PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina to introduce new HC Dennis Wagner Friday!

WCU LawCat
December 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Read the article: http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/123107aab.html

Wagner to be formally introduced at a press conference to be held on Friday in Cullowhee

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics10/200/DC/DCRQDXZBOPBHIXI.20040204162416.jpg

Dec. 31, 2007

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina Director of Athletics Chip Smith today announced the hiring of Dennis Wagner, former offensive line coach at the University of Nebraska and head coach at Wayne State, as the 12th head coach of the Catamount Football program.

Wagner, who has seven years of head coaching experience, will be formally introduced at a press conference scheduled for Friday, Jan. 4 at 2:00 pm to be held in the first floor Hospitality Room of the Ramsey Center. The event is open to the public. Wagner replaces former head coach Kent Briggs who was reassigned within the University in mid-November following the 2007 season finale against Furman.

"I am excited about being the next head football coach at Western Carolina University," said Wagner by phone Monday afternoon. `Now is a great time to take over the Catamount program with the commitment that has been made by the administration. I am looking forward to working with our current players - they do not just want to hear about the future, but what we are going to do now. So, I am looking forward to getting there, rolling up my sleeves and getting to work."

Wagner comes to Cullowhee with more than two decades of coaching experience.

"This search process has been both intensive and extensive," said Smith. "From the beginning, it was our goal to find an experienced head coach, someone who had the ability to build and maintain a quality football program and who was a proven winner. Dennis Wagner fits that description perfectly. His background as a coordinator, head and assistant head coach, as well as his experience at the University of Nebraska - one of the nation's most storied football programs - makes him perfectly suited for taking on this responsibility."

"(Dennis) is a hard worker and an excellent recruiter. Teams with which he has been associated have been very productive offensively and exciting for the fans. This is truly a new beginning for the Western Carolina Football program," Smith added. "He and his family, wife Cyndi, daughter Whitney and son Josh, will be great additions to the Western Carolina University and the entire community. I am pleased that they will be joining the Catamount family and very excited about the future of Catamount Football."

bench
December 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
About damn time. Good luck, Cats.

Monarch History
December 31st, 2007, 04:40 PM
I hope this turns out to be a great hire for WCU. They deserve some good luck.xthumbsupx

catamount man
December 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/123107aab.html

Sounds like a good winner!!!

You can only imagine how thrilled I am that this is finally over!!!

WELCOME TO CULLOWHEE COACH WAGNER!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog
December 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
he is coaching football. NOT track and field.... right?xlolx xlolx

GOOD LUCK CATS!
'Dogs going for 5 in a row in Charleston this year!

catamount man
December 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
he is coaching football. NOT track and field.... right?xlolx xlolx

GOOD LUCK CATS!
'Dogs going for 5 in a row in Charleston this year!

The Son of Man is watching you!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

ngineer
December 31st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Little bit of a shock going from Detroit to Western Carolina...Hope it works out for the 'mounts. Need to get that SoCon all balanced out..xthumbsupx

2002jack
December 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Little bit of a shock going from Detroit to Western Carolina...Hope it works out for the 'mounts. Need to get that SoCon all balanced out..xthumbsupx

That's Wayne State in Nebraska, not Michigan.

ElonPride
December 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Is it me, or does this seem like the 5th time in the past 2 weeks that we've seen WCU "supposedly" with a new head coach? xsmiley_wix

Looks like a good hire.......WCU was in a good amount of thier games this past season, maybe a new coach can turn those into wins (hopefully not over Elon of course)!!

catamount man
December 31st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Is it me, or does this seem like the 5th time in the past 2 weeks that we've seen WCU "supposedly" with a new head coach? xsmiley_wix

Looks like a good hire.......WCU was in a good amount of thier games this past season, maybe a new coach can turn those into wins (hopefully not over Elon of course)!!

Our game this past October was a good one wasn't it? Hope to see it that way in Rhodes Stadium next year for, I hope, a night game.

GO CATS!!!

The Cats
December 31st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Welcome to Western Coach Wagner !!!!!!!!

catamount man
December 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM
Real excited about this hire!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ngineer
December 31st, 2007, 11:32 PM
That's Wayne State in Nebraska, not Michigan.

..still a shock....;) :D

The Cats
January 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Dennis Wagner Introduced as Western Carolina's Head Football Coach Friday Afternoon

The Catamounts' new coach was greeted by a standing room only audience at Ramsey

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/1640911.jpeg

Jan. 4, 2008

Press Conference Photo Gallery | Press Conference (audio) http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010408aab.html#

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina introduced Dennis Wagner as its 12th head football coach in front of a standing room only crowd Friday afternoon. Over 200 people and various media outlets packed into the first floor Hospitality Room of the Ramsey Center to welcome the new coach who was officially announced back on Dec. 31.

WCU Athletics Director Chip Smith opened with a brief introduction where he outlined the search for a new head coach before introducing Wagner.

"Today is the culmination of a long and deliberate process we started a few weeks back. The whole purpose of that process was to find someone who could come in and lead the Catamount football team," Smith opened. "Throughout this whole process, we were looking for a person who had experience as a head coach, who had the reputation of being a winner. And we were looking for someone who was passionate about their belief that we could - and would - be successful in the Southern Conference. Dennis Wagner fit every one of those descriptions."

Wagner began meeting with supporters at 1:30 pm prior to the press conference. After making a few brief statements, he met with members of the media before returning to the throng which had gathered for the event and continued to shake hands and share stories until nearly 4:00 pm.

"It's great to be here. And I greatly appreciate the opportunity to be the head coach here at Western Carolina. It's a marriage made in heaven for me and my family," said Wagner after being introduced to the audience by Smith. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of being the coach here. Obviously with the turnout today and the support of the people here, I think everything is in place to be successful here. I know this is a place that is hungry, and we're hungry."

Asked about his new team during the media conference, Wagner stated that with the relative quickness in the hire, he had not had a chance to meet with his players - but had already scheduled a meeting with his returning squad.

"I haven't seen any film and I've talked to just a couple of players but I know they are just like the community and the university. They are hungry to get started and to turn this thing around," Wagner said.

Wagner comes to Cullowhee with more than two decades of coaching experience, including seven as a head coach at Wayne State College in Nebraska. He turned around the NCAA Division II program which had posted a 2-29 record - including having dropped 11 straight - in its three seasons prior to his arrival. The Waverly, Iowa, native finished with a 44-37-1 overall record at WSC.

Wagner spent the last four seasons at Nebraska leading the Cornhusker offensive linemen during the program's transition from the option-based offensive attack to the West Coast offense. He has made coaching stops at St. Cloud (Minn.) State, Luther College, UNLV and Fresno State.

catamount man
January 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Dennis Wagner Introduced as Western Carolina's Head Football Coach Friday Afternoon

The Catamounts' new coach was greeted by a standing room only audience at Ramsey

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/1640911.jpeg

Jan. 4, 2008

Press Conference Photo Gallery | Press Conference (audio) http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010408aab.html#

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina introduced Dennis Wagner as its 12th head football coach in front of a standing room only crowd Friday afternoon. Over 200 people and various media outlets packed into the first floor Hospitality Room of the Ramsey Center to welcome the new coach who was officially announced back on Dec. 31.

WCU Athletics Director Chip Smith opened with a brief introduction where he outlined the search for a new head coach before introducing Wagner.

"Today is the culmination of a long and deliberate process we started a few weeks back. The whole purpose of that process was to find someone who could come in and lead the Catamount football team," Smith opened. "Throughout this whole process, we were looking for a person who had experience as a head coach, who had the reputation of being a winner. And we were looking for someone who was passionate about their belief that we could - and would - be successful in the Southern Conference. Dennis Wagner fit every one of those descriptions."

Wagner began meeting with supporters at 1:30 pm prior to the press conference. After making a few brief statements, he met with members of the media before returning to the throng which had gathered for the event and continued to shake hands and share stories until nearly 4:00 pm.

"It's great to be here. And I greatly appreciate the opportunity to be the head coach here at Western Carolina. It's a marriage made in heaven for me and my family," said Wagner after being introduced to the audience by Smith. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of being the coach here. Obviously with the turnout today and the support of the people here, I think everything is in place to be successful here. I know this is a place that is hungry, and we're hungry."

Asked about his new team during the media conference, Wagner stated that with the relative quickness in the hire, he had not had a chance to meet with his players - but had already scheduled a meeting with his returning squad.

"I haven't seen any film and I've talked to just a couple of players but I know they are just like the community and the university. They are hungry to get started and to turn this thing around," Wagner said.

Wagner comes to Cullowhee with more than two decades of coaching experience, including seven as a head coach at Wayne State College in Nebraska. He turned around the NCAA Division II program which had posted a 2-29 record - including having dropped 11 straight - in its three seasons prior to his arrival. The Waverly, Iowa, native finished with a 44-37-1 overall record at WSC.

Wagner spent the last four seasons at Nebraska leading the Cornhusker offensive linemen during the program's transition from the option-based offensive attack to the West Coast offense. He has made coaching stops at St. Cloud (Minn.) State, Luther College, UNLV and Fresno State.

They interviewed LB Drew Walker and that piece aired on WLOS out of Asheville on the 6pm news and needless to say, he is pumped!!!!!!!!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!