PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Gater
February 11th, 2024, 09:39 AM
Fordham feeling very good about the recruiting class. Recruiting certainly continues to be the greatest strength of Conlin's staff along with offensive production imo. Sounds like HC did not miss a beat although a ton of experience is walking out the door. Lafayette and Lehigh seem to have raised their game, talent wise. Any word on the classes at Colgate, Bucknell or Gtown? Seems like the PL is on the upswing and the removal of roster caps will only accelerate that imo. Huge news (and good to see LFN back!)

This is Colgate's class:

http://www.colgatefootballcollection.com/2024-recruiting.html

31 at this point. (Pretty sure Evan Floss going to Albany). Stan saying more to come in final recruiting cycle. A lot of guys who are 6'2" and can run. Colgate signed 25 last year. That class is the best in years. If this class can measure up, Colgate should be in good shape for a bit.

Colgate also has eight 5th year guys back, which is more than they have ever had.

Sader87
February 11th, 2024, 12:10 PM
Very early, but it looks the league could be very competitive this season, particularly amongst the top 4 teams from last year: Laffy, HC, Colgate and Fordham.

Go...gate
February 12th, 2024, 12:13 AM
The original question wasn't about scholarships, but what was called a "liberal grant in aid" program.

Semantics aside, what does Georgetown do?

DFW HOYA
February 12th, 2024, 10:34 AM
Semantics aside, what does Georgetown do?

I understood they run a form of the pre-2013 Patriot formula, need based, buying out work-study (the "equivalency" portion) and the use of the "likely letter", as athletic admissions do not take place in the early action pool.

It's not that the coaches can't coach but there is a talent ceiling-- manifest by restrictions on recruiting by the school and by the league itself. Georgetown can sell 1) location and 2) education but if the still-poor facilities and the lack of any winning tradition doesn't lose recruits, the lack of a grant-in aid will. Over the years, Georgetown has steered away from focusing on the Northeast recruiting effort because of the obvious: it loses against Ivies and loses to the other PL schools over scholarships, especially for higher income prospects. If Brown offered you a full ride and Georgetown offers a $27K family contribution, where do you go?

As a result, it has to reach further for recruits that aren't on the PL or Ivy radar--which isn't always as productive because there are fewer opportunities to scout and get a good idea of what they are really capable of. In Georgetown's early signees list, there were no mid-Atlantic signees, but two from Utah and Louisiana and one each from California, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, and Massachusetts. How were they ranked? Of the nine signees, according to 247 Sports, one is ranked 1,997th in their database (three stars), one at 2,906, one listed with no ranking, and six not even in the database.

My point has long been this: as long as you are constrained to the top 4-7% of the GPA/SAT pool, you are simply not going to find impact players at positions where you can turn a program around--and if you did, they will get better offers elsewhere 10 times out of 10. Rare, exceedingly so, is a truly impact RB or WR who is going to variously turn down Stanford, a Virginia, a PWO with a Big 10 school, a full offer at Villanova, Richmond, Holy Cross, Colgate, et. al., or turn a four year free ride in the Ivy League, simply to play football at Georgetown University.

Fordham
February 12th, 2024, 12:12 PM
I understood they run a form of the pre-2013 Patriot formula, need based, buying out work-study (the "equivalency" portion) and the use of the "likely letter", as athletic admissions do not take place in the early action pool.

Sgarlata, like his predecessors, has made little or no headway locally. Despite lots of good talent in DC and Maryland, Georgetown is not just attractive to them or their coaches. Caleb Williams, who played three miles down the road at Gonzaga, wasn't going to stay home, but a lot of WCAC and public school kids just won't consider it, either because of grades or the lack of opportunity to be considered at the next level. What Georgetown is eventually left with is a handful of PL-quality defensive talents and others who are a little small or a step too slow to get scholarship offers elsewhere. It's not that the coaches can't coach but there is a talent ceiling-- manifest by restrictions on recruiting by the school and by the league itself.

Georgetown can sell 1) location and 2) education but if the still-poor facilities and the lack of any winning tradition doesn't lose recruits, the lack of a grant-in aid will. Over the years, Georgetown has steered away from focusing on the Northeast recruiting effort because of the obvious: it loses against Ivies and loses to the other PL schools over scholarships, especially for higher income prospects. If Brown offered you a full ride and Georgetown offers a $27K loan, where do you go?

As a result, it has to reach further for recruits that aren't on the PL or Ivy radar--which isn't always as productive because there are fewer opportunities to scout and get a good idea of what they are really capable of. In Georgetown's early signees list, there were no mid-Atlantic signees, but two from Utah and Louisiana and one each from California, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, and Massachusetts. How were they ranked? Of the nine signees, according to 247 Sports, one is ranked 1,997th in their database (three stars), one at 2,906, one listed with no ranking, and six not even in the database.

My point has long been this: as long as you are constrained to the top 4-7% of the GPA/SAT pool, you are simply not going to find impact players at positions where you can turn a program around--and if you did, they will get better offers elsewhere 10 times out of 10. Rare, exceedingly so, is a truly impact RB or WR who is going to variously turn down Stanford, a Virginia, a PWO with a Big 10 school, a full offer at Villanova, Richmond, Holy Cross, Colgate, et. al., or turn a four year free ride in the Ivy League, simply to play football at Georgetown University.

The generous financial aid from the Ivies, particularly H-Y-P, has allowed them to provide what are effectively scholarships for those whose families make below a certain amount. That's what has led them to pull in some kids who had P5 offers I believe. A while back I was told the threshold at H-Y-P was for those making above $100K a year (and under). I have no idea what Gtown's endowment and corresponding aid policies are so curious if they're anywhere near what those schools can offer? If so, even though you're forced to recruit nationally it's really compelling to be able to offer a chance at a Georgetown degree for no or little cost even if the school chooses to do nothing on the merit side of things. That's the strategy Dave Clawson used at have our first successful run although he was also able to use the AI bands advantage that Fordham had relative to other PL schools. Still, you need to go further afield for sure but you can find amazing talent that way imo. Again, not sure what limitations Gtown may have financially or otherwise that keep them from taking advantage of it, so curious for your thoughts

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 12th, 2024, 10:00 PM
Lehigh beat Buffalo back in 2002, 37-26, that at the time extended Lehigh's regular season winning streak to 24 games! During our "Oasis Years" (as opposed to the recent 'Desert Years')xsmiley_wix

Stumbled into this tonight. I remember the night well! Dustin Diamond and the "Rocket Man" were part of the first game festivities. I was not yet of legal drinking age....

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/427827892_7630619476970417_3923295735077991930_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=s074uJwv4s8AX_i80gP&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AfC9ztHfMgv4jLlrL-lblXd6VlvBZZs_jk3jHyVutobXOw&oe=65D0A347

The Boogie Down
February 13th, 2024, 02:24 AM
Pete Lembo (a Hoya graduate) told me years ago that he saw Georgetown as a 'sleeping giant' if the administration changed its view on football.

If Lembo were at Georgetown today they'd win the PL within three years.

Wolffan
February 13th, 2024, 04:11 AM

It's not that the coaches can't coach but there is a talent ceiling-- manifest by restrictions on recruiting by the school and by the league itself. Georgetown can sell 1) location and 2) education but if the still-poor facilities and the lack of any winning tradition doesn't lose recruits, the lack of a grant-in aid will. Over the years, Georgetown has steered away from focusing on the Northeast recruiting effort because of the obvious: it loses against Ivies and loses to the other PL schools over scholarships, especially for higher income prospects. If Brown offered you a full ride and Georgetown offers a $27K loan, where do you go?

My point has long been this: as long as you are constrained to the top 4-7% of the GPA/SAT pool, you are simply not going to find impact players at positions where you can turn a program around--and if you did, they will get better offers elsewhere 10 times out of 10. Rare, exceedingly so, is a truly impact RB or WR who is going to variously turn down Stanford, a Virginia, a PWO with a Big 10 school, a full offer at Villanova, Richmond, Holy Cross, Colgate, et. al., or turn a four year free ride in the Ivy League, simply to play football at Georgetown University.They may also buy out the ‘loan’ portion of the financial aid package (a robust component of the ‘equivalency’ portion…but I have no recent info).

Admin has focused on certain sports and clearly the very expensive sport of football is not one of them.

Of course this hamstrings (essentially destroys) the football program’s ability to land quality players and difference - makers. But a wise OOC, a bit of PL bottom feeding, and an occasional PL upset make for the possibility of a .500 season now and again. Last season they were very very close to that.

Go...gate
February 13th, 2024, 07:34 PM
They may also buy out the ‘loan’ portion of the financial aid package (a robust component of the ‘equivalency’ portion…but I have no recent info).

Admin has focused on certain sports and clearly the very expensive sport of football is not one of them.

Of course this hamstrings (essentially destroys) the football program’s ability to land quality players and difference - makers. But a wise OOC, a bit of PL bottom feeding, and an occasional PL upset make for the possibility of a .500 season now and again. Last season they were very very close to that.

Akin to Columbia in the Ivy League.

Wolffan
February 16th, 2024, 04:47 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Wolffan https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3175400#post3175400)
They may also buy out the ‘loan’ portion of the financial aid package (a robust component of the ‘equivalency’ portion…but I have no recent info).

Akin to Columbia in the Ivy League.

And Boston College in the ACC (although this coming year they‘ve got a couple of tough OOC games).

ngineer
March 30th, 2024, 10:33 PM
Lehigh is bringing in perhaps the largest recruiting class, ever; considering the small size of rosters up until the 1970’s, with 36. Not sure if that number includes two or three transfers. Four or five 5th year seniors will be returning, including LB DeNuzio, C Padezanin and QB Perri. The return of Perri is huge as, otherwise the experience level at the position is scant. Silbor has left school. Perri’s return will be welcome with two highly touted fresh coming in he will be a great mentor as well as holding the fort til one is ready to go. Heard the current team is practicing at 5:45 a.m.! Supposedly, there hasn’t been much moaning. Spring game set for April 20 at 12 noon.

RichH2
March 31st, 2024, 02:39 PM
Lehigh is bringing in perhaps the largest recruiting class, ever; considering the small size of rosters up until the 1970’s, with 36. Not sure if that number includes two or three transfers. Four or five 5th year seniors will be returning, including LB DeNuzio, C Padezanin and QB Perri. The return of Perri is huge as, otherwise the experience level at the position is scant. Silbor has left school. Perri’s return will be welcome with two highly touted fresh coming in he will be a great mentor as well as holding the fort til one is ready to go. Heard the current team is practicing at 5:45 a.m.! Supposedly, there hasn’t been much moaning. Spring game set for April 20 at 12 noon.

As an inclusive group,it is the largest of the schollie era. It will likely increase with WOs in August. The talent level and speed have risen dramatically with this group.The season? Gonna be a learning experience for everyone.🤷*♂️😁 Thankful that Dante is here to hold down the spot as our touted recruits get acclimated.

DFW HOYA
March 31st, 2024, 04:32 PM
The off-season, in summary:

Lafayette: Confident
Colgate: Encouraged
Lehigh: Hopeful
Holy Cross, Fordham: Rebuilding
Bucknell, Georgetown: No changes

The Boogie Down
April 1st, 2024, 01:54 PM

Barring injuries, Fordham will not be rebuilding in 2024.

We return a QB who passed for 3,000 yards, a RB who rushed for 1,000 yards (and other parts that will make for the deepest backfield Fordham has ever seen at the FCS level), both of our blocking TE's and a decent WR coming off back-to-back 500 yard years. Granted, our two biggest weapons at WR last season have both graduated and there are a couple of O-line spots to rearrange but the O is still far more confident of continued success than in need of any rebuild.

As for the D, the good news is that the D returns 8/9 starters and several more who saw significant playing time over the past two seasons. The bad news is that the D returns 8/9 starters and several more who saw significant playing time over the past two seasons. Either way they're an extremely experienced group (lots of 5th years in the bunch) and I'm hopeful this is the season they finally pull it all together.

Overall, the running game and D-line have me encouraged that this will be a solid 8 win team that battles for the league championship. I also see more of smash-mouth team than high-flyers Fordham has previously produced. I'm not talking MVFC levels of smashing, but from the returning players (Julius Loughridge, Sam Buerkle, Matt Jaworski, James Conway to name a few) I see an extra toughness that will allow Fordham to flip many of last season's close losses. Again, barring injuries, Fordham will NOT be rebuilding in 2024.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 1st, 2024, 02:29 PM
Lehigh is more "fingers crossed" than hopeful at this point. After back-2-back 2-9 seasons, a second year head coach still trying to find his stride, two "interesting" lead coordinators, and a roster with some clear holes I remain concerned. The QB situation seems very much in flux (are they really going to start Perri who was benched in favor of Silbor?), the OL continues to lack depth and the schedule is arguably tougher than 2023's. I could easily see another 2 or 3 win season on the horizon.

Who here is honestly confident Hunt will get this offense humming given the current roster construction?

Lehigh 2024 schedule
@ Army...blowout loss
Wagner...pray for a win
@ LIU...maybe a win
Princeton...double digit loss
Bucknell.... maybe a win
@ Yale...blowout loss
Fordham...probably a close loss
@ Georgetown...toss-up
@ Holy Cross...likely loss
Colgate...loss
@ Lafayette loss

The league on the surface looks really bad again. Fordham has talent but Conlin can't get out of his own way still, Holy Cross is going to regress "significantly" imo, with Georgetown, Bucknell, and Lehigh still being among the worst in FCS. Colgate COULD take the next step but their schedule makes their win ceiling 6 MAYBE 7 games. I could see the Raiders finishing second in the league but below .500 overall. An 0-3 start will squash their ability to gain any relevance nationally.

Lafayette feels like the runaway favorite....

Wolffan
April 1st, 2024, 03:33 PM

Agree with much of this (although Fordham's not in a rebuild). Although HC lost tons of talent (including a talented head coach), they do bring back the QB who beat Fordham and Lehigh last year and their best running back. It'll be interesting to see the pre-season voting - no idea who is the favorite.

Southsider
April 1st, 2024, 05:43 PM
Lehigh is more "fingers crossed" than hopeful at this point. After back-2-back 2-9 seasons, a second year head coach still trying to find his stride, two "interesting" lead coordinators, and a roster with some clear holes I remain concerned. The QB situation seems very much in flux (are they really going to start Perri who was benched in favor of Silbor?), the OL continues to lack depth and the schedule is arguably tougher than 2023's. I could easily see another 2 or 3 win season on the horizon.

Who here is honestly confident Hunt will get this offense humming given the current roster construction?

Lehigh 2024 schedule
@ Army...blowout loss
Wagner...pray for a win
@ LIU...maybe a win
Bucknell.... maybe a win
@ Yale...blowout loss
@ Georgetown...toss-up
Colgate...loss
@ Lafayette loss

The league on the surface looks really bad again. Fordham has talent but Conlin can't get out of his own way still, Holy Cross is going to regress "significantly" imo, with Georgetown, Bucknell, and Lehigh still being among the worst in FCS. Colgate COULD take the next step but their schedule makes their win ceiling 6 MAYBE 7 games. I could see the Raiders finishing second in the league but below .500 overall. An 0-3 start will squash their ability to gain any relevance nationally.

Hell no! He is awful!!

DFW HOYA
April 1st, 2024, 05:49 PM
We return a QB who passed for 3,000 yards, a RB who rushed for 1,000 yards (and other parts that will make for the deepest backfield Fordham has ever seen at the FCS level), both of our blocking TE's and a decent WR coming off back-to-back 500 yard years. Granted, our two biggest weapons at WR last season have both graduated and there are a couple of O-line spots to rearrange but the O is still far more confident of continued success than in need of any rebuild.

Thanks for the correction--with five 5th years starting last fall on offense per the media notes, this may not be as concerning if the depth is there.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 1st, 2024, 05:54 PM
Agree with much of this (although Fordham's not in a rebuild). Although HC lost tons of talent (including a talented head coach), they do bring back the QB who beat Fordham and Lehigh last year and their best running back. It'll be interesting to see the pre-season voting - no idea who is the favorite.

I think the voting will be rather predictable...
1. Lafayette
2. Colgate
3. Fordham
4. Holy Cross
5. Lehigh
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

A case could be made for Fordham at #2 but I think the way Colgate finished 2023 combined with who they return gives the Raiders the edge. Holy Cross seems like a solid bet for 4th. I think Lehigh gets the nod over Bucknell and Georgetown on historical pedigree. The Hoyas probably should be ahead of Lehigh but perception won't allow it to happen....

ngineer
April 1st, 2024, 11:27 PM

Lehigh 2024 schedule
@ Army...blowout loss
Wagner...pray for a win
@ LIU...maybe a win
Bucknell.... maybe a win
@ Yale...blowout loss
@ Georgetown...toss-up
Colgate...loss
@ Lafayette loss

The QB situation will be a 'hold the fort' until one of the two frosh are ready to roll. Both are extremely good athletes with different strengths. Perri was #2 last year as Cahill wanted to give Silbor a full shot at the job and the future. Silbor had much stronger arm and taller, but aside from some sporadic excellence, he seemed to regress as the season wore on. Not progressing through his checks, he locked in early and was read. Perri is actually more mobile but, more importantly, is a leader and is respected by the team for the way he handled last season. While he doesn't have the cannon of an arm, he can make the offense move. He showed that against Laughyette the last two years. I agree that 3-4 wins should be a reasonable goal. The OL will be decent, so long as they stay healthy..hence, as you note, the depth. Virtually all returning starters. A couple transfers might help right away on offense with an RB and WR coming in from Miami, OH and Boston College. Secondary obviously needs to improve. Was very young last year. What was great to see is the that Lehigh had a yield of 78% (which led the League) of all recruits who visited the campus and spent time with the players and coaches. The players have bought-in to Cahill's vision of a culture change. The schedule is interesting, as well, with a two-week bye after the 5th game. I would look to see one or the other freshmen QBs start seeing playing time by then, barring injury. That break could bring a well needed time for some to heal up from the early start, as well as inject some different looks. It is a challenging time, but I am impressed by Cahill's approach, demeanor, and how he seems to connect with the players...BTW, they have seemed to embraced practicing at 5:45 a.m.!

BucBisonAtLarge
April 2nd, 2024, 05:41 PM
Folks!
I don't know if this has been shared here, or elsewhere, but Bucknell announced their '24 schedule.

The highlights-
12 games
Opening at Navy
Six home games for the first time since 2017

2024 Bucknell Football Schedule
Aug. 31 at Navy
Sept. 7 at VMI
Sept. 14 vs. Merrimack
Sept. 21 vs. Marist (Family Weekend)
Sept. 28 at Lehigh*
Oct. 12 at Penn
Oct. 19 vs. Cornell (Homecoming)
Oct. 26 at Georgetown*
Nov. 2 vs. Lafayette*
Nov. 9 vs. Fordham*
Nov. 16 at Holy Cross*
Nov. 23 vs. Colgate*

The stars are aligned for me to able to get to the Navy game. Staying engaged with this program, 1800 miles away, has been a challenge. You guys are much easier to check up on. Carry on.

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2024/3/28/bucknell-football-unveils-12-game-2024-schedule

DFW HOYA
April 2nd, 2024, 07:29 PM
Six of the seven PL schools have a FBS opponent, well done.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 2nd, 2024, 10:09 PM
Six of the seven PL schools have a FBS opponent, well done.

Bowling Green, Army, Navy, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Akron are about as "practical" as it gets for PL FBS opponents. With that said, Georgetown is not "missing out" by being the lone wolf. For a program trying to establish any semblance of winning, I believe the Hoya's 2024 slate is very good! Hell, after two straight 9 loss seasons, I would look at such a schedule as a much needed opportunity for Lehigh to stem the tide of losing seasons. As it is, I fear a 6th straight (excluding spring 2021) losing campaign on South Mountain which I would have declared a virtual impossibility 7 years ago.

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2024, 12:08 AM
Colgate's schedule is again challenging. Substituting Merrimack for Army makes sense.

bonarae
April 3rd, 2024, 12:34 AM
In one sentence... from an Ivy fan's perspective xsighx

PL -> forward-thinking
IL -> backward-thinking

Do you think the PL (at least those who regularly schedule money games, sometimes out of region ones) will remain FCS after 15 more seasons where elsewhere, especially in the South, programs shift gears, conferences and even subdivisions? xdontknowx

Go Green
April 3rd, 2024, 06:05 AM
Colgate's schedule is again challenging. Substituting Merrimack for Army makes sense.

Dartmouth had to schedule Merrimack when Army booted us because it had to fill its new conference slate.

I assume Colgate did the same thing for the same reason? If so, nobody benefited (at least in the short run) from Army's joining the AAC than Merrimack.

Go Green
April 3rd, 2024, 06:07 AM
In one sentence... from an Ivy fan's perspective xsighx

PL -> forward-thinking
IL -> backward-thinking

Do you think the PL (at least those who regularly schedule money games, sometimes out of region ones) will remain FCS after 15 more seasons where elsewhere, especially in the South, programs shift gears, conferences and even subdivisions? xdontknowx

Except that PL teams have been playing FBS teams for quite a while.

And with the exception of last season, Ivy teams were regularly getting the better of PL teams during that time.

We will see if last season was the beginning of a trend or just a hiccup.

Kramden
April 3rd, 2024, 09:32 AM
I doubt that 2023 was the beginning of a trend. The IVY's have the money and will continue to out recruit the PL; both academically and on the field. Scheduling one FBS opponent and participating in the playoffs is not enough to take those academically eligible for the IVY's to pull them away, nor will they win many top athletic recruits away from the more academically strong CAA teams. The PL is in a box; in my opinion.

DFW HOYA
April 3rd, 2024, 09:39 AM
Bowling Green, Army, Navy, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Akron are about as "practical" as it gets for PL FBS opponents. With that said, Georgetown is not "missing out" by being the lone wolf. For a program trying to establish any semblance of winning, I believe the Hoya's 2024 slate is very good!

How many seasons of Davidson, Sacred Heart, and Marist is appropriate?

Wolffan
April 3rd, 2024, 10:05 AM
I doubt that 2023 was the beginning of a trend. The IVY's have the money and will continue to out recruit the PL; both academically and on the field. Scheduling one FBS opponent and participating in the playoffs is not enough to take those academically eligible for the IVY's to pull them away, nor will they win many top athletic recruits away from the more academically strong CAA teams. The PL is in a box; in my opinion. For Holy Cross and Fordham out-recruiting MAC and CAA for talented kids has been the way forward. Their focus is on winning the PL and advancing in the playoffs. As far as rankings go, scheduling CAA and beating them is the key. (Looking at the last five years Fordham rarely plays Ivy teams and Holy Cross does just fine against the best of them.)

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2024, 01:11 PM
Except that PL teams have been playing FBS teams for quite a while.

And with the exception of last season, Ivy teams were regularly getting the better of PL teams during that time.

We will see if last season was the beginning of a trend or just a hiccup.

I think the PL will continue to get a little bit deeper next year. Lafayette, Holy Cross, Colgate and Fordham should all be decent to good. Does Lehigh make a marked turnaround in 2024 or are we still another year away from seeing them contend again? Bucknell is Bucknell and Georgetown IMO will continue to punch above its weight.

My 2024 PL champ pick right now is Colgate.

As far as comparing to the Ivy, last couple of years have been a bit strange in the Ancient 8. Still very strong top to bottom but lacked truly great teams at the top. I see next year the Ivy winning around 60% of the cross sectional matchups.

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2024, 01:24 PM
Dartmouth had to schedule Merrimack when Army booted us because it had to fill its new conference slate.

I assume Colgate did the same thing for the same reason? If so, nobody benefited (at least in the short run) from Army's joining the AAC than Merrimack.

Correct.

ngineer
April 3rd, 2024, 02:45 PM
I think the PL will continue to get a little bit deeper next year. Lafayette, Holy Cross, Colgate and Fordham should all be decent to good. Does Lehigh make a marked turnaround in 2024 or are we still another year away from seeing them contend again? Bucknell is Bucknell and Georgetown IMO will continue to punch above its weight.

As far as comparing to the Ivy, last couple of years have been a bit strange in the Ancient 8. Still very strong top to bottom but lacked truly great teams at the top. I see next year the Ivy winning around 60% of the cross sectional matchups.

If Lehigh can stay healthy, we will be better this year, and should be in the second tier of the PL. We lack depth, in terms of experience. If the OL gets dinged badly, it will be a tough road. How quickly the freshmen QBs can adapt to the college game in reading defenses will determine if they will see field. While Perri is not a great QB, he is experienced and can manage a game. We're lucky to have him back for a fifth year. Kicking game should be solid. I agree on Colgate being preseason favorite followed by Laughyette, Holy Cross and Fordham.(top tier). Afterwards, Lehigh, Bucknell and Georgetown. Interestingly, our schedule has Lehigh playing the 'top tier' in November, so how quickly the "youngins" grow and how healthy we stay, could determine a Cinderella finish or triage camp.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2024, 05:16 PM

Losing Chesney is big loss for both the league and Holy Cross. Just like losing Biddle, Moorhead, Coen, etc was. Like in basketball with Langel, who has the best coach pretty much runs the league because for whatever reason, the administrations have struggled to get it right at the same time in recent years. Troxell is the proven commodity at this point given what he did at F&M and within two years at Lafayette. The Leopards return more than enough talent/experience to repeat. Plus, their schedule is quite favorable, 9-3 maybe 8-4 is my guess.

Colgate did beat the 'Pards last year in Easton which means Lafayette heads to Hamilton, in November as a bonus, this season which could factor into a tie-breaker situation. I don't put too much stock in their wins over Lehigh (Mountain Hawks no-showed) and Fordham (flaky Fordham at its best). Raiders first 5 games are @ Maine, Villanova, @ Akron, Cornell, @ Penn. I don't think it's beyond reason to believe a 1-4 or even an 0-5 start is possible. With that said, beat Maine in Orono and the tone changes significantly. Moorhead is in year 3 at Akron. Last year they were competitively terrible. Villanova will win by 3+ TDs, Penn will be a "solid" favorite, and Cornell is a big rival.

Fordham may very well be the most talented team but I don't trust them. They'll sleep walk to a 7-5 type season imo....

Holy Cross is naturally going to experience a regression in coaching and talent (especially depth of talent). I'm still shocked they went with Curran. While this is obviously a small sample size (i've paid attention to Merrimack given this tie) Curran is 0-2 against Lehigh recently which is a tough feat to accomplish. My believe he'll prove to be a solid hire (similar to early Gilmore) in large part to the program investments/residual equity created by Chesney. HC's schedule is brutal, @ Rhode Island, UNH, @ Bryant, Yale, @ Syracuse, @ Colgate, Fordham, @ Harvard, @ Lafayette before 3 very winnable game to end the season. When factoring in the attrition on the heels of last year's 7-4 campaign, I foresee a 5-7 maybe even a 4-8 type season in Worcester. Of the games I listed which ones will HC be favored in?

bonarae
April 3rd, 2024, 06:58 PM
Holy Cross is naturally going to experience a regression in coaching and talent (especially depth of talent). I'm still shocked they went with Curran. While this is obviously a small sample size (i've paid attention to Merrimack given this tie) Curran is 0-2 against Lehigh recently which is a tough feat to accomplish. My believe he'll prove to be a solid hire (similar to early Gilmore) in large part to the program investments/residual equity created by Chesney. HC's schedule is brutal, @ Rhode Island, UNH, @ Bryant, Yale, @ Syracuse, @ Colgate, Fordham, @ Harvard, @ Lafayette before 3 very winnable game to end the season. When factoring in the attrition on the heels of last year's 7-4 campaign, I foresee a 5-7 maybe even a 4-8 type season in Worcester. Of the games I listed which ones will HC be favored in?

My take:
Rhody
UNH (50-50)
Bryant
Harvard (new coach effect?)

That's all for now I think.

DFW HOYA
April 3rd, 2024, 07:04 PM
Have any PL schools picked up talent in the transfer portal?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2024, 07:29 PM
My take:
Rhody
UNH (50-50)
Bryant
Harvard (new coach effect?)

That's all for now I think.

- URI was 6-5, 4-4 in the CAA last year and they'll be at home. I don't see HC giving points.
- UNH was also 6-5, 4-4 in the CAA. Depending on how the URI game goes and accounting for the fact the Wildcats travel to Worcester leads me to believe this could be a pick'em type game
- Bryant figures to be pegged for the bottom 1/4 of the CAA in their first year. They're at home but I could see HC being a "solid" favorite.
- Harvard at home, I don't see the Crimson giving points unless they really struggled out of the gate. Which is possible? As of right now, I favor their talent level over the Crusaders...

Colgate and Holy Cross both have great barometer games to start the year. Not too tough, not too easy, rather just right....

Franks Tanks
April 4th, 2024, 08:17 AM

Lafayette signed a DB from App State, but that was all. I expect the Pard’s to pick up one or two transfers yearly at most.

Lafayette’s OOC schedule is the most manageable in years with Buffalo, SHU, Columbia, Monmouth, Marist and Stonehill. The Pard’s should be a confident team heading into 2024, with the OOC schedule helping to build momentum for league play. I expect at least 4-2 from the OOC slate.

LUHawker
April 4th, 2024, 12:35 PM
I doubt that 2023 was the beginning of a trend. The IVY's have the money and will continue to out recruit the PL; both academically and on the field. Scheduling one FBS opponent and participating in the playoffs is not enough to take those academically eligible for the IVY's to pull them away, nor will they win many top athletic recruits away from the more academically strong CAA teams. The PL is in a box; in my opinion.

I think this describes the PL situation succinctly. I think the more successful play for the PL is to compete for those that are going to Villanova, W&M, Richmond, Elon in the CAA, instead of trying to out-recruit the Ivies. Maybe with the ability to offer the full scholly allotment that changes the landscape a bit. Ultimately the PL needs more consistent success on the field as a league. While HC was a strong flag-bearer, it did so at a time of historic weakness at Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette, so the perception of a 'one-bid' league was solidified. The PL needs Colgate, and Lehigh, in particular, to right themselves because they've historically had more presence in the FCS.

Wolffan
April 5th, 2024, 06:12 AM
I think this describes the PL situation succinctly. I think the more successful play for the PL is to compete for those that are going to Villanova, W&M, Richmond, Elon in the CAA, instead of trying to out-recruit the Ivies. Maybe with the ability to offer the full scholly allotment that changes the landscape a bit. Ultimately the PL needs more consistent success on the field as a league. While HC was a strong flag-bearer, it did so at a time of historic weakness at Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette, so the perception of a 'one-bid' league was solidified. The PL needs Colgate, and Lehigh, in particular, to right themselves because they've historically had more presence in the FCS.Yes, PL recruiting success v CAA (and MAC) was the secret to Holy Cross success over the last five or six years. It seemed several players were on the fence between Holy Cross and UNH…and ultimately went Holy Cross’ way. Also, landing players with MAC offers has been another component of their (Holy Cross’) recruiting success. Whether this recent success on the recruiting trail can be maintained by Coach Curran (who himself chose UNH over Holy Cross as a player given the schollie issue back in the earlier PL) is another story.

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2024, 08:54 AM
Losing Chesney is big loss for both the league and Holy Cross. Just like losing Biddle, Moorhead, Coen, etc was. Like in basketball with Langel, who has the best coach pretty much runs the league because for whatever reason, the administrations have struggled to get it right at the same time in recent years. Troxell is the proven commodity at this point given what he did at F&M and within two years at Lafayette. The Leopards return more than enough talent/experience to repeat. Plus, their schedule is quite favorable, 9-3 maybe 8-4 is my guess.

Colgate did beat the 'Pards last year in Easton which means Lafayette heads to Hamilton, in November as a bonus, this season which could factor into a tie-breaker situation. I don't put too much stock in their wins over Lehigh (Mountain Hawks no-showed) and Fordham (flaky Fordham at its best). Raiders first 5 games are @ Maine, Villanova, @ Akron, Cornell, @ Penn. I don't think it's beyond reason to believe a 1-4 or even an 0-5 start is possible. With that said, beat Maine in Orono and the tone changes significantly. Moorhead is in year 3 at Akron. Last year they were competitively terrible. Villanova will win by 3+ TDs, Penn will be a "solid" favorite, and Cornell is a big rival.

Fordham may very well be the most talented team but I don't trust them. They'll sleep walk to a 7-5 type season imo....

While I haven't formally made my prediction on Holy Cross, I think it's going to be a challenging season. I still think we have a pretty talented team that could in most years contend for a PL title. Defense was very young last year and showed some improvement late in the season. We also return a backup QB who led us to two comeback wins in the Patriot League stretch run last year. He's no Sluka but we won't be lacking at the position.

5 wins is probably what I would guess, 6 would be a great start for Curran with this year's schedule IMO. What makes it tough is that there will be A LOT of opponents out for blood against us. We were basically everyone's Super Bowl in the PL the past two years, and even though we aren't the favorites anymore, I still think that we'll be the team that everyone gets up for. Chesney's teams played with a lot of swagger and were often labeled cocky and unsportsmanlike by the opposition, so yea some licks will be taken. Yale will look to bounce back against us after we STOMPED them back to back seasons. We've absolutely blown out Colgate 4 straight times. We play AT Lafayette. Our league rival Fordham hasn't beaten us since the Yankee Stadium game in 2016 and will be hungry to finally break through. Back to Cambridge against Harvard -- we've only won at Harvard Stadium once in the past 20 years, in 2022. Not to mention URI and Bryant will both be tough games. Not sure what they each have coming back.

AND we play our nine most difficult games on paper, in a row, before our bye week, and close with the three easiest opponents on paper.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2024, 09:52 AM
The PL needs Colgate, and Lehigh, in particular, to right themselves because they've historically had more presence in the FCS.

The PL needs Bucknell, and Georgetown in particular, to right themselves.

centraljerseycat
April 5th, 2024, 10:59 AM

I wish Nova and Holy Cross would commit to a long-term scheduling arrangement similar to the one we had with Lehigh.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2024, 12:01 PM
I wish Nova and Holy Cross would commit to a long-term scheduling arrangement similar to the one we had with Lehigh.

I wish Nova and Georgetown would commit to a long-term scheduling arrangement similar to the one you had with Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 5th, 2024, 02:33 PM
If Lehigh can stay healthy, we will be better this year, and should be in the second tier of the PL. We lack depth, in terms of experience. If the OL gets dinged badly, it will be a tough road. How quickly the freshmen QBs can adapt to the college game in reading defenses will determine if they will see field. While Perri is not a great QB, he is experienced and can manage a game. We're lucky to have him back for a fifth year. Kicking game should be solid. I agree on Colgate being preseason favorite followed by Laughyette, Holy Cross and Fordham.(top tier). Afterwards, Lehigh, Bucknell and Georgetown. Interestingly, our schedule has Lehigh playing the 'top tier' in November, so how quickly the "youngins" grow and how healthy we stay, could determine a Cinderella finish or triage camp.

Lehigh had an excellent recruiting class! And I say that as someone who generally doesn't get too hyped with recruiting given ALL the variables. Being able to land two of the top QBs in PA and RB Crossley was honestly shocking. There were quality pieces abound but those 3 really stand out given Lehigh's long history with offensive stars and that side of the ball's epic struggles recently. Now it comes down to the staff developing and retaining these guys. This is where I'm concerned. Perri/a freshman QB behind a shaky OL would be a recipe for trouble for most teams. With Hunt being the one trying to figure things out I am extremely concerned.

Cahill's decision to focus on guys who resided within 2-3 hours of campus was a smart move at this level. Get these student-athletes and their families to become part of the Lehigh community (academically, athletically, socially) so the portal becomes less enticing.

ngineer
April 5th, 2024, 03:22 PM

At present, Lehigh has a WR from Boston College and an RB from Miami, OH. No idea on their ratings, but does give us more depth at RB which is needed.

The Boogie Down
April 5th, 2024, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the correction--with five 5th years starting last fall on offense per the media notes, this may not be as concerning if the depth is there.

Most of those 5th year O guys were on the line, not skills people. Without really knowing which spot is going where I can say that all the O-line replacements (from a strong junior class) come with experience over the last two seasons. The WR core is different. Unless we get some portal help we do have a weakness there. The D is the D but at least there's tons of experience on that side. Not only several 5th year guys but, from looking at the spring practice roster, one 7th year guy. That could be a misprint so I'm not naming names but yeah, that might add a whole lotta experience-lol

Long story shorter, we're not rebuilding and we have lots of talent coming back. Definitely enough talent to win the PL.

Problem is (counting the Covid mini season) this is the 5th offseason in a row I'm saying we have enough talent to win the PL. We came close once but completely flaked out the other three times. Not sure how Conlin will be able to defend not winning yet again but it keeps happening.

ngineer
April 11th, 2024, 10:35 AM
Most of those 5th year O guys were on the line, not skills people. Without really knowing which spot is going where I can say that all the O-line replacements (from a strong junior class) come with experience over the last two seasons. The WR core is different. Unless we get some portal help we do have a weakness there. The D is the D but at least there's tons of experience on that side. Not only several 5th year guys but, from looking at the spring practice roster, one 7th year guy. That could be a misprint so I'm not naming names but yeah, that might add a whole lotta experience-lol

Long story shorter, we're not rebuilding and we have lots of talent coming back. Definitely enough talent to win the PL.

Problem is (counting the Covid mini season) this is the 5th offseason in a row I'm saying we have enough talent to win the PL. We came close once but completely flaked out the other three times. Not sure how Conlin will be able to defend not winning yet again but it keeps happening.

​To quote Roseanne Rosannadana, "It's aways something..."

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Not sure how Conlin will be able to defend not winning yet again but it keeps happening.

There's no hot seat in Patriot Land:

Everyone Is Happy: Troxell, Dakosty
New: Curran
Relatively New: Cahill
No Issues Yet: Conlin
Fit For Purpose: Sgarlata, Cecchini

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 11th, 2024, 06:27 PM
There's no hot seat in Patriot Land:

Everyone Is Happy: Troxell, Dakosty
New: Curran
Relatively New: Cahill
No Issues Yet: Conlin
Fit For Purpose: Sgarlata, Cecchini

I would pushback on "everyone is happy" with Dakosty. Stan felt compelled to pen a letter to the 'Gate faithful before the Raider's rivalry game with Cornell in an attempt to settle the growing unrest in Hamilton. While last year's 6-5 record and some positive preseason pub heading into 2024 is nice, a 5-6 or worse season leads that nowhere will have Stan back on the hot seat imo.

Cahill needs to show some tangible progress the program is ready to return to legitimacy in 2025. If this year is another 3 or even 4 win campaign Kevin will be on the hot seat 12 months from now.

I could see a mutual parting of the ways between Fordham and Conlin if the Rams were to go 5-7, maybe even 6-6.

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2024, 07:05 PM
I would pushback on "everyone is happy" with Dakosty. Stan felt compelled to pen a letter to the 'Gate faithful before the Raider's rivalry game with Cornell in an attempt to settle the growing unrest in Hamilton. While last year's 6-5 record and some positive preseason pub heading into 2024 is nice, a 5-6 or worse season leads that nowhere will have Stan back on the hot seat imo.

That's fair. Troxell is in great shape, Sgarlata too but for different reasons, and everyone else is under some expectation to improve in 2024.

Gate83
April 11th, 2024, 09:09 PM

You're reading too much into that letter, which admittedly was strange. Anyway, Stan is loved by his players (current & alums), the administration & the larger alumni base. 5-6 he's got no trouble, we can talk if it's 1-10...

NY Crusader 2010
April 12th, 2024, 08:13 AM
Curran may be the one who faces the most unrealistic expectations. If we're not competing with the Dakota schools by year 3, some of the fan base will begin to get restless. Fortunately, the administration will probably put more realistic goals on his shoulders.

pardfan
April 14th, 2024, 10:31 AM
Six teams (of the nine competing) are tied for first place in men's lacrosse with 4-2 league records and two games remaining. For me, Patriot League parity in athletics is what makes the league special.

Go...gate
April 14th, 2024, 03:23 PM
Six teams (of the nine competing) are tied for first place in men's lacrosse with 4-2 league records and two games remaining. For me, Patriot League parity in athletics is what makes the league special.

Right on.

Wolffan
April 17th, 2024, 07:25 AM
When a team breaks parity for an extended period of time (recently, Colgate Men’s Hoops and Holy Cross football) it is particularly impressive.

NY Crusader 2010
April 17th, 2024, 08:43 AM
When a team breaks parity for an extended period of time (recently, Colgate Men’s Hoops and Holy Cross football) it is particularly impressive.

Both of those runs also did coincide with traditional league powers being down during that time. Lehigh and Colgate in football during Holy Cross' football run + Bucknell and Holy Cross in basketball during Colgate's hoops run. Although we've been bad for long enough to really consider whether HC is a "traditional power" or "flagship" when it comes to Patriot League Men's Basketball. Our last stretch of being consistently very good at the mid-major level ended in the late 2000's, basically half the lifetime of the PL ago.

Wolffan
April 18th, 2024, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by pardfan https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3184357#post3184357)

Both of those runs also did coincide with traditional league powers being down during that time. Lehigh and Colgate in football during Holy Cross' football run + Bucknell and Holy Cross in basketball during Colgate's hoops run. Although we've been bad for long enough to really consider whether HC is a "traditional power" or "flagship" when it comes to Patriot League Men's Basketball. Our last stretch of being consistently very good at the mid-major level ended in the late 2000's, basically half the lifetime of the PL ago. Yes. The new facilities (Luth, etc.), superior coaching (Chesney and staff), and superior recruiting (Sluka, Dobbs, Coker, etc.) at Holy Cross certainly put them at an advantage over the rest of the league including Colgate and Lehigh.

Fordham (DeMorat, etc.) was very good at about the same time HC was excellent in this recent football run.

I don't think folks think of HC as a traditional PL basketball power given what's been going on in the Hart Center (with exceptions) this century.

Pards Rule
April 22nd, 2024, 04:56 PM
I was at Pard scrimmage Saturday, Good showing of 200 folks. DeNobile looked like he shook off the injury at Delaware. Curtis sat out, not unexprected. Ryan Shuster (this past years starter) portaled this past week. The new # 2 is soph Peyton Cosover who I was very impressed with. Hes 6-2, 210. Kicking looked very good. We needed that FG we missed in Delaware game. Im shuffling off to Buffalo where we can win our first game vs FBS (now should we go back to 1-A and 1-AA as FBS is really now doing a bracket) since Sept 1981 vs Columbia (then a 1-A).

NY Crusader 2010
April 24th, 2024, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by pardfan https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3184357#post3184357)

Yes. The new facilities (Luth, etc.), superior coaching (Chesney and staff), and superior recruiting (Sluka, Dobbs, Coker, etc.) at Holy Cross certainly put them at an advantage over the rest of the league including Colgate and Lehigh.

Fordham (DeMorat, etc.) was very good at about the same time HC was excellent in this recent football run.

I don't think folks think of HC as a traditional PL basketball power given what's been going on in the Hart Center (with exceptions) this century.

My freshman year at HC was the 06-07 PL title run in MBB with Torey Thomas an Keith Simmons. I remember thinking I was seeing the norm when it came to HC basketball expectations in the Patriot League. It's wild how far we've fallen in men's hoops, and for how long.

DFW HOYA
April 25th, 2024, 01:13 PM
Some coverage of the upcoming season:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2024/4/25/24071451/fcs-patriot-league-2024-holy-cross-crusaders-lafayette-leopards-colgate-raiders-georgetown-hoyas

RichH2
April 26th, 2024, 05:55 PM

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2024/4/25/24071451/fcs-patriot-league-2024-holy-cross-crusaders-lafayette-leopards-colgate-raiders-georgetown-hoyas

A good read. Pretty fair article. Some actual perspective of the upcoming season. Would love to be able to disagree with his take on Lehigh. Cahill faces many of the same issues as last season Perhaps after Camp we might have some positives to hang our hopes on.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 26th, 2024, 08:36 PM

Seems like a practical look at the league in April. Lafayette's schedule definitely favors them imo. The biggest question to me is can Conlin get Fordham to reach their maximum potential? Because if lightning strikes their offense alone is good enough to carry them to a Top 15 or better season...

I remain very concerned about Lehigh. When you have serious questions at QB/OL the recipe is place for a train wreck. How quickly can the freshman be brought up to speed? Potential for a 2-3 QB system by October? Go revolutionary?

RichH2
April 27th, 2024, 09:37 AM
Seems like a practical look at the league in April. Lafayette's schedule definitely favors them imo. The biggest question to me is can Conlin get Fordham to reach their maximum potential? Because if lightning strikes their offense alone is good enough to carry them to a Top 15 or better season...

I remain very concerned about Lehigh. When you have serious questions at QB/OL the recipe is place for a train wreck. How quickly can the freshman be brought up to speed? Potential for a 2-3 QB system by October? Go revolutionary?

A Super Wildcat system.What the heck? Why not.😁👍We have a frosh who can run and pass a bit. Another frosh who can throw and run a bit. And a QB with experience. Key as always the OL. With Padezanin, the line s/b at least solid. Depth? The burden is on OL coaches to get a cohesive unit on the field. A factor Lehigh hasn't had in 6 years

Wolffan
April 27th, 2024, 11:58 AM

Seems pretty fair. As far as Holy Cross goes, with the roster talent level way down with the graduations over the last two years and with the most inexperienced quarterback room in the Patriot League, it's very hard to see them winning another PL championship next season. And hitting the portal to immediately replace departing Patriot League stars (Sluka, Dobbs, Coker, NFL draftee Hanson, etc.) is just not an option at HC.

Look for Lafayette and Fordham to ride their proven players to the top of the conference.

NY Crusader 2010
April 29th, 2024, 05:43 AM
Seems pretty fair. As far as Holy Cross goes, with the roster talent level way down with the graduations over the last two years and with the most inexperienced quarterback room in the Patriot League, it's very hard to see them winning another PL championship next season. And hitting the portal to immediately replace departing Patriot League stars (Sluka, Dobbs, Coker, NFL draftee Hanson, etc.) is just not an option at HC.

Look for Lafayette and Fordham to ride their proven players to the top of the conference.

Our presumptive starter did go 2-0 last year, both comeback wins in key must-win league games. Will be interesting to see how he does this fall without Newman and Hanson blocking for him and without Coker to throw to downfield.

Just as big a question mark is how will the defense respond to losing DC Scott James, one of the best in the business IMO. We had a young D last year, especially on the line, and they got stronger as the year went on. To end the season, they held the Army OFFENSE to 10 points (7pt came on a blocked punt return early in the game) and then Georgetown to 10 points (they scored 52 the week prior against Bucknell).

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 29th, 2024, 07:59 AM

You are exaggerating the parity. It doesn't exist in women's lacrosse or track & field. Or softball.

DFW HOYA
April 29th, 2024, 09:36 AM
. As far as Holy Cross goes, with the roster talent level way down with the graduations over the last two years and with the most inexperienced quarterback room in the Patriot League, it's very hard to see them winning another PL championship next season.

If HC is the "most inexperienced", it's not by much. Georgetown's QB depth chart:

Danny Lauter: Two seasons, one game played
Jordan Holmes: One season, no games
Jacob Holtschlag: One season, no games
Dez Thomas: One season, no games
Jack Johnson: Arrives this fall

Wolffan
April 29th, 2024, 07:03 PM
If HC is the "most inexperienced", it's not by much. Georgetown's QB depth chart:

Danny Lauter: Two seasons, one game played
Jordan Holmes: One season, no games
Jacob Holtschlag: One season, no games
Dez Thomas: One season, no games
Jack Johnson: Arrives this fall

I stand corrected. GU’s Danny Lauter’s only career start was v Laffy. I saw that game and he looked pretty good. I forgot Knoop is now at Stony Brook.

Holy Cross’ only QB with any college playing time has 2 career starts (Lehigh and Fordham last year).

caribbeanhen
April 29th, 2024, 08:17 PM
The fact that special players like Sluka bolt for FBS now, doesn’t bode well for FCS level fan interest

how many Holy Cross games while I try to watch this year? None

bonarae
April 29th, 2024, 09:02 PM
Will that open the door for Lafayette and Fordham to get the autobid this season? xchinscratchx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 29th, 2024, 10:14 PM
Will that open the door for Lafayette and Fordham to get the autobid this season? xchinscratchx

Lafayette earned the auto-bid last year. The Leopards will be the favorite again heading into the season. Fordham absolutely has the personnel to win the league. Can their coach lead them to such a level?

Can the PL get an at-large bid in 2024? I think it's possible but not probable. HC and Colgate are going to have their work cut out for themselves in the OOC.

Wolffan
April 30th, 2024, 04:49 AM
The fact that special players like Sluka bolt for FBS now, doesn’t bode well for FCS level fan interest

how many Holy Cross games while I try to watch this year? None
“Bolt”? To be fair, he spent four great undergraduate years playing football at Holy Cross, is graduating in May with a Holy Cross degree, and heading off for a fifth (Covid) year in FCS.
But your point that Sluka’s graduation means Holy Cross is now without one of the the most exciting player in all of FCS is certainly true. Certainly may be less eyeballs tuning in this year. STATS/AP 1st Team All American Jalen Coker’s graduation (UFDA Carolina Panthers) is a double blow to the HC offense.

NY Crusader 2010
April 30th, 2024, 07:53 AM
Lafayette earned the auto-bid last year. The Leopards will be the favorite again heading into the season. Fordham absolutely has the personnel to win the league. Can their coach lead them to such a level?

Can the PL get an at-large bid in 2024? I think it's possible but not probable. HC and Colgate are going to have their work cut out for themselves in the OOC.

Lafayette has best shot IMO, especially if they can beat Buffalo and Monmouth both on the road in back to back weeks to start the season.

Fordham also has Bowling Green, Dartmouth and Monmouth all on the road, so they have opportunity to score some at-large points. Whether they have what it takes to win all those games remains to be seen.