PDA

View Full Version : Latest NCAA Rule changes

ElCid
April 20th, 2024, 07:41 AM
Anyone else see this? Comments? Seems like they really want to be the farm league to the NFL.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2024/04/19/ncaa-approves-major-rule-changes-for-college-football/

kdinva
April 20th, 2024, 09:03 AM
Yuk

taper
April 20th, 2024, 09:07 AM
2 minute warning and able to use decades old technology on the field? That's it? I think some journalist is desperate for clicks.

POD Knows
April 20th, 2024, 11:32 AM
Here is a rule change that is long overdue, on a punt, if the kick inadvertently touches a player on the receiving team, it is no longer a fumble. I have never understood this completely stupid rule. Tell me I am wrong on this.

Also, the two minute warning is stupid, it should be eliminated in all football leagues.

ElCid
April 20th, 2024, 03:09 PM
Here is a rule change that is long overdue, on a punt, if the kick inadvertently touches a player on the receiving team, it is no longer a fumble. I have never understood this completely stupid rule. Tell me I am wrong on this.

Also, the two minute warning is stupid, it should be eliminated in all football leagues.

The two minute thing is for commercials plain and simple. We know who runs things. Who cares about the helmet thing. Just curious if it can be hacked. I actually don't wonder, it can, anything can be, but I wonder if anyone would make the investment. Like stealing signs.

I disagree with the punt thing. I always liked it because it makes players be alert with what is going on. Their situational awareness can be lacking. Take the far too many fouls on returns, as evidence of that. It would also add subjective judgement as to whether it was inadvertent, or on purpose.

Libertine
April 20th, 2024, 05:24 PM
For what it's worth, these rule changes are actually more in line with the UFL's rules than the NFL's.

Also, just FYI, the in-helmet communication rule only applies to games involving FBS teams.

Also also, the new rule regarding video technology on the sidelines and in the coaches box is the NCAA's second attempt at this and it remains to be seen if they can pull it off this time. They tried to legalize this seven years ago but completely botched it as, at the time, they had no idea of the logistical and budgetary hurdles that schools would need to clear to make it happen or even what it actually was that they were legalizing in the first place. I sat in a meeting back then between the NCAA's representative on the subject and most of the nation's college video personnel that, within minutes, devolved into derisive laughter as the NCAA guy had no answers for any questions and U of Hawai'i's video coordinator completely ripped him a new one. They cancelled that rule change a week later. Even though this technology has been widespread at the high school level for some time, this change goes significantly farther than even the NFL's video rules. As one might imagine, it's one thing to have the equipment and personnel to set up a private wifi network with 18 outputs in your local high school stadium and quite another to set one up in, say, Wa-Griz, Finley, or even Welcome Stadium in Dayton. The conferences are going to have to be involved to help pay for this as well as keep things even between member teams and I have doubts that some FCS conferences are going to be willing to commit to this at an adequate level.

Bisonoline
April 20th, 2024, 08:16 PM

On the punt thing. HOW can you call it a fumble when the player never attempted to catch the ball and never had possession of it? Never understood that one. But it sure was fun to watch when it happened.

POD Knows
April 20th, 2024, 11:28 PM
The two minute thing is for commercials plain and simple. We know who runs things. Who cares about the helmet thing. Just curious if it can be hacked. I actually don't wonder, it can, anything can be, but I wonder if anyone would make the investment. Like stealing signs.

I disagree with the punt thing. I always liked it because it makes players be alert with what is going on. Their situational awareness can be lacking. Take the far too many fouls on returns, as evidence of that. It would also add subjective judgement as to whether it was inadvertent, or on purpose.
You could access a penalty for an illegal touch, but the current rule is stupid beyond belief.

POD Knows
April 20th, 2024, 11:29 PM
On the punt thing. HOW can you call it a fumble when the player never attempted to catch the ball and never had possession of it? Never understood that one. But it sure was fun to watch when it happened.
I have seen too many games change on that stupid and unnecessary rule.

lionsrking2
April 21st, 2024, 02:09 AM
I have seen too many games change on that stupid and unnecessary rule.

Don't mind the rule on punts but the absolutely most 'stupidest' rule of all is a forward fumble into the end zone being ruled a touchback if not recovered before going out of bounds. In 2022, we lost in OT to Samford in the second round of the playoffs because of that rule. I've never understood the logic of rewarding a defensive team with possession for not recovering a fumble.

POD Knows
April 21st, 2024, 09:12 AM
Don't mind the rule on punts but the absolutely most 'stupidest' rule of all is a forward fumble into the end zone being ruled a touchback if not recovered before going out of bounds. In 2022, we lost in OT to Samford in the second round of the playoffs because of that rule. I've never understood the logic of rewarding a defensive team with possession for not recovering a fumble.
Hate that rule as well, thanks for bringing it up. I forgot about that one but a punt touching the receiving team is not a fumble either and shouldn’t be treated as such. At least on the other scenario a fumble actually occurred but both rules suck balls.

OhioHen
April 21st, 2024, 10:21 AM
a punt touching the receiving team is not a fumble either and shouldn’t be treated as such.
Nor should an inadvertent touch by the kicking team be deemed as the ball being downed. Neither is an intentional act.

ElCid
April 21st, 2024, 11:10 AM
Nor should an inadvertent touch by the kicking team be deemed as the ball being downed. Neither is an intentional act.

Except, as I stated earlier, we now enter the realm of subjective calls. Was it intentional or not? I like it being black and white. We all know how creative players can get when it comes to skirting rules. We'd just be replacing one issue with another. But the issue we have now is avoidable by just knowing where the dang ball is. Want to take the risk? Pay the consequences.

POD Knows
April 21st, 2024, 11:23 AM
Nor should an inadvertent touch by the kicking team be deemed as the ball being downed. Neither is an intentional act.I am actually OK with the ball being spotted at the point of the touch by the kicking team. The "harm" that could happen after the touch outweighs the current result/rule. These rules that change possession for non-intentional touching are dumb, as is the unrecovered fumble through the end zone.

bonarae
April 22nd, 2024, 04:41 AM
Uh, not sure on this... from the FCS Fans Nation group:

For those of you who may have heard about a new college football rule where one player per team can have a receiver in their helmet that can get communications from the coaches, note that it is only in FBS (and, if I read this right, cannot be used by them in FBS-vs-FCS games), although FCS conferences are allowed to ask the NCAA for permission to use them.

Bisonoline
April 22nd, 2024, 11:02 PM

For those of you who may have heard about a new college football rule where one player per team can have a receiver in their helmet that can get communications from the coaches, note that it is only in FBS (and, if I read this right, cannot be used by them in FBS-vs-FCS games), although FCS conferences are allowed to ask the NCAA for permission to use them.

Coaches can now communicate directly with one player on the field via a helmet system. This communication is signified by a green dot on the helmet and will be disabled 15 seconds before the play clock expires or when the ball is snapped.
The NCAA will allow teams from all divisions to use up to 18 tablets for viewing in-game video, including broadcast feeds and certain camera angles. These tablets are available for use in the coaching booth, sidelines, and locker room.

Libertine
April 23rd, 2024, 07:26 AM

This is mostly correct from a rule standpoint and completely correct from a practical standpoint. Yes, the in-helmet comms rule only applies to games involving FBS teams. This doesn't specifically bar teams from using it in FBS-FCS matchups but, if you're the average FCS team, why would you have invested budget money in the technology just for the one or two weeks a year that you would use it? So, because teams aren't allowed to have technological advantages on gameday, one should reasonably expect there to be no comms that day.

NY Crusader 2010
April 24th, 2024, 09:07 AM

I agree. Although, I did just find out recently that the 2 minute warning was actually instituted in the early days of the NFL, when time was kept by an official on the field using a stopwatch. Since many stadiums didn't have a visible game clock, an official would call out a two-minute warning at the end of each half. I always thought it was an early-Super Bowl era gimmick brought in for TV advertising purposes.

One reason FOR the two-minute warning. There are different guidelines for clock stoppage inside two minutes of each half as far as running out of bounds and such, and the two-minute warning kind of synchronizes that.

POD Knows
April 24th, 2024, 10:02 AM
I agree. Although, I did just find out recently that the 2 minute warning was actually instituted in the early days of the NFL, when time was kept by an official on the field using a stopwatch. Since many stadiums didn't have a visible game clock, an official would call out a two-minute warning at the end of each half. I always thought it was an early-Super Bowl era gimmick brought in for TV advertising purposes.

One reason FOR the two-minute warning. There are different guidelines for clock stoppage inside two minutes of each half as far as running out of bounds and such, and the two-minute warning kind of synchronizes that.Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?

ElCid
April 24th, 2024, 10:50 AM

One reason FOR the two-minute warning. There are different guidelines for clock stoppage inside two minutes of each half as far as running out of bounds and such, and the two-minute warning kind of synchronizes that.

That may be the original reason, but it'll never go away because of the 3 minutes of revenue currently. And the reason for adding it to college now is purely revenue based.

MSUBobcat
April 24th, 2024, 11:22 AM
Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?

I don't watch a bunch of pumpkin pushing, but doesn't the clock stop until the ball is inbounded near the end of the game but not for the rest of it? Maybe the end of the half also? I swear the clock typically runs after made buckets, but definitely know it stops until inbounded close to the end, which is why OUR playoff games scheduled after a meaningless MAC Nov/Dec game get bumped to ESPNews when the last 45 secs of the bouncy ball somehow takes 7 hours and 23 minutes.

clenz
April 24th, 2024, 11:40 AM
I don't watch a bunch of pumpkin pushing, but doesn't the clock stop until the ball is inbounded near the end of the game but not for the rest of it? Maybe the end of the half also? I swear the clock typically runs after made buckets, but definitely know it stops until inbounded close to the end, which is why OUR playoff games scheduled after a meaningless MAC Nov/Dec game get bumped to ESPNews when the last 45 secs of the bouncy ball somehow takes 7 hours and 23 minutes.
Last minute of each half in college the clock stops after every made basket. It runs the rest of the game.

You get less time on the shot clock after an offensive rebound than the standard shot clock.

That isn't new, and it's not why your game took forever. Without knowing the game I'd bet it was a large number of fouls. Probably tight game late and fouling to extend the game with free throws.

Average, non OT and non close game foul to extend, game is still less than 2 hours total.

Going over 2 hours means there was a hell of a lot of whistles unrelated to a handful of made baskets in the final minute of either half.

OhioHen
April 24th, 2024, 12:20 PM
Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?
No, but the clock begins to stop on a made basket in the last minute.

UAalum72
April 24th, 2024, 01:47 PM
Also in college women's basketball (and the NBA?) calling a timeout after a made basket in the last minute means you can inbound the ball at midcourt instead of having to go the length of the court.

POD Knows
April 24th, 2024, 02:32 PM
Last minute of each half in college the clock stops after every made basket. It runs the rest of the game.

You get less time on the shot clock after an offensive rebound than the standard shot clock.

That isn't new, and it's not why your game took forever. Without knowing the game I'd bet it was a large number of fouls. Probably tight game late and fouling to extend the game with free throws.

Average, non OT and non close game foul to extend, game is still less than 2 hours total.

Going over 2 hours means there was a hell of a lot of whistles unrelated to a handful of made baskets in the final minute of either half.Thanks for the correction on my post, I literally did not know what the answer was, and I now disagree with the basketball clock management, it is all arbitrary and stupid.

bonarae
April 24th, 2024, 04:20 PM
From the FCS Fans Nation group:
The NCAA Board of Governors will vote later this week on changing the seeding policy for the FCS championship tournament to seed 16 teams. (proof: https://herosports.com/fcs-more-playoff-seeds-key-approval-colorado-bzbz/, see first topic on that page)

Also, there is a change to the transfer rules; an athlete that meets Progress Towards Degree requirements at their new school (the quick version: 40% of the credits needed after 2 years, 60% after 3, and 80% after 4) can transfer without it counting as their one free transfer (or, if they have already used it, without sitting out a year). Also, if I am reading this right, the "graduate transfer rule" no longer requires an athlete to change their field of study to something not available at their old school (but when was that ever actually enforced - besides, as I like to say, most players did change to something not available at their previous school; a branch of mineralogy called "Ring Studies").

NY Crusader 2010
April 25th, 2024, 07:46 AM
Also in college women's basketball (and the NBA?) calling a timeout after a made basket in the last minute means you can inbound the ball at midcourt instead of having to go the length of the court.

Definitely an NBA rule as well. I never liked it.