PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Chalupa Batman
January 12th, 2024, 08:22 PM
Surprised this hasn't been started yet, but time to get it going with some burning questions for next year.

How well will the Jacks reload after losing so many stars off their team (including definitely-for-sure yet possibly-not Mark Groowski)?

Will the Bison be able to build on the momentum of their finish to last year (and with a new coach to boot)?

Will the Coyotes be able to back up the best D1 season in their history and make the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time?

How long until anyone actually notices that Western Illinois is no longer in the conference?

nodak651
January 12th, 2024, 10:15 PM
UND fanbase starts 2024 on suicide watch. Will it end that way?

The Yo Show
January 12th, 2024, 10:37 PM
Another year, another tough sledding conference schedule in the MVFC.

ST_Lawson
January 13th, 2024, 10:34 AM
How long until anyone actually notices that Western Illinois is no longer in the conference?

I think a few teams might notice one less easy win on the schedule.

mmiller_34
January 13th, 2024, 10:42 AM
Surprised this hasn't been started yet, but time to get it going with some burning questions for next year.

How well will the Jacks reload after losing so many stars off their team (including definitely-for-sure yet possibly-not Mark Groowski)?

Will the Bison be able to build on the momentum of their finish to last year (and with a new coach to boot)?

Will the Coyotes be able to back up the best D1 season in their history and make the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time?

1. Chase Mason will be good if Gronowski doesn’t come back. Biggest questions will be the offensive line. I think the Jacks will still win between 9-12 games. Losses to OK State, NDSU, and some other random.

2. Bizon will be better next season. Right now they’ve got this momentum. Cam has a prove-it season and goes nuts; Bizon re-discover defense. Make a big run in the playoffs.

3. I think South Dakota has a set-back season. I’m probably wrong. But, historically, when USD has a break out season, the next season with high expectations is a dud.

3. Break out team this year —- ILLINOIS STATE

4. It’s going to be weird without Western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christiank22
January 13th, 2024, 04:51 PM
1. Chase Mason will be good if Gronowski doesn’t come back. Biggest questions will be the offensive line. I think the Jacks will still win between 9-12 games. Losses to OK State, NDSU, and some other random.

2. Bizon will be better next season. Right now they’ve got this momentum. Cam has a prove-it season and goes nuts; Bizon re-discover defense. Make a big run in the playoffs.

3. I think South Dakota has a set-back season. I’m probably wrong. But, historically, when USD has a break out season, the next season with high expectations is a dud.

3. Break out team this year —- ILLINOIS STATE

4. It’s going to be weird without Western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is very rationale and it also fits my bias so I approve! Lol

Redbird 4th & short
January 13th, 2024, 06:35 PM
I posted on another thread .. other than the "Fire Spack Now" club, the rest of Redbird Nation is feeling real good right now about 2024 season. STATS Haley put us in his 11-18 all other list and had below to say: https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/01/ne...r-view-mirror/ (https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/01/never-too-early-outlook-for-2024-fcs-season-sdsu-seeing-bison-in-rear-view-mirror/)
The MVFC depth is incredible. Illinois State is the one that could make the biggest jump, going 6-5 this past season, but with four of the losses by a combined eight points. The Redbirds potentially have 17 returning starters, including defensive end Amir Abdullah, linebacker Tye Niekamp and running back Mason Blakemore.
I posted some of this elsewhere. Aside from having 17 of 21 starters back .. as of this moment .. we only lose 8 SRs this year as result of big hits we took in portal after fall 2020 was canceled and then Spack going all "no mas" in Spring 2021. The exodus was from our 2019 qtr final team, we lost 9 to FBS (most started) and 1 to FCS Incarnate Word who became all american WR.

Bottom line, we only lose 8 SRs and 4 starters. We're doing well in transfer portal so far .. no starters lost, and picked up 3 P5 and 2 G5 so far. So after 2 very young fall 2021 and 2022 teams, in 2024 we'll have 55 upper class .. 25 SRs and 30 JRs .. half our roster. We really like our #2 QB who stepped in for last 2 games after #1 Annexstad went down. The #2 didn't skip a beat taking over .. smoked MuSt 44-7 and lost 22-21 on last drive to UND omn road. Most encouraging things was for first time ever under Spack, we brought in a #2 and didn't have to close half the play book .. #2 QB is Rittenhouse, and he's a true dual threat who reminds me of taller more mobile version of SIU Baker. So with Annexstad gone, we also got Kansas St QB transfer Jake Rubley (4 star) a Klieman recruit who didn't work out.

Anyway .. got a lot coming back. This is most excited Ive been in a while.

Chalupa Batman
January 13th, 2024, 07:45 PM

Mason looks like he has a ton of talent, both with his arm and legs. If he is given the reins, his accuracy and ability to read defenses will determine just how good the Jacks are next year as I assume they won't take long to reload everywhere else.

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2024, 09:02 PM
Casey's pizza will still reign supreme in the MVFC

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 14th, 2024, 08:17 AM

I see that Casey's bought out a Valero gas station near where I winter in Texas.

ysubigred
January 14th, 2024, 08:51 AM

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using TapatalkOh yeah, will be eating Casey's breakfast pizza next Saturday.. going to my son's house, and there is one 2 miles outside the Scott Airforce base gate..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2024, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah, will be eating Casey's breakfast pizza next Saturday.. going to my son's house, and there is one 2 miles outside the Scott Airforce base gate..

Scott AFB

previous home of the AFRCC

Redbird 4th & short
January 14th, 2024, 09:39 AM
Casey's has quietly invaded and taken over Chicago area ... I got one a few blocks from my home about 2 years ago. Seeing more and more in metro Chicago. Just pulled up this mapquest and was very surprised to see this many in such a short period of time.

Yet, still no deep dish option !!!!!!

POD Knows
January 14th, 2024, 10:18 AM

They have thin crust pizza now, about freaking time.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2024, 06:44 PM
I see that Casey's bought out a Valero gas station near where I winter in Texas.You are a lucky man. I have to travel to my office if I want Casey's, otherwise, I'm about 25 minutes away.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2024, 06:44 PM
They have thin crust pizza now, about freaking time.I'm sorry, what!

How did I not know this. Looks like I know what the office is having for lunch during our Monday meetings.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2024, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah, will be eating Casey's breakfast pizza next Saturday.. going to my son's house, and there is one 2 miles outside the Scott Airforce base gate..

Sent from my SM-G990U using TapatalkEven during the off-season, the MVFC is undefeated.

bonarae
January 16th, 2024, 09:06 AM
Not sure if paywall but worth reading:

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/sports/college/zimmer-zach-lujan-wont-be-the-last-coach-from-sdsu-poached-by-a-major-college-football-program

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 17th, 2024, 08:24 AM
My early top 3:

NDSU
SDSU
USD

Paladin1aa
January 17th, 2024, 06:03 PM
My early Top 3 -

NDSU
SDSU
UNI

POD Knows
January 17th, 2024, 08:17 PM
SDSU
NDSU
ISUr

Redbird 4th & short
January 18th, 2024, 09:18 AM
NDSU
SDSU
ISUr
someone is paying attention this offseason ... xshhhx

p.s. but FIFY too

F'N Hawks
January 18th, 2024, 09:25 AM
SDSU
NDSU
UND

mvfcfan
January 21st, 2024, 11:07 AM
I think a few teams might notice one less easy win on the schedule.

Well definitely notice over in Terre Haute. Maybe we'll be able to beat Murray State?

On the plus side I'll still get to see WIU when they take on the Panthers of Eastern Illinois in the OVC. EIU might be the early favorites next year after a good 8-3 season. WIU has certainly found a good home in the OVC and I think WIU football will get going in the right direction again maybe sooner than you think. The Leathernecks basketball team has been doing good too, despite that heartbreaking loss to Tennessee State last night.

ST_Lawson
January 21st, 2024, 04:00 PM
Well definitely notice over in Terre Haute. Maybe we'll be able to beat Murray State?

On the plus side I'll still get to see WIU when they take on the Panthers of Eastern Illinois in the OVC. EIU might be the early favorites next year after a good 8-3 season. WIU has certainly found a good home in the OVC and I think WIU football will get going in the right direction again maybe sooner than you think. The Leathernecks basketball team has been doing good too, despite that heartbreaking loss to Tennessee State last night.

Yup, basketball has really started to turn things around. Obviously turning a football program around takes a bit longer, but I'm hopeful we'll see a couple of wins next year...I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Professor Chaos
January 24th, 2024, 11:17 AM
Kept wondering if/when this shoe was going to drop for NDSU:

[Tennessee State] Football Names Tyler Roehl Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator (https://tsutigers.com/news/2024/1/24/football-names-tyler-roehl-associate-head-coach-and-offensive-coordinator.aspx)

I'm pretty sure Roehl was jaded about not getting the HC job at NDSU but this is still a very odd move. He was recently promoted to Associate Head Coach at NDSU by new head coach Tim Polasek so he's leaving NDSU for the exact same position at Tennessee St. Tough not to see this as a desperation move... I figured he would stick out the 2024 season at NDSU and be on the lookout for other opportunities after this next season.

Also worth noting that Tennessee St plays in Fargo next year and NDSU goes to Nashville to play Tennessee St in 2025.

SDFS
January 24th, 2024, 11:34 AM

[Tennessee State] Football Names Tyler Roehl Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator (https://tsutigers.com/news/2024/1/24/football-names-tyler-roehl-associate-head-coach-and-offensive-coordinator.aspx)

I'm pretty sure Roehl was jaded about not getting the HC job at NDSU but this is still a very odd move. He was recently promoted to Associate Head Coach at NDSU by new head coach Tim Polasek so he's leaving NDSU for the exact same position at Tennessee St. Tough not to see this as a desperation move... I figured he would stick out the 2024 season at NDSU and be on the lookout for other opportunities after this next season.

Also worth noting that Tennessee St plays in Fargo next year and NDSU goes to Nashville to play Tennessee St in 2025.

Any thoughts on leading candidates to replace him? Internal or External

JacksFan40
January 24th, 2024, 11:36 AM
Hopefully Brian Ferentz.

Professor Chaos
January 24th, 2024, 11:44 AM
They've got a couple guys retained from Entz's staff (RB coach Beshorner and OL coach Larson) that have previous experience as an OC at the D2 level.

Also would seem plausible that Polasek, being an offensive guy, would have connections from previous stops at Iowa and Wyoming that he might be looking to tap. So pretty wide open I'd say.

Gil Dobie
January 24th, 2024, 11:45 AM

He gets to work with Eddie George.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2024, 12:20 PM

What in the world is happening in Nashville, TN?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 24th, 2024, 12:58 PM
Step down no matter how it is spun. Good luck to him at TSU.

Gil Dobie
January 24th, 2024, 02:29 PM
The big strike against Roehl, was he didn't have experience in FBS or any place outside of Fargo. Now he is getting that chance.

POD Knows
January 24th, 2024, 02:42 PM
He gets to work with Eddie George.
BFD

UNAPride
January 24th, 2024, 03:04 PM

I'd say better weather but it was as cold there as ND last week. Yet, Nashville is a nice place to live. Lots going on all the time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 24th, 2024, 03:28 PM
The big strike against Roehl, was he didn't have experience in FBS or any place outside of Fargo. Now he is getting that chance.

I could see a G5 school or a position coach at a P5 school but a lower level FCS school? Nah. He was butthurt and this must have been the only job out there.....that's what it seems....

ST_Lawson
January 24th, 2024, 03:30 PM

Another small benefit...they play the majority of their home games at the Titans (NFL) stadium and presumably have some level of access to locker rooms there for the games. They've also signed an agreement with the city of Nashville and the Titans so that they get to play at their new enclosed stadium when it's built (supposed to be ready for 2027: https://newnissanstadium.com/).

wheatstraw78
January 24th, 2024, 03:35 PM
Could be in line to replace coach George in a couple years. Head coach's annual salary exceeds $400k.

Gil Dobie
January 25th, 2024, 06:54 AM
Wonder if he installs a NDSU-like strength and conditioning program.

Gil Dobie
January 25th, 2024, 06:56 AM
BFD

Not surprised, I know how you feel about people like George.

Gil Dobie
January 25th, 2024, 07:00 AM
I could see a G5 school or a position coach at a P5 school but a lower level FCS school? Nah. He was butthurt and this must have been the only job out there.....that's what it seems....

Probably disappointed he didn't get the Bison job. Working at another school with a coach that has connections like George, is not going to hurt him.

Bisonator
January 25th, 2024, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised by this job but I can't really blame him our AD basically told him he needs to expand his resume outside the program. Thought he would have stuck around another year and tried to find a better opportunity though. Good luck to him!

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 25th, 2024, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised by this job but I can't really blame him our AD basically told him he needs to expand his resume outside the program. Thought he would have stuck around another year and tried to find a better opportunity though. Good luck to him!

Cannot argue with this and I agree. I wish him well but excited for some new blood calling plays. If all the key guys stay, esp on offense, this team is going to be really good.

BisonFan02
January 25th, 2024, 10:10 PM

LOL, what the **** is that supposed to mean?

POD Knows
January 25th, 2024, 10:46 PM
Lmao. George Is 15-15 at a middle to bottom OVC TSU team. Sorry. Not getting the allure of the place but wish TR luck. The program has no where to go but up. I wish TR all the best.

Gil Dobie
January 26th, 2024, 08:10 AM
Lmao. George Is 15-15 at a middle to bottom OVC TSU team. Sorry. Not getting the allure of the place but wish TR luck. The program has no where to go but up. I wish TR all the best.

Heisman winner, NFL star, just added a huge network to his resume.

F'N Hawks
January 26th, 2024, 12:18 PM
Expand your resume by going to Tennessee State and performing the same job. Hard to believe that's his motivation.

TheKingpin28
January 26th, 2024, 02:18 PM
Hopefully Brian Ferentz.Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2024, 02:30 PM
Expand your resume by going to Tennessee State and performing the same job. Hard to believe that's his motivation.

Roehl was on Dom Izzo's podcast today and said George has reached out to him and wants the same type of offense to be run at TSU. I have a feeling EG is thinking he is gone in a couple of years and Roehl will be the coach in waiting...just my 2$ after listening to their converssation.

BisonFan02
January 26th, 2024, 04:12 PM
Roehl was on Dom Izzo's podcast today and said George has reached out to him and wants the same type of offense to be run at TSU. I have a feeling EG is thinking he is gone in a couple of years and Roehl will be the coach in waiting...just my 2$ after listening to their converssation.

I hope the Bison shut them out. xlolx

Gil Dobie
January 26th, 2024, 06:15 PM

I didn't expect you to understand.

NDSU1980
January 26th, 2024, 07:27 PM
I hope the Bison shut them out. xlolx
Just stop the QB run up the middle and then they don't have a chance. Roehl literally only knows one play.

Gil Dobie
January 26th, 2024, 10:32 PM
Rumors Landry coming to Fargo, new OC.

ysubigred
January 27th, 2024, 09:37 AM
Just stop the QB run up the middle and then they don't have a chance. Roehl literally only knows one play.I'm not sure, but YSU had a QB transfer there two years ago.. he sucked at the position.

F'N Hawks
January 27th, 2024, 09:44 AM
Think a bit deeper Gildo. He wasn’t leaving for the “opportunity”

Gil Dobie
January 27th, 2024, 02:36 PM
Think a bit deeper Gildo. He wasn’t leaving for the “opportunity”

And I didn't say he did, but there are positives he can find with his new position F'N Siouxsan.

Gil Dobie
January 27th, 2024, 04:03 PM

Being reported in the Herald. Ink isn't dry on his UND contract.

SDFS
January 28th, 2024, 05:50 PM

Sounds like it might be official - after one week at UND. The former UND QB (Landry) is moving on to NDSU. UND has now hired Isaac Fruechte. Not sure about the hire, sounds like he had a reasonable resume. Calling CLENZ, any thoughts. It looks like he had a cup of coffee on UNI staff.

Fruechte coached the wide receivers at Northern Iowa in 2019 and was on the coaching staff that led the Panthers to the quarterfinal round of the FCS playoffs that season. In addition to being the wide receiver coach, Fruechte also oversaw the punt and kickoff return units for UNI.

Libertine
January 29th, 2024, 03:31 PM
Football Scoop has an interesting read on the Roehl -> TSU move from Eddie George's perspective.

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-eddie-george-lured-star-north-dakota-state-oc-tyler-roehl-to-run-tennessee-states-offense

Redbird 4th & short
January 29th, 2024, 06:15 PM
Football Scoop has an interesting read on the Roehl -> TSU move from Eddie George's perspective.

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-eddie-george-lured-star-north-dakota-state-oc-tyler-roehl-to-run-tennessee-states-offense

chance to build your own model, rather than continuing to replicate someone else's so to speak. Though I realize, Bison offense has evolved somewhat .. you don't put 3 straight QBs in the NFL without some evolution. But still, it does try retain what made them so successful on general level .. I would imagine.

But I can see the allure if he believes Eddie George is the guy to do it, and there is some financial support building.

The Yo Show
January 29th, 2024, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure, but YSU had a QB transfer there two years ago.. he sucked at the position.

Check Tenessee State's page for him... https://tsutigers.com/sports/football/roster/demeatric-crenshaw/4779

He transferred after the 22 season, he played there in 2023 and as a QB, but played only 3 snaps all year and had a rushing TD it looks like?

The Yo Show
January 29th, 2024, 07:38 PM
Sounds like it might be official - after one week at UND. The former UND QB (Landry) is moving on to NDSU. UND has now hired Isaac Fruechte. Not sure about the hire, sounds like he had a reasonable resume. Calling CLENZ, any thoughts. It looks like he had a cup of coffee on UNI staff.

Fruechte coached the wide receivers at Northern Iowa in 2019 and was on the coaching staff that led the Panthers to the quarterfinal round of the FCS playoffs that season. In addition to being the wide receiver coach, Fruechte also oversaw the punt and kickoff return units for UNI.

Yikes, Landry played at UND and just did that to the program?

SDFS
January 29th, 2024, 10:04 PM
Yikes, Landry played at UND and just did that to the program?

Yes, it has a bit of a sting. I think in the long run it helps UND. It reinforces to management that the bar is exceptional high in the Valley. And they need to commit toward the program at a Championship Level because they are competing against championship level programs: SDSU, NDSU, YSU, SIU. And that list of champions does not include ISU, USD and UNI programs that perform very well on the field. This is just the conference.

clenz
January 30th, 2024, 09:30 AM
Yes, it has a bit of a sting. I think in the long run it helps UND. It reinforces to management that the bar is exceptional high in the Valley. And they need to commit toward the program at a Championship Level because they are competing against championship level programs: SDSU, NDSU, YSU, SIU. And that list of champions does not include ISU, USD and UNI programs that perform very well on the field. This is just the conference.
Hold up

YSU and SIU get "championship level" tags because they won a title 27 and 40 years ago? I guess it's technically correct, but damn what a bar to set.

Idaho State is also a championship level program to strive to be as well then. Big goals.

As for my thoughts on Fruechte? I have none. He was at UNI for about 8 months, 9 if we are super generous on dates. He was also hired because he was an uppermidwest kid, we needed a cheap/damn near free coach, and it was like March/April. We weren't a great offense, at all, but that wasn't his doing. He coached WR and because injuries crushed that 2019 we had 17 different players catch a pass and by playoffs had OTs playing TE and LBs playing OL. His job as a WR coach was easy enough as we had Isaiah Weston, who averaged 25 YPR. It was "Weston, run a fly and Moss rule it. If you're even you're open. After that I need the TE to run a route somewhere in the 7-10 yard route and the other WR to run something on the other side of the field to draw safety help."

I wouldn't put much in his ability to coordinate special teams either - 5 yards per punt return and a massive 15 on kick returns.

No opinion either way on him. It was also 6 years ago by this fall, so a ton has changed with him anyway I'd bet.

SDFS
January 30th, 2024, 09:52 AM
Hold up

YSU and SIU get "championship level" tags because they won a title 20 and 40 years ago? I guess it's technically correct, but damn.

Idaho State is also a championship level program to strive to be as well then. Big goals.

As for my thoughts on Fruechte? I have none. He was at UNI for about 8 months, 9 if we are super generous on dates. He was also hired because he was an uppermidwest kid, we needed a cheap/damn near free coach, and it was like March/April. We weren't a great offense, at all, but that wasn't his doing. He coached WR and because injuries crushed that 2019 we had 17 different players catch a pass and by playoffs had OTs playing TE and LBs playing OL. His job as a WR coach was easy enough as we had Isaiah Weston, who averaged 25 YPR. It was "Weston, run a fly and Moss rule it. If you're even you're open. After that I need the TE to run a route somewhere in the 7-10 yard route and the other WR to run something on the other side of the field to draw safety help."

I wouldn't put much in his ability to coordinate special teams either - 5 yards per punt return and a massive 15 on kick returns.

No opinion either way on him. It was also 6 years ago by this fall, so a ton has changed with him anyway I'd bet.

I hear what you are saying about YSU and SIU. But, at the same time it does show a capacity to win championships within the DNA of the program. As far as, Fruechte - thanks for the info. I was just wondering what impression he left at UNI. I knew it was a cup of coffee type of stay. It will be interesting to see how UND rebuilds its staff on offense. New OC, plus looking for a new OL coach also. Lots of turnover with coaches in the Dakota schools this spring - SDSU, NDSU and UND. Might lead to spring transfer portal activities also. The UND message board is going to be running hot this spring.

clenz
January 30th, 2024, 10:12 AM
I hear what you are saying about YSU and SIU. But, at the same time it does show a capacity to win championships within the DNA of the program. As far as, Fruechte - thanks for the info. I was just wondering what impression he left at UNI. I knew it was a cup of coffee type of stay. It will be interesting to see how UND rebuilds its staff on offense. New OC, plus looking for a new OL coach also. Lots of turnover with coaches in the Dakota schools this spring - SDSU, NDSU and UND. Might lead to spring transfer portal activities also. The UND message board is going to be running hot this spring.
I'd bet if you asked 100% of UNI fans a generic "Who is Issac Fruechete?" type question about 30 of us would even remember the name. Even fewer could tell you he coached at UNI, fewer yet, which season.

Again, nothing saying he's a bad coach by any stretch. Just wasn't here long enough to be anything more than a passing mention of "past coaches" in a media guide.

Herder
February 1st, 2024, 10:31 AM
The biggest challenge to the success of UND football at the DI level is and will always be UND Hockey.

nodak651
February 1st, 2024, 11:29 AM
The biggest challenge to the success of UND football at the DI level is and will always be UND Hockey.

False. Kind of, it's until 2030. It's the usage agreement between Ralph Engelstad Arena and UND. Hockey makes money - the REA is sitting on over $10-$15 million+ dollars and their only liabilities are deferred revenues from ticket and suite sales for games that haven't been played yet. The money for the recent locker room and weight room renovations didn't come from UND athletics - $$ for that was donated by the Engelstad Foundation, and 2/3 of the $6 million dollar scoreboard and video board were donated by the Engelstad Foundation, as well. I don't know why the REA and Kris Engelstad was unwilling to reword the usage agreement when Kennedy was president, but the money is there, and that's why former President Kennedy was fighting for it. Source: (page 23) https://www.nd.gov/auditor/sites/www/files/documents/Reports/State/2023%20North%20Dakota%20University%20System%20-%20NDUS%20Report.pdf

UND takes control of the building, all operating decisions, and all financials in 2030.
UND currently gets 0% on concessions/beer sales and suite sales, and only 50% of advertisement sales, and 48% of all ticket revenue, including for football. There are about 1000 suite and club seats in the building which are not included in the ticket revenue distribution to UND. I believe UND does get champions club revenue generated from suite/club sales, at least (not sure how much, but I believe a certain membership/donation level is required).

In 2030, the athletic department will likely report, at least, an additional 5+ million in top line revenue (from concessions/beer/suite/club sales). FYI, the attached basketball arena was paid for with revenue generated mostly from hockey (arena costs were financed and REA revenue was used to pay off the loan).

F'N Hawks
February 1st, 2024, 01:58 PM
The biggest challenge will be getting an athletic department and coaching staff that have some vision, desire and want-to.

SDFS
February 1st, 2024, 06:48 PM
False. Kind of, it's until 2030. It's the usage agreement between Ralph Engelstad Arena and UND. Hockey makes money - the REA is sitting on over $10-$15 million+ dollars and their only liabilities are deferred revenues from ticket and suite sales for games that haven't been played yet. The money for the recent locker room and weight room renovations didn't come from UND athletics - $$ for that was donated by the Engelstad Foundation, and 2/3 of the $6 million dollar scoreboard and video board were donated by the Engelstad Foundation, as well. I don't know why the REA and Kris Engelstad was unwilling to reword the usage agreement when Kennedy was president, but the money is there, and that's why former President Kennedy was fighting for it. Source: (page 23) https://www.nd.gov/auditor/sites/www/files/documents/Reports/State/2023%20North%20Dakota%20University%20System%20-%20NDUS%20Report.pdf

UND takes control of the building, all operating decisions, and all financials in 2030.
UND currently gets 0% on concessions/beer sales and suite sales, and only 50% of advertisement sales, and 48% of all ticket revenue, including for football. There are about 1000 suite and club seats in the building which are not included in the ticket revenue distribution to UND. I believe UND does get champions club revenue generated from suite/club sales, at least (not sure how much, but I believe a certain membership/donation level is required).

In 2030, the athletic department will likely report, at least, an additional 5+ million in top line revenue (from concessions/beer/suite/club sales). FYI, the attached basketball arena was paid for with revenue generated mostly from hockey (arena costs were financed and REA revenue was used to pay off the loan).

I have always assumed that the money you are discussing is going toward the masterplan updates for the Betty (new practice court and internal seating updates). As you mention, previously the REA was paying for the original buildout of the Betty. I believe it was around $700/$800k annually.

UND has three major athletic facility buildout goings on right now. And UND football is the focal point of two of the facilities and plus one other recently completed facility:

1) "Fritz" - Indoor Practice Facility - done
2) Memorial Village I (Coaching Offices and other amenities) - in progress

Coaches' offices,
Academic success center for student-athletes and
Community-gathering spaces – all on the ground floor – and
Several floors of market-rate apartments above, is like nothing else across the regional collegiate landscape.

3) Frederick “Fritz” D. Pollard Jr. Athletic Center Addition (Phase II) - In progress

Connected to Memorial Village via indoor “Hawkway”
Provides new locker rooms for cross country, football, softball and track and field
State-of-the-art weight room
New sports medicine/treatment areas
Replacement to the turf and track on current Memorial Field

4) Memorial Village II - Softball Complex - in progress

Located between 2nd Avenue and University Avenue
Would bring the softball program on campus for first time in program history

5) Betty Engelstad Sioux Center (Partnership with REA, Inc.) - NO Official Start Date.

Addition of practice court to the Betty
Re-imagined endzone seating for basketball and volleyball games

Other various improvements to Betty

In addition to facilities, UND supports CoA and Alston Awards. I think UND two areas to work on, coaches salaries and NIL. Overall the athletic department has made significant strides.

UND plans to spend nearly $1 million annually in Alston Awards to athletes

https://sports.yahoo.com/und-plans-spend-nearly-1-003200880.html

The point to all of this is that if hockey is holding football back. Then watchout for 2030 (REA facility transfers). Of course the statement by herder ridiculous. UND still has work to do but updates are in progress to level playing field for UND with NDSU and SDSU. Mr. Herder, please name 10 FCS football programs funded at a higher level than UND.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2024, 07:56 PM

None of what you said will make a good football recruit want to attend the hockey school in Grand Forks, ND.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 4th, 2024, 07:36 AM
None of what you said will make a good football recruit want to attend the hockey school in Grand Forks, ND.

Hockey has been and always will be #1 at UND and it should be. They are a blue blood program and it's hard to find another program that is overall better....Denver? BC? Michigan? Minny? Everything else is a distant 2nd.

Give credit where it is due. I've been to 2 hockey games up there in the REA and it is a great atmosphere. Football under Bubba is just moving along status quo being average...

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2024, 06:17 PM
Hockey has been and always will be #1 at UND and it should be. They are a blue blood program and it's hard to find another program that is overall better....Denver? BC? Michigan? Minny? Everything else is a distant 2nd.

Give credit where it is due. I've been to 2 hockey games up there in the REA and it is a great atmosphere. Football under Bubba is just moving along status quo being average...

Not knocking their hockey at all outside of maybe return on investment considering how small schools can be and still win a hockey natty. :D

The point is that it is almost similar to football for schools like Duke or Kentucky (compared to basketball...yeah....not like hockey but similar point)...it will always to tough to sustain high levels with a program...you'll have brief shades of where it is good, but it is a much tougher hill to climb versus a "football" school.

The Yo Show
February 8th, 2024, 08:15 PM

My wife is such an amazing person. Look what she got me for my birthday!

nodak651
February 9th, 2024, 10:26 AM

That's awesome!

SDFS
February 9th, 2024, 07:57 PM

Impressed that they got Murray St included. And the last year with Western. Nice

bonarae
February 9th, 2024, 10:41 PM

Where do you think this collection is available? Planning to get an Ivy set and perhaps also a PL set for myself, maybe... xchinscratchx

ysubigred
February 10th, 2024, 11:05 AM

33284She's a keeper.. awesome and so cool.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 11th, 2024, 07:31 AM

This is cool as heck!!

xthumbsupx

The Yo Show
February 12th, 2024, 07:43 AM
Where do you think this collection is available? Planning to get an Ivy set and perhaps also a PL set for myself, maybe... xchinscratchx

I am still not sure where she got it from, I will pry more details and let you know after work today.

MR. CHICKEN
February 12th, 2024, 07:57 AM
I am still not sure where she got it from, I will pry more details and let you know after work today.

.....CALL/TEXT/E-MAIL..........IT'S 2024 HERE.....IN NEW-ARK.......xsighx......BAWK!

The Yo Show
February 12th, 2024, 05:54 PM
Sorry Mr. Chicken, my wifes work means she isn't going to really respond till after work anyway due to the nature of her job. But in any case, I got the information. There is a seller on eBay. They make every FCS conference. Here's a link( specifically to the ivy choice for bona, but you can use this and just pick a different league)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133694263558

SDFS
February 16th, 2024, 12:44 PM
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/miller-coaching-exits-not-about-the-financial-gap-and-all-about-the-financial-gap

Here good read about UNDs general upgrades for football facilities and the need to address coaching salaries. In addition it talks about the recent OC changes.

SDFS
February 16th, 2024, 01:08 PM
Here is another one, with specific coaching salaries across the MVFC.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/after-coaching-exits-herald-data-shows-unds-pay-for-top-football-coaches-lags-behind-league-peers

Head coach
Mark Farley, UNI, $400,000
Brock Spack, Illinois State, $364,140
Bob Nielson, USD, $340,000
Tim Polasek, NDSU, $330,000
Jimmy Rogers, SDSU, $310,000
Doug Phillips, Youngstown State, $300,000
Ryan Beard, Missouri State, $275,000*
Nick Hill, Southern Illinois, $265,000
Jody Wright, Murray State, $260,000
Bubba Schweigert, UND, $255,000
Curt Mallory, Indiana State, $218,194

Offensive coordinator
Tyler Roehl, NDSU, $123,144*
Bodie Reeder, UNI, $123,000*
Ryan Olson, SDSU, $115,000
Nick Petrino, Missouri State, $108,834*
Tony Petersen, Illinois State, $107,136
Danny Freund, UND, $104,000*
Troy Rothenbuhler, Youngstown State, $102,000
Josh Davis, USD, $100,310
Mike Bath, Indiana State, $94,789
Blake Rolan, Southern Illinois, $93,636
Ben Hodges, Murray State, $76,000

Defensive coordinator
Travis Johansen, USD, $119,885
Jason Petrino, NDSU, $117,321*
Jesse Bobbit, SDSU, $115,000
Travis Niekamp, Illinois State, $113,772
L.D. Scott, Missouri State, $108,834*
Antonio James, Southern Illinois, $107,100
Jahmal Brown, Youngstown State, $102,000
Brad Wilson, Indiana State, $99,989
Jeremiah Johnson, UNI, $95,000.04*
Joel Schwenzfeier, UND, $88,400
Dillon Sanders, Murray State, $76,000

Redbird 4th & short
February 17th, 2024, 03:45 PM

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/after-coaching-exits-herald-data-shows-unds-pay-for-top-football-coaches-lags-behind-league-peers

Head coach

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

some programs are getting more for their money than others !!

Combined HC + OC + DC salaries .. though pretty sure Farley and Spack are the most tenured HCs by far ??

Row Labels
Sum of Salary

UNI

Illinois State

NDSU

USD

SDSU

Youngstown State

Missouri State

Southern Illinois

UND

Indiana State

Murray State

Grand Total

Average

ysubigred
February 19th, 2024, 05:19 AM
some programs are getting more for their money than others !!

Combined HC + OC + DC salaries .. though pretty sure Farley and Spack are the most tenured HCs by far ??

Row Labels
Sum of Salary

UNI

Illinois State

NDSU

USD

SDSU

Youngstown State

Missouri State

Southern Illinois

UND

Indiana State

Murray State

Grand Total

Average

These numbers are hideous.. potentially, student athletes are making more money than college coaches at the FCS level.

One thing positive I can say for Farley and Spack they must be doing coaching for the love of the game.

Redbird 4th & short
February 19th, 2024, 11:51 AM

Head coach

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

These numbers are hideous.. potentially, student athletes are making more money than college coaches at the FCS level.

One thing positive I can say for Farley and Spack they must be doing coaching for the love of the game.

Spack for sure .. he could still be a P5 DC and make 3x. He just keeps cranking out very good defenses. But he likes his gig, and wants to be HC, not just DC. And I do think it is truly love for game and wants to see this thru as a HC at ISUr.

edit: but his QB/OC/Pass game handling keeps us in 2nd tier of MVFC ... though 2024 look real promising right now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2024, 08:12 AM
Bison Media Blog: NDSU football will run into big money coaching staff at Colorado - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-media-blog-ndsu-football-will-run-into-big-money-coaching-staff-at-colorado)

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!!

xnodx

Professor Chaos
February 26th, 2024, 10:15 AM

Now this makes a lot more sense for former NDSU OC Tyler Roehl in terms of a career progression:

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1762132002549928268

I still think his move to Tennessee St was made out of desperation - this is a much better spot for him to climb the coaching ladder.

POD Knows
February 26th, 2024, 10:34 AM
Now this makes a lot more sense for former NDSU OC Tyler Roehl in terms of a career progression:

I still think his move to Tennessee St was made out of desperation - this is a much better spot for him to climb the coaching ladder.
Great move for him. Midwest town with very high water quality 😁 and I am sure he got a big pay bump. Ames is a nice college town. The company I used to work for had a big training center near there and I stayed in Ames a lot.

Gil Dobie
February 26th, 2024, 11:07 AM
Hickory Park over Tennessee BBQ for Roehl.

caribbeanhen
February 26th, 2024, 11:24 AM
Landscaping in Miami trumps those pathetic assistant coaching salaries

heck, WaWa employees probably make more

Gil Dobie
February 26th, 2024, 05:46 PM
Landscaping in Miami trumps those pathetic assistant coaching salaries

heck, WaWa employees probably make more

Buc-ees even more

uni88
February 26th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Hickory Park over Tennessee BBQ for Roehl.

Cornbread - https://cornbredbbq.com/

POD Knows
February 26th, 2024, 10:06 PM
Cornbread - https://cornbredbbq.com/
And then you can hit the Tip Top Lounge for a nightcap.

The Yo Show
February 28th, 2024, 08:57 PM
Still, gotta imagine that is some major whiplash, two job changes in such a short time!

Redbird 4th & short
February 29th, 2024, 09:34 AM

this may be the smartest marketing scam since Coke came out with Coke II ... he takes a new/lateral/demotion OC job, it draws a lot of attention about why he the heck he would leave NDSU for Tenn St ... but then everyone knew he was available ... same guy, but improved brand/results when it was all said and done.

p.s. noone knows for sure if Coke intended for this to happen, nor do we know if Roehl did either .. I suspect not. Either way, it worked.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 6th, 2024, 07:11 PM
And then you can hit the Tip Top Lounge for a nightcap.

My hometown out in western ND use to have a bar called the Tip Top....xlolx

POD Knows
March 6th, 2024, 09:40 PM
My hometown out in western ND use to have a bar called the Tip Top....xlolx
Stayed in your old stomping grounds back when I worked that area for my company. Nice little hotel there. Can’t remember if I hit that bar. Played the local golf course a couple times.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 7th, 2024, 07:53 AM
Stayed in your old stomping grounds back when I worked that area for my company. Nice little hotel there. Can’t remember if I hit that bar. Played the local golf course a couple times.

My memory is wrong. One of the 2 hotels was the Tip/Top Hotel. The bar you went to was either the Mecca or Pastime. Both hotels are still there. Not sure if the Mecca is still open but the Pastime was just for sale. It was a steakhouse also.

POD Knows
March 7th, 2024, 08:26 AM
My memory is wrong. One of the 2 hotels was the Tip/Top Hotel. The bar you went to was either the Mecca or Pastime. Both hotels are still there. Not sure if the Mecca is still open but the Pastime was just for sale. It was a steakhouse also.
Mirror Lake Lodge is where I stayed.

bonarae
April 17th, 2024, 09:53 PM
Reopening this thread after a month plus...

FORTY-TWO players lost to the never-dying Portal for the Racers?! Bison have been relatively quiet so far....

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeelys-tip-sheet-spring-football-transfer-portal-opens-and-so-far-all-quiet-on-the-bison-front

bonarae
April 18th, 2024, 05:13 PM
ICYMI... The Commissioner spoke with Sam Herder recently.

https://herosports.com/fcs-podcast-24-patty-viverito-bzbz/

Gil Dobie
April 30th, 2024, 06:35 AM
Losing Green is a big hit on the Bison WR corp. Next man up.

kdinva
May 2nd, 2024, 11:58 AM
Not College related, but I saw on "Yahoo Sports" that The Cowboys may release Trey Lantz. I personally wish he had played two more full seasons with NDSU. He'd been better prepped, IMO, for the NFL.

uni88
May 2nd, 2024, 12:03 PM
Not College related, but I saw on "Yahoo Sports" that The Cowboys may release Trey Lantz. I personally wish he had played two more full seasons with NDSU. He'd been better prepped, IMO, for the NFL.
As expected, Cowboys decline fifth-year option on Trey Lance’s contract (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/as-expected-cowboys-decline-fifth-year-option-on-trey-lances-contract)

The move was expected given it would fully guarantee Lance $22.4 million for 2025.
He is set to make $5.31 million this season.

SteelSD
May 2nd, 2024, 04:06 PM
If that happens maybe my Steelers will jump and grab him. Combine him with Justin Fields and hire the Montana State OC and run the 2 QB/RB offense.

clenz
May 2nd, 2024, 04:24 PM
If that happens maybe my Steelers will jump and grab him. Combine him with Justin Fields and hire the Montana State OC and run the 2 QB/RB offense.
He's still under contract for this year. They are just not optioning the fifth rounder tan 1st rounders get.

Same thing is happening in Denver with Zach Wilson.

They aren't cutting him.....yet, I guess.

Redbird 4th & short
May 3rd, 2024, 04:42 PM
very good point .. as great as he was at a very young age, he was still inexperienced. And his strengths at FCS level aren't really strengths in NFL so much, especially when you play for the top FCS program. More experience certainly would have helped his chances at next level. That said, his resume was very impressive.

Bisonoline
May 3rd, 2024, 09:17 PM

He really has no experience. Had a very short college career. Hes been injured and or on the bench for the majority of his pro career. He took a money grab . Most would have also. But he is what he is. Whose going to waste a few more million on him in the hope he will magically spring in to a NFL QB???

ST_Lawson
May 8th, 2024, 08:29 AM
Not directly MVFC-related, but apparently Northern Colorado to the Summit League is gaining steam: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1787922259484516782
There's a good chance that that would also involve an invite to the MVFC, but it's hard to say.

Also, as discussed in the recent WAC/UAC thread, Utah Tech and Southern Utah could be left out of the WAC falls apart and might be interested in moving (in the case of SUU, back) to the Summit.
That could end up being the final domino for the Dakota schools finally starting up Summit League Football.

You'd have...
Summit League Football - NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, plus possibly St. Thomas if they decide they want to go full-scholarship....7-8 teams.
Missouri Valley Football - UNI, SIU, ILSU, INSU, Missouri State, Murray State, and probably Youngstown State...7 teams.

clenz
May 8th, 2024, 08:49 AM
With WIU gone there is an "open spot", so to speak, in the MVFC as we are at 11. 12 is too big. 11 is too big. However, it is what it is right now and I'd welcome UNC with open arms. Schedule wise I'm not sure how it would be handled but it could create "divisions" or "protected rivals" or "travel partners" or "pods". Who knows.

I said in the other thread that this could be a step toward SLF and it is one of the few ways I actually saw it happening.

It would either happen if the MVFC/MVC no longer exists as we know it - which isn't happening - or it would take the west/southern/southwest FCS partially falling apart. We are getting that with what the SLC/ASUN/WAC has tried to do and failed with he last few years.

Summit League with enough full time members to stablize their conference is a good thing for them.

The Valley with enough full time members to still be stable is a good thing for them.

I don't mind what we have now. It's helped the summit tremendously attract schools and retain key members. If a split happens in a few years if the Summit goes to 14 full time members with enough of them having football then it happens.

If that happens I'd love for the MVC to finally take the MVFC and just make it a MVC sport - though it won't happen because Bradley and Evansville would throw a fit.

SteelSD
May 8th, 2024, 05:07 PM
Not directly MVFC-related, but apparently Northern Colorado to the Summit League is gaining steam: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1787922259484516782
There's a good chance that that would also involve an invite to the MVFC, but it's hard to say.

Also, as discussed in the recent WAC/UAC thread, Utah Tech and Southern Utah could be left out of the WAC falls apart and might be interested in moving (in the case of SUU, back) to the Summit.
That could end up being the final domino for the Dakota schools finally starting up Summit League Football.

You'd have...
Summit League Football - NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, plus possibly St. Thomas if they decide they want to go full-scholarship....7-8 teams.
Missouri Valley Football - UNI, SIU, ILSU, INSU, Missouri State, Murray State, and probably Youngstown State...7 teams.
This is probably a very logical move and probably makes a fair amount of sense. Frankly I've always felt that the best move for the SL (or more specifically the Dakota Schools) is to move West. I think stability of the SL is a good thing, but there is always the question of how stable it truly is? Unlike the MVC the non-Dakota members always seem to have one foot out the door. We have already brought back Oral Roberts and KC who were one time members who left the conference for "greener pastures" only to come crawling back when the pasture burned down. Now potentially SUU wants to add their name to that list. I'm really tired of schools coming to the SL who are fine being mediocre or even less than mediocre while awaiting the next upward move to "something better" rather than actually getting better themselves and making the SL actually a good conference. So adding "stability" I suppose is fine but the question is are we adding quality? If the answer to that isn't a resounding yes, then why? We don't make the conference any stronger which then leaves the non-Dakota schools still wanting to bolt because heaven forbid they actually improve.

The thing that makes the most sense to me is to begin a conference with the 4 Dakota schools and the 2 Montana schools. Football aside, that is a group of like minded schools that are also strong in other sports. I would be far more likely to drive to a men's BB from Brookings to Billings than I would be to drive to Omaha for one. Now maybe the Montana's don't have an interest and are more interested in playing UCD than USD, idk. But for me, give me a football conference of USD, UND, NDSU, SDSU, UM, MSU, UNC, and Weber and let's go.

Professor Chaos
May 10th, 2024, 09:15 AM
Missouri State going to CUSA in all sports starting in 25/26... mark me down as skeptical that's a good move for their athletic department but given the size and amount of resources at that school they maybe had to do something to shake up the proverbial apple cart.

https://twitter.com/ConferenceUSA/status/1788932174931976317

MVFC back down to a more manageable 10 members starting in 2025 but with as fluid as things are these days who knows what other schools will come/go by that time.

Bisonville meltdown also commencing with this news....

Professor Chaos
May 30th, 2024, 12:39 PM
The NDSU/SDSU game on 10/19 will be nationally televised on the ESPN networks this fall:

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1796226672024297861

Details coming in network and potential kickoff time (NDSU usually kicks off at 2:30PM CT but that may change with the TV slot).

EDIT: USD/SDSU game on 10/26 also will be on national TV (two straight national TV games for SDSU):

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1796235123874038206