PDA

View Full Version : East West Shrine Game

JohnStOnge
January 19th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Josh Johnson is good. He just threw two passes in a row that were incredibly well placed...including one with really nice floating touch over the top...that should've been TDs but the receivers didn't make the plays.

CoastalFan2005
January 19th, 2008, 07:23 PM
And suddenly, every San Diego poster registered on AGS replies with cries of "OMG WE TOLD U SO" and "WHERE WAS UR RESPECT WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS xbawlingx"

xlolx :D xsmiley_wix

furman94
January 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Dexter Jackson had a dissapointing -12 yard punt return. Jerome Simpson and Jerome Felton are also getting some time

bobbythekidd
January 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Dexter Jackson had a dissapointing -12 yard punt return.
Try using him as a wide receiver. He would get positive yards after 2 plays.

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I don't need to tell you "told you so" - NFL Draft Day will do that for me! It's tough to understand what you haven't seen so I understand how some feel about San Diego and Josh Johnson....

Expect the Ravens to draft Josh Johnson now that Jim Harbaugh's brother was signed as the new coach.....you think I'm kidding but I'm not....

JohnStOnge
January 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I don't need to tell you "told you so" - NFL Draft Day will do that for me! It's tough to understand what you haven't seen so I understand how some feel about San Diego and Josh Johnson....

Expect the Ravens to draft Josh Johnson now that Jim Harbaugh's brother was signed as the new coach.....you think I'm kidding but I'm not....

Right now he's the second rated FCS QB behind Flacco at http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ . However, one thing I've noticed in this game is that he varies his velocity/delivery depending on the situation. He floats it in certain situations and drills it in others. Flacco, to me, didn't look to have that kind of situational variation when I saw him. Johnson looks to me to make good, quick, smart decisions too.

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Right now he's the second rated FCS QB behind Flacco at http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ . However, one thing I've noticed in this game is that he varies his velocity/delivery depending on the situation. He floats it in certain situations and drills it in others. Flacco, to me, didn't look to have that kind of situational variation when I saw him. Johnson looks to me to make good, quick, smart decisions too.

I think Josh moves ahead of Flacco by draft day - way too much upside. Flacco is good but how much better is he really going to get? But, people said the same thing about Tom Brady so go figure.

CoastalFan2005
January 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM

That joke of a post I made whizzed right over your head, didn't it? xoopsx

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
That joke of a post I made whizzed right over your head, didn't it? xoopsx

I was responding more to others on AGS - that's why I didn't quote you. Sorry if you took it that way.....xlolx

appfan2008
January 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM
dexter is now getting some time at wr but they arent throwing it to him :(

CoastalFan2005
January 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I was responding more to others on AGS - that's why I didn't quote you. Sorry if you took it that way.....xlolx

Well, considering I used "TOLD U SO" in my post, and you used "told you so" in yours...I don't think my surmising that your post was in some part addressed to me was too far off the mark. xcoffeex xpeacex

CoastalFan2005
January 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM
dexter is now getting some time at wr but they arent throwing it to him :(

From what I've seen out of Dexter Jackson in this game, he's not doing himself any favors. That -12 yd. punt return was not good. xsmhx

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well, considering I used "TOLD U SO" in my post, and you used "told you so" in yours...I don't think my surmising that your post was in some part addressed to me was too far off the mark. xcoffeex xpeacex

No worries......it's all good.

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Andre Ware must be reading this thread, because he just said "told you so" on national TV about Josh Johnson........:D

appfan2008
January 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
these announcers sure love jj

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
What's not to love about JJ? Touchdown JJ!

JohnStOnge
January 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
these announcers sure love jj

He's good. That last TD pass was an example of what I was talking about. He varies the way in which he throws the ball based on the situation. He can drill it and he can soft lob it accurately when that's appropriate. And he's mobile.

They love him because he's a heck of a player.

appfan2008
January 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
what round are talking about for him?

appfan2008
January 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
dexter jackson!!!!!!! great catch

5th round??? wow that would be sweet

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Dexter could be a very interesting WR in the NFL - kind of reminds me of Sinorice Moss of the Redskins....

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I don't have to tell anyone that Josh Johnson was the East-West Shrine game MVP do I?

Henny
January 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I think Josh moves ahead of Flacco by draft day - way too much upside. Flacco is good but how much better is he really going to get? But, people said the same thing about Tom Brady so go figure.

UHHH, Wrong, to pass Joe he has to be the top two QB's in the draft. NFL scouts love Joe for his composure, size, excapability and rocket arm. At least wait till the Senior Bowl to make that kind of judgement.

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
UHHH, Wrong, to pass Joe he has to be the top two QB's in the draft. NFL scouts love Joe for his composure, size, excapability and rocket arm. At least wait till the Senior Bowl to make that kind of judgement.

Ok, but MVP of the East-West Shrine game is a great start for JJ....xnodx

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM

I haven't seen Flacco anywhere in the top 2 QB's for the draft. Everything I have seen is in the 6-8 range. I'd be interested to see the ranking you're talking about. Flacco is a heck of a player - I think he is better than many of the FBS QB's!

Rob Iola
January 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I agree that JJ helped himself immensely in the game, but I'd leave out the comparisons w/Flacco. The pros put a premium on size and arm strength and discount running ability for QBs. You can teach touch but you can't teach height...

GOTOREROS
January 19th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I agree that JJ helped himself immensely in the game, but I'd leave out the comparisons w/Flacco. The pros put a premium on size and arm strength and discount running ability for QBs. You can teach touch but you can't teach height...

JJ is 6'3" - not short for a QB. JJ is a better passer than runner to be honest - time will tell I guess....I am not here to take away from Flacco. He is a very good QB!

ereiz03
January 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Josh may have just increased his stock immensely after this game. He may have jumped into the Top 5 for QB's.

CarolinaGirl
January 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Dexter Jackson had a dissapointing -12 yard punt return. Jerome Simpson and Jerome Felton are also getting some time

The QB's barely even tried to throw it to Jerome. He caught two passes and the second one looked more like the QB couldn't get it where he wanted to and just kinda noticed Jerome sitting in the middle of the field wide open so he tossed it over to him. He did chase down and make a nice tackle on the DB that picked the pass intended for DJ. I really hope that game didn't affect his draft status...xsmhx

appfan2008
January 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
The QB's barely even tried to throw it to Jerome. He caught two passes and the second one looked more like the QB couldn't get it where he wanted to and just kinda noticed Jerome sitting in the middle of the field wide open so he tossed it over to him. He did chase down and make a nice tackle on the DB that picked the pass intended for DJ. I really hope that game didn't affect his draft status...xsmhx

neither jerome or dexter got thrown to enough...

UNH 40
January 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Johnson was awesome last night, he is a great football player. My gripe is with whom ever selected the east squad. The three QB's in that game for the east were Aweful. Santos should have been invited to that game, he is ten times the QB and leader that any of the east QB's in that game ever thought of being. Again I thought Josh Johnson was very impressive Congrats to him, I think he is a second or 3rd rounder and Definitely superiour to Flacco.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Let's see how the Senior Bowl goes. Flacco could rise up into the 2nd round with a solid week. Right now I give the nod to Johnson and believe he is better. If Flacco does well next week then he lays all doubts to rest. Let's wait one more week to decide who is better for sure. The proof will be in the pudding next week for Flacco.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
dexter jackson!!!!!!! great catch

5th round??? wow that would be sweet

I have a feeling that 5th round projection is too low. I have heard 3rd-4th round due to his upside. Once DJ starts to refine his skills as a WR and gets time under his belt, he could be a legit 2nd or 3rd option later in his career.

smallcollegefbfan
January 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Didn't see your post before I made mine. I agree 100%. Right now I would say JJ is right below Flacco. If Flacco does poorly at the Senior Bowl then JJ is ahead of him. If Flacco shows he belongs and plays solid in the game and practice he cements himself as a 2nd rounder for sure.

Appaholic
January 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
From what I've seen out of Dexter Jackson in this game, he's not doing himself any favors. That -12 yd. punt return was not good. xsmhx

Reminds me of most of the punt returns he had this past year.....doesn't make good choices....always trying to create something east-to-west when he needed to focus on north-to-south.....xoopsx

Rekdiver
January 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-20-pompei-insidefootballjan20,0,5386984.story?page=2

Most NFL talent evaluators sp ent the last week in Houston, where they watched practices for the East-West Shrine Game. They came away with some distinct impressions.

The all-star game featured many prospects who figure to be chosen from the third round down.

The player who might have opened more eyes than anyone was wide receiver/punt returner Dexter Jackson.

Because Jackson played at Appalachian State, this was the first time many scouts saw him in person. Their only previous exposure had been tape of him scoring against Michigan. One general manager said Jackson "played at another speed," from the other players on the practice field in Houston.

San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson also helped himself by showing he could play under center. In college, Johnson played in a spread offense that usually had him in shotgun.

"He was by far the most talented athlete of the quarterbacks here," one AFC scout said.

Another player trying to show he could make the transition to a conventional offense was Hawaii wide receiver Jason Rivers. He impressed potential employers with his ability to run all the routes. Rivers' toughness and competitiveness also stood out.

Three front-office men independently mentioned Pittsburgh's Joe Clermond as a player who helped himself. Clermond played as a down end for Dave Wannstedt, but several NFL teams wanted to see if he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4. The early results were encouraging.

A player who impressed scouts with his intensity in practices was Georgia's Thomas Brown. The running back consistently hit the hole hard and ran downfield 30 yards even if the play was stopped at the line of scrimmage. Two scouts commented on his explosiveness.

The speed of wide receiver Paul Hubbard has NFL teams questioning why he wasn't more productive at Wisconsin. Hubbard still has a chance to be picked as high as the second round.

Two quarterbacks who failed to distinguish themselves were Anthony Morelli of Penn State and Sam Keller of Nebraska. Scouts questioned Morelli's decision making and accuracy, and Keller drew criticism for a funky release and a lack of accuracy.

The Chicago Tribune

Appaholic
January 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-20-pompei-insidefootballjan20,0,5386984.story?page=2

Most NFL talent evaluators sp ent the last week in Houston, where they watched practices for the East-West Shrine Game. They came away with some distinct impressions.

The all-star game featured many prospects who figure to be chosen from the third round down.

The player who might have opened more eyes than anyone was wide receiver/punt returner Dexter Jackson.

Because Jackson played at Appalachian State, this was the first time many scouts saw him in person. Their only previous exposure had been tape of him scoring against Michigan. One general manager said Jackson "played at another speed," from the other players on the practice field in Houston.

San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson also helped himself by showing he could play under center. In college, Johnson played in a spread offense that usually had him in shotgun.

"He was by far the most talented athlete of the quarterbacks here," one AFC scout said.

Another player trying to show he could make the transition to a conventional offense was Hawaii wide receiver Jason Rivers. He impressed potential employers with his ability to run all the routes. Rivers' toughness and competitiveness also stood out.

Three front-office men independently mentioned Pittsburgh's Joe Clermond as a player who helped himself. Clermond played as a down end for Dave Wannstedt, but several NFL teams wanted to see if he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4. The early results were encouraging.

A player who impressed scouts with his intensity in practices was Georgia's Thomas Brown. The running back consistently hit the hole hard and ran downfield 30 yards even if the play was stopped at the line of scrimmage. Two scouts commented on his explosiveness.

The speed of wide receiver Paul Hubbard has NFL teams questioning why he wasn't more productive at Wisconsin. Hubbard still has a chance to be picked as high as the second round.

Two quarterbacks who failed to distinguish themselves were Anthony Morelli of Penn State and Sam Keller of Nebraska. Scouts questioned Morelli's decision making and accuracy, and Keller drew criticism for a funky release and a lack of accuracy.

The Chicago Tribune

Jackson needs to stick with WR, not punt returns.......love the guy, but he needs to know his limitations....speed is half the battle, deciding what is returnable is the other, and he has not shown good judgement at that IMO....

USDFAN_55
January 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM

The Chicago Tribune

REALLY!!! That's news to me. This guy knows nothing about the offense San Diego runs. Sounds like he is making assumptions based on his passing numbers. Fact is he played under center more than in the shotgun.

HighRyder08
January 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Jackson needs to stick with WR, not punt returns.......love the guy, but he needs to know his limitations....speed is half the battle, deciding what is returnable is the other, and he has not shown good judgement at that IMO....

i agree... i feel like if he was a PR in the NFL and tried to catch a ball that was unreturnable then he would learn REAL quick