PDA

View Full Version : Is the UAC in Danger of Collapsing?

acbearkat
May 29th, 2024, 02:28 PM
Today SFA announced they are rejoining the Southland Conference. Lamar also left what was then the WAC and rejoined the Southland. I wonder how much longer it will be before the UAC collapses especially considering the travel costs associated with it. Also, SFA gets the Northwestern State rivalry back by rejoining the Southland. I though the WAC was a bad idea anyway and initially UTRGV was going to join the UAC for football but decided to move their sports to the Southland.

SFA accepts bid to return to Southland Conference (ktre.com) (https://www.ktre.com/2024/05/29/sfa-accepts-bid-return-southland-conference/)

Outsider1
May 29th, 2024, 03:36 PM
There isn't any reason the UAC is going to collapse tomorrow. I doubt it will be there long term but there will be another year or two at least before more will be known: 1) SFA is old news, we have been talking about it, and what it means for weeks with multiple other schools; 2) UTRGV and Lamar are even older news, so nothing there at all; 3) The UAC still has plenty of schools for its AQ, even not counting UWG.

Now, the ASUN will have its own issues to work through, similar to the WAC. The WAC is fine for now and the larger landscape of college athletics itself is shifting faster then the WAC. The WAC still has enough like minded schools that want to work together with the similar like minded schools in the ASUN. As long as that combined need is there, the UAC is there. Again, no one knows the long or mediate term outcome but wondering if it's in danger of collapsing is a tad overboard.