PDA

View Full Version : Classic FCS/I-AA snow games!

schmofstra
January 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
All these AGSers getting kooky over snowfall in their region puts me in the mind of great snow games.

One bonus aspect of I-AA snow games is they're usually playoff games, so they're extra legendary.

Who here attended the 2003 UMass playoff game at Colgate in the blizzard? I watched it on TV and enjoyed it -- but I was on my couch with a blanket and a cup of hot apple cider.

And wasn't there a big snowfall for a Northern Iowa at Delaware playoff game a couple of years ago?

Let's hear some tales from the snow storybook.xreadx

TheValleyRaider
January 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Who here attended the 2003 UMass playoff game at Colgate in the blizzard? I watched it on TV and enjoyed it -- but I was on my couch with a blanket and a cup of hot apple cider.

I was there, and the Colgate-WIU blizzard game the next week also xthumbsupx

It was cold both days, but man what a good time xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
January 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Colgate has a trend...Colgate/UNH playoffs in 2005, @ UNH.

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM
1989 semi finals, Stephen F Austin at Furman. Started snowing right before the game started and ended a little before the game ended. Snowed six inches at Furman. It did not snow in Greenville five miles to the south and it did not snow above Travelers Rest 10 miles to the northxeyebrowx

Furman spotted SFA two or three touchdowns with fumbles within their own 20 yard line and lost when a two point conversation at the end of the game failed. I have hated two point conversions most of my football watching lifexnodx

89Hen
January 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
And wasn't there a big snowfall for a Northern Iowa at Delaware playoff game a couple of years ago?
It snowed about 6" the night before that game, but the field was covered so the field was fine. The problem was clearing the stands. We stayed home for that one because we're 100 miles from Newark. :(

http://www2.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2003/12/images/120603ud02.jpg

Marcus Garvey
January 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
All these AGSers getting kooky over snowfall in their region puts me in the mind of great snow games.

One bonus aspect of I-AA snow games is they're usually playoff games, so they're extra legendary.

Let's hear some tales from the snow storybook.xreadx

I loved that game. Up until that UMass loss, I had no idea how whiny some of their fans could get. Good times reading this board the week after that game! xnodx

dungeonjoe
January 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Colgate UMass in 2003?

Appaholic
January 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
1st televised "Ole Mountain Jug" game was in falling snow. Remember watching AppSt beat Western (some things never change).....Bob Waters was coaching WCU....I think Mike (not) Working was coaching App, but can't be sure......we still have not lost a televised game......xnodx

GannonFan
January 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
It snowed about 6" the night before that game, but the field was covered so the field was fine. The problem was clearing the stands. We stayed home for that one because we're 100 miles from Newark. :(

http://www2.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2003/12/images/120603ud02.jpg

Wuss!!! :p :p :p

I had to pick up my son's baptism cake for the baptism party the next day, and had to traverse the 60 some miles it takes me to get to Newark and I was there for the N. Iowa game! And yes, you had to trudge throw snow in your aisle to get to your seat, and then you had to basically dig out your seat to sit down. A thing of beauty!!!

I think there was also snow before/during/and after Delaware's legendary 49-48 win at Montana back during the Dickenson days of Griz football. And I know there was snow (albeit mainly flurries) at the UD/UConn game in '98 where Nagy threw for 556 yards and Conti had 354 receiving yards (along with 401 all purpose yards). UD had 732 yards of offense that day.

Maybe we should play in the snow more often??? xnodx

AppStWill
January 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM
1st televised "Ole Mountain Jug" game was in falling snow. Remember watching AppSt beat Western (some things never change).....Bob Waters was coaching WCU....I think Mike (not) Working was coaching App, but can't be sure......we still have not lost a televised game......xnodx

Before any GSU fans jump on you, I'll remind you that we lost to them on TV this year.....xnonono2x

terrierbob
January 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I thought our game this season was televised.

bench
January 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM

It was. SportSouth's broadcast had Sam Wyche doing color commentary D:

AppStWill
January 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Not sure xconfusedx ...I listened to it on the radio. I'm sure it will be in 2008.

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
It was. SportSouth's broadcast had Sam Wyche doing color commentary D:
And the 2005 game at Paladin Stadium was televised by CSS. xnodx

89Hen
January 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Wuss!!! :p :p :p
xnodx I've got no problem admitting that. :p

soweagle
January 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Before any GSU fans jump on you, I'll remind you that we lost to them on TV this year.....xnonono2x

I think some of our games in Statesboro have been televised that you have lost. If you are talking at home only then I think the game in 2001 was televised at the rock. This was the game that ASU stopped Peterson's 100 yd. streak.

The Moody1
January 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM

We have lost plenty of televised games, however we have never lost a game broadcast on an ESPN network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU). We had a great snow game with Furman that was broadcast on ABC back in 1980. We lost 21-20.

Homegrown Hillbilly
January 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM

It was. xdohx

Go...gate
January 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I was there, and the Colgate-WIU blizzard game the next week also xthumbsupx

It was cold both days, but man what a good time xthumbsupx

Colgate - UMass (earned a two-page "Leading Off" picture spread in Sports Illustrated) and Colgate - WIU are classics.

Colgate - BU in 1982 (Sat. after Thanksgiving), also a snow game, though not heavy snow like UMass or WIU games. Very, very cold, though.

Several other pre I-AA snow games as well involving Colgate.

RadMann
January 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think there was also snow before/during/and after Delaware's legendary 49-48 win at Montana back during the Dickenson days of Griz football.

Maybe we should play in the snow more often??? xnodx

I have that '93 UD - Montana playoff game on DVD and there was light flurries a few times during the game, but it was mostly clear. That game was unreal. I still watch it once in a while, great back-and-forth battle.

ngineer
January 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Wish I had a snow story, of any substance that is. Several with some light snow coating the field from night before, and some with flurries, but for some reason we haven't had to play in a 'dump' of snow that I know of. We have played in some brutal cold, however.

Ivytalk
January 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I don't remember a Harvard-Yale game in the snow. Frigid ones and rainy ones, yes. But snow? bulldog10jw?xconfusedx

TheValleyRaider
January 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Colgate - UMass (earned a two-page "Leading Off" picture spread in Sports Illustrated) and Colgate - WIU are classics.

I still have that issue xnodx xreadx

I'm sure you know, but there's also a blown up version of it in the lobby of the Athletic Center xbowx

Great memories xthumbsupx

Zoo
January 19th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Appalachian State - Furman was broadcasted on ABC?

Fresno St. Alum
January 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM
can I see some pics of these games? As a Packer fan I love to see snow games. Thanks for your pic Hen

TheValleyRaider
January 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I know it's big, but it's a good one of the Colgate-WIU game

http://people.colgate.edu/dwon/football5.jpg

The SI picture is in the issue from December 8, 2003 (it's got a Rams lineman on the cover and includes a story about Curt Schilling signing with Boston)

TheValleyRaider
January 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM
A little smaller, but a fun one from the UMass game (courtesy of the UMass Band website)

http://www.powerandclass.info/ummb_2003/pix2003/11-29-colgate/DSC_0812.jpg

They've got a nice gallery with some other good atmosphere shots here: http://www.powerandclass.info/ummb_2003/11-29-colgate.html

colorless raider
January 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Good job Umass band. Great job Raiders on the field!

Gater
January 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Here is the SI photo of Colgate vs. UMASS. I went to the Western Illinois- Colgate game the next week. Best game I've ever seen in person.

pbr1893
January 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I remember that game! The announcer said something like, "I'm in Boone,NC...it's October and it's snowing! The place was covered and they kept showing Howard's Knob in the backround. (note to all perverts...Howard's Knob is a mountain and not a person and his manhood.) I looked at all my friends and said,"That's where I'm going to school!" I was twelve. I did go!xthumbsupx

The Moody1
January 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Yes, back then ABC had us on as the regional game of the week.

The Moody1
January 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I remember that game! The announcer said something like, "I'm in Boone,NC...it's October and it's snowing! The place was covered and they kept showing Howard's Knob in the backround. (note to all perverts...Howard's Knob is a mountain and not a person and his manhood.) I looked at all my friends and said,"That's where I'm going to school!" I was twelve. I did go!xthumbsupx

I was a freshman and it was homecoming. The weather started out ok, but after half-time it really started coming down. I think the temp must have dropped twenty degrees during the game.

schmofstra
January 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Hmm, a mountain? I believe, therefore, that Howard's Knob was defamed in this thread:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35064 xchinscratchx

And in this one:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35112&highlight=wall xbangx

Our bad!xoopsx

PhantomCAT
January 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
CAT-griz game in 2002. Snowed like a bugger in Missoula. Temps in the low teens. CATS broke the streak and whipped the griz 10-7. Score may not look like much, but the statistics show that it was an ass whipin!xthumbsupx

PeacockRaider
January 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Was @ the Colgate Umass 03 game, you could tell the Umass players didn't want any part of that weather. Tailgating was tough but powered through it.

Was supposed to go the following week against WIU but due to the size of the storm we cancelled hotel reservations and watched on espn plus.

Also @ Colgate UNH '05, game really didnt compare to the other two, was hoping it would of snowed more to help gate out.

Go...gate
January 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I still have that issue xnodx xreadx

I'm sure you know, but there's also a blown up version of it in the lobby of the Athletic Center xbowx

Great memories xthumbsupx

I do. That photo is iconic.

CopperCat
January 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
CAT-griz game in 2002. Snowed like a bugger in Missoula. Temps in the low teens. CATS broke the streak and whipped the griz 10-7. Score may not look like much, but the statistics show that it was an ass whipin!xthumbsupx

Damn, you beat me to it.

grizband
January 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
One of the worst games I have ever seen. Blizzard conditions in Missoula that day prevented anything resembling an offense from hitting the field for the Griz, and the Cats didn't fare much better.

DuckDuckGriz
January 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Speaking of ass whippins I believe there was some snow dusting the field in 95 and 96 when Dickenson and Ah Yat treated the Bobcat secondaries like toys. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx ;)

However that 2002 game - I don't know how the west side of the stadium sat through it. The wind and snow was blowing right in their face - you could barely see either endzone.

yosef1969
January 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
1987 2nd round of playoffs vs Ga Southern
ASU came away with a 19-0 victory (a rare win much less shutout against GSU)!
Snowballs were hurled from stands at refs for any questionable calls.xnonox Not condoning, just reporting the facts.xnodx