PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite Matt Entz moment?

Preferred Walk-On
December 10th, 2023, 02:27 PM
https://x.com/loganncampbelll/status/1733944905485988276?s=46&t=87WRptZSZoZWYYgbCKQr_Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
December 10th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Honestly, that 2021 season and the pick against JMU in the semifinal sticks out to me.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 02:50 PM
Fake field goal against Delaware, nothing else is even close.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2023, 02:58 PM
My favorite moment is now.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Delaware is probably gonna hire him due to that killer attitude now that they got the FBS monies...

Christiank22
December 10th, 2023, 03:02 PM
So are we playing better because entz has been loose since he knows he’s leaving?

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2023, 03:04 PM
So are we playing better because entz has been loose since he knows he’s leaving?

A bunch of players auditioning on TV for the portal.

Gangtackle11
December 10th, 2023, 03:14 PM
USC LB position coach?

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 03:15 PM
USC positions coach?
Gonna guess it's a whole lot more money and a whole lot less stress.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Gonna guess it's a whole lot more money and a whole lot less stress.
When is the last time USC actually played defense. Pretty low bar starting out there

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Is it a coincidence that Montana St has lost a ton of guys to the portal over the last week???

Might be someone there who is at the top of the list to replace Entz....

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 03:28 PM

pull up that thread as you Bison guys were defending him like a son

POD Knows
December 10th, 2023, 03:36 PM
pull up that thread as you Bison guys were defending him like a son
Dude I had to go way back for that one. Can’t remember much lately but that call was awesome and needed at the time. Showed a take no prisoners attitude, he has been soft in blowout games lately

SUPharmacist
December 10th, 2023, 03:51 PM
Is it a coincidence that Montana St has lost a ton of guys to the portal over the last week???

They could do a lot worse, but he hasn't really inspired with performances in big games. I can't wait to hear who they land on.

JacksFan40
December 10th, 2023, 03:59 PM
His record against SDSU is my personal favorite thing about Entz.

But it’s really surprising that he would leave to be a LB coach. Bohl got a HC job at Wyoming, and Kleiman got K-State, I would’ve assumed Entz could get a G5 job or at least a DC job. Hell even David Braun went from NDSU DC to Northwestern DC to Northwestern HC and Big Ten COTY in a single year.

dewey
December 10th, 2023, 04:02 PM
My favorite moment is Jimmy Hendricks making the game saving interception against JMU to end the 2019 National title game.

Dewey

NDSU1980
December 10th, 2023, 04:11 PM
Fav moment was the moment I saw he was rumored to be gone. Never cared for the guy. The problem is Matt Larsen is too lazy to conduct a proper search so the next coach will be Tyler Roehl and we all know how bad of an OC he is

TheKingpin28
December 10th, 2023, 04:35 PM
My favorite moment is now.Fair and extremely valid

Christiank22
December 10th, 2023, 05:02 PM
His record against SDSU is my personal favorite thing about Entz.

But it’s really surprising that he would leave to be a LB coach. Bohl got a HC job at Wyoming, and Kleiman got K-State, I would’ve assumed Entz could get a G5 job or at least a DC job. Hell even David Braun went from NDSU DC to Northwestern DC to Northwestern HC and Big Ten COTY in a single year.

He is quite literally one of the worst head coaches in college football. He was a great coordinator. Terrible head coach. You could have stuck me on the headset with some of the talent NDSU has had and won national titles

taper
December 10th, 2023, 06:05 PM
He is quite literally one of the worst head coaches in college football. He was a great coordinator. Terrible head coach. You could have stuck me on the headset with some of the talent NDSU has had and won national titles
Incompetently stupid take. Entz isn't as good as his recent predecessors, but in 5 seasons 58-10 with 2 titles, 1 runner up, 1 quarters, and this year semis at least. Literally the best record of any FCS coach in that period.

Christiank22
December 10th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Incompetently stupid take. Entz isn't as good as his recent predecessors, but in 5 seasons 58-10 with 2 titles, 1 runner up, 1 quarters, and this year semis at least. Literally the best record of any FCS coach in that period.

It’s almost like we had more NFL talent than a lot of P5 schools.

NDSU1980
December 10th, 2023, 06:58 PM

^^^^THIS. Entz was out of his element as HC. I think most Bison fans feel that we won't even win another Natty with Entz and it's mostly luck that the team is still playing.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2023, 07:07 PM
^^^^THIS. Entz was out of his element as HC. I think most Bison fans feel that we won't even win another Natty with Entz and it's mostly luck that the team is still playing.
Most of the loudmouthed ones anyway. It was bound to be a downgrade with whoever replaced Klieman but Entz wasn't nearly bad as some of you make him out to be.

F'N Hawks
December 10th, 2023, 07:56 PM
October 14th. Other than that no good memories

Libertine
December 10th, 2023, 07:59 PM
we won't even win another Natty

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

This is like some trust fund baby complaining that Mommy bought them the wrong color Maserati.

Dusty Kitten
December 10th, 2023, 08:19 PM
My favorite Entz moment was when he signed with USC to become the Linebackers Coach

MTfan4life
December 10th, 2023, 11:03 PM
My favorite Matt Entz moment was when he showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl.

Bisonoline
December 11th, 2023, 12:52 AM
Today with him leaving.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 06:50 AM
xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

This is like some trust fund baby complaining that Mommy bought them the wrong color Maserati.

good one but does it do 185?

I lost my license now I don’t drive

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2023, 09:51 AM
good one but does it do 185?

I lost my license now I don’t drive
Love Joe Jackson - summer 1982...listened to it a ton on FM Radio in my first car a 67 Cougar bought June 1981. Summers off from Lafayette!

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Was it he who hopped out on the terrible field to help put down the turf (what year?) vs Towson? They had a scramble at time outs doing that!!

Libertine
December 11th, 2023, 10:00 AM
My favorite Matt Entz moment was when he showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl.

And he brought with him some high-quality H2O.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2023, 10:16 AM
Love Joe Jackson - summer 1982...listened to it a ton on FM Radio in my first car a 67 Cougar bought June 1981. Summers off from Lafayette!

Pards

that was Joe Walsh of the Eagles I believe

but life has sure been good for you so far

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 10:29 AM
My favorite moment is now.

Agreed!

I would think Vigen would be all over that if the offer was out there but who knows

Fav moment was the moment I saw he was rumored to be gone. Never cared for the guy. The problem is Matt Larsen is too lazy to conduct a proper search so the next coach will be Tyler Roehl and we all know how bad of an OC he is

I agree with you. Matt Larsen couldn't hold Gene Taylors jockstrap. God I hope Roehl isn't on the short list but you maybe right.

Fair and extremely valid

Very much a valid comment.

Entz won almost all of those games with Kleiman recruits. Entz is leaving at a time when his recruiting classes now completely make up the team. I think the next guy coming in whoever it is will really have their work cutout for them as I think our O and D line recruiting has suffered under Entz and he's jumping ship. Hell just look at the difference in our line play during our successful runs and now. We're lucky to be playing yet at this point in the year.

Spot on accurate.

Today with him leaving.

xthumbsupx

taper
December 11th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Entz won almost all of those games with Kleiman recruits. Entz is leaving at a time when his recruiting classes now completely make up the team. I think the next guy coming in whoever it is will really have their work cutout for them as I think our O and D line recruiting has suffered under Entz and he's jumping ship. Hell just look at the difference in our line play during our successful runs and now. We're lucky to be playing yet at this point in the year.
https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/2/20/21145985/college-football-coaches-average-years
The average HC tenure is 4 years and 2/3rds leave by 5. Everybody is playing with previous recruits. He still has 2 titles as HC, which is more than any other active in FCS.

POD Knows
December 11th, 2023, 12:01 PM
I am not going to dump on Entz even though I have probably been critical here, they have won 2 Natty's on his watch and have an outside chance at 3 in 5 years. I get that he inherited a pretty good football team but I would assume he was involved with the recruiting and development of those players.

But truth be told, the biggest thing I will remember from his tenure this 5 year tenure is the speed in which SDSU has surpassed NDSU on the field and in recruiting. His head to head record against SDSU is not good, 1-5, beam me the **** up. And the embarrassing loss to UND, which I didn't think would happen in my lifetime, are sore spots.

Given all that, if NDSU runs the table here (no ****ing way it is gonna happen), that would be 3 Natty's in 5 years, which sadly up here is below the standard. Now excuse me while I go wallow in my entitlement. :D

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 12:04 PM
https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/2/20/21145985/college-football-coaches-average-years
The average HC tenure is 4 years and 2/3rds leave by 5. Everybody is playing with previous recruits. He still has 2 titles as HC, which is more than any other active in FCS.

Doesn't change the fact he didn't do it with his own recruits.

taper
December 11th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Doesn't change the fact he didn't do it with his own recruits.
Neither did Klieman, Houston(JMU), or Baldwin(EWU). You want to say those titles should have asterisks by them?

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Pards

that was Joe Walsh of the Eagles I believe

but life has sure been good for you so far

You are correct...mixed my Joes some 41 years later. Joe Jackson had the summer 82 hit Is She ReallY Going Out with Him? Later spoofed to is she really going out with Mr CHicken!

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 01:16 PM
Neither did Klieman, Houston(JMU), or Baldwin(EWU). You want to say those titles should have asterisks by them?

Kleiman built on the success he inherited from Bohl's tenure. Can you honestly sit there and say that Entz and the players he's recruited have setup the next coach the same as Bohl and Kleiman did?

taper
December 11th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Kleiman built on the success he inherited from Bohl's tenure. Can you honestly sit there and say that Entz and the players he's recruited have setup the next coach the same as Bohl and Kleiman did?
Nope. Entz isn't as good as Bohl or Kleiman. He's still top 10, maybe top 5 or better. Titles speak for themselves.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Nope. Entz isn't as good as Bohl or Kleiman. He's still top 10, maybe top 5 or better. Titles speak for themselves.
Jury is still out on whether he's better than Bohl or not - remember Bohl had a big drop off himself in 2008 and 2009 before righting the ship. It was inevitable that eventually this NDSU program would have a drop off but it was pretty limited (so far) compared to Bohl's 5th and 6th year drop off going from back-to-back 10-1 seasons to 6-5 and then 3-8.

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 03:56 PM

Well then you proved my point. Either way the next coach and the one after him will be dealing with the new landscape of revolving doors with players and coaches. Face it at this level NDSU is just a stepping stone to bigger money and more exposure at the FBS level. Frankly NIL and the portal are destroying college sports. Anyway that's another topic. I hope whoever takes over has as good or better luck heading into the future as they'll need it with the new challenges the aforementioned issues bring up.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2023, 03:57 PM
There wasn't a portal back then either though and Entz played a part in building those teams too. He gets a lot of **** for being the guy to succeed 2 all time great coaches but he's done a pretty damn good job too IMO. You're always going to look like a failure when the coach before you wins 4 chippers in 5 years!

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2023, 04:02 PM
There wasn't a portal back then either though and Entz played a part in building those teams too. He gets a lot of **** for being the guy to succeed 2 all time great coaches but he's done a pretty damn good job too IMO. You're always going to look like a failure when the coach before you wins 4 chippers in 5 years!No disagreement with that. I get it that the landscape has changed drastically and my opinion is it sucks. What happened to going to college for an education? I think the portal and NIL has been a huge failure in the damage it's done from the fans and supporters perspective. Their is no loyalty anymore. I get the money behind it and the kids going for the $$$$$ but it doesn't make it right. When the likes of Georgia and Alabama are losing players to the portal there is no hope for anyone.

Gil Dobie
December 12th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Best moment was the fake against Delaware, and the reaction of Blue Hen fans then and now

POD Knows
December 12th, 2023, 10:16 AM
Best moment was the fake against Delaware, and the reaction of Blue Hen fans then and nowIt is the gift that keeps on giving, timeless

Bisonoline
December 17th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Jury is still out on whether he's better than Bohl or not - remember Bohl had a big drop off himself in 2008 and 2009 before righting the ship. It was inevitable that eventually this NDSU program would have a drop off but it was pretty limited (so far) compared to Bohl's 5th and 6th year drop off going from back-to-back 10-1 seasons to 6-5 and then 3-8.

No way Entz is close to Bohl. Bohl was great at game management. Entz sucks at it. Bohl helped build a dynasty. All Entz had to do was not **** it up but he couldnt even do that.

AmsterBison
December 17th, 2023, 02:08 PM
The only problem I had with Entz is that once he was no longer defensive coordinator, the defense started to slip.

My favorite moment would be the 2021 championship game, of course. Plus, apparently he wore the right kind of tie to his first interview at NDSU head coach because Bison fans didn't melt down over it. And he didn't have a "creepy grin" like the one Bison fans complained about Bohl having.

BisonBacker
December 18th, 2023, 11:56 AM
No way Entz is close to Bohl. Bohl was great at game management. Entz sucks at it. Bohl helped build a dynasty. All Entz had to do was not **** it up but he couldnt even do that.

^^^THIS^^^

dewey
December 19th, 2023, 12:45 PM
One of the top memories I had from Entz was the fake field goal run for a TD against JMU in 2019 (title game in 2020). He later said that the coaching staff watched each field goal and JMU lined up the same way each time so they put in that fake field goal run for a TD. If JMU lined up the same way the staff told the players to make the call.

Dewey

dewey
December 19th, 2023, 12:48 PM
Was it he who hopped out on the terrible field to help put down the turf (what year?) vs Towson? They had a scramble at time outs doing that!!

That was Craig Bohl in the 2013 title game (January 2014) against Towson. That field was terrible. At each commercial break more and more people came out to 'replace the divots'.

Dewey