PDA

View Full Version : WAC/UAC rumors that could have ripple effects

atthewbon
May 2nd, 2024, 09:11 AM
IDK if you guys have seen any of the rumors around Stephen F Austin considering moving back to the Southland and the ripple effects it could have. Matt Brown's Extra Points reported on it and I have seen rumors on Twitter. Rumors are the other Texas WAC schools could be interested in joining the ASUN and the Utah schools could be interested in joining the Summit. Does anyone know anything about this? Would have an interesting impact on the FCS.

UNAPride
May 2nd, 2024, 12:25 PM
From D1.ticker:

Stephen F. Austin is “strongly considering a move back to the Southland Conference” and could potentially make an announcement to that effect as soon as this month, and Extra Points’ Matt Brown notes that “the exact whys are complicated, depending on who you talk to. Some industry sources have noted that [President Neal] Weaver was previously a VP for University Advancement at Nicholls State, and already has deep familiarity with many Southland institutions. Others have pointed to a desire to save money on travel, as well as instability and a lack of confidence in WAC/ASUN United and that organization’s long term future.” If SFA were to leave, Brown reports that “multiple WAC institutions will continue to do their due diligence on other conference membership options. Specifically, I’ve been told to monitor the Summit League as a potential destination for the Utah-based institutions, the WCC as a potential landing spot for Cal Baptist, and the ASUN or Southland as potential destinations for ACU, UTA and Tarleton, with the ASUN considered more likely than the Southland.” Also from Brown: “Industry sources close to WCC schools have told me multiple times over the last few months that while multiple member schools are strongly in favor of the conference adding Grand Canyon, the best basketball program in the league at the moment, it is unlikely that the Lopes can get enough votes from the entire conference to earn an invite. … I’m not ready to shovel dirt on any league. But I do think it’s fair to say that the WAC is in a very precarious position at the moment.”

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/conference-realignment-wac-defections-coming

taper
May 2nd, 2024, 01:59 PM
Assuming the Texas teams move to ASUN, I count 7 in FB and they can directly sponsor the sport. That leaves just the 2 Utah teams in UAC. If they go to the Summit we just hit the magical number 6 and sponsor FB too. MVFC is down to 7, which is fine. UAC folds, ASUN and Summit start new. Net gain of 1 AQ. The new MVFC might be a 1 bid league.
I think the Summit would welcome Utah teams with open arms. A few more baseball and soccer teams are desperately needed. Adding FB finally gets us above the minimum number of sponsored sports and adds a lot of stability.

clenz
May 2nd, 2024, 02:35 PM
That would be the best case scenario.

Summit gets their football and stability all around. That's good.
The MVFC still at 7 with other options to explore to grow past 7. That's good.
SLC and ASUN are stable.

Honestly, fairly solid all around.

I've said for years for Summit League football to be a thing either 1. the MVFC as it exists now has exploded or 2. the Summit essentially needs the southern and and western FCS to fall apart

#2 is, seemingly, happening.

Stability all around isn't a bad thing. A lot OOC games need worked out but that can be done with smaller conferences that are regional to each other.

Milktruck74
May 2nd, 2024, 04:51 PM
This would be a good thing. With all the crap and turmoil that is in college sports at the top levels, average fans (not the "collective" supporters...but real Johnny Lunchbox dudes) are looking for an alternative. Can FCS schools be that alternative? We would need some strong conferences that support all sports in order to be that. Nobody wants to support a team that may not be able to fill a full schedule or has no natural rival. So, while I'm a Southeast guy...this western/midwest thing has some impact on me too.

SDFS
May 2nd, 2024, 11:40 PM
I assume this is for all sports not just football affiliate type of arrangement (minus Cal Poly and CA-Davis). I would assume that three Utah schools would call Weber St and start talking to the Big Sky. It seems like a natural fit to tie in the footprint gap between NAU and Weber St. Maybe go to divisions: North and South.

North (7): PSU, EWU, UM, MSU, UI, ISU, UNC
South (7): NAU, U-Tech, SUU, Weber St, Poly, UC-Davis, Sac St. - Basketball keep UVU, Seattle and Grand Canyon. That would be a nice basketball conference.

Heck this seems like pretty tight from a geography stand point. Poly, UC-Davis, Sac St. and NAU all have historical ties to Utah schools. They could bring back the American West Conference
AWC - (Cal Poly, Cal St - Northridge, Cal St - Sac, UC-Davis, SUU)

UC-Davis won the conference in 93, Cal Poly in 94 and Sac St in 95.. Let's go.

Or They could go back to the Western Football Conference with:
Santa Clara
Cal Poly SLO
Cal State Northridge
Cal Lutheran (1985–1989)
Sacramento State (1985–1992)
Southern Utah (1986–1992)
Portland State
Cal Poly Pomona (1982)

My point being it seems like a group of schools have a long history together and they appear to finally have numbers to keep together a nice geographic fit for a conference at the D-I FCS level. I am sure any number of conferences would be willing to put a waiver on the AQ football bids and not sure that basketball bids are going to matter too much going forward. And heck just file a law against the NCAA to get the basketball bid - there track record in court is in your favor.

Mike296
May 3rd, 2024, 12:04 AM

The MVFC still at 7 with other options to explore to grow past 7. That's god.
SLC and ASUN are stable.

I've said for years for Summit League football to be a thing either 1. the MVFC as it exists now has exploded or 2. the Summit essentially needs the southern and and western FCS to fall apart

#2 is happening.

Stability all around isn't a bad thing. A lot OOC games need worked out but that can be done with smaller conferences that are regional to each other.
If Summit football happens, I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought St Thomas into the mix since they are already Summit members in everything except Football and Hockey(If memory serves me right.)

ST_Lawson
May 3rd, 2024, 08:37 AM

The MVFC still at 7 with other options to explore to grow past 7. That's god.
SLC and ASUN are stable.

#2 is happening.

I would really like to see this happen as well. A 7-team MVFC playing 6 conference games a year would make it much easier for us to schedule semi-regular OOC games against longtime opponents ILSU, UNI, and SIU. The MVFC is currently at 8 conference games in a regular season.

clenz
May 3rd, 2024, 09:41 AM
If Summit football happens, I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought St Thomas into the mix since they are already Summit members in everything except Football and Hockey(If memory serves me right.)
Possible, though they have shown zero interest in scholarship football thus far. The amount of money they are spending on their new basketball/hockey arena is going to make it hard to justify not funding those to the max they can, which likely hurts the idea of scholarship football.

Remember, these private PFL schools gain so much money from having non-scholarship football. FCS programs can give 63 scholarships out. They don't. That means funded FCS schools have to build 63 scholarships into budgets/expenses. These schools get those same 63 players but instead of budgeting scholarship expenses these schools pull in 50-60k+ in tuition from each of them.

Full anarchy, and I've throw this against the wall before, is the MVC adds UST(booting Valpo or Evansville) and somehow that gets UST and D+ to go scholarship football and make the MVFC just the MVC.

UNI
MOSU
MUSO
SIU
ISUR
ISUB
D+
UST
YSU - affilliate.

9 team league, true round robin.

Mike296
May 3rd, 2024, 12:01 PM
Possible, though they have shown zero interest in scholarship football thus far. The amount of money they are spending on their new basketball/hockey arena is going to make it hard to justify not funding those to the max they can, which likely hurts the idea of scholarship football.

Remember, these private PFL schools gain so much money from having non-scholarship football. FCS programs can give 63 scholarships out. They don't. That means funded FCS schools have to build 63 scholarships into budgets/expenses. These schools get those same 63 players but instead of budgeting scholarship expenses these schools pull in 50-60k+ in tuition from each of them.

Full anarchy, and I've throw this against the wall before, is the MVC adds UST(booting Valpo or Evansville) and somehow that gets UST and D+ to go scholarship football and make the MVFC just the MVC.

UNI
MOSU
MUSO
SIU
ISUR
ISUB
D+
UST
YSU - affilliate.

9 team league, true round robin.

It was just a thought. Some people would say these Pioneer League schools don’t belong in FCS and are only that in name. Some might say the same for the Ivy’s. UST at least already plays other sports in the Summit League and it wouldn’t hurt for the rest of the summit schools to at least give UST a call to see if they’re interested. It’s a pipe dream though given all the stuff you just mentioned.

atthewbon
May 3rd, 2024, 12:19 PM
I assume this is for all sports not just football affiliate type of arrangement (minus Cal Poly and CA-Davis). I would assume that three Utah schools would call Weber St and start talking to the Big Sky. It seems like a natural fit to tie in the footprint gap between NAU and Weber St. Maybe go to divisions: North and South.

North (7): PSU, EWU, UM, MSU, UI, ISU, UNC
South (7): NAU, U-Tech, SUU, Weber St, Poly, UC-Davis, Sac St. - Basketball keep UVU, Seattle and Grand Canyon. That would be a nice basketball conference.

Heck this seems like pretty tight from a geography stand point. Poly, UC-Davis, Sac St. and NAU all have historical ties to Utah schools. They could bring back the American West Conference
AWC - (Cal Poly, Cal St - Northridge, Cal St - Sac, UC-Davis, SUU)

UC-Davis won the conference in 93, Cal Poly in 94 and Sac St in 95.. Let's go.

Or They could go back to the Western Football Conference with:
Santa Clara
Cal Poly SLO
Cal State Northridge
Cal Lutheran (1985–1989)
Sacramento State (1985–1992)
Southern Utah (1986–1992)
Portland State
Cal Poly Pomona (1982)

My point being it seems like a group of schools have a long history together and they appear to finally have numbers to keep together a nice geographic fit for a conference at the D-I FCS level. I am sure any number of conferences would be willing to put a waiver on the AQ football bids and not sure that basketball bids are going to matter too much going forward. And heck just file a law against the NCAA to get the basketball bid - there track record in court is in your favor.

The Big Sky could make sense for the Utah schools but that's all of a sudden a really big conference. I find it interesting Matt Brown mentioned to keep an eye on the summit. Non football it puts the Summit at 12. Also adds what could be a travel partner with Denver in UVU. Football wise it feels like a weird fit. I don't see why a conference of SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND, Utah Tech, and Southern Utah would be that appealing to the Dakota schools for football. It would strengthen the stability of the Summit league but feels odd for football.

Outsider1
May 9th, 2024, 08:41 AM
There hasn't been any known talk besides Matt's article. I posted a question about the Texas 4 getting together to join the ASUN to make a 16 member mid-major conference that kept the UAC together and stable at 7 qualifying members and 8 playing members instead of SFA going off on their own to join the SLC. With the ASUN's HQ move from Atlanta to Jacksonville, I don't think that is a good idea. It moves the power structure too far to the East, as well as takes the media market from a #7 city to a #41 city. I realize that with KSU gone, the ASUN didn't have a member school in/around Atlanta anymore, but that really doesn't matter in the world of the total conference. Atlanta helped center the conference as a whole and kept it in a good media market. Heck, Nashville would have been a better choice than Jacksonville. The ASUN's rankings weren't much better than the SLC, but the footprint was better and several people believed there was better potential in the ASUN. BUT, if the ASUN leadership is too focused on appeasing Florida schools and one city's reputation than growing its over-all brand...none of that matters and the WAC schools are better off somewhere else. The WAC's leadership is completely inept right now. ACU, Tarleton and UTA aren't saying anything about moving. The known stability issues of the WAC though are forcing the schools to have a plan B. UTA fans seem to prefer the MVC. I just personally thought it better for the 4 Texas schools to work together if the the Utah schools made a move.

SDFS
May 9th, 2024, 01:26 PM
There hasn't been any known talk besides Matt's article. I posted a question about the Texas 4 getting together to join the ASUN to make a 16 member mid-major conference that kept the UAC together and stable at 7 qualifying members and 8 playing members instead of SFA going off on their own to join the SLC. With the ASUN's HQ move from Atlanta to Jacksonville, I don't think that is a good idea. It moves the power structure too far to the East, as well as takes the media market from a #7 city to a #41 city. I realize that with KSU gone, the ASUN didn't have a member school in/around Atlanta anymore, but that really doesn't matter in the world of the total conference. Atlanta helped center the conference as a whole and kept it in a good media market. Heck, Nashville would have been a better choice than Jacksonville. The ASUN's rankings weren't much better than the SLC, but the footprint was better and several people believed there was better potential in the ASUN. BUT, if the ASUN leadership is too focused on appeasing Florida schools and one city's reputation than growing its over-all brand...none of that matters and the WAC schools are better off somewhere else. The WAC's leadership is completely inept right now. ACU, Tarleton and UTA aren't saying anything about moving. The known stability issues of the WAC though are forcing the schools to have a plan B. UTA fans seem to prefer the MVC. I just personally thought it better for the 4 Texas schools to work together if the the Utah schools made a move.

I would hope that the Summit League would be much more interested in the Texas 3 or 4 (UT-A, ACU, SFA, and Tarleton St.) than the Utah 3 (SUU, UVU, Utah Tech). If the Texas schools need a conference home - please call the Summit League.

SteelSD
May 10th, 2024, 01:34 PM
Well the dominoes have started to fall with Grand Canyon and Seattle to the WCC.

https://wccsports.com/news/2024/5/10/general-west-coast-conference-adds-grand-canyon-university-and-seattle-university-as-members.aspx

Outsider1
May 10th, 2024, 01:56 PM
The current WAC leadership is too inept to save the WAC. I worry about the ASUN's leadership to help save the UAC at this point. No one is publicly talking yet from the Texas 4 but you know there are discussions. There will definitely be more movement to come in the upcoming days/weeks from Utah, Texas and California.

WestCoastAggie
May 10th, 2024, 02:53 PM
I guess the NCAA is not going to permit a FCS conference from becoming FBS. This doesn't bode well for the SWAC's long-term vision.

nodak651
May 10th, 2024, 03:19 PM
I guess the NCAA is not going to permit a FCS conference from becoming FBS. This doesn't bode well for the SWAC's long-term vision.

Debatable.

atthewbon
May 10th, 2024, 05:13 PM
Now with Missouri State also leaving the Valley idk what I really want to happen as an SDSU fan. Best case scenario is joining the MWC. There have been rumors OSU and WSU try to rebuild the Pac 12 with MWC teams and that opens the opportunity for the Montana’s and xdsu’s to join the MWC. That doesn’t seem super realistic. Idk if I’d prefer the Summit taking the 3 Utah schools and maybe UNC and starting summit football or the status quo. I like the idea of strengthening the summit for basketball but Summit football with those teams is not as exciting as the MVFC for me.

If the P4/G5 split people have been talking about and seems inevitable happens and there are three levels of D1 football I really hope SDSU finds its way into the second level wether it’s by joining an already established G5 conference or creating a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFA 93
May 24th, 2024, 11:10 PM
Sources: @SFA_Athletics (https://x.com/SFA_Athletics)
has officially submitted its letter to the WAC that the Lumberjacks will be leaving the WAC following the end of the 2023-24 fiscal year. Official announcement comes on Wednesday.

SFA 93
May 25th, 2024, 08:09 AM
Looks like back to the SLC for SFA

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/05/24/confirmed-sfa-headed-back-to-the-southland-conference?ref=article_preview_title

WestCoastAggie
May 25th, 2024, 10:39 AM
Just a thought... I wonder if this leads to the ASUN teams rejoining the Big South and OVC?

SFA 93
May 25th, 2024, 11:24 AM
Rumor has it that the Summit League wants football, and Tarleton State would be heading there.

nodak651
May 25th, 2024, 02:36 PM
Rumor has it that the Summit League wants football, and Tarleton State would be heading there.
Interesting. Where did you hear that one?

SFA 93
May 25th, 2024, 03:40 PM
Message boards, like I said just rumors at this point.

SDFS
May 25th, 2024, 05:10 PM

Bring UT-A and ACU with.

taper
May 26th, 2024, 09:45 PM
Be careful with internet ramblings vs actual rumors. I've talked about Summit football many times. Why it benefits us, possible candidates, how it affects other schools, etc. I've never said I have inside info or sources. I'd call me speculation or hopeful wishes but not rumors.

Baron Sardonicus
May 26th, 2024, 11:06 PM
I heard that, in order to save the WAC as a basketball conference, South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem is brokering a deal to have the conference invite Augustana U.

If the WAC takes Augustana, the Governor says she can deliver Kim Il Sung University, in a package deal.

nodak651
May 26th, 2024, 11:27 PM
I heard that, in order to save the WAC as a basketball conference, South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem is brokering a deal to have the conference invite Augustana U.

If the WAC takes Augustana, the Governor says she can deliver Kim Il Sung University, in a package deal.
Can we please stick to facts. Or at least be funny if not.

nodak651
May 26th, 2024, 11:29 PM
I know but which one? I want to read it for myself.

McCowboys
May 27th, 2024, 05:49 AM

https://x.com/InforumSports/status/1791504713415881071

McCowboys
May 27th, 2024, 05:50 AM
https://x.com/jongrove02/status/1790868330204500078

bonarae
May 27th, 2024, 08:19 PM
From FCS Fans Nation Facebook group:

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/big-country-politics/navigating-the-ever-changing-college-sports-landscape-acus-future-in-the-wac/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
May 27th, 2024, 09:27 PM

https://i.imgur.com/jDLDCn5.jpeg

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 05:55 AM
https://i.imgur.com/jDLDCn5.jpeg

Abraham Lincoln was a visionary.
Yeah, it seems it's all a lot of talk about the Summit and football, but it is talk, most of which is dismissed. Expecting some stable FCS programs to leave their conference for an "experiment" is asking too much. See the WAC for reference.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 09:09 AM
The WAC may be able to survive after-all, at least in the interim. Will see how the landscape looks in a couple of years. PS, Thornton still sucks... The only reason the WAC will be ok for now is the schools themselves and no where else for them to really go at the given moment. Between litigation and realignment, there is still some unknowns. FCS/Mid-major conferences are still figuring out the new college athletics alongside the G5. For the remaining WAC schools, the best decision is sit tight and watch.

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 09:29 AM
The WAC may be able to survive after-all, at least in the interim. Will see how the landscape looks in a couple of years. PS, Thornton still sucks... The only reason the WAC will be ok for now is the schools themselves and no where else for them to really go at the given moment. Between litigation and realignment, there is still some unknowns. FCS/Mid-major conferences are still figuring out the new college athletics alongside the G5. For the remaining WAC schools, the best decision is sit tight and watch.

The WAC still has to depend on the ASun (UAC) for football. What happens if Tarleton takes off? Enjoy hanging on and sitting tight. Neither the WAC or ASun seems to be very stable at this time. The WAC is still primarily basketball focused. No matter what, at this time, I would much rather be in the SLC than the WAC. The athletic directors of the SLC have said no to further expansion at this time after taking in SFA. Personally, I think 12 is a good number, with 10 FCS members. Enjoy the WAC all you want, but I am glad McNeese had the sense not to fall for it. I am fairly certain that Southeastern Louisiana fans are not happy with the addition of UTRGV due to travel. I am sure they would feel the same should ACU wish to return.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 09:51 AM
The WAC still has to depend on the ASun (UAC) for football. What happens if Tarleton takes off? Enjoy hanging on and sitting tight. Neither the WAC or ASun seems to be very stable at this time. The WAC is still primarily basketball focused. No matter what, at this time, I would much rather be in the SLC than the WAC. The athletic directors of the SLC have said no to further expansion at this time after taking in SFA. Personally, I think 12 is a good number, with 10 FCS members. Enjoy the WAC all you want, but I am glad McNeese had the sense not to fall for it. I am fairly certain that Southeastern Louisiana fans are not happy with the addition of UTRGV due to travel. I am sure they would feel the same should ACU wish to return.

The UAC has always been an unstable force, but I have already said that there really isn't a lot of choices for people at this point in time. The relative stability lies there. That is why, for now, the WAC will be ok. Would Tarleton like to bolt for greener pastures? Sure, but will those greener pastures be available? Probably not. They know they are ok for now. They have good rivalries now that they have had for decades, so they will probably sit tight like us. Could things change? Sure they could. The SLC is stable but will always remain pretty insignificant and mediocre because of the schools that still refuse to do anything about it. McNeese is choosing to make the needed improvements. SFA and UTRGV coming in will certainly help but how far it raises the bar for the SLC is yet to be seen. I think SFA will use the money it saves in the SLC and make some really needed improvements. The WAC has a lot of possibilities still, even though I agree with you the stability is highly questionable. I don't feel sorry for the SELA fans one bit. They should be glad UTRGV is helping them. Personally I would be more worried about UTA then I would Tarleton, but then that wouldn't affect football. It would still suck though because UTA is a good school, with a good history of athletics and in a good market. I thought the ASUN had possibilities but have since changed my mind.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 09:54 AM
IF ACU ended up going back to the SLC, it wouldn't be the end of the world either, but I agree that staying put for now is just fine because the landscape itself is still shifting for multiple reasons. I think there could be other possibilities that even I am not aware, or thinking of.

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 10:13 AM
IF ACU ended up going back to the SLC, it wouldn't be the end of the world either, but I agree that staying put for now is just fine because the landscape itself is still shifting for multiple reasons. I think there could be other possibilities that even I am not aware, or thinking of.

The leadership of ACU, at the time when ACU left the SLC for the second time, burned some bridges -- more like dynamited them. I am speaking personally, not for all McNeese fans, but y'all can stay wherever you are forever.

I still love to hate Lamar, and am so glad they came back home, and I think most of their fans agree. Two years back and LU won the Commissioner's Cup.

Many SFA fans are being dragged back to the SLC kicking and screaming, but in the long run it will probably be the best thing for them, financially for sure.

Yeah, there are a couple of schools that needs to get on the ball with making better of themselves, but there aren't many conferences without some schools like that, I would guess.

And even though McNeese basketball currently has Will Wade as head coach and made the NCAA playoffs for the first time in 20+ years, McNeese is still a football school, and the stability of an FCS conference is most important.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 10:55 AM
The leadership of ACU, at the time when ACU left the SLC for the second time, burned some bridges -- more like dynamited them. I am speaking personally, not for all McNeese fans, but y'all can stay wherever you are forever.

I still love to hate Lamar, and am so glad they came back home, and I think most of their fans agree. Two years back and LU won the Commissioner's Cup.

Many SFA fans are being dragged back to the SLC kicking and screaming, but in the long run it will probably be the best thing for them, financially for sure.

Yeah, there are a couple of schools that needs to get on the ball with making better of themselves, but there aren't many conferences without some schools like that, I would guess.

And even though McNeese basketball currently has Will Wade as head coach and made the NCAA playoffs for the first time in 20+ years, McNeese is still a football school, and the stability of an FCS conference is most important.

Several of the SLC schools are still doing the same BS they did that pissed off ACU and others, that dynamite was placed by both sides over a period of time. Even recently, how do you host a conference championship when you don't even have a facility for that sport? [HCU], given to you because the other school couldn't even fix their facility to be able to use it [UIW], so then hold it at an entirely different school in another conference?. That's on top of how schools often treated visiting teams in the SLC. The new SLC leadership hasn't changed that. I think one of the only over-all improvements has been the forcing of finally utilizing ESPN+ for most major sports coverage. The WAC still does a better job in that department. The WAC still does a better job in facilities. The WAC is a wild west conference where things can change. The SLC is familiar to the schools that are in it. Many of the SFA fans are not happy going back, some are fine because it is again, "familiar" and will save money. I am pissed at them right now because they are destroying a lot of schedules that money won't solve. Now we get to hire some lame NAIA school and destroy our all DI schedule. What if we have a breakout year and have the possibility to make the playoffs, but don't get the AQ? The UAC still has a funky calculation. SFA just pissed all over their UAC scheduled schools, but such is normal in this world. In the long run, it will work for them and we will be fine. I love stability but relevance still has a lot going for it. As far as football and relevance, the UAC is still better top to bottom for now. The SLC has done well with baseball and I still give kudos to McNeese for what they have done. SFA and UTRGV will do a lot for the conference as a whole. Right now, the biggest unknown is still the college athletic landscape. We know the general direction but the ripple effects are still not as clear. I am not sure if it is the WAC/UAC having ripple affects or the larger landscape still causing the ripple effects LIKE the WAC/UAC.

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 11:22 AM
Several of the SLC schools are still doing the same BS they did that pissed off ACU and others, that dynamite was placed by both sides over a period of time. Even recently, how do you host a conference championship when you don't even have a facility for that sport? [HCU], given to you because the other school couldn't even fix their facility to be able to use it [UIW], so then hold it at an entirely different school in another conference?. That's on top of how schools often treated visiting teams in the SLC. The new SLC leadership hasn't changed that. I think one of the only over-all improvements has been the forcing of finally utilizing ESPN+ for most major sports coverage. The WAC still does a better job in that department. The WAC still does a better job in facilities. The WAC is a wild west conference where things can change. The SLC is familiar to the schools that are in it. Many of the SFA fans are not happy going back, some are fine because it is again, "familiar" and will save money. I am pissed at them right now because they are destroying a lot of schedules that money won't solve. Now we get to hire some lame NAIA school and destroy our all DI schedule. What if we have a breakout year and have the possibility to make the playoffs, but don't get the AQ? The UAC still has a funky calculation. SFA just pissed all over their UAC scheduled schools, but such is normal in this world. In the long run, it will work for them and we will be fine. I love stability but relevance still has a lot going for it. As far as football and relevance, the UAC is still better top to bottom for now. The SLC has done well with baseball and I still give kudos to McNeese for what they have done. SFA and UTRGV will do a lot for the conference as a whole. Right now, the biggest unknown is still the college athletic landscape. We know the general direction but the ripple effects are still not as clear. I am not sure if it is the WAC/UAC having ripple affects or the larger landscape still causing the ripple effects LIKE the WAC/UAC.

I'm glad you are happy. Now tell us how wonderful WAC scheduling is when teams are on the road (really, really far on the road) for four games straight....Or travel to Seattle and then back home to Texas and then on the road again....

"Third, the conference schedules in 2023-24 were bad. Like, really bad.
SFA had to go on a four-game road trip over its final six conference games. At Seattle U, at UVU, at GCU and at CBU. That is a gauntlet.
Seattle U had to play a Thursday game at SFA, then come back to Seattle to host GCU less than 48 hours later. Multiple teams actually had to make that happen.
UTRGV had to do the same road trip as SFA.
UT Arlington had to go on a three-game road trip, including a game at CBU on a Thursday before having to host SFA less than 48 hours later at College Park Center.
UVU had a three-game road trip to UT Arlington, UTRGV, and GCU before having to host rival Utah Tech at home.
Think about this, as well…Utah Tech had to play at Seattle U on Thursday, January 4. Less than 48 hours later, the Trailblazers had to host GCU…and the Lopes were actually in St. George before the Trailblazers were."

Yeah, it's a shame about HCU having to host a championship to replace another, but things do happen. At least the conference championships are at SLC schools (for the most part) for fans to travel to and not in Las Vegas or elsewhere.

No conference is perfect, but I'd still take SLC scheduling and conference championships over what the WAC offers.

McNeese and others were once part of the Southland Football League (SFL) with Troy and Jacksonville State. How nice to be in a conference with 10 FCS schools so that doesn't have to happen again.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 11:33 AM
I'm glad you are happy. Now tell us how wonderful WAC scheduling is when teams are on the road (really, really far on the road) for four games straight....Or travel to Seattle and then back home to Texas and then on the road again....

"Third, the conference schedules in 2023-24 were bad. Like, really bad.
SFA had to go on a four-game road trip over its final six conference games. At Seattle U, at UVU, at GCU and at CBU. That is a gauntlet.
Seattle U had to play a Thursday game at SFA, then come back to Seattle to host GCU less than 48 hours later. Multiple teams actually had to make that happen.
UTRGV had to do the same road trip as SFA.
UT Arlington had to go on a three-game road trip, including a game at CBU on a Thursday before having to host SFA less than 48 hours later at College Park Center.
UVU had a three-game road trip to UT Arlington, UTRGV, and GCU before having to host rival Utah Tech at home.
Think about this, as well…Utah Tech had to play at Seattle U on Thursday, January 4. Less than 48 hours later, the Trailblazers had to host GCU…and the Lopes were actually in St. George before the Trailblazers were."

Yeah, it's a shame about HCU having to host a championship to replace another, but things do happen. At least the conference championships are at SLC schools (for the most part) for fans to travel to and not in Las Vegas or elsewhere.

No conference is perfect, but I'd still take SLC scheduling and conference championships over what the WAC offers.

McNeese and others were once part of the Southland Football League (SFL) with Troy and Jacksonville State. How nice to be in a conference with 10 FCS schools so that doesn't have to happen again.

The schedules are part of why the WAC is more relevant. Conference schedules that are challenging aren't always bad. Yes, you are on the road more, but you are being seen by a lot more people. You should get out of your state more. it's what colleges do nowadays...

Also, having a conference championships in LV, at a professional arena, is actually also why the WAC is more relevant.

Again, familiar is nice, but it has limitations. Yeah, it would be nice to be in conference with "10" FCS schools, but not necessary.

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 11:54 AM
The schedules are part of why the WAC is more relevant. Conference schedules that are challenging aren't always bad. Yes, you are on the road more, but you are being seen by a lot more people. You should get out of your state more. it's what colleges do nowadays...

Also, having a conference championships in LV, at a professional arena, is actually also why the WAC is more relevant.

Again, familiar is nice, but it has limitations. Yeah, it would be nice to be in conference with "10" FCS schools, but not necessary.

Back to the dynamite comments you made earlier. I guess I have been mistaken all along. I thought the "C" in ACU stood for Christian. ???

Oh, a professional and relevant conference? LOL! What was the attendance?

The horrible scheduling made the WAC more relevant???

The SLC football games are on ESPN+. The SLC basketball tournament was on ESPN+, one semifinal and the final on ESPN linear. I'm sure that is comparable to the WACs tournament.
Spending days and nights on travel and hundreds of thousands of dollars more than if in a more centralized conference is challenging and what colleges do nowadays. LOL! That's good advertisement for a far-flung conference. Sam Houston, New Mexico State, and SFA are now gone. After Grand Canyon leaves, what big time program will the WAC hang its hat on?

In basketball, do you know how many times basketball plays from the SLC made ESPN's Top 10? McNeese's Shumate made it 8 times by himself with his ShuSlams.

Thanks for the laughs!

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 12:28 PM
Back to the dynamite comments you made earlier. I guess I have been mistaken all along. I thought the "C" in ACU stood for Christian. ???

Oh, a professional and relevant conference? LOL! What was the attendance?

The horrible scheduling made the WAC more relevant???

The SLC football games are on ESPN+. The SLC basketball tournament was on ESPN+, one semifinal and the final on ESPN linear. I'm sure that is comparable to the WACs tournament.
Spending days and nights on travel and hundreds of thousands of dollars more than if in a more centralized conference is challenging and what colleges do nowadays. LOL! That's good advertisement for a far-flung conference. Sam Houston, New Mexico State, and SFA are now gone. After Grand Canyon leaves, what big time program will the WAC hang its hat on?

In basketball, do you know how many times basketball plays from the SLC made ESPN's Top 10? McNeese's Shumate made it 8 times by himself with his ShuSlams.

Thanks for the laughs!

Wasn't made for any laughs, you were the only one who took it there. I actually kept the comments pretty fair and balanced for the most part until you kept spouting. Even then I tried to keep it civil. Nowhere was I unchristian. You were the one who brought up the burning of bridges not me.

On the ESPN+ thing, yes, glad the SLC finally got there. I mentioned that the SLC had made strides in that area. That wasn't the case before. Often, there were LOTS of games that were NOT streamed on ESPN+. That's recent. The WAC has more sporting events that are. Yes, most conferences travel more than the SLC, that's just fact. The WAC scheduling is tough, but so are a lot of DI conference schedules. Yes, that helps in relevance as we compete in more states with schools with higher rankings and profiles. Hey, I perfectly get the desire to keep doing what you are doing. There are a lot of people that do want to do the same thing over and over. Like you mentioned though, even others in the SLC didn't and moved on to bigger things. The WAC doesn't need to hang it's hat on any one program. As good as GCU is, it only made it to the NCAA Tourney one time, this past year. Even though we are rebuilding basketball now, we were there twice and all over ESPN. We beat SHSU before they left. There are plenty of other schools in the WAC that have a long history. Right now, we have a ways to go to get back on track in the WAC/UAC exactly because the competition is that tough. McNeese basketball isn't relevant even if it has some plays make highlights. WAC basketball's rating was way higher than SLC and still is, just fact. The UAC has been rated above the SLC in football in its short existence, just fact. The other issues surrounding all of that I was up front about. I mentioned that SLC baseball has been doing well. I have been very respectful to your school throughout the conversation. I even posted that if we did go back to the SLC so be it. Thanks for the laughs back.

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 12:46 PM
Wasn't made for any laughs, you were the only one who took it there. I actually kept the comments pretty fair and balanced for the most part until you kept spouting. Even then I tried to keep it civil. Nowhere was I unchristian. You were the one who brought up the burning of bridges not me.

On the ESPN+ thing, yes, glad the SLC finally got there. I mentioned that the SLC had made strides in that area. That wasn't the case before. Often, there were LOTS of games that were NOT streamed on ESPN+. That's recent. The WAC has more sporting events that are. Yes, most conferences travel more than the SLC, that's just fact. The WAC scheduling is tough, but so are a lot of DI conference schedules. Yes, that helps in relevance as we compete in more states with schools with higher rankings and profiles. Hey, I perfectly get the desire to keep doing what you are doing. There are a lot of people that do want to do the same thing over and over. Like you mentioned though, even others in the SLC didn't and moved on to bigger things. The WAC doesn't need to hang it's hat on any one program. As good as GCU is, it only made it to the NCAA Tourney one time, this past year. Even though we are rebuilding basketball now, we were there twice and all over ESPN. We beat SHSU before they left. There are plenty of other schools in the WAC that have a long history. Right now, we have a ways to go to get back on track in the WAC/UAC exactly because the competition is that tough. McNeese basketball isn't relevant even if it has some plays make highlights. WAC basketball's rating was way higher than SLC and still is, just fact. The UAC has been rated above the SLC in football in its short existence, just fact. The other issues surrounding all of that I was up front about. I have been very respectful to your school throughout the conversation. I even posted that if we did go back to the SLC so be it. Thanks for the laughs back.

"There are plenty of other schools in the WAC that have a long history." Oh, yeah, which ones? And for what?

I am glad McNeese has Will Wade, and who are you to say McNeese is not relevant in basketball? Yeah, y'all upset Texas, good for you, and I was cheering for you, but two years does not make ACU relevant either. Oh, a higher RPI in basketball than the SLC? Wow! And it got you how many NCAA bids? One? Hmmmm. Same as the SLC. Ha! Guess what? In some "way too early basketball polls," McNeese has been included in the Top 25 or others receiving votes. So nice not to be relevant.

McNeese is a football school. But we did finish 2nd in the Commissioner's Cup this year with many sports doing well, the highest finish ever.

Yeah, thanks for the props for McNeese. A football coach who was too permissive that led to us being put on probation due to GPA. COVID pandemic, two back-to-back destructive hurricanes, and a horrible winter storm, then 3 head football coaches in four years. It's been a tough road, but McNeese is building back quickly, the whole campus and athletic facilities.

Well, I will bow out for now, so Ursus won't have to discipline me, and let you WAC-Ys carry on.

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 01:11 PM
"There are plenty of other schools in the WAC that have a long history." Oh, yeah, which ones? And for what?

I am glad McNeese has Will Wade, and who are you to say McNeese is not relevant in basketball? Yeah, y'all upset Texas, good for you, and I was cheering for you, but two years does not make ACU relevant either. Oh, a higher RPI in basketball than the SLC? Wow! And it got you how many NCAA bids? One? Hmmmm. Same as the SLC. Ha! Guess what? In some "way too early basketball polls," McNeese has been included in the Top 25 or others receiving votes. So nice not to be relevant.

McNeese is a football school. But we did finish 2nd in the Commissioner's Cup this year with many sports doing well, the highest finish ever.

Yeah, thanks for the props for McNeese. A football coach who was too permissive that led to us being put on probation due to GPA. COVID pandemic, two back-to-back destructive hurricanes, and a horrible winter storm, then 3 head football coaches in four years. It's been a tough road, but McNeese is building back quickly, the whole campus and athletic facilities.

Well, I will bow out for now, so Ursus won't have to discipline me, and let you WAC-Ys carry on.

Put your wee wee back in your pants, you're dribbling all over yourself...

McCowboys
May 28th, 2024, 02:40 PM
Put your wee wee back in your pants, you're dribbling all over yourself...

Looking at my wee wee again, you pervert!

Outsider1
May 28th, 2024, 02:52 PM
Looking at my wee wee again, you pervert!

I don't give a r@ts a$$ about your wee wee. The point is you need to try and stop getting into pissing contests where there aren't any.

Mike296
May 28th, 2024, 11:19 PM
This thread got wild quickly. As a fan of an ASUN/UAC team I know that the FCS waters are murky at best right now in that Texas, Louisiana area. I think us ASUN schools would be much better off forming an alliance with the OVC/Big South schools than the WAC right now. Maybe that’d force you guys to think for yourselves and not being so reliant on the ASUN side of the UAC. The WAC is hemorrhaging at an alarming rate and it would hardly surprise me if we see the UAC collapse here in short order. With West Georgia joining the ASUN and the WAC losing SFA and UTRGV that gives the ASUN 5 football schools now. If Stetson ever added scholarships that’d be 6 and we’d be able to have our own football conference. You guys would also be screwed if Tarleton ever got an invite to a better conference. They’d be a good CUSA fit for sure. Watch for MVC expansion too. You might lose UTA out of that one. If UTA leaves that’s probably the death of the WAC right there. That’d be 3 basketball schools you lose and 2 football schools. 5 schools total and you’re already on life support. Good luck convincing anyone to join the WAC unless you plan on giving a bunch of D2 call ups a chance. (I’m not against D2 call ups, I just think it’s dumb to be reliant on them for a stable conference. Sure didn’t do the ASUN any favors when they called up Queens, Bellarmine and now UWG)

Keeper
May 29th, 2024, 12:35 AM
You're all in the same boat.
The entire map needs to be reconfigured.
Less travel, strong rivalries best chance to keep FCS afloat and entertaining. xnodx

Outsider1
May 29th, 2024, 08:16 AM
This thread got wild quickly. As a fan of an ASUN/UAC team I know that the FCS waters are murky at best right now in that Texas, Louisiana area. I think us ASUN schools would be much better off forming an alliance with the OVC/Big South schools than the WAC right now. Maybe that’d force you guys to think for yourselves and not being so reliant on the ASUN side of the UAC. The WAC is hemorrhaging at an alarming rate and it would hardly surprise me if we see the UAC collapse here in short order. With West Georgia joining the ASUN and the WAC losing SFA and UTRGV that gives the ASUN 5 football schools now. If Stetson ever added scholarships that’d be 6 and we’d be able to have our own football conference. You guys would also be screwed if Tarleton ever got an invite to a better conference. They’d be a good CUSA fit for sure. Watch for MVC expansion too. You might lose UTA out of that one. If UTA leaves that’s probably the death of the WAC right there. That’d be 3 basketball schools you lose and 2 football schools. 5 schools total and you’re already on life support. Good luck convincing anyone to join the WAC unless you plan on giving a bunch of D2 call ups a chance. (I’m not against D2 call ups, I just think it’s dumb to be reliant on them for a stable conference. Sure didn’t do the ASUN any favors when they called up Queens, Bellarmine and now UWG)

Yes, it is hard to depend on the UAC currently with the ASUN holding the cards. The UAC is still a very good FB league though and is ok for now. The WAC will be ok in the short term as well. I invite you to read some of the other good threads and discussions people are having about the possibilities of the WAC. It could fall, but has proven resilient and actually could do some interesting things. Not everyone is talking doom and gloom for sure. I agree that the ASUN is in a very similar situation. It is spread out, took a bunch of small call-ups that weren't ready and not all like minded, and has a leadership that isn't focused on all the school's interests. UWG has potential above many of the others it called up.

ST_Lawson
May 29th, 2024, 08:29 AM
This thread got wild quickly. As a fan of an ASUN/UAC team I know that the FCS waters are murky at best right now in that Texas, Louisiana area. I think us ASUN schools would be much better off forming an alliance with the OVC/Big South schools than the WAC right now...

Makes a lot of sense to me. Austin Peay and Eastern Kentucky are both former OVC teams anyway with long histories against the more southern of the OVC schools. Two more feel like they're right in or pretty close to the OVC footprint...Central Arkansas and North Alabama. The only one that feels like a little bit of a reach distance-wise would be West Georgia, but it's still closer than Gardner-Webb or Charleston Southern in our "Big South" partnership.

UNAPride
June 12th, 2024, 08:48 PM
The UNA HC was on a local radio show today and said that Valdosta State and/or West Florida (of the Gulf South in D2) would be invited to FCS "pretty soon." We shall see. I hope it's the ASUN.

Milktruck74
June 13th, 2024, 03:22 PM
I'd bet with the financials involved, you'll see UWF before you see Valdosta. Both have strong FB programs and could make the transition that way, but finances are always the limiting factor!

VandalBasher
June 14th, 2024, 04:52 PM
The area that needs the most help is out west. I like the way this thread started off. New or re-newed conferences are needed. I would love to see the Big West schools bring back football at the FCS level. The BSC needs to split off a couple of teams to build other conferences.

Regardless, this is good conversation.