PDA

View Full Version : Best player gained from the portal or as a transfer?

UpstateBison
June 26th, 2024, 09:36 PM
For NDSU, Brayden Thomas, he was a beast on the Dline from MSU-Mankato. So overlooked. I am sure I am missing someone. Sorry Jeremy Kelly.

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2024, 11:14 PM
Furman

Pre-Portal Era (prior to the 2019 Season)…
Ingle Martin, QB & Punter from SEC’s Florida Gators - In 2005, Martin was a Division I FCS first-team All-American selection at quarterback by The Sports Network, and earned first-team All-American honors as a punter from 1-AA.org. He also won All-Southern Conference first-team honors at both quarterback and punter. Martin was named All-South Carolina as a quarterback by the South Carolina state sportswriters. He also won, Furman's Vince Perone (team most valuable player) Award following his senior season.

Portal Era…
Tyler Huff, QB from Presbyterian (currently @ Jacksonville State for his final 6th season after completing his Masters degree at Furman)
Honors & Awards
2023 Preseason All-Southern Conference (2nd Team), Team Co-Captain, Southern Conference Academic Honor Roll

Mercer

Pre-Portal Era…
FUBeAR Jr., OG from Air Force - All-Southern Conference 2014
(There may be others equally, or even more, deserving, but FUBeAR is hopelessly biased and gonna stick with this story)

(For you hard-core Mercer Fans thinking about other All- Conference Transfers … RB’s Alex Lakes and Tee Mitchell were both Air Force PREP, so, technically, NOT transfers. Also, P Matt Shiel was about 35 years old and transferred from some Pub-affiliated Aussie Rules Team (something like that). So we can!t count him either. TBH, OL & DL Bret Niederreither is certainly deserving of this accolade, but he has 3 negatives working against him 1) name too hard to spell, 2) transferred from Temple, and 3) he’s from Pennsylvania…so…nah. Austin Sanders, OL transfer from MVSU, would be in the running as well, but if it’s not gonna be Niederreither, we can’t go with Sanders. Sticking with FUBeAR Jr.)

Portal Era… (4-way Tie…sorry)
Jason Poe - OG from D2 Lenoir-Rhyne - All SoCon - 3 years on NFL rosters (so far) - 49ers, Jets, Eagles
Fred Payne - QB from Coastal Carolina - prolly All SoCon, not gonna look it up
Ty James - WR from Georgia - All SoCon - currently with the Vikings
Devron Harper - WR/RS from Gardner Webb - also currently with the Vikings

Tribe4SF
June 27th, 2024, 06:01 AM
For W&M it's probably Jonathan Hammond, DE/Edge who was 4-time All-PFL at Davidson.

Uncle Rico
June 27th, 2024, 06:34 AM
For sure Streveler for the Yotes. He would be an easy number 2 on pretty much any NFL roster and a chance to be the starter in the right situation.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

bonarae
June 27th, 2024, 06:59 AM
Harvard: Clifton Dawson, RB, played for us for four years in the mid-2000s. After he redshirted somewhere else (Northwestern Chicago I believe, can't remember now), he transferred to us and rewrote the record book, at least in rushing, to some extent.

Can't think of anyone for ETSU, UC Davis and St. Thomas.

Outsider1
June 27th, 2024, 08:30 AM
I think we are up to around 14 FBS transfers this year. I am not sure of the exact top one yet. We have several key players at key positions and both our RB and WR rooms look pretty good. The one I am watching closely though is QB transfer Carson Haggard from Tulane, who could edge himself up on the competition against veteran QB Maverick McIvor, who came to us from Tech a couple of years ago.

ElCid
June 27th, 2024, 09:08 AM
We obviously don't get many transfers except some graduate students.

Not sure if the intent was historical or just for this upcoming season. For this season we got a pretty good QB from the portal, Johnathan Bennett.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel/the-citadel-spring-football-practice-johnathan-bennett/article_221bea9e-d7ee-11ee-9380-cf20eab9e73f.html.

He did well at Liberty, starting one season and scoring a couple P5 wins. He is from the low country so it was like coming home for him. Hopefully he can fill a gap we need to get back on track until we can grow a QB from the ranks.

Outsider1
June 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Historically, I think there are two transfers that could battle for one of the best and both came from the lower ranks. WR Johnny Knox came to us from Tyler College and later went on to have a short but great NFL career at Chicago. RB Bernard Scott came to us from Blinn after a stint at Central Arkansas and ended up in the NFL at Cincinnati. Both of them were electric to watch. If you can remember the record breaking, all out offensive, 93-68 ACU vs West Texas A&M 2nd round DII playoff game, then they were a large reason why.

KPSUL
June 27th, 2024, 11:48 AM
Best player form the portal 2024 @ UNH: DB Wande Owens, 2 time 1st Team All Ivy from Yale.

Div 2 transfers to watch: Seth Morgan QB from Shepherd (previously VMI)
Jacoby Sherard DT from Shippensburg

POD Knows
June 27th, 2024, 11:55 AM
For NDSU, Brayden Thomas, he was a beast on the Dline from MSU-Mankato. So overlooked. I am sure I am missing someone. Sorry Jeremy Kelly.Tamerick Williams from SMU was decent.

McCowboys
June 28th, 2024, 06:33 AM
I guess the record is still out and we won't know how things shake out until the season kicks off, but on paper I think most McNeese fans would say Clifton McDowell is that player.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLDnVxhXIAAoodF?format=jpg&name=small

Gil Dobie
June 28th, 2024, 06:41 AM
Tamerick Williams from SMU was decent.

As was King Frazier.

ST_Lawson
June 28th, 2024, 08:23 AM
Ever?...for us it's gotta be Aaron Stecker. He was at Wisconsin for two years, where he was set to be their #1 RB...until eventual Heisman winner Ron Dayne showed up. To get more playing time, Stecker transferred to WIU, where he ran for 3,799 yards in just two seasons, including a record-breaking 1,957 yards and 24 TDs in 1997. That rushing record would stand as a Gateway/Missouri Valley Conference record for 15 years until Zach Zenner showed up at SDSU. Stecker finished 2nd in Payton Award voting in 1997 and was named Gateway Offensive POY and Newcomer of the Year. He ended up playing for a year in NFL Europe where he was the league's offensive POY in 2000, then put in 10 years in the NFL with Tampa Bay, New Orleans, and Atlanta.

Milktruck74
June 28th, 2024, 12:54 PM
Not sure if this is suppose to be a historically themed post or current?

For the Mocs historically, I'd say it would hard to not say Jay Pearson from App State. Back to Back DPOY in the SoCon. Seems like the last guy to do that was my old prep school teammate Dexter Coakley (his were national POYs...but still) and he was at App State at the time. Of course MArio Greer in the 90s from clemson was solid, BJ Coleman from UT was helped to change the trajectory of the entire program, Chase Artoepeus from UCLA is looking to make some waves this year...

But if you are talking about the guy that got picked up this past off season, I'm hearing it is EDGE Joseph Bakhole out of ULM or WR Chris Domercant from Stonehill. I also here some pretty solid reports about RB Justus Durant from D2 Shorter.