PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to play Austin Peay

FargoBison
January 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
NDSU will open the season Thursday, August 28th against Austin Peay. This will be the first year since 2005 in which NDSU will have 6 home games. NDSU still has open dates for Sept. 13 and Sept. 27.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1368559

TheBisonator
January 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Now we need 2 road games, or one road and one home (if we want 7 home games).

Schedule so far:

Aug 28 AUSTIN PEAY
Sep 06 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE
Sep 13 OPEN
Sep 20 At Youngstown State
Sep 27 OPEN
Oct 04 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Oct 11 WESTERN ILLINOIS
Oct 18 At Northern Iowa
Oct 25 At Illinois State
Nov 01 INDIANA STATE
Nov 8 OPEN
Nov 15 At Missouri State
Nov 22 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

eagle1
January 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
EWU has an open date on the 13th. Would the Bison be interested in traveling to Cheney? I sure would like to see this game. Both of these teams should be pre-season ranked in the top 10. Go Eagles!!!

TheBisonator
January 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
EWU has an open date on the 13th. Would the Bison be interested in traveling to Cheney? I sure would like to see this game. Both of these teams should be pre-season ranked in the top 10. Go Eagles!!!

If we could get an FBS game, I don't think we would mind doing a home-and-home with us travelling to EWU first. We need some guaranteed home games for 2009 and beyond.

stevdock
January 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I might be wrong with this but I heard somewhere where we only need one game for 2010 schedule but I believe next year's schedule is full. That is as long as everyone honors their committment. We have had our share of backouts recently, that's for sure.

AZBison
January 15th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Personally I would love to see the Bison stampede into Cheney since I will likely be in Spokane furthering my edumacation (Gonzaga).

Rekdiver
January 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
"Let's go Pea! Let's Go Pea!!"

JBB
January 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
The Governors make for an interesting opening match up. They are a middle of the pack team in OVC and statistically found themselves in the middle of the pack or worse in most statistical categories last season.

Im not sure about the roster or how many key players they are losing but NDSU is going to be looking at some new faces.

We will be starting a new QB and we have a lot of inexperience in the defensive backfield. Our O line lost at least one great man and we have some holes to fill on the D line and linebacker. Our cupboard isnt bare, but a lot of the guys are new or moving into starting positions from backup roles.

As far as the lineman and linebackers go this might not be too bad since replacements will have some good playing time. Our D backfield is going to see a lot of rookie action with some of the key players coming off injuries that cost them a year out of action.

I think its a good game and the Governors are certainly going to get the red carpet when they roll into Fargo.

lizrdgizrd
January 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
How about filling one of those empty spots with App? :D

swaghook
January 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
As a fan I'm all for it.xnodx

X-Factor
January 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I'm looking forward to Austin Peay because it's a Thursday game. I really like the early season thursday game before labor day weekend. Take friday off, and my weekend starts thursday with a BISON football game! There is nothing better :D

The Governors make for an interesting opening match up. They are a middle of the pack team in OVC and statistically found themselves in the middle of the pack or worse in most statistical categories last season.

Im not sure about the roster or how many key players they are losing but NDSU is going to be looking at some new faces.

We will be starting a new QB and we have a lot of inexperience in the defensive backfield. Our O line lost at least one great man and we have some holes to fill on the D line and linebacker. Our cupboard isnt bare, but a lot of the guys are new or moving into starting positions from backup roles.

As far as the lineman and linebackers go this might not be too bad since replacements will have some good playing time. Our D backfield is going to see a lot of rookie action with some of the key players coming off injuries that cost them a year out of action.

I think its a good game and the Governors are certainly going to get the red carpet when they roll into Fargo.

How are we going to be seeing "a lot of rookie action" in the defensive backfield? The secondary is stacked 2+ deep at every position with tons of experience especially at CB with 5 guys that have started at some point in the last two seasons and a couple more that could push for playing time. The only DB we lost to graduation was one starting CB and a one special teams DB. I expect big things from our secondary this season, which maybe has been an achilles heel in recent years.

No holes at linebacker. Henry @ mike with Beson to back him up. Henry has been May's backup for the last two seasons and led the team in tackles every time he started in place of Mays. IMO this year's 'backers as a group will be improved from last season. D-line all 4 starters return but will need a couple guys to step up and contribute some quality minutes as a backup.

We ARE starting a new QB though, that is what Austin Peay and CCSU are for! Mertens has the talent but needs more game experience before conference play starts. O-line lost 3 guys, good thing we go 10 deep with experienced lineman.

NDSUFREAK
January 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
It is genius to schedule these teams (Peay and CCSU) because of the fact Mertens needs some experience starting a game or two before the big season begins.

JaxSinfonian
January 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Peay will be building on a surprisingly good sophomore- and freshman-heavy squad from 2007. Their first class of scholarship players in a decade will be juniors in 2008, if I remember right. NDSU is obviously one of the best teams in the country and the Govs will be hard-pressed to win, but they're on the rise and could do a lot of surprising things this year.

NDSUFREAK
January 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM

got no problem with it

stevdock
January 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
From watching some of the videos on App St. in the best radio call section. I say bring them on. If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. We tried to schedule them last year, hopefully this year they can make it happen.

BearsCountry
January 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Are you guys going for 11 games or 12? Just wondering bc most of the Gateway besides SDSU and Indiana State are just playing 11.

NDSUFREAK
January 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Are you guys going for 11 games or 12? Just wondering bc most of the Gateway besides SDSU and Indiana State are just playing 11.

I think looking for 12. I last heard that earlier last year

swaghook
January 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I think they are looking for an FBS so I would think they are tryng to schedule 12

stevdock
January 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
From what our AD said last night we are going to probably go 11 games this year. He said he doesn't want to be too beat up going into conference season and especially with this being our first season being playoff eligible.

JBB
January 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Interesting reading X-Factor, this is from just yesterday:

More depth at cornerback expected for ’08 (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=188888&section=Sports)

It was just two months ago when the rule for the North Dakota State cornerbacks was don’t get hurt. There was nobody with experience on the depth chart after John Richardson, Nate Agbetola and David Earl.

I think the article will back you up, but it will also expose inexperience. Thats all I was saying.

Missingnumber7
January 16th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Would love it, but it ain't gonna happen. App, and NDSU for that matter won't schedule a power house for nonconf because of the chance of losing to a FCS team. However, an early season loss could be less devastating in the end then a late season conf loss. Plus its an early chance to get a look at your team against top caliber competition and get a gage on the young guys and a road map on how to become a better team.

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Would love it, but it ain't gonna happen. App, and NDSU for that matter won't schedule a power house for nonconf because of the chance of losing to a FCS team. However, an early season loss could be less devastating in the end then a late season conf loss. Plus its an early chance to get a look at your team against top caliber competition and get a gage on the young guys and a road map on how to become a better team.
How do you square that with the fact that we're already playing JMU this season? xeyebrowx

Unless you don't consider them "power house".

Weems
January 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Show me your Peay-ness!!!

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Show me your Peay-ness!!!

Are you channeling Travis now? xeyebrowx xlolx

NDSUFREAK
January 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Are you channeling Travis now? xeyebrowx xlolx

YOU MUST SPREAD MORE REP BEFORE GIVING IT TO LIZRDGIZRD AGAIN

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx