PDA

View Full Version : UNH's Dave Ball elevated from Jets practice squad

UNH SUPERFAN
December 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Late local Vermont sports last night said that Dave Ball will be on the active roster for the Jets vs Chiefs game today. Hopefully he will dress and see action, though that is unknown at this time. I imagine this game is like a pre-season game for both teams, looking to the future for players who can help them. Good luck, Dave!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Not on CBS in my area...I need to go find someone with a dish!

Good luck David

UNHWildCats
December 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
being in NY i get to see the Jets, normally i wouldnt even thionk about watching but i will now. I would expect to see him get some playing time.

UNHWildCats
December 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Theres a link to the audio for the game here....

http://channelsurfing.net/

Eight Legger
December 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Our former QB Stacy Tutt is also a Jet (now playing FB) though he was injured a few weeks back and put on the IR for the rest of the year. Good to see a couple A-10 guys getting a chance there, though.

whitey
December 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Ball has been listed as Inactive for today's game.

whitey
December 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Our former QB Stacy Tutt is also a Jet (now playing FB) though he was injured a few weeks back and put on the IR for the rest of the year. Good to see a couple A-10 guys getting a chance there, though.

Both of the Jets fullbacks are former FCS players as Darian Barnes is a Hampton Alum. In addition to Ball, Tutt and Barnes the Jets also have the following players from FCS schools on their roster:

OG - Jacob Bender - Nicholls State
DE/LB - David Bowens - Western Illinois
DL - Mike DeVito - Maine
De/LB - Marques Murrell - Appalachian State

Plus on the Practive Squad:
RB - Alvin Banks - James Madison
WR - Shaine Smith - Hofstra
WR - Marco Thomas - Western Illinois
DB - James Ihedigbo - UMASS

UNHWildCats
December 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
another reason to hate the Jets, as if i really needed one :p

Old Cat Fan
December 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Here is a link that has some details, said he sign on to be with the team in camp next year and learned the Jets system real fast, however also says that he would be activated for todays game so if not true, hopefully he will have a shot next year
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7557025

UNHWildCats
December 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
well he was activated to the 53 man roster. He just wasnt on the game day actives....

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 31st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Ok, so David was elevated from the practice squad and signed to a 1 year deal.

What is the significance of this?

In the off season what is the advantage of being on the regular roster compaired to the practice squad?

UNHFan99
December 31st, 2007, 09:39 AM
He will recieve about 25 grand more for being inactive. Maybe it was a favor for working so hard on the practice squad.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Can't you be picked off the practice squad by another team? Does being on the 52 man roster protect him from those waiver deals?

UNHFan99
December 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM
yes. being on the roster means another team cant touch him.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Quite the significance then -- more Benjamins and greater security! xnodx xnodx

Now let's take stock, Eric Mangini went to the same HS that I did and David Ball is obviously from my college. I will still have extreme difficulty rooting for the NY Jets! :p

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM
Quite the significance then -- more Benjamins and greater security! xnodx xnodx

Now let's take stock, Eric Mangini went to the same HS that I did and David Ball is obviously from my college. I will still have extreme difficulty rooting for the NY Jets! :p

You have 9 months to practice.

All together now.

J-E-T-S jets jets jets!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

WildcatFan
December 31st, 2007, 02:10 PM

All together now.

Have already started practicing. Living in Patriot's country - I'm going to have some fun with this onexlolx xlolx

Uncle Buck
December 31st, 2007, 03:49 PM
I hope he gets a shot, no doubt the kid can play. Give him an opportunity and i think he will open a lot of eyes.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2007, 04:01 PM
I hope he gets a shot, no doubt the kid can play. Give him an opportunity and i think he will open a lot of eyes.

Don't the Jets do pre-season at Hofstra? You might have to ice down some Blue Points and get over to watch! xnodx xnodx

Uncle Buck
January 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Don't the Jets do pre-season at Hofstra? You might have to ice down some Blue Points and get over to watch! xnodx xnodx

Sounds like a plan xthumbsupx

While they have been at HU for years, i'm not sure what their timeline is before they move. Either way, if Ball gets a chance to show what he can do, he has to make it on the regular roster. While he may not be the fastest guy out there, he has incredible hands and a knack for making plays. I have to believe he can make it in the NFL.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM

All together now.

You're going to need at least another suitcase of your power beverage if you think you can get me to partake in that cheer! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

wildcat_fan
January 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
That's excellent news!xthumbsupx

ERASU2113
January 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Double post whoops :D xoopsx

ERASU2113
January 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
You're going to need at least another suitcase of your power beverage if you think you can get me to partake in that cheer! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Love the player hate the team? :D