PDA

View Full Version : FCS Countdown 2024 - need your input and/or thoughts to improve or proceed

bonarae
May 11th, 2024, 03:28 AM
As some of you all know, I am currently busy with my graduate school thesis and as time would go on, I may have no time to start threads for each day in the countdown (I may also participate in an exchange program the last week in June - so stay tuned). Ursus has gone MIA as well the past few months, so if anyone here has his number, contact him so that I can decide for our board if I can continue our FCS tradition without his supervision.

Tribe4SF
May 11th, 2024, 05:06 AM
As some of you all know, I am currently busy with my graduate school thesis and as time would go on, I may have no time to start threads for each day in the countdown (I may also participate in an exchange program the last week in June - so stay tuned). Ursus has gone MIA as well the past few months, so if anyone here has his number, contact him so that I can decide for our board if I can continue our FCS tradition without his supervision.

As always, I'm willing to start daily threads on most days if needed. If anyone can operate without Ursus' supervision it's you.

McCowboys
May 11th, 2024, 06:06 AM
I will do what I can to help keep this thread going.

KPSUL
May 11th, 2024, 08:02 AM
Without significant changes, FCS Countdown should die a natural death. No one wants to read player profiles out of School AD websites on 99 players from the 5 or 6 teams with FCS members with the time and inclination to participate.

What might be better? Inviting FCS members to nominate a player who they truly believe may be the best FCS player wearing that number in the 2024 season. With a new thread every day there could not be an actual vote, just informal discussions on each nominee.

bonarae
May 11th, 2024, 08:23 AM
KPSUL - I agree that the FCS Countdown should innovate now, or just die a natural death. xtwocentsx

KPSUL
May 11th, 2024, 09:40 AM
KPSUL - I agree that the FCS Countdown should innovate now, or just die a natural death. xtwocentsx

I've actually been thinking about this the last several seasons. But instead of saying anything, I just was reading the countdown posts less and less. Reserving the daily posts to players worthy for nominations as the best who wear that number, would serve to inform all of us about the leading players from other teams and conferences.

Thanks for putting this up for comment and consideration!

MR. CHICKEN
May 11th, 2024, 09:51 AM
....SCRAP THE WHOLE THING!.........HAVEN'T READ THAT THREAD IN UH FEW YEARS.......DON'T CARE WHO WEARS #0...FROM SF AUSTIN/WM & MARY....'LESS DEY'RE ON OURAH SKED...xtwocentsx....AWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2024, 12:51 PM

I am MIA from posting but poke my head in and check around every few days but our friend Prof got in touch so I'll try dewey too as I mentioned on the other thread.

There is almost zero supervision around here anyway as everybody does a pretty good job of being decent to each other which is real nice for me. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2024, 12:57 PM
Without significant changes, FCS Countdown should die a natural death. No one wants to read player profiles out of School AD websites on 99 players from the 5 or 6 teams with FCS members with the time and inclination to participate.

What might be better? Inviting FCS members to nominate a player who they truly believe may be the best FCS player wearing that number in the 2024 season. With a new thread every day there could not be an actual vote, just informal discussions on each nominee.

We are not scrapping the tradition unless those posting don't want to do it any longer. I don't catch every single player but I look at all the players and read on them when others post them up because I like reading what they are promoting.

Your idea is a good one too. I like it and if anyone wants to run something like that I am all ears.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2024, 01:05 PM
BTW, just the actual thread title of the countdown keeps me on track as to how quickly the season is approaching. xlolx

Any idea on improvements you guys want to implement then all good with it.

Thanks Tribe and McCowboy for offering to pitch in with it as well.

McCowboys
May 12th, 2024, 07:10 AM
BTW, just the actual thread title of the countdown keeps me on track as to how quickly the season is approaching. xlolx

Any idea on improvements you guys want to implement then all good with it.

Thanks Tribe and McCowboy for offering to pitch in with it as well.

Glad to her from you, Ursus, and to know you are not MIA for good.

Last year was the first year I participated in the countdown and a couple of the regulars here were great in teaching me things I didn't know before. Like you, it keeps me updated with how much time until kickoff of the new season, but a poll, as someone suggested, each day could do the same. I am wondering if that would be more work than just posting players' profiles, though. ?

Mr. Chicken, I am still glad you are around, too. I hate it when teams move to another division and their fans leave here, too.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2024, 10:07 AM
Glad to her from you, Ursus, and to know you are not MIA for good.

Last year was the first year I participated in the countdown and a couple of the regulars here were great in teaching me things I didn't know before. Like you, it keeps me updated with how much time until kickoff of the new season, but a poll, as someone suggested, each day could do the same. I am wondering if that would be more work than just posting players' profiles, though. ?

Mr. Chicken, I am still glad you are around, too. I hate it when teams move to another division and their fans leave here, too.

In real life the first 4 months of the year are really loaded for me so I take a step back and as mentioned everyone around here knows (fairly well) the culture here and what brings problems. IOW, the crew is very good at doing what it takes to keep the ship off the rocks. xlolx

I think a poll would be great but damn that is a big ask and it would take putting together some names for each day etc. so maybe someone wants to do that but I've done similar daily posts and it gets tough so.

From what I understand all the countdowns you see out there in the football world started with this one 20 plus years ago so I would like to have the original version stick around in some form and also the parameters of when it starts (daily) and a few other guidelines to stay in place but outside of that...open to people giving bonarae and others their input on how we can fix it up a bit.