PDA

View Full Version : NEC expansion

aceinthehole
March 19th, 2024, 06:09 AM
The Northeast Conference will have 7 football members (5 core + 2 associates) for 2024. I expect the league will announce 2 or 3 new members this Spring.

NEC Football:
1. Central Connecticut
2. Long Island
3. Saint Francis (PA)
4. Stonehill
5.Wagner
+ Duquesne
+ Robert Morris

Expansion candidates:
New Haven (NE-10)
Mercyhurst (PSAC)
Gannon (PSAC)

NY Crusader 2010
March 19th, 2024, 10:00 AM
Bentley also rumored. They are already DI in hockey as is Mercyhurst.

KnightoftheRedFlash
March 19th, 2024, 02:04 PM
I would be shocked if they went the PA schools route (unless it is RMU).

Let the conference die already.

aceinthehole
March 19th, 2024, 02:44 PM
I think they are done with New England this round and will take 2 PA schools instead. Since 1997, 6 of the 9 previous expansion teams have come from New England. The last 2 have not.

*CCSU (1997) - CT
UMBC (1998) - MD
Quinnipiac (1998) - CT
*Sacred Heart (1999) - CT
*Bryant (2008) - RI
*Merrimack (2019) - MA
*Stonehill (2022) - MA
Le Moyne (2023) - NY
Chicago St. (2024) - IL
(*Football)

CCSU and Stonehill are the only New England
schools left in the league and Central still does not want New Haven.

Yes, Bentley is a possibility, but hearing that Mercyhurst is all but certain right now. RMU ain't coming back ever, and if the league dies, so does SFU. The NEC is targeting any warm body in the region from D-II because they have no other options.

Chicago State saved the league's AQ and they need to get these D-II schools through transition ASAP in case Wagner gets an offer to join the MAAC.

NY Crusader 2010
March 20th, 2024, 03:05 PM
I would be shocked if they went the PA schools route (unless it is RMU).

Let the conference die already. RMU left in all-sports to go to the Horizon League. Less travel -- easier to get to Indiana and Michigan from western PA than it is to get to CT. Highly doubt they'd come back.

DFW HOYA
March 20th, 2024, 03:12 PM
Another reason why Northeast football is struggling: poor conference management.

The NEC has become little more than Division II callups.
The CAA is elongated and its veteran members are leaving.
The Ivy lives in its own world.
The MEAC hangs on, but not much more than that.
The Patriot is a league no one wants to join.

NY Crusader 2010
March 20th, 2024, 03:13 PM
I think they are done with New England this round and will take 2 PA schools instead. Since 1997, 6 of the 9 previous expansion teams have come from New England. The last 2 have not.

*CCSU (1997) - CT
UMBC (1998) - MD
Quinnipiac (1998) - CT
*Sacred Heart (1999) - CT
*Bryant (2008) - RI
*Merrimack (2019) - MA
*Stonehill (2022) - MA
Le Moyne (2023) - NY
Chicago St. (2024) - IL
(*Football)

CCSU and Stonehill are the only New England
schools left in the league and Central still does not want New Haven.

Yes, Bentley is a possibility, but hearing that Mercyhurst is all but certain right now. RMU ain't coming back ever, and if the league dies, so does SFU. The NEC is targeting any warm body in the region from D-II because they have no other options.

Chicago State saved the league's AQ and they need to get these D-II schools through transition ASAP in case Wagner gets an offer to join the MAAC.

Or LeMoyne....I like the Mercyhurst add. Would be only DI basketball and football program in Erie, which is a decent-sized city. Mercyhurst football not great on the field though, 2-9 in the very good PSAC last year. None of the DII PSAC powers seem to have interest in moving up => Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, Indiana.

Since the DIII straight to DI cherry has been popped by St. Thomas, what about RIT? Already has DI hockey and would be only DI hoops game in town in Rochester, a small city but one that has enough sports culture to support a AAA baseball team.

NY Crusader 2010
March 20th, 2024, 03:22 PM
Another reason why Northeast football is struggling: poor conference management.

The NEC has become little more than Division II callups.
The CAA is elongated and its veteran members are leaving.
The Ivy lives in its own world.
The MEAC hangs on, but not much more than that.
The Patriot is a league no one wants to join.

MEAC could get a shot in the arm if A&T and Hampton come back, which they should IMO. The HBCU are stronger together and it behooves those two to go all in on the Celebration Bowl.

I don't think it's the geography that's the issue for the CAA, it's the fact that the league has turned into an incubator for moving up to bigger and better things => A-10 in basketball or FBS football. The CAA has done a great job continuing to find that "next man up" over and over along the eastern seaboard the last 20 years (talking about both all-sports and football). However, once you've been forced to go dumpster-diving so many times, the quality starts to run out and legacy members start to question what they're still doing there.

WestCoastAggie
March 21st, 2024, 08:53 AM
Or LeMoyne....I like the Mercyhurst add. Would be only DI basketball and football program in Erie, which is a decent-sized city. Mercyhurst football not great on the field though, 2-9 in the very good PSAC last year. None of the DII PSAC powers seem to have interest in moving up => Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, Indiana.

Since the DIII straight to DI cherry has been popped by St. Thomas, what about RIT? Already has DI hockey and would be only DI hoops game in town in Rochester, a small city but one that has enough sports culture to support a AAA baseball team.

RIT, along with Johns Hopkins and even MIT would be excellent adds for the Patriot League. So, if the NEC does reach out to them and they do accept, it would most likely be temporary as the PL would be knocking on these doors ASAP.

OhioHen
March 21st, 2024, 09:02 AM
RIT, along with Johns Hopkins and even MIT would be excellent adds for the Patriot League. So, if the NEC does reach out to them and they do accept, it would most likely be temporary as the PL would be knocking on these doors ASAP.
Academic fit - absolutely. Athletically? Not so much overall.

DFW HOYA
March 21st, 2024, 09:57 AM
RIT, along with Johns Hopkins and even MIT would be excellent adds for the Patriot League.

No one joins the Patriot League.

Bill
March 22nd, 2024, 12:12 PM

In addition to DFW's comment...this would involve a massive financial committment from those schools. I took these numbers from the EADA report. I used RIT and MIT along with Lehigh as a Patriot League example.

Men’s: 8 full time HC….vs 3 and 1 (MIT actually has 13 coaches labeled as part time)

Part time coaches average $45k at Lehigh, 12 and 11 with RIT and MIT

Lehigh average HC salary is $114k….others are 58 and 38

Women’s – HC average is $75 k vs. 47 and 33
Assistant coaches Lehigh is $25 k vs 7 and 10

Student Aid - $14 million/ year Lehigh, $0 for others.

Lehigh spending about $13 million/year, others about 2-2.5

These are just the operations numbers...the improvement in facilities for all sports would be certainly more expensive...I'm spitballing $50+ million (assuming each school has adequate land) to even consider going D1.

Go...gate
March 22nd, 2024, 08:58 PM
No one joins the Patriot League.

Not sure that is true.

For example, you guys did.

DFW HOYA
March 22nd, 2024, 09:21 PM
Not sure that is true.
For example, you guys did.

No team has joined in 24 years (Georgetown joined in 2000 for the 2001 season). In realignment circles, that's practically never. Here's what college football looked like in 2000:

1. The ACC had nine schools, the Big East eight.
2. There were nine I-A independents.
3. UConn had just left I-AA.
4. The A-10 had, well, ten schools.
5. North Dakota State was still in Division II.
6. South Florida was still in Division I-AA.
7. St. John's was still playing football.
8. Hofstra finished #7 in the national poll.
9. The Pioneer was down to five schools.
10. There were only two undefeated teams in the subdivision: Robert Morris and Davidson. Neither were invited to the playoffs.

Go...gate
March 22nd, 2024, 09:55 PM
No team has joined in 24 years (Georgetown joined in 2000 for the 2001 season). In realignment circles, that's practically never. Here's what college football looked like in 2000:

1. The ACC had nine schools, the Big East eight.
2. There were nine I-A independents.
3. UConn had just left I-AA.
4. The A-10 had, well, ten schools.
5. North Dakota State was still in Division II.
6. South Florida was still in Division I-AA.
7. St. John's was still playing football.
8. Hofstra finished #7 in the national poll.
9. The Pioneer was down to five schools.
10. There were only two undefeated teams in the subdivision: Robert Morris and Davidson. Neither were invited to the playoffs.

It is pretty well known that the PL turned down Hofstra (which has never forgiven us) and essentially told Monmouth to stay away.

We have admitted other all-sports and associate members.

Villanova has been encouraged to join for football. That is another poorly kept secret.

Go...gate
March 22nd, 2024, 11:29 PM

Agreed. MIT is already an Associate Member of the Patriot League in Women's Rowing.

UNHWildcat18
March 23rd, 2024, 12:41 AM
"Patriot league rabble rabble thread"

KnightoftheRedFlash
March 23rd, 2024, 10:54 AM
"Patriot league rabble rabble thread"

The NEC is that boring and irrelevant.

Bill
March 23rd, 2024, 01:59 PM
The PL has a long and distinguished history of hijacking threads like this one. We can't help ourselves.

downbythebeach
March 23rd, 2024, 08:52 PM
RMU is down like 37% in enrollment in the last couple years. 20 years ago they were kind of up and coming, but those days are gone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2024/03/17/pittsburgh-college-student-population/stories/202402210055

Go...gate
March 24th, 2024, 01:43 AM
The PL has a long and distinguished history of hijacking threads like this one. We can't help ourselves.

Indeed!

aceinthehole
March 24th, 2024, 05:56 AM
RMU is down like 37% in enrollment in the last couple years. 20 years ago they were kind of up and coming, but those days are gone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2024/03/17/pittsburgh-college-student-population/stories/202402210055

Great article. How is SFU doing over that same period?

Any insight on Mercyhurst and Gannon?

KPSUL
March 24th, 2024, 04:00 PM

They need to change their name. I googled Robert Morris and the "Financier of the Revolution" and "First US Superintendent of Fianance" was in 4th behind Robert Morris the Author, the Internet personality, and the Sculpter. He ended up in Debtors prison late in life so I guess he wasn't really that good at finance.

DFW HOYA
March 24th, 2024, 05:38 PM
The problem isn't the name, it's demographics. Western Pennsylvania is losing college age population and Moon Township can't compete with State College or points east.

Of 362 Division I schools, RMU's endowment ($47 million) is 361st, ahead of only Utah Tech. It's 612th of 697 universities nationwide, which is a red flag for long term solvency.

Laker
March 25th, 2024, 08:25 AM
They need to change their name. I googled Robert Morris and the "Financier of the Revolution" and "First US Superintendent of Fianance" was in 4th behind Robert Morris the Author, the Internet personality, and the Sculpter. He ended up in Debtors prison late in life so I guess he wasn't really that good at finance.

That happened a lot back then. Overspending their means. Thomas Jefferson was a huge spender, had to sell off a lot of his possessions for being so deeply in debt.

Franks Tanks
March 25th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Gannon is much better positioned for D1 than Mercyhurst, despite the latter being D1 in Hockey. Gannon has a better academic reputation, better facilities and a larger endowment. Both schools seem to move in lockstep as they joined the PSAC at the same time and both have been mediocre in football for quite a while.

It would take a Herculean effort for a PA state school to move up to D1, but West Chester would be by far the best choice. Basically the one institution still growing, plus they were essentially D1 back in the day by being part of the old ECAC.

KnightoftheRedFlash
March 25th, 2024, 02:44 PM

He fell into the same trap many 1790s money men did: land speculation.

But make no mistake, without him, the Revolution wouldn't have had the Trenton-Princeton campaign.

ccd494
March 25th, 2024, 03:36 PM
It would take a Herculean effort for a PA state school to move up to D1, but West Chester would be by far the best choice. Basically the one institution still growing, plus they were essentially D1 back in the day by being part of the old ECAC.

Does Delaware need a CUSA travel partner?

nodak651
March 25th, 2024, 05:14 PM
The problem isn't the name, it's demographics. Western Pennsylvania is losing college age population and Moon Township can't compete with State College or points east.

Of 362 Division I schools, RMU's endowment ($47 million) is 361st, ahead of only Utah Tech. It's 612th of 697 universities nationwide, which is a red flag for long term solvency.

You certain that's right? Pretty sure there are a handful under 50 million, including EWU (off the top of my head).

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2024, 06:01 PM
You certain that's right? Pretty sure there are a handful under 50 million, including EWU (off the top of my head).

In hindsight, probably. This was from the NACUBO survey but it appears not all schools were in their survey of 697 schools. The only D-I school listed I could find below this was Utah Tech (the former Dixie State).

A check of the perennial cash-strapped Mississippi Valley State is even lower: $3.6 million in 2021.

https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2023/NACUBO-Commonfund-Study-of-Endowments

KPSUL
March 25th, 2024, 07:55 PM

Well, perhaps it is appropriately named!

RichH2
March 25th, 2024, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't say we hijack threads as much as improve them.😇🤣😂

bonarae
March 25th, 2024, 09:58 PM
Meanwhile... some more points:

1. Is the NEC unstable? Yes.
2. Is the NEC on life support? Maybe.
3. Is football in the Northeast on life support? Maybe... xchinscratchx

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Meanwhile... some more points:
3. Is football in the Northeast on life support? Maybe... xchinscratchx

On what basis?

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2024, 09:02 PM
With the addition of Mercyhurst, the Northeast Conference will have 8 football members (6 core + 2 associates) for 2024.

NEC Football:
1. Central Connecticut
2. Long Island
3. Mercyhurst
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Stonehill
6. Wagner
+ Duquesne
+ Robert Morris

downbythebeach
April 3rd, 2024, 10:06 PM
Mercyhurst is probably the best move they could have made. Already have a decent D1 men's and women's hockey team and no other D1 team too close (A10 member Saint Bonaventure is 93 miles away in NY). Erie county has 271,000 people and is PA's fifth biggest city, but was third about a decade ago. They are no better or worse than Stonehill or Merrimack. If they could get West Chester or one of the Public U teams from New Jersey that would be awesome, and I would love to see Shepherd U from WV.

DFW HOYA
April 3rd, 2024, 10:33 PM
Patriot League could expand with...
+ Duquesne
+ Robert Morris

(ducks...)

ColonialInsider
April 3rd, 2024, 11:27 PM
+ Duquesne
+ Robert Morris

(ducks...)
The Patriot League and the Atlantic 10 have always been the best geographic fits for Robert Morris, as well as ideal fits when comparing school size.

The problem is Robert Morris doesn't come remotely close to being up to the Patriot League's academic standards, and the Atlantic 10 has absolutely no use for another Pittsburgh school.

In all honesty, Robert Morris is the type of school that probably shouldn't have a Division I FCS football team. It doesn't win enough to draw large crowds or advance into the FCS playoffs to be even regionally relevant. It's a suburban small college football program in a region obsessed with pro football and with split allegiances (Pitt, Penn State, WVU) on major college football.

RMU is the type of school that should lean into hockey - it's the only D-I program in hockey-mad Pittsburgh - and hope that its basketball teams win enough to get the university the occasional NCAA tournament boost.

NY Crusader 2010
April 4th, 2024, 08:54 AM
Mercyhurst is probably the best move they could have made. Already have a decent D1 men's and women's hockey team and no other D1 team too close (A10 member Saint Bonaventure is 93 miles away in NY). Erie county has 271,000 people and is PA's fifth biggest city, but was third about a decade ago. They are no better or worse than Stonehill or Merrimack. If they could get West Chester or one of the Public U teams from New Jersey that would be awesome, and I would love to see Shepherd U from WV.

I can't think of any schools in NJ that aren't already DI who would be good candidates to move to DI.

NY Crusader 2010
April 4th, 2024, 08:55 AM
+ Duquesne
+ Robert Morris

(ducks...)

Sign me up for Duquesne as a football affiliate.

Laker
April 4th, 2024, 10:01 AM
Mercyhurst University marks new era in athletics with move to Division I - Mercyhurst University Athletics (hurstathletics.com) (https://hurstathletics.com/news/2024/4/4/softball-mercyhurst-university-marks-new-era-in-athletics-with-move-to-division-i.aspx)

aceinthehole
April 4th, 2024, 11:09 AM
https://twitter.com/NECsports/status/1775893614994010206

POD Knows
April 4th, 2024, 11:23 AM
I have never heard of this school. I guess they play D1 hockey or something. 🥱

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 4th, 2024, 11:58 AM
I have never heard of this school. I guess they play D1 hockey or something. 辰

Another lackluster call-up.

KPSUL
April 4th, 2024, 12:06 PM
I have never heard of this school. I guess they play D1 hockey or something. 辰

Catholic College in Eire, PA, the Lakers. They were already Div 1 in Hockey, although in probably the weakest conference - Atlantic Hockey. Seems like the NEC is getting desperate for full sport members - the NEC does not sponsor Hockey.

POD Knows
April 4th, 2024, 12:40 PM
Catholic College in Eire, PA, the Lakers. They were already Div 1 in Hockey, although in probably the weakest conference - Atlantic Hockey. Seems like the NEC is getting desperate for full sport members - the NEC does not sponsor Hockey.I heard the name of this school once, I think they played UND in hockey and I remember when I saw it I thought the school was from Canada or something.

etiger
April 4th, 2024, 04:44 PM
Their Football stadium is tiny. Holds only 1100. Is this what NEC football is?

DFW HOYA
April 4th, 2024, 05:16 PM

https://twitter.com/Reddit_FCS/status/1775959656227029338

Laker
April 5th, 2024, 08:07 AM
This is bigger than the gym that I played in at Buffalo Lake MN HS (population 707 at the time). But we had more people show up to watch. Most of the NSIC schools are nicer than what they have at Mercyhurst.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKVlnxFXsAEmG8B?format=jpg&name=large

kdinva
April 5th, 2024, 08:37 AM
This, still, is way nicer than Chuck South's gym.....

This is bigger than the gym that I played in at Buffalo Lake MN HS (population 707 at the time). But we had more people show up to watch. Most of the NSIC schools are nicer than what they have at Mercyhurst.

POD Knows
April 5th, 2024, 08:45 AM

Way nicer, Mankato is Ohio State compared to this.

POD Knows
April 5th, 2024, 08:46 AM
This, still, is way nicer than Chuck South's gym.....The town I live in is about 2500 people, our high school gym is nicer than this.

clenz
April 5th, 2024, 09:15 AM
I watch a lot...and I mean a lot, I can't describe how much honestly...of college basketball and almost exclusively at the mid and low major level. The amount of D1 "arenas" that would be marginal, at best, small town Iowa/Minnesota/South Dakota/etc. high school gyms is insane. I won't send all of them in this thread but if someone wants a list I can, because I have a database of places that I find interesting for any number of reasons.

As far as tiny gyms that belong to D1 schools that have no reason to actually be D1 that one is top half in terms of quality, as sad as that sounds.

I grew up going to a school that had 3 or 4 different "towns" making up our school district. Total population of those 4 towns is less than 1100. My graduating class of 2006 was 40 kids. It was the largest graduating class the school had ever seen to that point, and still since. Average graduating class is probably 25. Our gym is on par/better than most of the low major D1s. Again, tiny little school.

Then again, my kids go to one of the largest school districts in Iowa. The facilities this school has are on par/better than 80% of the FCS. Outside of the MVFC, Big Sky, and a hand ful of southern/east coast schools the kids that go play FCS from our school/similar schools in Iowa they are taking a facility hit. To the point where even the Missouri Valley Conference is hosting the conference Swim/Dive meet at a HS in Iowa because they have an elite Olympic size pool facility.

The number of tiny private schools at the D1 level that should truly be D2/D3/NAIA (especially on the east coast) is insane.

WestCoastAggie
April 5th, 2024, 09:40 AM
I watch a lot...and I mean a lot, I can't describe how much honestly...of college basketball and almost exclusively at the mid and low major level. The amount of D1 "arenas" that would be marginal, at best, small town Iowa/Minnesota/South Dakota/etc. high school gyms is insane. I won't send all of them in this thread but if someone wants a list I can, because I have a database of places that I find interesting for any number of reasons.

As far as tiny gyms that belong to D1 schools that have no reason to actually be D1 that one is top half in terms of quality, as sad as that sounds.

I grew up going to a school that had 3 or 4 different "towns" making up our school district. Total population of those 4 towns is less than 1100. My graduating class of 2006 was 40 kids. It was the largest graduating class the school had ever seen to that point, and still since. Average graduating class is probably 25. Our gym is on par/better than most of the low major D1s. Again, tiny little school.

Then again, my kids go to one of the largest school districts in Iowa. The facilities this school has are on par/better than 80% of the FCS. Outside of the MVFC, Big Sky, and a hand ful of southern/east coast schools the kids that go play FCS from our school/similar schools in Iowa they are taking a facility hit. To the point where even the Missouri Valley Conference is hosting the conference Swim/Dive meet at a HS in Iowa because they have an elite Olympic size pool facility.

The number of tiny private schools at the D1 level that should truly be D2/D3/NAIA (especially on the east coast) is insane.

The allure of the NCAAT shares are a big reason why they aren't.

If the Dayton Rule was ever repealed, then that would probably happen with football and a few other sports.

clenz
April 5th, 2024, 09:52 AM
The allure of the NCAAT shares are a big reason why they aren't.

If the Dayton Rule was ever repealed, then that would probably happen with football and a few other sports.
The NCAAT shares come nowhere close to offsetting costs.

Each conference can set their own rules for how the money is shared - but most split it evenly among all teams but the team(s) that earn the shares get a double share.

The true value of shares isn't known for about 6 years after each tournament - meaning 2024 won't be truly known until 2030) but best estimations is a c-hair over 2 million per game played for the entire conference.

For the NEC with the expanded teams that comes out to 200k per year per school.

It's not the share as much the free advertising on a national stage that comes with playing in that game and if they happen to pull an upset the amount of money that will generate. But that only happens to one school from those conference. Not the entire conference and it will last about 5 weeks max. They are almost instantly forgot about. St Peters doesn't exist nationally anymore. UMBC is nothing other than a footnote for 30 seconds a year when broadcasts note 1/16 upsets. Hampton beat Iowa State is a 2/15 game, I bet less than 300 people in the nation remember that except when you go to college basketball fans and go "remember when this happened?" and they'll go "Oh yeah, totally forgot."

Meanwhile schools are spending tens of millions of dollars moving from D2 to D1 to increase scholarship budgets, coaching budgets, admin budgets, extra staff, extra compliance, facility upgrades, etc. all for 200k a year in NCAA tournament shares per year

POD Knows
April 5th, 2024, 11:56 AM

The number of tiny private schools at the D1 level that should truly be D2/D3/NAIA (especially on the east coast) is insane.That might be a good thread, I don't watch a lot of basketball but saw a little of a game with a couple Northeastern teams and the gym was a freaking dungeon. Can't remember who it was but it was a private school.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2024, 12:27 PM

If the Dayton Rule was ever repealed, no one except Davidson and the Midwest Pioneer schools would go back.

clenz
April 5th, 2024, 12:31 PM
That might be a good thread, I don't watch a lot of basketball but saw a little of a game with a couple Northeastern teams and the gym was a freaking dungeon. Can't remember who it was but it was a private school.
The Northeast and west coast is littered with tiny HS gyms.

There are some in the Midwest, but in general the schools between the Appalachians and Rockies at least attempt to have actual D1 arenas.

Like, I have taken many pot shots and the multipuprose facility NDSU calls a basketball arena, but it trully does look like an arena during a game. Chicago State - the school no one wants (and it's fitting because NEC thread) has a facility way beyond what they should.

Once you get to the outside of the mountain rangers it's just build small gymnasium.

Since I mentioned CSU and this is the NEC

Chicago State
https://www.gocsucougars.com/images/2020/11/1/AND04481.jpg?width=1000&height=563&mode=crop

CCSU
https://www.eurobasket.com/arena/cconnst.jpg

Fairleigh Dickson - I actually love the unique characteristics of this place
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/cc5b6a_3b93f9636e8448ee8edde7f726f233b8~mv2.jpg

Le Moyne

https://lemoynedolphins.com/images/2016/10/16/athleticcenterweb.jpg

LIU - actually just the Rec Center - on the other side of the wall to the right (from what I piece together is the rest of the WRC with Treadmills, elipticals, and the pool)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EM50FIXXkAEiU9r?format=jpg&name=large

St Francis
https://sfuathletics.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2017/4/11/MBB_vs_RobertMorris_017.JPG

Stonehill
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d50ee7_87c525b1f36b4190903b2da626174556~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_980,h_735,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/d50ee7_87c525b1f36b4190903b2da626174556~mv2.jpg

Wagner
https://wagnerathletics.com/images/2015/7/21/Spiro_Sports_Center.JPG

Plus the previous Mercyhurst photo with them joining.

ST_Lawson
April 5th, 2024, 01:59 PM
The Northeast and west coast is littered with tiny HS gyms.

There are some in the Midwest, but in general the schools between the Appalachians and Rockies at least attempt to have actual D1 arenas.

Like, I have taken many pot shots and the multipuprose facility NDSU calls a basketball arena, but it trully does look like an arena during a game. Chicago State - the school no one wants (and it's fitting because NEC thread) has a facility way beyond what they should.

Once you get to the outside of the mountain rangers it's just build small gymnasium.

Wow, yeah. Around here those would be considered HS or DIII gyms.

Quincy (IL) HS's Blue Devil Gym (3,900 capacity) about an hour from Macomb would pretty much put them all to shame except Chicago State and maybe Farleigh Dickinson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUt58LlAfY

Moline (IL) HS's Wharton Field House (7,250 capacity) is about 90 minutes north of Macomb (and about 3 miles from WIU's Quad Cities Campus) and would honestly be the envy of most universities in the "DI low-major" category: https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/28/ea/58/fb/the-banners-hang-from.jpg?w=1400

clenz
April 5th, 2024, 02:29 PM
Wow, yeah. Around here those would be considered HS or DIII gyms.

Quincy (IL) HS's Blue Devil Gym (3,900 capacity) about an hour from Macomb would pretty much put them all to shame except Chicago State and maybe Farleigh Dickinson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUt58LlAfY

Moline (IL) HS's Wharton Field House (7,250 capacity) is about 90 minutes north of Macomb (and about 3 miles from WIU's Quad Cities Campus) and would honestly be the envy of most universities in the "DI low-major" category: https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/28/ea/58/fb/the-banners-hang-from.jpg?w=1400
Yeah. Again, the HS I went to is lucky to have 100 kids total between grades 9-12 in any given year. There are 363 high schools in Iowa and mine HS is 311th in enrollment.

The gym is mirrored on both sides and would be on part with many/most of the small NE/west coast schools

https://i.imgur.com/JB78dte.png

But the dream of that 200k a year in NCAA shares and once in a century chance they win an NCAA tournament game is too good to pass up no matter the financial weight beyond that 200K yearly.

Go...gate
April 6th, 2024, 12:20 AM
Welcome to Mercyhurst! The more, the merrier!

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 8th, 2024, 04:19 PM

Yes.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 8th, 2024, 09:29 PM
The NEC has basically evolved into what the MAAC was 25 years ago.

https://youtu.be/NGmLsZTD0mQ

https://youtu.be/diD7g8IeEGs

NY Crusader 2010
April 9th, 2024, 10:50 AM
The NEC has basically evolved into what the MAAC was 25 years ago.

https://youtu.be/NGmLsZTD0mQ

https://youtu.be/diD7g8IeEGs

The quality of play is definitely better in today's NEC. Facilities across the board are basically high school though, especially the basketball gyms.

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 10th, 2024, 08:18 AM
https://www.indianagazette.com/sports/local_sports/mercyhurst-to-join-division-i-ranks-in-nec/article_b22951b6-a34c-59c8-a2dc-ef46756ccd02.html

Murray said that Mercyhurst will have to pay a $96,000 exit fee to the league. The PSAC bylaws state that a school leaving the PSAC “providing one year or less will pay an exit fee of four times the membership dues at the time of notification.” Murray said the annual dues to the league are $24,000.

According to Erie News Now, Mercyhurst will pay a $1.8 million entrance fee to the NEC.

In the NEC, Mercyhurst will join full-time members Central Connecticut State, Fairleigh Dickinson, LeMoyne, Long Island, Saint Francis, Stonehill and Wagner. Chicago State has announced it will also be joining on July 1. Thirteen other universities have affiliate agreements with the NEC for one or multiple sports, including Duquesne, which competes in the league in football and bowling.

NY Crusader 2010
April 10th, 2024, 08:53 AM
Will the financial windfall from eclipse tourism in Erie be enough to bankroll a nice new downtown arena for Mercyhurst hoops and hockey?

Pinnum
April 10th, 2024, 10:50 PM
Will the financial windfall from eclipse tourism in Erie be enough to bankroll a nice new downtown arena for Mercyhurst hoops and hockey?

They already have the arena downtown that could accommodate fans should they turn out to watch Mercyhurst in D1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdWtjxUE18

CHIP72
May 28th, 2024, 07:06 PM

1) Shepherd (which has a strong D2 football program and very good fan support; I’ve attended a couple of games there) is located in a town (Shepherdstown, WV) with no traffic signals…

2) I was a little surprised when Mercyhurst decided to move up to D1, at least from a football perspective, because they have been only so-so in the PSAC, clearly at least one notch below the trio of Slippery Rock, IUP (Indiana PA), and Cal U (California PA) in the PSAC West.

3) At least the NEC decided to not raid the Northeast-10 Conference (which is sort of like the NEC of D2 football-wise) this time. The poor NE-10 is scrounging up anyone they can get in New England and upstate New York to replace LIU-Post (now Long Island), Merrimack, and Stonehill, all of whom moved from the NE-10 to the NEC in the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
May 29th, 2024, 05:41 AM
1) Shepherd (which has a strong D2 football program and very good fan support; I’ve attended a couple of games there) is located in a town (Shepherdstown, WV) with no traffic signals…

2) I was a little surprised when Mercyhurst decided to move up to D1, at least from a football perspective, because they have been only so-so in the PSAC, clearly at least one notch below the trio of Slippery Rock, IUP (Indiana PA), and Cal U (California PA) in the PSAC West.

3) At least the NEC decided to not raid the Northeast-10 Conference (which is sort of like the NEC of D2 football-wise) this time. The poor NE-10 is scrounging up anyone they can get in New England and upstate New York to replace LIU-Post (now Long Island), Merrimack, and Stonehill, all of whom moved from the NE-10 to the NEC in the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ they lost a strong basketball program when St. Rose of Albany closed its doors.

Catbooster
May 29th, 2024, 01:46 PM
Looks like Mercyhurst is coming out to Bozeman in September. SFA just cancelled their games with MSU. Our AD was able to get a replacement with Mercyhurst despite the short notice, so thanks Mercyhurst. I imagine this last minute change cost us some money.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 29th, 2024, 07:00 PM
I'm still irate that our AD agreed to give up a home game (one of our four) against Sacred Heart to become the only NEC team to travel to Mercyhurst. Inexcusable.

Catbooster
May 29th, 2024, 08:34 PM
I'm still irate that our AD agreed to give up a home game (one of our four) against Sacred Heart to become the only NEC team to travel to Mercyhurst. Inexcusable.
You're only going to have 3 home games?

Our AD would get fired if we only had 3 home games. But it wouldn't happen since a good chunk of our budget comes from home games. We always get 6 home games, although IIRC we've had a few seasons with 7.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 29th, 2024, 10:02 PM

Our AD would get fired if we only had 3 home games. But it wouldn't happen since a good chunk of our budget comes from home games. We always get 6 home games, although IIRC we've had a few seasons with 7.

Yes.

It is the second time the issue has occurred under the current AD.

KPSUL
May 30th, 2024, 09:11 AM

ST Francis "Stadium"

Bobcat Stadium

Slight difference in lost revenue

clenz
May 30th, 2024, 10:14 AM

I thought David Harris left UNI to go to Tulane to be their AD, not St Francis.

Niche joke most of you won't get.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 30th, 2024, 10:59 AM
ST Francis "Stadium"

Bobcat Stadium

Slight difference in lost revenue

It is not an issue of revenue. No other NEC team had to yield a home game to travel to Mercyhurst. Either the conference forced SFU to do so or the AD volunteered as tribute. Either way, it is an act of servitude and knee-bending.