PDA

View Full Version : 2024 Youngstown St. Preseason

Paladin1aa
July 24th, 2024, 10:39 AM
YSU opens football camp next Monday. I thought I’d start taking a look at their prospects for 2024 and confirm my thoughts after reviewing who shows up next week. YSU finished tied for third last year in the MVFC and made the playoffs .

YSU faces 2 glaring problems if it wishes to have a good season - first their QB recruiting under the current coach has been abysmal and they have a poor QB room this year with a low talent backup who projects to start and second, their starting D was totally destroyed by the portal as they return only one part time starter.

YSU was projected to finish 7th in the 11 team MVFC this year. That’s a fair assessment. With a 12 game schedule, I project them to win 2 games OOC ( Valpo, Duquesne) and lose 2 (Villanova, Pitt) before they open the MVFC.

Paladin1aa
July 24th, 2024, 01:56 PM
YSU returns 1st team All MVFC RB Tyshon King who ran for over 1000 yds last year. They also return OL Jaison Williams , a PreSeason 1st team MVFC selection and 2nd team PreSeason selection WR Max Tomczak. They return their OL as well. At RB, YSU is stacked with 4 solid RBs.

The expectation is YSU will feature a strong run game. They will also use a dual threat QB who runs well but lacks a good arm. I expect they will feature play action passing as well as a short pass game using underneath patterns. TEs will also feature in the short pass game.

YSU kick game should also be solid. They have an experienced punter who kicks for both distance and ball placement inside the 10 yd. Line. YSU also had PreSeason Honorable Mention MVFC place kicker and Long Snapper.

As long as YSU has limited injuries on O, they will move the ball and should score in the Red Zone, running, passing or kicking the ball. The question is will they score enough to win with what looks to be a porous D that may give up lots of points.

Im not ready for a final prediction of record pending a review of the opposition, but early outlook is for possible 5-7 or 6-6 season. Hard to image better than that, but till more info on MVFC teams it’s sketchy looking beyond the projected 2-2 OOC schedule.

Paladin1aa
July 25th, 2024, 12:13 PM
YSU continues to shoot itself in the foot. This years roster shows 28 athletes from the Mahoning Valley, a terrible waste of schollies. The Valley produces a bumper crop of D-II and D-III athletes but few D-I athletes anymore. By contrast, this roster shows only 4 players from Florida with 2 of them coming as transfers from the portal, a far cry from the glory days of yesteryear. Avoiding the goldmine in Florida combined with wasting schollies on Valley players continues to doom YSU from challenging the top in the MVFC. Clearly the program is better than 90% of FCS but that won’t cut it in the MVFC.

Also the monster class of 3 years ago has dwindled off , losing players to academics, injury, discipline, etc. The Coach shows an appalling failure to recruit in his other classes to compete for the top spot in the league. While they haven’t hit bottom, they are mired in the lower half of the league and show poor decisions on where and who they recruit. This year looks to be an example of his mistakes.

The Yo Show
July 25th, 2024, 12:51 PM
Paladin, YSU has a better shot of beating Pitt than Villanova and I guarantee that. I actually think 3-1 is possible with the win being over Pitt. The Villanova game is going to be a barometer for the year, if YSU win's that game my optimism is going to go up, lose and its more in line with what I am expecting. Certainly 2-2 OOC is likely, but I really think YSU goes 3-1 losing to Villanova but upsetting Pitt.

The Yo Show
July 25th, 2024, 12:52 PM
Early showing from the spring game, the defense appears improved despite losing alot... just my two cents.

Paladin1aa
July 25th, 2024, 01:23 PM
Yo - to be sure, Pitt should be down , losing a lot of talent themselves. But Mano a Mano, they have the better athletes. We don’t have a QB to challenge them either and the D is not improved, in my opinion. Spring game was strictly vanilla and showed we still have weaknesses. Frankly, I see nothing that improves a pass rush leaving our DBs exposed as too much time will be given to throw and pass coverage remains spotty. The DC is going to be under a glaring eye. Also the DBs we brought in from the portal are not impressive.

I had expected a better game this year with Nova, but not after we got hammered in the portal losing virtually all the D and several starters to Power 5 programs. Expected Nova to be good and they are picked to win their league but thought if we returned our D we could stay with them. Not now.

The Yo Show
July 26th, 2024, 12:24 PM
The Sagarin and Massey predictions show the season opener against Villanova within 1% as unwinnable as the game against Pitt. I will reiterate my thoughts, I think the Nova game is actually going to be a more difficult game than the Pitt game with as much turmoil is going on with Pitt (not downplaying them though either, they are for sure a tough out, but its weird when your FBS game is arguably not the hardest game on your OOC schedule xdrunkyx

Paladin1aa
July 27th, 2024, 08:41 AM
Here’s a thought straight from our “cheerleader board” -

one of the armchair coaches thought our DBs looked better in the Spring game than last years starters.

Hello ?

Two points - one, if the Spring game starters looked so good why didn’t they beat out and start in place of last years starters who were “bad”"………………… and two, the Spring game showed we don’t have a decent QB, one who is accurate,doesn’t overthrow or under throw their passes, completes passes and reads the field well against coverage. Of course the DBs looked good. They didn’t have to do much !

I forgot. This is Youngstown where we produce outstanding h.s. Players ( just not D-I) and great coaches who are native to the area. Is another national powerhouse just around the corner or another outhouse ? :D

The Yo Show
July 27th, 2024, 10:01 AM
Paladin, I think it is fair to be skeptical of the secondary having new faces, but in the same manner, I do think they look improved. One game is a small sample size. Heres the thing too, to answer your question of why they didn't start last year, some of the secondary are transfers (not sure how good they are), so they weren't even playing at YSU last year. Second point though, if we have a developmental program that DP likes to say we are, then it is possible that they weren't better than what we had last year, but now that they are sophomores or juniors they are? Or was bad coaching decisions last year to stick with the DBs as the starters? Any of these are possibilities.

Last year's secondary had a worse year than the year previous despite returning so much, so why don't we ask why that was too? It was kind of a strange thing in my opinion.

Paladin1aa
July 29th, 2024, 08:37 AM
Only one surprise the first day as we add a transfer WR from Charlotte/South Dakota who played at both schools. Not sure if we have anything. He has jumped already at 2 schools.

Otherwise, the grind starts.

Paladin1aa
July 29th, 2024, 03:17 PM
First day thoughts - we are BIG. Huge. We return 4 of 5 OL starters. Need a C, My first guess is Keen, a member of the Monster class probably slides in here. OT Williams has been named an All American on STATS team.

We are deep at RB, lots of depth. We are stacked at all 3 WR slots. Lots of depth here. No QB, go figure,lol.

The D is working but too early to get a good overall evaluation. May see some new faces that leapfrog some holdovers.

It’s HOT out. The WATTs will get a workout,lol.

The Yo Show
July 30th, 2024, 01:49 PM
First day thoughts - we are BIG. Huge. We return 4 of 5 OL starters. Need a C, My first guess is Keen, a member of the Monster class probably slides in here. OT Williams has been named an All American on STATS team.

We are deep at RB, lots of depth. We are stacked at all 3 WR slots. Lots of depth here. No QB, go figure,lol.

The D is working but too early to get a good overall evaluation. May see some new faces that leapfrog some holdovers.

It’s HOT out. The WATTs will get a workout,lol.

OL is definitely good size...
Jaison Williams (6’4″ 315 lbs), Aidan Parker (6’2″ 300 lbs), David Metzler (6’5″ 310 lbs), and Desmeal Leigh (6’7″ 320 lbs).

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2024, 10:25 AM
Checking out MVFC teams. Here’s my take on projecting YSU in the MVFC - the first 4 games mean nothing regarding MVFC as we will lose Nova and Pitt , no question, while stomping Valpo and Duquesne. The telltale game is the MVFC opener - MoST. Looking at them , they may only win 4 games overall, lack good personnel and injuries might make them even worse. If YSU loses this game, they will get steamrolled in the MVFC, winning 5 games at best( and with injuries could win fewer games) but beat MoST and 6 wins should be there. It’s a pipe dream to see 7 wins.

Ill also challenge comments about last years D. YSU was ranked in a number of categories last year on D, even with the obvious problems, and they won 8 games. Made the playoffs. You don’t do that with a bad D. Many of the players got picked up by P5 programs. I’m struggling to see better players here this year. Not impressed by holdovers or transfers in. If I’m right, the case is building for a losing record this year. MoST, in my eyes , becomes the season predictor, not Nova or any other game. We will be 2-2 going into MoST. The new DC has his hands full.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2024, 10:37 AM
OT Williams adds another All American honor as 2nd team Sports Illustrated FCS Football Central selection.

Well earned. However I see him possibly making the Pros by moving inside to OG. He is short at 6’4, but very quick.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2024, 08:56 PM
We just added a late recruit transfer DB from Indiana St. Player is from Florida. Extensive playing background.

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2024, 12:42 PM
This will be a year where we use both a QB and a Wildcat QB. Unfortunately both will run better than they pass ! 😎

it appears we have good OL starters. We will be tough. However, we have NO depth .

The Yo Show
August 5th, 2024, 01:24 PM
Paladin, was that a general no depth or more towards OL? I think there are a few positions that there is arguably good depth on (RB is one that comes to mind).

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2024, 02:02 PM
Paladin, was that a general no depth or more towards OL? I think there are a few positions that there is arguably good depth on (RB is one that comes to mind).

Yo - yes. We have little depth on the OL. We are deep at RB and WR. We are young at TE but do have a starter back and a transfer that can block. Don’t ask about QB……..lol

The Yo Show
August 5th, 2024, 02:21 PM
I do think the experienced starting oline is going to be a team strength provided no one gets hurt.

The Yo Show
August 6th, 2024, 05:19 PM
Checking out MVFC teams. Here’s my take on projecting YSU in the MVFC - the first 4 games mean nothing regarding MVFC as we will lose Nova and Pitt , no question, while stomping Valpo and Duquesne. The telltale game is the MVFC opener - MoST. Looking at them , they may only win 4 games overall, lack good personnel and injuries might make them even worse. If YSU loses this game, they will get steamrolled in the MVFC, winning 5 games at best( and with injuries could win fewer games) but beat MoST and 6 wins should be there. It’s a pipe dream to see 7 wins.

Ill also challenge comments about last years D. YSU was ranked in a number of categories last year on D, even with the obvious problems, and they won 8 games. Made the playoffs. You don’t do that with a bad D. Many of the players got picked up by P5 programs. I’m struggling to see better players here this year. Not impressed by holdovers or transfers in. If I’m right, the case is building for a losing record this year. MoST, in my eyes , becomes the season predictor, not Nova or any other game. We will be 2-2 going into MoST. The new DC has his hands full.

Usually you hit the ysu message board for being too optimistic but multiple posters on there are predicting 6-6 or worse for the season.

Paladin1aa
August 6th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Usually you hit the ysu message board for being too optimistic but multiple posters on there are predicting 6-6 or worse for the season.

They are reading my posts here,lol. There are 10 YSU fans here showing as YSU fans that post on the other board and probably much more than that since many don’t show a screen name here.

But at least they get what I’ve been saying - we don’t have a QB and we lost the entire D. Schedule has lots of tough road games and the MVFC ranks YSU 7th in the 11 team league. It is what it is.

Of interest is the breakdown on D - we have 14 LBs where we appear to have quality , we have 23 DBs ( TWENTY THREE!) on the roster showing we added lots of new players ( translation - they didn’t have any confidence in returners). They also have 18 DL with lots of new players. Same story. The coach said he is confident about this years team.

Hint - he lies !

Paladin1aa
August 9th, 2024, 10:36 AM
The secondary is really ragged. Only one clear starter stands out - Castleberry. The other starters will come from a collection of 6-8 guys with no one sticking out in ability. Fair to say some transfers work their way in here, part from experience, part from a little better cover skills. Huge waste of schollies in this group.

Paladin1aa
August 13th, 2024, 02:37 PM
YSU held a scrimmage and confirmed current outlook. The O ripped the D pretty good scoring at will both on the ground and throwing. Passing game was play actions, short or underneath with poor secondary coverage. While YSU O will probably move the ball this year, they will face much stronger D teams. YSU D probably won’t stop anyone and expect them to give up a lot of points in games. Kicking game is excellent but that won’t mean much if your D can’t stop anyone and you struggle on O against good Ds. QB and D problems continue.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2024, 02:26 PM
If this season looks problematic, the MVFC schedules for ‘25 and ‘26 are out. DP will need to recruit his arse off. Both years have -

South Dakota St.
North Dakota St
North Dakota
UNI
Illinois St.
So. Illinois
Indiana St.
Murray St.

If he doesn’t have a QB or D this year, they look to be in trouble next couple of years with their poor recruiting.

Paladin1aa
August 19th, 2024, 02:20 PM
Looking ahead to the Nova game, I expect YSU to be a 2 TD underdog against them and maybe more. Our D is just awful. Will not stop the run or pass this year.

That means all the pressure to keep YSU in a game will fall on the O. And that means the QB will be the focal point. I’ve written on this before, extensively, and expect they will start Brungard. That will be a mistake. While he is a strong runner, passing is not his strong suit. Also a running QB today is open to greater threat from injury . YSU should generate a strong run game with King and at least 4 other capable backups. With the O they run, a more valuable QB is a strong passer, not runner. That will force Ds to play balanced and not load the box. Here, by my evaluation, they should play Schondelmyer who has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in passing ability. He lacks experience but has 2 weenie games sandwiched between Nova and the FBS money game. That gives him four game to prep for the MVFC. Shannon is the mirror image of Brungard as a runner/weak passer while Blanc is the mirror of Schondelmyer as a better passer/Weak runner. The goal here is to set the program up with a QB of the future that develops into a program weapon. Limited upside with all except for Schondelmyer. If you are trying to complement your strong run game with a passing QB, he is it.

The Yo Show
August 20th, 2024, 02:24 PM
Beau officially named the starter.

Paladin1aa
August 21st, 2024, 01:01 PM
Beau officially named the starter.

Thats too bad. The nepotism continues at YSU. It will be interesting to see the game notes next week to see the listed starters/backups in two deeps. We have a serious ongoing problem that effects the program.

Since Tressel left and the current Bozo was named his replacement at AD, the whole YSU dynamic has been politically corrupted. I laugh at all who proclaim Tressel recruited the Valley heavy. Actually , he didn’t. He knew the quality of player was declining so he rarely recruited more than one or two Frosh each year. The exception to this was his active recruitment of players TRANSFERRING back home from FBS programs where they were not getting playing time . That’s where he loaded up on Valley players. He also put a premium on recruiting players from Florida. That’s gone now. Coaches are pressured to recruit the Valley, back off of recruiting Florida and are under pressure to play the Valley players. Wolf bucked that and it was one of the reasons he got canned. Phillips also tried to back off this early on, but has fallen in line with local expectations. There is an awfully long, long, long, long list of local players who were recruited here, played little,some transferred out and down to play or stayed completing their degree while contributing little in playing ability.

This QB snafu has been repeated before here. Brungard is the son of a legacy player who QBed 2 National Champs. The son is not the Dad. But the same problem exists for selection of a Head Coach, if he isn’t from the Valley, he won’t get hired. The magic of Tressel is he knew this place well and snookered his way around the local politics. Suddenly a guy from the west suburbs of Cleveland was a “Valley” guy and transfers from the Valley were players he actively recruited here from H.S.

One of the real failures since Tressel is the recruiting of QBs. YSU has been QB poor. The same will be not playing a QB of ability who will simply hit the portal and get recruited by a larger program ,leaving behind the void of poor QBs for the program to continue to suffer with.

Only in Youngstown,lol

The Yo Show
August 22nd, 2024, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what Vegas knows that I don't, but Vegas set the line for the YSU-Nova game at Nova -4.5... which given home field advantage is almost saying they expect the game to be very close. I was thinking Nova would win by 10 or more if they do win.

Paladin1aa
August 22nd, 2024, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what Vegas knows that I don't, but Vegas set the line for the YSU-Nova game at Nova -4.5... which given home field advantage is almost saying they expect the game to be very close. I was thinking Nova would win by 10 or more if they do win.

And Massey shows a 62% chance of winning at 29-24. Maybe they are working off Massey. I would have thought 10 also preseason, but with a weak D and QB problems, 14 points looks more realistic.

What do other YSU fans think ?

centraljerseycat
August 22nd, 2024, 01:47 PM
And Massey shows a 62% chance of winning at 29-24. Maybe they are working off Massey. I would have thought 10 also preseason, but with a weak D and QB problems, 14 points looks more realistic.

I don't know what to expect. You may have a weak defense and Nova is home but Cats also lost their top 3 running backs and 2 best receivers to graduation. Our 6th year QB does return as does a solid defense. I think Nova wins but a 14 point margin is too much though.

BeamMeUp
August 23rd, 2024, 06:35 AM

After watching us against them last year manhandle us, it is hard to think this game will be within 4-5 points. I'd say 10-14 point Nova edge based on what is being brought back on each side. Hopefully Vegas knows something that we don't know.

BEAMMEUP

Paladin1aa
August 27th, 2024, 03:32 PM
Game notes are out for the Villanova game and the preseason is quickly coming to a close. First game is Thursday. Time for my annual prediction for YSU.

Game notes reveal some surprises, especially at the two deeps. As expected , many of the transfers will start and I’m sure that’s going to rub some holdovers the wrong way. Additionally, 5 Captains were elected but 2 will not start. The QB position still looks rocky as they project to start Beau and the D looks like Swiss cheese, holes and all.

Based on schedule I project losses for Nova, Pitt, SDSU for sure. Wins against Valpo, Duquesne and ISUb . That leaves some toss up games with several on the road. Based on all that and more with other personnel problems I’m projecting 5-7 and no playoffs.

I welcome other viewpoints.

The Yo Show
August 27th, 2024, 07:03 PM
Personally I see 6-6 as the floor with 8-4 being possible... So 7-5 is most likely