PDA

View Full Version : SFA cancels games with MSU

wapiti
May 30th, 2024, 01:16 PM
From Montana State Director of Athletics Leon Costello:

On Friday, May 24, I received notification from Stephen F. Austin State University Athletic Director Michael McBroom that SFASU would be cancelling the football series with MSU, including a home game this year (Sept. 14) and the road game in 2025 (Sept. 13). This development is disappointing and disturbing given the 2024 Bobcat Football season kicks off in less than three months.

Since receiving this notification, my priority has been to replace the game for this year, knowing the options were extremely limited given the timing. Fortunately, we were able to sign a contract with Mercyhurst University, an FCS school from the Northeast Conference, for a game on Sept. 21, 2024. I understand the effects of this change are wide-ranging and not ideal for our fans who have already made plans to attend a home game on a different date. However, adding this game gives us the opportunity to maintain a six-game home schedule with a full 12-game schedule for the 2024 season. That is important for many reasons, particularly FCS playoff considerations.

Bobcat fans are the best in the FCS, and I share your extreme disappointment in dealing with this late change to our 2024 schedule. While our options to replace the game were very limited, we are grateful to everyone at Mercyhurst and their willingness to work with us and we look forward to hosting them in September.

About Mercyhurst Football:

Mercyhurst University is a Catholic comprehensive institution in Erie, Pennsylvania.

Lakers Athletics begins competition in NCAA Division I in 2024-25, including the football program playing its first season as an FCS program in the Northeast Conference.

Montana State’s only contest against a current NEC member was a 47-24 win against Wagner in 2018, and the Cats beat Bryant, then an NEC school, 27-24 in 2016.

The Lakers’ game at MSU on Sept. 21 marks the program’s first game west of the Mississippi River.

uofmman1122
May 30th, 2024, 01:33 PM
Something tells me MSU isn't going to get a ton of sympathy from fans on here lol

taper
May 30th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Something tells me MSU isn't going to get a ton of sympathy from fans on here lol
You got that right. I still remember 2013 when MSU did the exact same thing to NDSU. Karma, female dog, etc.

wapiti
May 30th, 2024, 02:02 PM
I do not think they are looking for sympathy.

Just some news that can be talked about in the off season.

Now that it has happened to my team I am more perplexed why NDSU fans were so but-hurt when MSU did it to them.

It's disappointing, but nothing to get angry about.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2024, 02:33 PM
I will say this about SFA, when they left the WAC and UAC, they LEFT! Not one WAC or UAC football game on the schedule.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiYp9T07V4YX-aOAU6rPiG3zrkPcQhY1y5MRyX-4qd6DAHkf8W1sEau23OhKD4-hAcNp36mvxV_loYfMS4HhYXw_0DHVXldSQn64wFR-D6orLvNQINWde0LRlGHhcXUgiczWzBq7nmG_Cha6KDR-2qPoMzkRF8L33-Yr2qsC7NygNUkMNnioUjEt7ruvwA6/w496-h507/sfa.jpg

MSUBobcat
May 30th, 2024, 03:23 PM
I am still trying to figure out how you got another game scheduled so quick when we haven't even received any formal announcement about the cancellation. We just know it's coming and probably won't hear anything about a replacement for at least 3 months and it will either be NAIA or DII. That's what p!sses me off, not you posting. I am glad you have people who actually communicate and can get games schedule quickly. Our people will try, but just not a lot of options in our area, as well as very expensive to both fly and bus them both to Abilene, TX.

It says MSU was informed last Friday. Mercyhurst, being a move-up, seems to have massive holes in their schedule (including that 10/5 game that SFA was supposed to have with ACU).

I also am not all that worked up over it. Our OOC SOS will take a hit, but not a massive one unless SFA is much improved. I assume there will be some form of buyout compensation, which presumably would more than cover paying Mercyhurst to come out. So SOS down slightly, athletic department coffers up slightly. Life goes on. Definitely not something that I'll stew on for over a decade.....xcoffeex

JALMOND
May 30th, 2024, 03:59 PM
It says MSU was informed last Friday. Mercyhurst, being a move-up, seems to have massive holes in their schedule (including that 10/5 game that SFA was supposed to have with ACU).

I also am not all that worked up over it. Our OOC SOS will take a hit, but not a massive one unless SFA is much improved. I assume there will be some form of buyout compensation, which presumably would more than cover paying Mercyhurst to come out. So SOS down slightly, athletic department coffers up slightly. Life goes on. Definitely not something that I'll stew on for over a decade.....xcoffeex

Rocky wasn't available? xsmiley_wix

It is right in the midst of the conference season, but it would have been a great opportunity, considering we beat you in basketball this past season. xlolxxthumbsupx

bonarae
May 30th, 2024, 07:09 PM
Why didn't the Bozeman Wildcats consider an Ivy who hasn't announced their full schedule as of now? xchinscratchx xeyebrowx

OhioHen
May 31st, 2024, 06:46 AM
Why didn't the Bozeman Wildcats consider an Ivy who hasn't announced their full schedule as of now? xchinscratchx xeyebrowx
Who says they didn't? Just because Mercyhurst was announced quickly does not mean they were the only school in the discussion.

bobcathpdevil56
May 31st, 2024, 09:38 AM

If only there was an organized series of games where all the top teams could play each other and determine who is the best. I just wish the Ivy league could prove how good they are, but without an organized way to do it, there is just no way.

Pards Rule
June 3rd, 2024, 10:48 AM

What Ivy (ies) have a hole on that date?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 3rd, 2024, 11:46 AM
Seeing some other possible PL or NEC opportunities IF they are willing to come play...

Lehigh has a double bye in October which to me is ill-advised and could probably rework a couple of things. However, for a program which has sunk to the depths where the very worst in FCS reside, starting the season with demoralizing losses to Army and MSU is the last thing Lehigh football needs at this point.

Pards Rule
June 3rd, 2024, 11:53 AM
Lehigh has a double bye in October which to me is ill-advised and could probably rework a couple of things. However, for a program which has sunk to the depths where the very worst in FCS reside, starting the season with demoralizing losses to Army and MSU is the last thing Lehigh football needs at this point.

True...I was worried about starting last season that way with losses to SHU and Duke. But we got intercept with mere seconds left in our end zone on 4th down. They had a 1st and 10 at our 4 vs SHU. Coach Troxell told me he was very proud of that Dstand! He of course is a former Pard Dback.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 3rd, 2024, 12:38 PM
True...I was worried about starting last season that way with losses to SHU and Duke. But we got intercept with mere seconds left in our end zone on 4th down. They had a 1st and 10 at our 4 vs SHU. Coach Troxell told me he was very proud of that Dstand! He of course is a former Pard Dback.

I don't see Lehigh being anywhere close to the level the 'Pards were at last year. I'm not sold they'll win more than 3 games in 2024. The last thing they need is a lengthy trip to Bozeman to become fodder for the Bobcats.

I'm not really seeing another PL possibility other than Lehigh. Fordham would be foolish to do @ BGSU and at @ MSU back-2-back. Granted, seeing the Rams offense against MSU would be a treat. Especially when the weather is warm....

Pards Rule
June 4th, 2024, 05:41 AM
Owl, did LU opponents evaporate? Who were they supposed to play. Or are you saying one of the weeks was traditional bye week. I would love a trip out to Bozeman Bobcat fans. Most of you know a MSU alum I worked with at Hanna Car Wash Systems, Ron Holm, and I (he in Portland OR HQ and me in NJ) would talk on te phone frequently about our respective teams. RIP Ron in April 2018. My only visit to Big Sky was a cheap shot into Alzada in the VERY SE corner from Deadwood SD one morning to technically cross of MT from te 50 list. I was out there following Pards at Air Force 2021

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 4th, 2024, 07:16 AM
Owl, did LU opponents evaporate? Who were they supposed to play. Or are you saying one of the weeks was traditional bye week. I would love a trip out to Bozeman Bobcat fans. Most of you know a MSU alum I worked with at Hanna Car Wash Systems, Ron Holm, and I (he in Portland OR HQ and me in NJ) would talk on te phone frequently about our respective teams. RIP Ron in April 2018. My only visit to Big Sky was a cheap shot into Alzada in the VERY SE corner from Deadwood SD one morning to technically cross of MT from te 50 list. I was out there following Pards at Air Force 2021

I have no idea how Lehigh ended up with back-2-back byes in October. But given the usual nature of such a scenario combined with the fact that is the "ideal" football weather period of the schedule, I'm not particularly a fan.

I lived in Bozeman/Belgrade (right by the airport) for 3 years while I worked at Black Bull Golf Club. I would have stayed longer but the cost of living combined with the club's decision to delay building the new clubhouse until the late 2010s led me to return to the CC of Scranton. I absolutely loved Montana except two things (1) The smokey mid to late summers as a result of the inevitable wildfires (2) they don't treat the roads with any chemical agents in the winter so everything turns to ice. Also, I found the heat more a bother than the cold. July 2013 I believe 28/31 days in July were over 90 degrees with many days nearing 100. The extreme cold would only last 2-4 days. Otherwise, most December, January, February days were in the upper 20s to mid 30s with plenty of sunshine, honestly quite pleasant. Granted, seeing snow late May/early June was a bit sobering but it never lasted more than a few hours except on the ridge/mountaintop.

It came down to Bozeman or Grand Forks as I was offered a position at Grand Forks Golf Club and considered UND for grad school. Same thing with Montana State but I could not get approved for in-state tuition and ended up moving back East anyway. Ironically, I ended up at DePaul in Chicago which was basically the same amount as MSU out of state anyway. Granted, I consider DePaul a bit better academically.

Montana State vs Monmouth 2013. I had to be the only person there who was not affiliated with Monmouth who knew where the school was. I got to know then MSU head coach Rob Ash very well as he and his family were members at Black Bull; complements of MSU.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/1167287_629647563734345_1833878611_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1 10&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=TMklhRgpogMQ7kNvgGxZ8qV&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AYBT6yg7BAWY3GMpKQJUwzZ-9g-NeQerT-K8hBT9PDv1lg&oe=66867C5E

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/10329834_765130476852719_4403613096353509787_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=INWlWf0uEWcQ7kNvgHtPtpu&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AYC2uJ2uJ7mPjwmi8JT9-i2tn9MkVmEmgeFQxHsszN1ujQ&oe=66869188

Outsider1
June 10th, 2024, 02:37 PM
So, ACU is able to fill its Oct. 5th game with UCA, but in order to do so, it had to shift a bunch of games around that included losing an entire home game altogether and ending on a 3 game road stretch that ends up with us playing SFA anyway in Nac now... And now, back to As the Stomach Turns... :( xchinscratchx

MSUBobcat
June 12th, 2024, 01:01 PM
In the grand scheme of things, SFA cancelling their game against MSU may cost us some money. The buyout clause was $150,000, and for some reason we are paying startup Mercyhurst $275k (https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-stephen-f-austin-mercyhurst/article_424e3d02-2754-11ef-b926-abcbee4c6ea0.html#tracking-source=home-top-story). That seems pretty excessive for a new FCS school. Montana paid Ferris State just $175k (https://fbschedules.com/montana-adds-ferris-state-to-2023-football-schedule/) and the Bulldogs are much better pedigree than Mercyhurst. In fact, Ferris opened the 2023 season with Mercyhurst and thumped them 54-12. Granted, MSU will, at a minimum, save the travel costs to Nacogdoches if next year's game isn't filled. They would also make more than the difference if that game is replaced by a payday game, or even taking another home game. But Leon... what gives, man? How did you get outflanked on the negotiations?! $250k to Stetson last year also seems ridiculous, and the $360k from New Mexico is the lowest payday game I can remember.

McCowboys
June 19th, 2024, 08:18 AM
https://x.com/HoldinMoss/status/1802913248527765693

As we have shown, football continues to work out from 7am to 9am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The Pokes are trying to beat the heat which is usually in the 80’s early in the morning but could hit 90 mid-mornings. They are not having that problem in Montana. This is yesterday’s Montana State off-season workout. It sure looks like helmets and shoulder pads to me, but no one is scared of the NCAA these days. It did snow in Montana as this weather station confirms it.
https://www.wunderground.com/video/top-stories/june-snowfall-in-montana-as-us-cooks-in-triple-digit-heat
Hey coach, I did not know that it was legal to be coaching on the field on June 17. I guess it is.

OhioHen
June 19th, 2024, 08:42 AM

As we have shown, football continues to work out from 7am to 9am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The Pokes are trying to beat the heat which is usually in the 80’s early in the morning but could hit 90 mid-mornings. They are not having that problem in Montana. This is yesterday’s Montana State off-season workout. It sure looks like helmets and shoulder pads to me, but no one is scared of the NCAA these days. It did snow in Montana as this weather station confirms it.
https://www.wunderground.com/video/top-stories/june-snowfall-in-montana-as-us-cooks-in-triple-digit-heat
Hey coach, I did not know that it was legal to be coaching on the field on June 17. I guess it is.

Some southern schools hold "Spring" practice while it's still astronomically, meteorologically, and traditionally Winter. Montana State on June 17 is still in astronomical Spring (Summer begins June 20 at 4:50 p.m. EDT this year).

MSUBobcat
June 20th, 2024, 12:57 PM

Ahem.... that is a HIGH SCHOOL summer football camp. xoopsxThose aren't MSU players and Brennon Mossholder is a HS football coach at Hillcrest High in Idaho Falls. In the comments to the video (https://x.com/HoldinMoss/status/1803198783603482864), he asks for donations to help buy his HIGH SCHOOL team supplies, and he converses with a guy about a team from Mullen, CO that also attended the camp.

You really think the football team practices on the intramural field rather than in Bobcat Stadium? Even more shockingly, you think if they were holding illegal practices, they'd put it on Twitter AND give SI, ESPN, CNN, etc. permission to also use the video?! Sheesh. We aren't Ivy League, but we aren't THAT stupid.

McCowboys
June 20th, 2024, 02:44 PM
Ahem.... that is a HIGH SCHOOL summer football camp. xoopsxThose aren't MSU players and Brennon Mossholder is a HS football coach at Hillcrest High in Idaho Falls. In the comments to the video (https://x.com/HoldinMoss/status/1803198783603482864), he asks for donations to help buy his HIGH SCHOOL team supplies, and he converses with a guy about a team from Mullen, CO that also attended the camp.

You really think the football team practices on the intramural field rather than in Bobcat Stadium? Even more shockingly, you think if they were holding illegal practices, they'd put it on Twitter AND give SI, ESPN, CNN, etc. permission to also use the video?! Sheesh. We aren't Ivy League, but we aren't THAT stupid.

This came from a website. I posted it here because I thought someone would clear this up. Some people and schools do some really stupid things, as you know. I'm glad our friends at Montana State are smarter than that.