PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Semifinal: North Dakota State @ #2 Montana

Pages : 1 [2]

SeattleCat
December 16th, 2023, 06:31 PM
I mean how did you not see that coming.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 16th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Wow! Payton takes it in! How does that happen?

mvfcfan
December 16th, 2023, 06:34 PM
So can Montana do what MSU couldn't do?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
what a response! Bergen is excellent! What a baller!

TheKingpin28
Shocked Montana didn't go for the win.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

mvfcfan
December 16th, 2023, 06:35 PM
So can Montana do what MSU couldn't do?

The answer is yes (they didn't get their locked PAT blocked in OT)

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 06:35 PM
What kind of D scheme leaves a guy like that virtually uncovered. JFC

UNHWildcat18
December 16th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Let’s Go Griz!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 16th, 2023, 06:36 PM
I'm still wondering what type of shape Miller is in....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 16th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Griz score then a ridiculous 2 pt conversion play...starting to feel like destiny in Griz land...

JacksFan40
Unfreaking real.

mvfcfan
Wow!!!

acbearkat
Wow! That play looked dead in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
December 16th, 2023, 06:41 PM
That was simply amazing.

JSUSoutherner
December 16th, 2023, 06:41 PM
This game is nuts

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 06:42 PM
There was a face mask any way but lucky as **** anyway. Neither team is playing D

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 16th, 2023, 06:43 PM
TD Bison! Now their turn for 2 pts...

- - - Updated - - -

What a terrible 2 pt conversion play....wow! Congrats Griz!!

acbearkat
What a game!

POD Knows
Wtf was that.

WrenFGun
What an absolute dumb**** way to lose a hell of a ballgame.

JacksFan40
What the hell was that play call?

POD Knows
Speechless.

mvfcfan
Entz was ready to get an early start to California

ElCid
December 16th, 2023, 06:44 PM
Crazy finish. Good game.

Bison56
What a dumb play to run.

Christiank22
What the **** was that? But also did he not get pushed down? Genuinely wondering.

But also congrats SDSU. You’re going to ****ing steam roll Montana

SIUallDay
I just logged in to ask what that play was. The hell was that?

Bison56
How wasn't there a penalty on that?

Sader87
What was that call?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 16th, 2023, 06:45 PM
What an absolute dumb**** way to lose a hell of a ballgame.

I never understand plays like that where there's only one option. It was clear that play was dead from the start....just wow. Better off just running Payton up the gut and hope for the best...

WrenFGun
Give it to your ****ing moose of a Tim Tebow and see if they can tackle him. Brutal play call.

TheKingpin28
It's time to clean house for the coaching staff at NDSU. That's a joke if I've ever seen it.

acbearkat
How wasn't there a penalty on that?

I thought they would have thrown a flag as well.

Grizalltheway
Great game Bizon. All time classic!

ysubigred
December 16th, 2023, 06:46 PM
WOW!! That will go down as the stupidest ****ing play ever called.. no way the griz was going to stop a off tackle run for two. WTF!!

Hey golden Buffalo's.. your O coordinator just punched his ticket to the head coaching job [emoji1][emoji2][emoji16][emoji28][emoji28][emoji28][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

WrenFGun
December 16th, 2023, 06:46 PM
This is not the ideal time to say it, but if this game had gone to two point conversions to decide the national championship contender, I wouldn't have been thrilled with that.

Kudos to Montana. That was a massive monster to slay.

Gil Dobie
December 16th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Wtf was that.

Hello Southern California play

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Great game Griz... good luck in Frisco.

Can we go tar and feather the ESPN cameramen now???

Really nervous to see how bad this NDSU team is gonna be blown up by coaching changes and transfer portal...

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 06:49 PM
WOW!! That will go down as the stupidest ****ing play ever called.. no way the griz was going to stop a off tackle run for two. WTF!!

When they lined up like that I thought maybe they were trying to get Montana to jump offsides or something. I am just freaking numb. Kind of expected to lose the game but not like that.

ysubigred
December 16th, 2023, 06:50 PM
Great game, Griz.. give em hell in Frisco..

Gil Dobie
December 16th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Congrats Griz!

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Congrats Griz.

Bison56
December 16th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to the Griz.

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Woo Hoo!

How ‘bout FUBeAR’s Griz!!!

Cannot wait for Frisco!!!

Dunno yet if SDSU is far better than the rest of the Teams in FCS …

… but … if it turns out that they are, we know with certainty which 3 Teams are the next best 3 - the 3 that couldn’t beat one another in only a 60 minute scrap.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 06:56 PM
That was not PI either on the final play. Looked like a really poorly designed RPO where Stoffel (the only Bison receiver
to throw to) didn't realize he was the only option until too late.

There were far more egregious calls in that game.

Bison56
December 16th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Not a bad run for the unseeded Bison, took the number 2 team to the wire.

Karl Havoc
December 16th, 2023, 06:58 PM
The Swinging Gate Philly Special from hell. What in the world was Roehl thinking?

Christiank22
December 16th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Not a bad run for the unseeded Bison, took the number 2 team to the wire.

And this is the mindset that keeps us in mediocrity for a long long time

MavRabbitMatt
December 16th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Roehl's HC bid should go up in flames with that horrific final playcall.

ysubigred
December 16th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Not a bad run for the unseeded Bison, took the number 2 team to the wire.Not bad at all.. I think YSU is the only unseeded lately to go to Frisco..

Houndawg
December 16th, 2023, 07:04 PM

At least it keeps you in FCS - better to be a big duck in a small pond

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 07:05 PM
That was not PI either on the final play. Looked like a really poorly designed RPO where Stoffel (the Bison receiver didn't realize he was the only option until too late).

There were far more egregious calls in that game.
The three wide open receivers that Cam over threw was big. D didn’t show up in OT. Lots of penalties, most of them legit and big. Had opportunities but Montana made a few more big plays than NDSU. I don’t think they are a better team but they are tough in that building.

Christiank22
December 16th, 2023, 07:05 PM
At least it keeps you in FCS - better to be a big duck in a small pond

I’d rather go 8-4 in the MWC than lose in the FCS semifinals

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 07:15 PM
The three wide open receivers that Cam over threw was big. D didn’t show up in OT. Lots of penalties, most of them legit and big. Had opportunities but Montana made a few more big plays than NDSU. I don’t think they are a better team but they are tough in that building.
Oh yeah, there were a whole lot of unforced errors by the Bison offense in this game. Defense played great - offense played one of their worst games of the season.

GreatAppSt
December 16th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Wow OT catch by Griz was crazy, almost as good as a catch made in an ancient ages playoff by some redheaded kid for the Griz.

Go Griz!!!

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Oh yeah, there were a whole lot of unforced errors by the Bison offense in this game. Defense played great - offense played one of their worst games of the season.
Didn’t have a single completed pass to a running back the entire game. It is amazing to me how you cannot use a running back as a receiving target. It just boggles my ****ing mind.

Silenoz
December 16th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Holy ****. Bought a last minute ticket and drove to Missoula and ditched my kids with my parents. I chose wisely.

NDSU fans were great.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 07:47 PM
Didn’t have a single completed pass to a running back the entire game. It is amazing to me how you cannot use a running back as a receiving target. It just boggles my ****ing mind.
It does. They left Cam out to dry a lot by giving him no outlet on the blitz. He showed a lot of toughness... missed a lot of throws though too (and was victimized by drops).

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 08:08 PM
It does. They left Cam out to dry a lot by giving him no outlet on the blitz. He showed a lot of toughness... missed a lot of throws though too (and was victimized by drops).
His stats looked bad because there were 3 or 4 drops and a bunch of balls he had to throw away.

Grizzlies82
December 16th, 2023, 08:08 PM

Kudos to NDSU!

Your guys played better than I expected. Didn't expect an easy win, just didn't expect this tight of a contest either.
Very grateful to not be playing over in Fargo! Never pleasant for visitors. I like our venue better. :)

Glad to be see our guys advancing to the Championship again. All in all, a good finish for your kids.
Go Griz!

Bisonator
December 16th, 2023, 08:13 PM
Congrats Griz! Good luck against SDSU in the championship game!

Hell of a game, had our chances but your team made more plays and deserved the win. Really weird season for our Bison, looked like they were dead than had an improbable run. Probably should have lost 2 weeks ago. Lots of change coming next season hopefully it's good change time will tell. It's been one hell of a fun ride.

CrunchGriz
December 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM
Wow OT catch by Griz was crazy, almost as good as a catch made in an ancient ages playoff by some redheaded kid for the Griz.

Go Griz!!!

Yeah, that Jimmy Farris catch against App State in 2000 is another one of the epic plays made in Wa-Griz. The Griz definitely had some battles against ASU back in the day. Congrats on your win today!

Preferred Walk-On
December 16th, 2023, 08:32 PM
Congratulations Grizzlies on a great season and great semifinal win. Enjoy the trip to Frisco and best of luck!

Hammerhead
December 16th, 2023, 08:38 PM

Losing a close game in the semis is mediocre? Only in Fargo.

Hammerhead
December 16th, 2023, 08:40 PM
Congratulations Montana! That was an exciting game.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 08:57 PM
Just saw a replay from the back of the end zone on the NDSU 2 point conversion. It was absolutely PI or holding.

Born a Rabbit
December 16th, 2023, 08:57 PM

appears pretty reasonable that the two teams are very nearly equal. and for 4Qs of ball they proved to be exactly equal. griz score the winning points in double OT on a lucky tipped pass. i cannot imagine what argument even the most rabid fan of the griz could make for them being the clearly better team

if they played 10 times, almost zero chance one teams win more than 6. fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, there is no need to prove beyond doubt that you are the better team!! all you have to do is have more points on the board when the final whistle blows and the griz pulled that off today

congratulations to both teams on very good seasons!!

putter
December 16th, 2023, 09:14 PM
Was a battle. I wish Montana had their O line. Both teams had their chances. It was holding on the last play but Ramos gets out of his head on the FG or extra point it may not have gone that far. 2 evenly matched teams in a classic game.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Was a battle. I wish Montana had their O line. Both teams had their chances. It was holding on the last play but Ramos gets out of his head on the FG or extra point it may not have gone that far. 2 evenly matched teams in a classic game.
Why, so you could get 6 false start penalties and a hold😀. Outside of that, they played pretty well today.

dewey
December 16th, 2023, 09:23 PM
Congrats Griz! Good luck against SDSU in the championship game!

Hell of a game, had our chances but your team made more plays and deserved the win. Really weird season for our Bison, looked like they were dead than had an improbable run. Probably should have lost 2 weeks ago. Lots of change coming next season hopefully it's good change time will tell. It's been one hell of a fun ride.

Agreed. Congrats Montana on the win and good luck against SDSU.

Dewey

CrunchGriz
December 16th, 2023, 09:37 PM
This is how close that game was: Counting return yards, Montana had 9 more yards than NDSU. Thankfully for the Griz, 47 of those yards were after a low, short punt to Junior Bergen.

Any time you can hold NDSU without a touchdown for 59 minutes, you think you have a good shot at winning--except that they have a great D and absolutely no quit.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 09:53 PM
appears pretty reasonable that the two teams are very nearly equal. and for 4Qs of ball they proved to be exactly equal. griz score the winning points in double OT on a lucky tipped pass. i cannot imagine what argument even the most rabid fan of the griz could make for them being the clearly better team

if they played 10 times, almost zero chance one teams win more than 6. fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, there is no need to prove beyond doubt that you are the better team!! all you have to do is have more points on the board when the final whistle blows and the griz pulled that off today

congratulations to both teams on very good seasons!!
Yea, both teams are pretty evenly matched. Don’t know who would win best of ten, if they played 5 at Missoula and 5 at Fargo it would probably end up 5-5. The Bison didn’t handle the atmosphere there very well, that is a big part of the game

gofurman
December 16th, 2023, 10:10 PM
There was a face mask any way but lucky as **** anyway. Neither team is playing D

Fun game. But this wasn’t the DL and front 7 that Furman presented to Montana.

well i only saw the end of the q3 and all of q4 and both OT. But at the end - OT - Montana was just running for big yards. 3 straight rushes for the 25 yards

versus Furman the Montana fans were chanting “quit trying to run”.

all that said. Three OTs for Montana. Time for SDSU to put a whooping on

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 10:27 PM
Fun game. But this wasn’t the DL and front 7 that Furman presented to Montana.

well i only saw the end of the q3 and all of q4 and both OT. But at the end - OT - Montana was just running for big yards. 3 straight rushes for the 25 yards

versus Furman the Montana fans were chanting “quit trying to run”.

all that said. Three OTs for Montana. Time for SDSU to put a whooping on
Held them to 16 in reg and some of that was a punt return. But you are right, the Bison D was a freaking sieve in OT.

gofurman
December 16th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Held them to 16 in reg and some of that was a punt return. But you are right, the Bison D was a freaking sieve in OT.

oh. Ok. Fair enough. I hear ya man.

SO MUCH SIMILARITY -

Punt return for TD… not a ton of offense. OT Games. MISSED KICKS BY MONTANA AGAIN. they missed two FGs versus Furman leaving the window open for us to tie the game in regulation. Again today missed FG AND A DAMN MISSED XP … man, awesome punt / ko returns and a serious kicking problem

i would say that Kicking could cost them - coulda versus Furman or NDSU but not sure anyone plays with SDSU

deez_na
December 16th, 2023, 10:51 PM
Out gained Montana but D couldn’t hold in overtime. The pathetic punt return coverage was the difference and I don’t know how they don’t call a hold or PI on the 2 pt conversion but they weren’t calling anything all game on Montana. Down year for Ndsu yet was damn near headed to Frisco. Time for some change this offseason.

CrunchGriz
December 16th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Out gained Montana but D couldn’t hold in overtime. The pathetic punt return coverage was the difference and I don’t know how they don’t call a hold or PI on the 2 pt conversion but they weren’t calling anything all game on Montana. Down year for Ndsu yet was damn near headed to Frisco. Time for some change this offseason.

And the refs didn't miss a single call against NDSU...funny how that works when you lose. Your receiver ran right into our DB, which made it look like a running play and a block, so he chucked him to disengage. Could have just as easily been an offensive PI. Bottom line, he ran a crappy route. Don't run right into the DB if you're trying to get open.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Have you seen the replay of the 2 point conversion from the back of the end zone? I tried to post the video on here but couldn’t get it work. Doesn’t really matter, it is a done deal and there is no guarantee that they would have converted on the next 2 point attempt any way

putter
December 16th, 2023, 11:38 PM
2 point call is tough one. If you watch the play, the TE engages with the DB like he is going to block. Then attempts to go by and does get pulled down.

POD Knows
December 16th, 2023, 11:44 PM
2 point call is tough one. If you watch the play, the TE engages with the DB like he is going to block. Then attempts to go by and does get pulled down.
There is an end zone video that shows the play pretty good and for the life of me, I have no idea what the right call is but a receiver is allowed to engage, as is the DB but at some point the DB needs to disengage when the receiver is moving up field but it didn’t even look like the receiver even knew that he was part of the route. It was a freaking weird play for sure

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2023, 11:57 PM
There is an end zone video that shows the play pretty good and for the life of me, I have no idea what the right call is but a receiver is allowed to engage, as is the DB but at some point the DB needs to disengage when the receiver is moving up field but it didn’t even look like the receiver even knew that he was part of the route. It was a freaking weird play for sure
Yeah, that's what frustrates me. Stoffel is run blocking like he's not even expecting Nelson to throw it and Nelson looked like he had no intention to run it. Just a strange play design that I think was poorly executed. I didn't mind the play call, they had to know the defense would be keying on Payton (#9) and Nelson is athletic enough to run it or throw it.

Just look at the double OT 2 pt tries for each side to understand why the play call 2nd guessing is so hypocritical. Montana's 2 pt try was blown up yet they got a lucky deflection for the conversion. Yes I know there was an NDSU penalty that would've allowed them to retry but the penalty had very little impact on the outcome of the play. There's no criticism of Montana's 2 pt play call - hell the commentator tried to claim that Bergen "threw a dime". Bottom line is it's easy to 2nd guess play calls but it's all about executing - a well executed bad play call is usually better than a poorly executed good play call.

FUBeAR
December 17th, 2023, 12:17 AM
Have you seen the replay of the 2 point conversion from the back of the end zone? I tried to post the video on here but couldn’t get it work. Doesn’t really matter, it is a done deal and there is no guarantee that they would have converted on the next 2 point attempt any way
https://twitter.com/shaunrainey/status/1736186651829772457

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2023, 12:36 AM
I saw an instagram video in the end zone that showed what looked like your guy holding on to #8 Walker's jersey and only letting go when he was on his way falling down.

I think it's a tough call to make in that situation because the ref could see both guys engage in the neutral zone, which is allowed, and then the receiver not let go until he was falling down. It looks to my (maybe biased Griz) eyes that Walker let him go before he fell. (although in FUBear's video above it does look like they're both holding on for about the same amount of time. You can even see 82 trying to throw Walker down before he himself falls over)

That said, I'm surprised they didn't throw the flag, and I didn't start celebrating in the stands for a few seconds because I thought they were going to.

Also, no idea why you guys didn't just run a normal running play for that 2-point play, we weren't going to stop you.

Although I will say that maybe the Griz coaches caught the Bison coaches napping here because in the press conference after the game, Entz said "We wanted to throw something at them that they hadn't seen before", since they hadn't run that play this season, but Hauck pointed out in his presser that one of their coaches saw them do it on film last season, and so they were prepared for that play.

Crazy ending. Great game.

Bisonoline
December 17th, 2023, 12:48 AM
I saw an instagram video in the end zone that showed what looked like your guy holding on to #8 Walker's jersey and only letting go when he was on his way falling down.

I think it's a tough call to make in that situation because the ref could see both guys engage in the neutral zone, which is allowed, and then the receiver not let go until he was falling down. It looks to my (maybe biased Griz) eyes that Walker let him go before he fell. (although in FUBear's video above it does look like they're both holding on for about the same amount of time. You can even see 82 trying to throw Walker down before he himself falls over)

That said, I'm surprised they didn't throw the flag, and I didn't start celebrating in the stands for a few seconds because I thought they were going to.

Also, no idea why you guys didn't just run a normal running play for that 2-point play, we weren't going to stop you.

Although I will say that maybe the Griz coaches caught the Bison coaches napping here because in the press conference after the game, Entz said "We wanted to throw something at them that they hadn't seen before", since they hadn't run that play this season, but Hauck pointed out in his presser that one of their coaches saw them do it on film last season, and so they were prepared for that play.

Look closer. # 8 had him by the belt line and ended up thrown the receiver down.

And they had run the play before in this game according to the booth.. It was a terrible call. Especially when there were other running plays that worked on the drives. A trick play with only one possible receiver???? Thats the issue with this coaching staff. They over think stuff and just cant use what works.

Congrats. Good luck in Frisco.

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2023, 01:05 AM
Look closer. # 8 had him by the belt line and ended up thrown the receiver down.

And they had run the play before in this game according to the booth.. It was a terrible call. Especially when there were other running plays that worked on the drives. A trick play with only one possible receiver???? Thats the issue with this coaching staff. They over think stuff and just cant use what works.

Congrats. Good luck in Frisco.
Yeah, you can see from the broadcast angle that Walker's hand is on his waist, but he doesn't have a hold of him. Your guy fell down because he tried to throw Walker to the ground first.

I think the refs who were right there saw it that way, as well, and didn't throw the flag.

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2023, 01:26 AM
Yeah, this is the best view I've seen so far.

https://twitter.com/ethanjenkins42/status/1736188669546086668 (https://x.com/ethanjenkins42/status/1736188669546086668)

Clearly not a penalty (IMO).

82 loses his balance and tries to draw the flag after he's the last person holding any jersey.

Corbin only has his left hand on the guy's waist, not grabbing anything with either hand.

Phew! Glad that's settled!

mvemjsunpx
December 17th, 2023, 03:03 AM

I think the no-call was the right call. The TE was blocking well past the line of scrimmage, so it's either a no-call or double PI IMO. Offsetting penalties are almost as good for the offense as defensive PI alone in this case, though.

No kidding. The Bison O-Line was pushing the Griz defense 5+ yards off the ball every play in the overtimes, so then they call a gadget pass play from the 3? xconfusedx And they do it with some sort of swinging-gate-like formation even though there's obviously no threat of a regular PAT? xdontknowx

It's like they pulled out a graphing calculator to figure out the fastest way to cross the street. xrotatehx

Pards Rule
December 17th, 2023, 05:42 AM
That line has gone back and forth. I think yesterday on ESPN Montana was favored by 2.

It was fav of Griz. I just decided to sit this one out. Scored big with SDSU so dont want to push my luck. NDSU did right the ship this year and good season

Iowagriz
December 17th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Tough call on that last play. I can see it in the eyes of both teams.

To add to the fun/mystery. On the radio interview after the game, coach Hauck said we run the same play that NDSU ran at the end. We call it "Bison" as it was apparently stolen from watching NDSU in the past. The defense had practiced for that exact play at the end of the week. (At least that's how I remember hearing the interview during the drive home).

Great game with good and frustrating moments throughout. Best game atmosphere I've been part of in that stadium. Griz have a big hill to climb for SDSU, I'm not (currently) very optimistic. But you never know how the ball will bounce.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Houndawg
December 17th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Tough call on that last play. I can see it in the eyes of both teams.

To add to the fun/mystery. On the radio interview after the game, coach Hauck said we run the same play that NDSU ran at the end. We call it "Bison" as it was apparently stolen from watching NDSU in the past. The defense had practiced for that exact play at the end of the week. (At least that's how I remember hearing the interview during the drive home).

Great game with good and frustrating moments throughout. Best game atmosphere I've been part of in that stadium. Griz have a big hill to climb for SDSU, I'm not (currently) very optimistic. But you never know how the ball will bounce.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The only teams that have made them work this season were Montana State and SIU. Not sure what the cats did on offense but SIU had just over 300 yds and the d held them to their lowest points so far this season, so thats probably the films you want. Although Montana would likely have a better chance than most in a shootout, I think that to beat the Jacks the Griz will need a low-scoring game and a couple of big special teams plays

Houndawg
December 17th, 2023, 07:17 AM

Years ago when SIU lost at Montana in the playoffs Jerry Kill mentioned how tough it was to play there because the fans were so coached up and he couldn't hear a damn thing - except when they had the ball you could hear a pin drop

Houndawg
December 17th, 2023, 07:59 AM
Roehl's HC bid should go up in flames with that horrific final playcall.

If he's looking for a place to blow a sure thing for his team in big games tell him to call SIU

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2023, 08:38 AM
And the refs didn't miss a single call against NDSU...funny how that works when you lose. Your receiver ran right into our DB, which made it look like a running play and a block, so he chucked him to disengage. Could have just as easily been an offensive PI. Bottom line, he ran a crappy route. Don't run right into the DB if you're trying to get open.

Who cares, its over, great game.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2023, 08:39 AM

It was a dumb play call, games over, enjoyed watching a great game.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2023, 08:56 AM

The game is what it is. Zach Mathis went down early, could have used him as the game went on. Glad it was a great game.

dewey
December 17th, 2023, 09:01 AM

My biggest issue was the call itself. NDSU had been moving the LOS for a while and had just run the ball very well.

IMHO you run dang near the exacts same play that NDSU scored the TD on. The play itself was basically similar to what MT ran but in the context of the game and with the NDSU offensive line being the bread and bitter of the team why they got cute there is the frustrating part to me.

It was a really good game and congrats to Montana for winning. Good luck in Frisco and I will be cheering for the Grizzlies.

If any MT fans want recommendations on where to eat and some things to do I am certain the NDSU fans on here would be more than willing to help.

Dewey

Houndawg
December 17th, 2023, 09:04 AM
My biggest issue was the call itself. NDSU had been moving the LOS for a while and had just run the ball very well.

IMHO you run dang near the exacts same play that NDSU scored the TD on. The play itself was basically similar to what MT ran but in the context of the game and with the NDSU offensive line being the bread and bitter of the team why they got cute there is the frustrating part to me.

It was a really good game and congrats to Montana for winning. Good luck in Frisco and I will be cheering for the Grizzlies.

If any MT fans want recommendations on where to eat and some things to do I am certain the NDSU fans on here would be more than willing to help.

Dewey

Its like throwing a slant to the end zone from the 2 yard line when you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield

dewey
December 17th, 2023, 09:05 AM
I think the no-call was the right call. The TE was blocking well past the line of scrimmage, so it's either a no-call or double PI IMO. Offsetting penalties are almost as good for the offense as defensive PI alone in this case, though.

No kidding. The Bison O-Line was pushing the Griz defense 5+ yards off the ball every play in the overtimes, so then they call a gadget pass play from the 3? xconfusedx And they do it with some sort of swinging-gate-like formation even though there's obviously no threat of a regular PAT? xdontknowx

It's like they pulled out a graphing calculator to figure out the fastest way to cross the street. xrotatehx

Agreed. I have no issues with DPI not being called and you are spot on about NDSU over thinking the 2 point play.

The graphing calculator to cross the street is funny BTW.

Dewey

dewey
December 17th, 2023, 09:10 AM
Its like throwing a slant to the end zone from the 2 yard line when you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield

100% agreed. Sometimes coaches get too cute when your program and teams identity is the horses up front.

Seems obvious to me. You call TO challenge everyone up front to get 3 yards and then run dang near the same play that they scored on.

Similar to GSU in 2012. GSU knew the play that was coming and called TO to hopefully get NDSU to switch plays. NDSU knew they were better up front and ran the same play.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 17th, 2023, 09:19 AM
100% agreed. Sometimes coaches get too cute when your program and teams identity is the horses up front.

Seems obvious to me. You call TO challenge everyone up front to get 3 yards and then run dang near the same play that they scored on.

Similar to GSU in 2012. GSU knew the play that was coming and called TO to hopefully get NDSU to switch plays. NDSU knew they were better up front and ran the same play.

Dewey
Opposing teams, MSU and Montana, had three offensive series against us in OT, I wonder what their yards per play average was in those 3 series? I am sure it is a big double digit number. The D lost this OT game in Montana. A properly ran 2 point conversion would have just prolonged the agony. 🤮

Ridge1982
December 17th, 2023, 09:34 AM
SDSU -14.5 DraftKings
-13.5 FanDuel

POD Knows
December 17th, 2023, 10:03 AM
SDSU -14.5 DraftKings
-13.5 FanDuel
SDSU would have to play like dog**** not to cover that, I bet the line moves up some before the game.

Grizalltheway
December 17th, 2023, 10:46 AM
SDSU would have to play like dog**** not to cover that, I bet the line moves up some before the game.
They didn't cover that spread against MSU or Nova, so at the very least they can and do play like dog**** sometimes, or they aren't as good as running up the score against Albany made them look.

TheKingpin28
December 17th, 2023, 12:18 PM
I'm not as disappointed as i thought I would be. Hell of a game to both teams and this means that meathead is gone which is a win for NDSU at the end of the day. Congrats Griz fans and enjoy Frisco.

SteelSD
December 17th, 2023, 12:18 PM
They didn't cover that spread against MSU or Nova, so at the very least they can and do play like dog**** sometimes, or they aren't as good as running up the score against Albany made them look.
It’s funny that Griz fans of all people are talking about us running up the score. We learned at WGS not to let off the gas early because the opponent will still come out to play.

Grizalltheway
December 17th, 2023, 12:38 PM
It’s funny that Griz fans of all people are talking about us running up the score. We learned at WGS not to let off the gas early because the opponent will still come out to play.
You guys were taking endzone shots with 2 minutes left in the game Friday. There was a less than zero chance of Albany staging a miraculous comeback.

Grizzlies82
December 17th, 2023, 12:41 PM

Valid point, running up the score is permitted in big boy football.

I believe the two largest comeback wins in Grizzly history were both versus South Dakota State (1993 & 2009, and both in the neighbor of a 40 point deficit, if I remember correctly). After that you can never be comfortable that you have enough points.

grizband
December 17th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Opposing teams, MSU and Montana, had three offensive series against us in OT, I wonder what their yards per play average was in those 3 series? I am sure it is a big double digit number. The D lost this OT game in Montana. A properly ran 2 point conversion would have just prolonged the agony. 冷
Ask and you shall receive

Montana: 10 yards/play in 2 overtimes (5 plays, 50 yards)
Montana State: 25 yards/play in 1 overtime (1 play, 25 yards)

For comparison, North Dakota State averaged 5 yards/play in OT against Montana State (5 plays, 25 yards) and 12.5 yards/play in 2 OTs against Montana (4 plays, 50 yards).

POD Knows
December 17th, 2023, 02:27 PM

For comparison, North Dakota State averaged 5 yards/play in OT against Montana State (5 plays, 25 yards) and 12.5 yards/play in 2 OTs against Montana (4 plays, 50 yards).
I remembered the MSU on was a one play deal. 75 yards in 6 plays. That is hella bad.

grizband
December 17th, 2023, 02:42 PM

I remembered the MSU on was a one play deal. 75 yards in 6 plays. That is hella bad.
I mean, the Bison went 75 yards on 9 plays.

POD Knows
December 17th, 2023, 02:58 PM
30 yards of penalties.

grizband
December 17th, 2023, 03:16 PM

30 yards of penalties.
No, that figure is for the three overtime periods they played against the Griz and Cats.

POD Knows
December 17th, 2023, 03:55 PM
No, that figure is for the three overtime periods they played against the Griz and Cats.
Yea. I knew that. I though the other Griz fan was referring to the Bison drive at the end of the game

grizband
December 17th, 2023, 04:27 PM
Yea. I knew that. I though the other Griz fan was referring to the Bison drive at the end of the game
Oh, my mistake. Haha, I couldn't believe how the Bison just took over on their last drive. The Griz defense looked gassed, which usually happens to their oponents.

putter
December 17th, 2023, 08:19 PM
Why, so you could get 6 false start penalties and a hold. Outside of that, they played pretty well today.

Ha Ha, well said. 😂

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2023, 05:31 PM
Just saw a replay from the back of the end zone on the NDSU 2 point conversion. It was absolutely PI or holding.

that Bergen punt return was off the charts

and kind of funny after you were making fun off all those east coast special teams for getting torched

False starts were instant Karma after watching all those Bison games in the dome for 10 years and your fans blowing up plays

POD Knows
December 19th, 2023, 07:34 PM

and kind of funny after you were making fun off all those east coast special teams for getting torched

False starts were instant Karma after watching all those Bison games in the dome for 10 years and your fans blowing up plays
Bison special teams have not been real special for a while. Decent field goal kicker but the rest is average to below average

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 07:35 PM

Have to admit & agree that the False Starts were quite enjoyable for a SoCon Fan who had to watch 7 SoCon Playoff Teams (GaSou (2011), GaSou (2012), Wofford (2012), Furman (2013), Wofford (2017), ETSU (2021), and Samford (2022)) suffer similar difficulties & lose while trying to run their Offenses inside the equivalent of the housing of a jet engine in that infernal FargoDome.

ysubigred
December 19th, 2023, 08:05 PM
The 99 Penguins won in the jet turbine known as Washington Griz, the unseeded playoff team not to brag... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231220/03e535f21aa6f71c9abde5f9aa4c6e65.jpg

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2023, 09:12 PM
The 99 Penguins won in the jet turbine known as Washington Griz, the unseeded playoff team not to brag...
Furman peeps that were in Fargo in 2013 and in Missoula in 2023 told FUBeAR that Wa-Griz was a reading room inside a Carthusian monastery compared to the FargoDome.

ysubigred
December 20th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Furman peeps that were in Fargo in 2013 and in Missoula in 2023 told FUBeAR that Wa-Griz was a reading room inside a Carthusian monastery compared to the FargoDome.I bet. They have a lid on top of a rabid fan base. Oddly enough.. YSUs only Ws vs the Bizon are in the Fargo dome... hmmm.. maybe the flightless birds do better when they can't hear their dumb ass coaches LOL.

POD Knows
December 20th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Furman peeps that were in Fargo in 2013 and in Missoula in 2023 told FUBeAR that Wa-Griz was a reading room inside a Carthusian monastery compared to the FargoDome.
That was a meat grinder for visiting teams back then. There was about 18,500 at that game and the crowds were nuts during the early part of the run.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Have to admit & agree that the False Starts were quite enjoyable for a SoCon Fan who had to watch 7 SoCon Playoff Teams (GaSou (2011), GaSou (2012), Wofford (2012), Furman (2013), Wofford (2017), ETSU (2021), and Samford (2022)) suffer similar difficulties & lose while trying to run their Offenses inside the equivalent of the housing of a jet engine in that infernal FargoDome.

I think those Ga Southern and Wofford games were some of the best playoff games I can remember and the Dome field advantage was real