PDA

View Full Version : Predictions...Who do you think will be the next NDSU head football coach?

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 10:49 AM
Surprised this hasn't been started yet. So make your guesses, predictions, wish list or whatever you want to call it.

Go!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2023, 10:52 AM
Would an up and coming P5 coordinator take a pay cut perhaps for the "opportunity" to lead a great FCS program?

Nate Scheelhaase (OC) at Iowa State came to mind.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Pretty unlikely they go with an external hire given how close they are to early signing day (they're sitting at 23 known commits including preferred walk-ons) and with 6 figure NIL offers from other schools on multiple current players to transfer. That means offensive coordinator Tyler Roehl is the most likely choice.

If they go external I would expect Montana St head coach Brent Vigen (former NDSU player and coach - ND native) to be at the top of their list along with Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (2 former stints on NDSU's staff under Bohl and Klieman, respectively). But any external hire probably means a mass exodus of coaches, recruits, and transfers.

Silenoz
December 11th, 2023, 10:59 AM
My wishful thinking says Vigen. I have no idea though. I imagine those boosters are throwing every promise they can at him.

Also, my wishful thinking says he is free to take Mellott, McCullough, Davis, and Grebe with him too xlolx

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Pretty unlikely they go with an external hire given how close they are to early signing day (they're sitting at 23 known commits - including preferred walk-ons) and with 6 figure NIL offers from other schools on multiple current players to transfer. That means offensive coordinator Tyler Roehl is the most likely choice.

If they go external I would expect Montana St head coach Brent Vigen (former NDSU player and coach - ND native) to be at the top of their list along with Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (2 former stints on NDSU's staff under Bohl and Klieman, respectively). But any external hire probably means a mass exodus of coaches, recruits, and transfers.
I would be OK with the three you mentioned, my preference order would be Polasek, Vigen, Roehl, but I would bet they go the easy route with Roehl. This AD Larson guy doesn’t strike me as a risk taker.

wapiti
December 11th, 2023, 11:03 AM
HC from a top lower division team.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2023, 11:19 AM
It'll be Roehl guaranteed

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2023, 11:20 AM
FUBeAR - went to the post office and mailed off his application this morning

NDSU1980
December 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
I'd prefer Scottie Hazelton but not sure he's interested. I'd bet it's going to QB Run Roehl.

As I said yesterday in a different thread Matt Larsen is too lazy to interview more than one person and besides he can't tie up the phone setting up interview appointments. After all, Larsen keeps saying he's "waiting for opportunity to go FBS". Gotta keep those phone lines clear while he waits.

No doubt in my mind it will be Roehl.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2023, 11:23 AM
FUBeAR - went to the post office and mailed off his application this morning
That's too bad as it probably won't make it to Fargo by the time Roehl is announced as HC.xlolx

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 11:23 AM
HC from a top lower division team.Zero chance of this, less than zero. By lower division, do you mean D2 and lower?

taper
December 11th, 2023, 11:43 AM
90% chance it's Roehl. I'm not a big fan of his playcalling as OC, but he's apparently *really* good at recruiting and is highly respected by the players. He has a lot of potential as a CEO coach. In the modern era of the portal that's a huge plus.
An insider hinted on twitter that Jamar Cain is interested. Currently position NFL coach so it'd be a big pay cut, but he has history at NDSU and getting some natty's as HC is a big resume boost that could pay off later. Not sure the calendar allows an external hire though.

acbearkat
December 11th, 2023, 02:02 PM
90% chance it's Roehl. I'm not a big fan of his playcalling as OC, but he's apparently *really* good at recruiting and is highly respected by the players. He has a lot of potential as a CEO coach. In the modern era of the portal that's a huge plus.
An insider hinted on twitter that Jamar Cain is interested. Currently position NFL coach so it'd be a big pay cut, but he has history at NDSU and getting some natty's as HC is a big resume boost that could pay off later. Not sure the calendar allows an external hire though.

The name Jamar Cain sounded familiar, and I had to look it up. He was the outside linebackers coach and defensive ends coach at Oklahoma during Lincoln Riley's last two seasons there. Who knows, he might be a good head coach at the college level.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2023, 02:41 PM
I'd rather have Hazelton or Polasek but we will get Roehl. I'd like for him to bring in Polasek to settle things down and he focuses on being a CEO vs a rah-rah guy. I think we will continue to slip if Roehl wants to do both.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2023, 02:59 PM
https://twitter.com/KolpackInForum/status/1734310015606177875
This doesn't guarantee it'll be an internal hire but definitely no national search waiting to see who's interested. I would hope Matt Larsen has had a short list of potential football head coaches for some time so could still be an external hire but probably another sign that internal is where they'll look.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2023, 05:06 PM
I'd prefer Tim Polasek. Endless energy and a players coach. He's also a great recruiter and would bleed Bison green and yellow.

Roehl.....if he is named the coach then that's fine I guess, get him out of the play calling. Bring back Messingham as the OC.

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2023, 05:19 PM
If it was Roehl wouldn't you expect it to be a quick announcement and Entz to be on his way? And Hands off Vigen, but you can have House, Willy and a 6pack to go.

NDSU1980
December 11th, 2023, 05:31 PM
I'd gladly take Jamar Cain as well. He might be the type of person who would actually push to go FBS as well.

BisonFan02
December 11th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Bobby Hauck as long as it's announced in the next few days.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2023, 06:43 PM
If it was Roehl wouldn't you expect it to be a quick announcement and Entz to be on his way? And Hands off Vigen, but you can have House, Willy and a 6pack to go.
Nah, the last two times (2013 and 2018 playoffs) the old head man stayed on even though the new guy was also on staff. And in those cases the old guy was leaving for another head job so he had a lot more responsibility at his new school than Entz will have at USC.

Gil Dobie
December 12th, 2023, 06:56 AM
Roehl, because Entz isn't taking the staff with him.

POD Knows
December 12th, 2023, 10:11 AM
I'd gladly take Jamar Cain as well. He might be the type of person who would actually push to go FBS as well.I would be good with this too but how much money would it take and why would a NFL guy step down to FCS.

taper
December 12th, 2023, 10:25 AM
I would be good with this too but how much money would it take and why would a NFL guy step down to FCS.
Resume builder. A title or 2 at any level opens doors down the line. Still a long shot though.

BisonBacker
December 12th, 2023, 10:35 AM
Roehl, because Entz isn't taking the staff with him.

Or Roehl because Matt Larson will be lazy and take the easy route.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2023, 12:08 PM
You're right that this would be the hard route:
https://twitter.com/BaconLuke71/status/1734629053485793367

Preferred Walk-On
December 12th, 2023, 02:20 PM
You're right that this would be the hard route:
https://twitter.com/BaconLuke71/status/1734629053485793367

While I appreciate current players providing their current insight/opinions, these types of veiled threats are also part of the problem (inmates running the asylum), and a bit of the reason why people have generally questioned the current "culture" within the current Bison football program. As for the former player(s) providing opinions, they maybe have only known Tyler and not other potential candidates, so it seems somewhat inappropriate to speculate on how current players will respond...and to use this as a veiled pawn to publicly influence hiring.

These are opinions that players (former and current) have every right to share, but it does say something regarding culture about how they choose to share them. Best of luck, Matt Larson and future Bison head coach.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2023, 02:36 PM
While I appreciate current players providing their current insight/opinions, these types of veiled threats are also part of the problem (inmates running the asylum), and a bit of the reason why people have generally questioned the current "culture" within the current Bison football program. As for the former player(s) providing opinions, they maybe have only known Tyler and not other potential candidates, so it seems somewhat inappropriate to speculate on how current players will respond...and to use this as a veiled pawn to publicly influence hiring.

These are opinions that players (former and current) have every right to share, but it does say something regarding culture about how they choose to share them. Best of luck, Matt Larson and future Bison head coach.
That's the whole reason why internal hires are made when a program has the current success that NDSU is having. You blow up a program that has made 13 straight (fall) semifinal appearances by making an external hire you better be right. I'm not arguing that Roehl is the easy hire and external is the hard hire - you can spin making the easy hire as letting the inmates run the asylum just as I can spin making the external hire as overthinking it.

The difference is making the easy decision gives Larsen an out if things go sideways under the new coach - making the hard decision means he's may also be out of a job if things go sideways.

Preferred Walk-On
December 12th, 2023, 03:12 PM
That's the whole reason why internal hires are made when a program has the current success that NDSU is having. You blow up a program that has made 13 straight (fall) semifinal appearances by making an external hire you better be right. I'm not arguing that Roehl is the easy hire and external is the hard hire - you can spin making the easy hire as letting the inmates run the asylum just as I can spin making the external hire as overthrowing it.

The difference is making the easy decision gives Larsen an out if things go sideways under the new coach - making the hard decision means he's may also be out of a job if things go sideways.

I don't disagree with you, and I suspect some of the same things were said about Entz when deciding to replace Klieman. Yet it is unclear that that assisted in maintaining the current success...or culture (and it has been argued elsewhere to the contrary).

While I don't think anyone can reasonably argue about Entz's success at NDSU (only way he could go was down, and it is not a precipitous drop by any means...and we Bison fans have been spoiled), one can conjecture about the culture a bit. To be fair to Entz, the transfer portal and NIL are really beasts that have contributed to his perceived decline in success and maybe even the culture change. I think the potential problem is that Roehl has been along for the entirety of that ride. So, what would he do differently (or not) to change the culture (or not)? Or maybe there isn't a culture problem at all, and we really should blindly support hiring Coach Roehl. I do believe there might be a bit of a culture problem (remember Tutsie interview after SIU loss, or more recently, Kava interview following UND loss).

My point with the previous post is that Cam Miller will not be here in two years (or maybe next year, if he follows through with his indirect threat). Luke Bacon is not here. The next coach will need to deal with 1, 2, 4.5 years down the line (when yet other current players will not be here), until that coach moves on (maybe?). A coach that has NFL experience or FBS experience might be one that could entice recruits to stay and entice future recruits, beyond the Cams and Lukes, to come to (and stay at?) NDSU. If one is worried exclusively about the current recruits/players, then one would never, ever hire outside the program [unless NDSU is getting Deion Sanders ;)].

Fairness in conversation, I am not against Coach Roehl being hired as Head Coach. I just think letting the current players potentially dictate this is a mistake. Especially since the program will continue after those players are gone.

BisonBacker
December 12th, 2023, 04:07 PM
I don't disagree with you, and I suspect some of the same things were said about Entz when deciding to replace Klieman. Yet it is unclear that that assisted in maintaining the current success...or culture (and it has been argued elsewhere to the contrary).

While I don't think anyone can reasonably argue about Entz's success at NDSU (only way he could go was down, and it is not a precipitous drop by any means...and we Bison fans have been spoiled), one can conjecture about the culture a bit. To be fair to Entz, the transfer portal and NIL are really beasts that have contributed to his perceived decline in success and maybe even the culture change. I think the potential problem is that Roehl has been along for the entirety of that ride. So, what would he do differently (or not) to change the culture (or not)? Or maybe there isn't a culture problem at all, and we really should blindly support hiring Coach Roehl. I do believe there might be a bit of a culture problem (remember Tutsie interview after SIU loss, or more recently, Kava interview following UND loss).

My point with the previous post is that Cam Miller will not be here in two years (or maybe next year, if he follows through with his indirect threat). Luke Bacon is not here. The next coach will need to deal with 1, 2, 4.5 years down the line (when yet other current players will not be here), until that coach moves on (maybe?). A coach that has NFL experience or FBS experience might be one that could entice recruits to stay and entice future recruits, beyond the Cams and Lukes, to come to (and stay at?) NDSU. If one is worried exclusively about the current recruits/players, then one would never, ever hire outside the program [unless NDSU is getting Deion Sanders ;)].

Fairness in conversation, I am not against Coach Roehl being hired as Head Coach. I just think letting the current players potentially dictate this is a mistake. Especially since the program will continue after those players are gone.

That's an understatement. It would be a HUGE mistake. Also what does that tell you about any player willing to bail on their teammates if they don't get their way? That's an awful look and doesn't inspire confidence or show any maturity. These are young folks who have grown up in an era of so much entitlement outside of football in general. Makes one wonder about the future of a lot of things and not just sports.

ysubigred
December 12th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Me thinks IDGAF.. Seems you clowns could get Larry, Moe, or Curly as a coach and still win ****ing championships..

xbowx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2023, 05:03 PM

Yeah, I don't think we're disagreeing here. Say, hypothetically, Larsen has interviewed Roehl, Polasek, and Vigen, solicited advice of current/former stakeholders who know one or all of them, and came away convinced that one of the latter 2 was the best choice and is now dealing with blowback from that decision I'd be on board with an external hire and him making it crystal clear to these current players why he made the decision he did - then if they transfer so be it. I'd also add that it's a ball-sy move because, if it backfires, he's going to be left holding the bag for that decision.

I'm not as convinced as some are that this Bison football program is crumbling from within. The hyper-transfer activity caused by the changing rules and NIL isn't something that Klieman or Bohl ever had to deal with while at NDSU. I don't think just anyone could've coached the Bison to titles in 2019 and 2021 or gotten then into the title game in 2022. The program was bound to take a step back at some point but I've been super encouraged by how this team has bounced back from where they were at in mid-October after that UND loss and that's a testament to the coaching and the culture.

NDSU1980
December 12th, 2023, 10:08 PM

And that dumbass Larsen never tells anyone anything. If it's Roehl than go ahead and announce it. If we're looking elsewhere then say it. Just do something. But I suppose even passing on information is too much work for Matt Larsen.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2023, 04:51 AM
Yeah, I don't think we're disagreeing here. Say, hypothetically, Larsen has interviewed Roehl, Polasek, and Vigen, solicited advice of current/former stakeholders who know one or all of them, and came away convinced that one of the latter 2 was the best choice and is now dealing with blowback from that decision I'd be on board with an external hire and him making it crystal clear to these current players why he made the decision he did - then if they transfer so be it. I'd also add that it's a ball-sy move because, if it backfires, he's going to be left holding the bag for that decision.

I'm not as convinced as some are that this Bison football program is crumbling from within. The hyper-transfer activity caused by the changing rules and NIL isn't something that Klieman or Bohl ever had to deal with while at NDSU. I don't think just anyone could've coached the Bison to titles in 2019 and 2021 or gotten then into the title game in 2022. The program was bound to take a step back at some point but I've been super encouraged by how this team has bounced back from where they were at in mid-October after that UND loss and that's a testament to the coaching and the culture.

I've never gotten this feeling from anyone I've talked to. Any successful program cannot stay on top forever. If this year is a "step back" I think 100% of teams would take it.

The Bison football program has had a "winning culture" since Darrel Mudra in the early 60s and it will continue after Entz.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Me thinks IDGAF.. Seems you clowns could get Larry, Moe, or Curly as a coach and still win ****ing championships..

xbowx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

xlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 13th, 2023, 07:57 PM
And to think Tyler Roehl was a finalist for the ETSU job when Randy Sanders retired. One has to wonder where would ETSU be if Roehl was hired? I would submit ETSU would likely give the Bison a run for their money next season, that is if Roehl was still at ETSU by that time.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 10:34 PM
Preparing for a tumultuous few days upcoming for NDSU football... sounds like they're going to hire Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (who also was an assistant under Craig Bohl at NDSU and Chris Klieman's OC from 2014-2016) to be the next head coach. Also rumors that NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen, who is making the hire, is on his way out the door to (presumably) greener pastures as well. Can Polasek retain Tyler Roehl as offensive coordinator? Roehl was heavily backed by the current players so if he doesn't return I'd expect NDSU to be gutted by the transfer portal. I'd have to imagine if Roehl does come back he's going to be moving on within a year or two tops since I'm sure the reason he was passed up for the job is that he has no network or experience outside of NDSU.

NDSU1980
December 17th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Preparing for a tumultuous few days upcoming for NDSU football... sounds like they're going to hire Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (who also was an assistant under Craig Bohl at NDSU and Chris Klieman's OC from 2014-2016) to be the next head coach. Also rumors that NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen, who is making the hire, is on his way out the door to (presumably) greener pastures as well. Can Polasek retain Tyler Roehl as offensive coordinator? Roehl was heavily backed by the current players so if he doesn't return I'd expect NDSU to be gutted by the transfer portal. I'd have to imagine if Roehl does come back he's going to be moving on within a year or two tops since I'm sure the reason he was passed up for the job is that he has no network or experience outside of NDSU.I'm hoping the rumor that Larsen is gone too is true. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't announce the new coach any time soon. That seems to be his style.

Winterborn
December 17th, 2023, 11:27 AM
Izzo say it is Polasek. Be interesting to see who all stays.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2023, 11:28 AM
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=north%20dakota%20state%20bison

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2023, 11:29 AM
It's is POLASEK!!!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2023, 11:41 AM
Bison name Tim Polasek as next head football coach - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-to-name-tim-polasek-as-next-head-football-coach)

TheKingpin28
December 17th, 2023, 12:07 PM
I'd rather have Polasek vs Roehl as a HC. That postion needs stability and someone who can run the team. I just don't see that with Roehl at this time.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2023, 12:25 PM
I'd rather have Polasek vs Roehl as a HC. That postion needs stability and someone who can run the team. I just don't see that with Roehl at this time.

I hope Polasek brings back the Bison Offense to what it was and gets rid of this West Coast Bull****!

Grizzlies82
December 17th, 2023, 12:33 PM
I hope Polasek brings back the Bison Offense to what it was and gets rid of this West Coast Bull****!

to those of us who don't know the dude, does he have an NDSU background somehow?

taper
December 17th, 2023, 12:36 PM
to those of us who don't know the dude, does he have an NDSU background somehow?
10 years and 4 titles, various positions from grad assistant to OC.

Grizzlies82
December 17th, 2023, 12:43 PM
10 years and 4 titles, various positions from grad assistant to OC.

Thank you. Clearly you can trust him with the car keys.

BisonTru
December 17th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Always liked Tim. This is a great hire imo. Knows the culture. Knows our offensive philosophy. He’s a passionate dude and a great recruiter.

BisonFan02
December 17th, 2023, 05:29 PM
A much better hire than Roehl......and if any current Bison player gets their panties in a bunch ...dont let the door hit your ass too hard on the way out. The "current" players hung around for the fall of the dynasty. I dont give a **** if every one of them left.

bonarae
December 17th, 2023, 08:04 PM
Meanwhile... had Roehl been hired, do you think he would run the Bison program to the ground like Quarles did at ETSU? xchinscratchx

TheKingpin28
December 17th, 2023, 08:10 PM
I hope Polasek brings back the Bison Offense to what it was and gets rid of this West Coast Bull****!I want power running back in the gameplan with A-Gap being the main drive with pulling guards.

TheKingpin28
December 17th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Meanwhile... had Roehl been hired, do you think he would run the Bison program to the ground like Quarles did at ETSU? xchinscratchxI think the program remains stagnant which in turn leads to its' own downfall.

AmsterBison
December 18th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Roehl and Polasek are much of a muchness. I love Tyler Roehl - they guy is a great recruiter and motivator. Polasek has very similar qualities.

To me, it's pretty obvious that the two areas that have the most room for improvement are on the defense and special teams coverage. NDSU's championship seasons are built on a stifling defense, and NDSU didn't have that this year. I mean, NDSU only won games where they scored 30+ so I can't take anybody very seriously who says that the offense is a major problem. The only real problem with the offense is that it seemed to need to get into a rhythm to function - any mistakes were hard to overcome without Cam Miller miracle plays.

My wish list:
1. Poach UND's offensive line coach and move Larson to RBs.
2. Shore up the defense via the portal.
3. I can't make up my mind about our DC - that's Polasek's call.
4. Salvage this year's recruiting class - it's been looted this last week.
5. Recruit Wisconsin harder. Polasek was great at recruiting Wisconsin.
6. Retain Roehl.

SUPharmacist
December 18th, 2023, 12:30 PM
A much better hire than Roehl......and if any current Bison player gets their panties in a bunch ...dont let the door hit your ass too hard on the way out. The "current" players hung around for the fall of the dynasty. I dont give a **** if every one of them left.

I don't think the current players should be in charge of who the coach is, but I see no need to **** on them for considering or deciding to leave. Hopefully we swing upward again, but I can't view the last 2 years as failures with the results they had. Hopefully we get a solid coaching staff in ace and continue to thrive.