit Flyer, give it a rest. If anything, you're making me (and probably many others) lose more respect for the PFL.

Oh yeah, like I'm really worried about you losing respect for the PFL because of me. You are just another clueless member of the Old Guard who has no idea what he is talking about. If you want to actually educate yourself, which I sincerely doubt, go to the UD Football site, register for AllAcess, and watch the USD at Dayton game. You will see two teams that could have beaten your FBS wannabee school in 2007.

And this thread is about Josh Johnson. Josh played his entire career in the PFL. All the skills that will get him drafted were honed in batles with Drake, Dayton, Valparaiso, Morehead State, Davidson, Jacksonville and Butler. It sure looks to me like playing against PFL competition is going to pay off for Josh quite well.

Appstate29
January 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Josh Johnson will bust, he will get drafted high because of his gaudy numbers put up against fellow Willow School of the Blind Opponents, and will end up just not quite stacking up, like the pitiful league he comes from, the PFL.

Rob Iola
January 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah, like I'm really worried about you losing respect for the PFL because of me. You are just another clueless member of the Old Guard who has no idea what he is talking about. If you want to actually educate yourself, which I sincerely doubt, go to the UD Football site, register for AllAcess, and watch the USD at Dayton game. You will see two teams that could have beaten your FBS wannabee school in 2007.

And this thread is about Josh Johnson. Josh played his entire career in the PFL. All the skills that will get him drafted were honed in batles with Drake, Dayton, Valparaiso, Morehead State, Davidson, Jacksonville and Butler. It sure looks to me like playing against PFL competition is going to pay off for Josh quite well.
No need to worry about any of us losing respect for the PFL DF...

(wait - this isn't the sarcasm thread???)

JohnStOnge
January 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
If you want to actually educate yourself, which I sincerely doubt, go to the UD Football site, register for AllAcess, and watch the USD at Dayton game. You will see two teams that could have beaten your FBS wannabee school in 2007.

I believe the PFL should be given more credit than it is, but I think it likely that Montana would have beaten either USD or Dayton if the Griz had played them this season.

On the positive side, Dayton ended up rated higher in the 'average" ratings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm than two of the automatic bid conference champions (Delaware State and Fordham). I also think that San Diego was better than some of the automatic bid champions in 2006. Even for those skeptical of rating systems, it should be easy to make the argument that Dayton "belonged" at least as much as the 2007 Patriot League champ (Fordham) did; since the Flyers beat that Patriot League champ on the road during the regular season.

If I had my way, every champion of every FCS league would get an automatic bid to the playoffs (except I'd have a minimum number of teams in the league requirement). But I do think Montana was better than anybody in the PFL this past season.

GOTOREROS
January 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
I believe the PFL should be given more credit than it is, but I think it likely that Montana would have beaten either USD or Dayton if the Griz had played them this season.

On the positive side, Dayton ended up rated higher in the 'average" ratings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm than two of the automatic bid conference champions (Delaware State and Fordham). I also think that San Diego was better than some of the automatic bid champions in 2006. Even for those skeptical of rating systems, it should be easy to make the argument that Dayton "belonged" at least as much as the 2007 Patriot League champ (Fordham) did; since the Flyers beat that Patriot League champ on the road during the regular season.

If I had my way, every champion of every FCS league would get an automatic bid to the playoffs (except I'd have a minimum number of teams in the league requirement). But I do think Montana was better than anybody in the PFL this past season.

QFT

JohnStOnge
January 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
QFT

What does that mean?

McNeese75
January 21st, 2008, 10:12 PM
What does that mean?

Can't be good if he won't spell it out xlolx

GOTOREROS
January 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
What does that mean?

It means "quoted for truth" - it means I agree with you! xnodx

OhioHen
January 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM

Not when accompanied by

Sat, Sep 8 Waldorf
Sat, Sep 15 at Wisconsin-Platteville

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

DetroitFlyer
January 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Not when accompanied by

Sat, Sep 8 Waldorf
Sat, Sep 15 at Wisconsin-Platteville

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I am completely impressed how you Old Guard members strive to up each others stupidity! It must be a talent you have to prove to be a fan of an Old Guard conference. Congratulations!

Now, surely there is one of you that can even top this.... Come on, just apply yourself a little bit, you can do it!

Fact: Drake played UNI and ISU last season! So they played a couple of "easy" games.... Almost every FCS team tries to play an easy game or two....

Now children, please try again! I am actually beginning to enjoy the Old Guard Stupidity!

Admins: Please feel free to move this to the smack thread if you so desire!

GannonFan
January 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I am completely impressed how you Old Guard members strive to up each others stupidity! It must be a talent you have to prove to be a fan of an Old Guard conference. Congratulations!

Now, surely there is one of you that can even top this.... Come on, just apply yourself a little bit, you can do it!

Fact: Drake played UNI and ISU last season! So they played a couple of "easy" games.... Almost every FCS team tries to play an easy game or two....

Now children, please try again! I am actually beginning to enjoy the Old Guard Stupidity!

Admins: Please feel free to move this to the smack thread if you so desire!

Psst - the PFL are the easy games. xlolx

89Hen
January 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
He will go on to have a good NFL career in my opinion. Yeah, playing at USD and in the PFL has really hurt this kid! PLEASE crawl back into your FBS wannabee hole, and leave the intelligent discussion to folks that actually have a clue.
I'll wager you a ball cap that JJ will never get a decent shot in the NFL. Not a knock on him, but that's just the reality. As for your last comment. xnonono2x xnonox xnonono2x

uofmman1122
January 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
You are just another clueless member of the Old Guard who has no idea what he is talking about."A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

-Bertrand Russel

xwhistlex

Just to keep on topic, Josh Johnson is the man! xthumbsupx

ereiz03
January 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I'll wager you a ball cap that JJ will never get a decent shot in the NFL. Not a knock on him, but that's just the reality. As for your last comment. xnonono2x xnonox xnonono2x

What do you mean by "decent shot?" I'm looking to get a new San Francisco Giants cap, would love for you to foot the bill.

DUPFLFan
January 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
I've always wondered why most of the naysayers on the PFL are Delaware fans... xsmhx

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I've always wondered why most of the naysayers on the PFL are Delaware fans... xsmhx

And I've always wondered why the 2-3 disgruntled PFL fans here that rail about conspiracies always try to make the argument about which group of fans is "naysaying" the PFL rather than realizing that that same group of fans does not say similar things about the NEC, even though both leagues are non-scholly. Most peculiar. Couldn't have anything to do with the disparity in non-conference scheduling of the top teams from either league? A grouping of Robert Morris, Urbana, Central St., and Fordham versus a grouping of Colgate, Fordham, Hofstra, Montana, and Stony Brook. Nah, that couldn't be the reason, it has to be a conspiracy. xrolleyesx xrotatehx xcoolx

Stang Fever
January 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

How can you say that??? lets not forget they lost to UC DAVIS twice!!!

DUPFLFan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
And I've always wondered why the 2-3 disgruntled PFL fans here that rail about conspiracies always try to make the argument about which group of fans is "naysaying" the PFL rather than realizing that that same group of fans does not say similar things about the NEC, even though both leagues are non-scholly. Most peculiar. Couldn't have anything to do with the disparity in non-conference scheduling of the top teams from either league? A grouping of Robert Morris, Urbana, Central St., and Fordham versus a grouping of Colgate, Fordham, Hofstra, Montana, and Stony Brook. Nah, that couldn't be the reason, it has to be a conspiracy. xrolleyesx xrotatehx xcoolx

Easy... East coast bias. Case in point: Seems that the PFL has done pretty well in head to head competition with the NEC lately, hasn't it.xthumbsupx

Look - I'm not saying that the PFL is perfect. Lord knows we need a new commissioner that has only the PFL interests in mind. And some of our lower tier teams do need to schedule better. But most teams at all levels schedule lower level teams. I have no problem with that as long as we balance it with tougher teams. And for the most part, the upper tier teams have been (or are working toward) making their schedules tougher.

Just realize that it is a lot tougher in Iowa, Ohio and California to find FCS teams that are willing to do a home and home than it is on the east coast... No one, including your favorite team wants to play all their non-conference games on the road.

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Easy... East coast bias. Case in point: Seems that the PFL has done pretty well in head to head competition with the NEC lately, hasn't it.xthumbsupx

Look - I'm not saying that the PFL is perfect. Lord knows we need a new commissioner that has only the PFL interests in mind. And some of our lower tier teams do need to schedule better. But most teams at all levels schedule lower level teams. I have no problem with that as long as we balance it with tougher teams. And for the most part, the upper tier teams have been (or are working toward) making their schedules tougher.

Just realize that it is a lot tougher in Iowa, Ohio and California to find FCS teams that are willing to do a home and home than it is on the east coast... No one, including your favorite team wants to play all their non-conference games on the road.

Then how come the Great West teams had no problems scheduling teams over the past few years? South Dakota St has had home and homes with Northern Iowa, Georgia Southern, Central Arkansas, SFA, and so on, and even has a series with Delaware scheduled? It can be done. People were knocking on USD for the past couple of years and the Cal Poly people were saying that they were literally begging for USD to play them and they opted not to. Between the Big Sky, the Great West, the Southland, the Gateway, and even the SWAC, there are plenty of teams to play out there who are also looking for games.

As for the scheduling, hey, I agree, some teams have done it better than others. Drake is to be commended for it's two tough games but then playing an NAIA and a DIII kinda mutes that. While most other schools in FCS that frequent the playoffs may play one subdivision team, it's almost always a DII team and it's just one. Playing multiple ones, and playing even below DII is just hard to justify. And the midwest is loaded with quality DII programs so decrying the lack of possible teams doesn't cut it.

And the success against the NEC makes it even odder that the PFL doesn't schedule better more often - the top teams in the NEC schedule often schedule tough OOC games so the top teams in the PFL that are beating the NEC shouldn't have much to fear from doing the same thing, so why don't they? The games are there to be played if someone is willing, but I don't get the sense that the PFL is really willing. If they were, they would have their commissioner sing a different tune, but they appear to be content with the status quo.

Dane96
January 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Quarterbacks that will be taken ahead of Josh Johnson:

Andre Woodson
Chad Henne
Matt Ryan
Brian Brohm
John David Booty
Eric Ainge
Derrick Dixon
Colt Brennan
Joe Flacco
Toss in Sam Keller as well...for giggles.

MARK IT--- and I like the kid....but those guys have less question marks when it comes to people's jobs on the line.

Dennis Dixon, because of injury, is the only questionable guy on that list.

GOTOREROS
January 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Quarterbacks that will be taken ahead of Josh Johnson:

Andre Woodson
Chad Henne
Matt Ryan
Brian Brohm
John David Booty
Eric Ainge
Derrick Dixon
Colt Brennan
Joe Flacco
Toss in Sam Keller as well...for giggles.

MARK IT--- and I like the kid....but those guys have less question marks when it comes to people's jobs on the line.

Dennis Dixon, because of injury, is the only questionable guy on that list.

Sam Keller got ripped apart during the East-West Shrine practices. Scouts didn't like his footwork or release - not sure he gets taken ahead of JJ. I think it all comes down to the NFL combine - if JJ blows people away with his physical tools he will rocket up the chart. If he is average then your list seems reasonable...

Most NFL sites have JJ in the 3rd-4th round right now...

AggieFinn
January 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
For as good a game that JJ had even despite all the drops from the WRs, what happens when he finally goes through a full season of getting hit? Also, looking at the roster of the Shrine Game, it seems a hodgepodge of players who aren't necessarily the best of college football. I think Johnson has a good shot, but he's going to have to survive any injury bug.

Best of luck to Josh Johnson and his NFL shot.

As for the play of the PFL, I can only judge based on seeing USD play UC Davis in 2007. They're solid, but without the star quarterback, you wonder how much firepower they'll have. The Aggie offense wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders during the 2007 season and still managed to beat the Toreros with 49 points. Our DB's were horrible, our DL was banged up and young, and we were under 0.500 for the first time in 37 years, and we still managed to beat USD. It was a home game however. In 2008 we travel to the wee confines on the USD campus. That will be a more nuetral site, yet without the playmaker, you just wonder if it will be a shelling by the Ags, or a decent match.

GOTOREROS
January 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
For as good a game that JJ had even despite all the drops from the WRs, what happens when he finally goes through a full season of getting hit? Also, looking at the roster of the Shrine Game, it seems a hodgepodge of players who aren't necessarily the best of college football. I think Johnson has a good shot, but he's going to have to survive any injury bug.

Best of luck to Josh Johnson and his NFL shot.

As for the play of the PFL, I can only judge based on seeing USD play UC Davis in 2007. They're solid, but without the star quarterback, you wonder how much firepower they'll have. The Aggie offense wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders during the 2007 season and still managed to beat the Toreros with 49 points. Our DB's were horrible, our DL was banged up and young, and we were under 0.500 for the first time in 37 years, and we still managed to beat USD. It was a home game however. In 2008 we travel to the wee confines on the USD campus. That will be a more nuetral site, yet without the playmaker, you just wonder if it will be a shelling by the Ags, or a decent match.

UCD won fair an square - but our defense was missing a few starters. But that doesn't really matter for either team. All that matters is who won and UCD did on a great last drive.

JohnStOnge
January 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
How can you say that??? lets not forget they lost to UC DAVIS twice!!!

You're referring to me saying that the 2006 San Diego team was probably better than some of the automatic bid teams.

Sagarin's 2006 final ratings had San Diego rated higher than the Southland, MEAC, OVC, and Patriot League champions. Yes, Cal Davis beat them. But Cal Davis also beat Montana State, a 2006 at large playoff team that blew Furman out in the first round, 45-0.

The 2006 Southland champion, McNeese, finished 7-5 and had a loss to 5-6 Texas State.

The 2006 Patriot League champm, Lafayette, finished 6 - 6 and lost to Yale. That year, San Diego beat Yale 43-17.

When you really look at it, I think it's very reasonable to argue that San Diego was probably at least as good as some of the auto bid teams that year. They lost one game to a solid team. It happens.

89Hen
January 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
What do you mean by "decent shot?" I'm looking to get a new San Francisco Giants cap, would love for you to foot the bill.
xeyebrowx You get a UD or CAA cap. SFGiants? xnutsx :p

A decent shot means he will never start more than a couple games at best... probably won't even get that much. Again, this is in no way a slam on JJ, but that's how it goes in the NFL. There are a very few starter spots open each year and so few guys actually get a chance. Look at the Redskins this year... their young starter goes down and they bring in a guy who's been in the NFL for umpteen years and hadn't played in 10. JJ will wash-out before he gets a legit chance. xpeacex

GOTOREROS
January 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
xeyebrowx You get a UD or CAA cap. SFGiants? xnutsx :p

A decent shot means he will never start more than a couple games at best... probably won't even get that much. Again, this is in no way a slam on JJ, but that's how it goes in the NFL. There are a very few starter spots open each year and so few guys actually get a chance. Look at the Redskins this year... their young starter goes down and they bring in a guy who's been in the NFL for umpteen years and hadn't played in 10. JJ will wash-out before he gets a legit chance. xpeacex

A lot of QB's who were drafted were said to never have a shot at a decent NFL career and ended up with a very nice run. The list would be too long to name them all here. Same goes for those who were "locks" to have great NFL QB's and fizzled out. Too easy to make statements like that sometimes.

You could be right, you could be wrong. Only time will tell the truth! xnodx

Dane96
January 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Sam Keller got ripped apart during the East-West Shrine practices. Scouts didn't like his footwork or release - not sure he gets taken ahead of JJ. I think it all comes down to the NFL combine - if JJ blows people away with his physical tools he will rocket up the chart. If he is average then your list seems reasonable...

Most NFL sites have JJ in the 3rd-4th round right now...

I never liked Keller...he had one good game that I saw. I through him in based on arm strength and size...kid is like a country boy the way he plays; Big and tough.

GOTOREROS
January 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I never liked Keller...he had one good game that I saw. I through him in based on arm strength and size...kid is like a country boy the way he plays; Big and tough.

Keller has NFL size for sure - maybe they can work on his mechanics. He did well at ASU and Nebraska so he gets a shot for sure I would think.