PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Quarterfinal: #7 Furman @ #2 Montana

Pages : 1 [2]

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 09:34 PM
Furman can't get anything going on offense...

According to Jay the cold is affecting Furmans pass game. 🙄

Bisonoline
WTF is the matter with Furmans punter?

Karl Havoc
is it me or could Furman QB run for yards on some of these plays? I have seen wide open lanes and instead he throws bad passes

There’s yards to be had through the air and on the ground… and he’s not taking either of them.

paladinpride
December 8th, 2023, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I don’t think he realizes how cold it can get in Greenville. 29 is going to be the low on Monday and it already got as low as 22 a couple weeks ago.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 09:36 PM
WTF is the matter with Furmans punter?

He's Montana's best player tonight

- - - Updated - - -

First turnover! 'Dins NEED to punch this in.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Serious miscommunication on the INT! Can the Paladins take advantage?

Bisonoline
is it me or could Furman QB run for yards on some of these plays? I have seen wide open lanes and instead he throws bad passes

Yep.

SeattleCat
December 8th, 2023, 09:37 PM
Furman's Defense at its finest... Mcdowell threw it right to him, absolute garbage pass.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 09:39 PM
TD Furman! What a huge momentum change!

SeattleCat
December 8th, 2023, 09:41 PM
This is trouble for the griz, they're not a second half team.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 09:42 PM
lets see how witty furman DC is...a zone blitz or two on pasding downs could really confuse mcdowell

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 09:44 PM
The way Montana's defense has been playing a FG here might win it.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 09:47 PM
The way Montana's defense has been playing a FG here might win it.

true, but tis will come down to coaching.. If Furman can protect - and their qb can make the throw- a double move could hit for a big play.

POD Knows
Outside of two big plays, Montana's defense is dominating Furman’s offense, period.
I didn’t say anything about the Montana D but their offensive line is getting pushed around BAD.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Furman's front 7 is excellent...

The Montana schools need to recruit FG kickers....

SeattleCat
December 8th, 2023, 09:48 PM

It's tough when you lose your all conference kicker to UCLA.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 09:50 PM
everyone thinking same thing "how log will Montana go before they hit a big one" but we have been thinking it for a while now..

SeattleCat
December 8th, 2023, 09:51 PM
big dirty hit by Furman, late and targeting at its best.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2023, 09:52 PM

Yep. It cost MSU the game and it is a big factor in this game, at least from the placekicker position.

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 09:52 PM
Jay Walker said Furman came thinking they could win. That's some deep analysis Jay.

FUwolfpacker
December 8th, 2023, 09:53 PM
End of the 3rd quarter. Pretty good game. Not pretty but fun!

POD Knows
December 8th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Montana o line continuing to get bitch slapped.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 09:55 PM
does furman not have a short passing game? wtf! thats what this calls for

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 09:55 PM
Just keep running Huff now, that's Furman's best offense

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 09:58 PM
PI? I don't know about that one....

SeattleCat
December 8th, 2023, 09:59 PM
PI? I don't know about that one....
looked more like offensive pi

putter
December 8th, 2023, 10:39 PM
Montana’s so line is killing the team. Furman sits back and waits for the play. Very disciplined

POD Knows
December 8th, 2023, 10:43 PM
Wow. Nice drop.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 10:43 PM
not sure the actual stats but I am more impressed with Furman D than Montana bc of field position. Furman has had poor FP almost the whole game while The Grizz seem to be starting on their own 40 every time...I dont mean that Furmans D is better but what they have accomplished so far has been- Montana D is legit and on top of it is defending much longer fields..

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 10:44 PM
I can't believe he dropped that...wow...

- - - Updated - - -

not sure the actual stats but I am more impressed with Furman D than Montana bc of field position. Furman has had poor FP almost the whole game while The Grizz seem to be starting on their own 40 every time...I dont mean that Furmans D is better but what they have accomplished so far has been- Montana D is legit and on top of it is defending much longer fields..

Very true! Furman is once again backed up....

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 10:46 PM
What a play call on 1st down backed up at your own goal line. It was there too but Huff continues to be off.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2023, 10:46 PM
These defenses came to play.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 10:48 PM
Griz punt return for a TD! Wow! Special teams!!

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 10:48 PM
That might be it, I don't know that Furman can put together a TD drive.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 10:49 PM
this actually may be Furmans best chance to get offense going - in terms of maybe gettig "some" field pos on this kick return..

atthewbon
December 8th, 2023, 10:51 PM
What a strange game

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2023, 10:51 PM
Furman finally get a good punt then they **** the bed on the return.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 10:52 PM
I have no idea what Walker is talking about. Between the cold and acting like there's a lack of diversity in Montana; especially Billings which is a city with a presence....

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 10:53 PM
Furman finally get a good punt then they **** the bed on the return.

He should've kept shanking 'em

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2023, 10:53 PM
I have no idea what Walker is talking about. Between the cold and acting like there's a lack of diversity in Montana; especially Billings which is a city with a presence....

Hes an idiot.

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 10:54 PM
Why do both teams keep trying to run outside over and over with no success? And yes Jay Walker should be fired immediately.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 10:55 PM
That will be reviewed...

or not.....

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 10:56 PM
Wow I thought he was short.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2023, 10:56 PM
Have to review that 4th down spot. Replay official fail.

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Got a gift but will they take advantage? Seems unlikely.

Christiank22
Montana has not looked impressive at all tonight, just saying

Christiank22
Also Huff is horrible man. I feel bad for Furman fans. They could be insane with a half decent Qb

atthewbon
December 8th, 2023, 10:58 PM
Huff is getting away with some bad throws

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 10:58 PM
Montana's defense is very good but Furman's execution on offense has been painful at times. They've had some chances but can't put the pieces together....

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 10:59 PM
I would expect montana to be aggressive here and put it away. I know with how their D is some may say why- but seems they will try get something up the seam or on a crosser-- should be there IF they can protect..Seems it is has these types of games go...

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Neither team has looked that great. Furmans QB is questionable.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:00 PM
Also Huff is horrible man. I feel bad for Furman fans. They could be insane with a half decent Qb

Yeah I didn't want to single anyone out but a lot of the execution issues do relate to QB play...

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:00 PM

He is the SoCon Offensive player of the year? How bad was everyone else??

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:02 PM
Trust your QB Walker? How about trust your defense!! No way in hell do you throw it there...

Chalupa Batman
Furman should've called timeout after the 3rd down play

MUHAWKS
I would expect montana to be aggressive here and put it away. I know with how their D is some may say why- but seems they will try get something up the seam or on a crosser-- should be there IF they can protect..Seems it is has these types of games go...

I was clearly wrong but that is just weak IMO--

FUwolfpacker
He is playing with an injured throwing shoulder which can’t be helping. Montana has had a lot to do with the bad play but this is the worst he’s ever looked.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:05 PM
This announcer tandem basically equals a bad hype man and a carnival barker....

wapiti
December 8th, 2023, 11:06 PM

Is Marty one of them

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2023, 11:09 PM

You should hear Walker when hes working a HBCU game. Its brutal.

Christiank22
December 8th, 2023, 11:12 PM

That’s what I’m wondering? I can see the hype for their defense, but man this performance from Huff is one of the worst playoff Qb performances I’ve seen in recent years

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:13 PM
What a stupid play!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:13 PM
Furman has one last gasp....

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:14 PM
This thing isn't quite over yet! Any plays in bounds have to be for first downs to get that momentary clock stoppage

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:15 PM
He had him along the sidelines!

- - - Updated - - -

Clock it?!?! You don't waste a down there!

Christiank22
December 8th, 2023, 11:16 PM
I think he was a little early there

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:17 PM
That was a bad call

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:17 PM
Wow...here we go!

If Furman does score THE question will come up....

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 11:18 PM
Wow...here we go!

yes you go for two

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:18 PM
Wow...here we go!

The way their defense is playing and Montana's kicker has struggled no. Unless Furman's kicker isn't very good than maybe

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:20 PM
yes you go for two

No way. The Furman D is playing well.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2023, 11:20 PM
That was a bad call
Yeah, I'm not sure Jay Walker has ever seen a pass defensed that he didn't think was PI. Should've been a no call.

EDIT: Well there's the make up (no) call on the next play.

SteelSD
December 8th, 2023, 11:21 PM
Wow, make up no call

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:22 PM
They call the PI that wasn't and then don't call the hold that was.

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 11:23 PM
i know this sounds absolutely nuts but the way the grizz blitz they could prob pick up a 1st down and/or at worst get out of bounds on a quick toss sweep type play.. I know you "Cant" but there are zero defenders out there..

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:24 PM
Wow!!!!!

ElCid
December 8th, 2023, 11:25 PM
That was a bad call

No. Easy call.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:27 PM
Unreal. Huff has played bad all game but he showed his mental toughness on that last drive

atthewbon
December 8th, 2023, 11:27 PM
What a wild series of events. Great catch by the TE

ElCid
December 8th, 2023, 11:28 PM
Amazing finish.

Christiank22
December 8th, 2023, 11:29 PM
Idk who has the advantage on the field not gonna lie. Furmans Defense is legit and the only time they’ve done anything on offense is when they’re within the 30…

SteelSD
December 8th, 2023, 11:29 PM
Huff throws better while being drug to the ground

MUHAWKS
December 8th, 2023, 11:31 PM
Fanduel sucks- I bet Furman intragame money like + 790 +450 and no cashout available.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2023, 11:32 PM
Furman false start on the 2pt try saved their bacon. Didn't make much sense to go for the win with how good the Furman defense is playing and how inconsistent the Furman offense has been.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:32 PM
Griz trying to figure out a way to make Furman kick it to Bergen in OT

Laker
December 8th, 2023, 11:35 PM
If you went to bed early or were watching some rerun on another channel instead of this game you really missed out.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:36 PM
TD Griz! Nice strike!

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:37 PM
Furman keeps running that play and it gets stuffed again.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:38 PM
I don't get those two play calls....

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:39 PM
Could have gotten a lot shorter 4th down if he ran.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2023, 11:40 PM
Furman NEEDED that catch on 3rd down

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2023, 11:40 PM
Congrats Griz! Furman put up a helluva fight but the better team won imo...

Bison56
December 8th, 2023, 11:41 PM
Terrible play calling by Furman.

kdinva
December 8th, 2023, 11:43 PM

.....and the Griz seemed athletic enough tonight, fine ballgame.....still can't fathom furman losing to Wofford......

apaladin
December 8th, 2023, 11:47 PM
Have to agree. Hate all the sideline passes too. What success they had was in the middle.

putter
December 8th, 2023, 11:49 PM
Hauck said they did not make adjustments at the half. Why not? Furman’s front 4 is legit and allows the rest to make plays. Better watch some film and see if there are any O-Lineman in the portal for next week. Congrats to the Paladins, hell of a team

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2023, 11:52 PM
Hats off to the Dins. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, this one could have easily gone the other way.

FUwolfpacker
December 8th, 2023, 11:56 PM
Congrats to Montana! They played a heckuva game on defense and so did Furman. That's the worse Huff has ever looked and Montana had a lot to do with that. Bergan and the DT were even better than advertised. I know many of us wished Huff didn't make his comment, but felt like the outrage over it was a bit extreme and I doubt that defense could have played much harder than they do week in and week out from what I've seen all year. Either way, he said what he said and Montana's front showed out.

A weird game for sure. Counting OT, Montana's offense scored 22 points (3 TDs and the 2 point conversion) and Furman's scored 28. Furman's special teams have been so good all year, and they were abysmal tonight. Again Bergan and the special teams had a lot to do with that, but our punter had one of the worst games he's ever had as well. Was proud of our D. Thought we belonged on that side of the ball. Didn't look that way on offense tonight, but Montana is really good and I know we're pretty banged up at QB and RB so who knows. Most people probably don't watch us in depth but the offense just never really good clicking all year. Something was always just a little bit off. Cost us tonight.

Good luck to the Griz the rest of the way! Really wish I could have made it up to Montana. As an FCS fan, I always love watching games there. A special place to be sure!

Good season for my 'Dins. Super gritty team and was proud of how they hung in there all year.

OrangeAndBlack
December 8th, 2023, 11:58 PM
I was hoping Furman would pull that one out for FUBear...

Special Teams coaching nonexistent allowing 2 kick return TD's, and the punting average was near season low.

Furman D was amazing, but Montana D deserves big praise for 2 eye poppers: Huff was 16/47! 31 incompletions!? 34% completion rate when his season low was 55%. Also Montana forcing 12 punts when Furman's season high was 8.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 9th, 2023, 12:00 AM
Hats off to Furman, that was a helluva game. I was yelling and on the edge of the couch all night. That was a good defensive game on both sides, big plays kept it close for both sides. Congrats Furman on a great season, nothing to hang your heads about.

dewey
December 9th, 2023, 12:01 AM
Really, really good game. That Furman defense is really dang good.

Go Grizzlies!

Go Bison!

Dewey

Catbooster
December 9th, 2023, 12:04 AM
Great game - great defenses

Silenoz
December 9th, 2023, 12:21 AM
Jeez that was nerve wracking, but an instant classic.

Told every FU fan and parent I saw on the way out that that was one of the best teams we've ever hosted in the playoffs.

2wagriz
December 9th, 2023, 12:34 AM
FUbear as i said before, id welcome you on any field. You guys brought it. I left impressed. Sucks a team has to lose in that fashion but i wouldve been here either way as youre a good poster. Congrats on a good season

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 01:03 AM
Furman is now 3-4 vs the Big Sky in playoffs. So basically even. That includes tonight’s OT game.

I hope we quit hearing about the Big Sky is great and SoCon sucks.

These teams were even. Two great returns - awesome plays on a kickoff and punt return was the reason the Grizzlies won. Fair and square.

Two AMAZING defenses. AMAZING. I do wish Furman had their all conference running back. We aren’t the same without him - Roberto. without Roberto and with Huff hurt we barely beat winless Wofford. We were close to that team tonight. No Roberto and a gimpy Huff. Wish he coulda run more. You saw when he got that hole he was gone. When healthy Huff clocked out as top ten fastest IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL (not just FCS).

Anyway great game

Great win!

And please don’t buy that propaganda about Huff talking junk. He Won the Armed Services Award. Total class act. He has never done anything like that. 2nd lieutenant. That trash talking doesn’t track…

Good win

No one should smack the SoCon AT ALL. Hell Vegas had Furman from 15-18 point underdogs. Instead we traveled to Montana and went to Overtime. Again found that Furman is 3-4 versus Big Sky in playoffs. Pretty even stuff

Great game

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 01:06 AM
Thinking back

Montana over Delaware BY THIRTY

Montana over Montana State BY THIRTY

Montana vs SoCon Furman won by 7 in Overtime.

Yep. Good job SoCon

Great win Montana !!!

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 01:12 AM
Hats off to Furman, that was a helluva game. I was yelling and on the edge of the couch all night. That was a good defensive game on both sides, big plays kept it close for both sides. Congrats Furman on a great season, nothing to hang your heads about.

class post. Good stuff

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2023, 01:38 AM
Thinking back

Montana over Delaware BY THIRTY

Montana over Montana State BY THIRTY

Montana vs SoCon Furman won by 7 in Overtime.

Yep. Good job SoCon

Great win Montana !!!

Not even close. The Furman defense was phenomenal.

Kept screaming at the TV... "Stop running the damn ball". Our guys got nothing all night. Over and over. Far and away the best defense these Grizzlies have faced all year.

Kudos for a great game! Far too competitive for my preference.

Tell FUBear it was the cold, the loud, and the Grizzly defense that cost the Paladins this game. If only every game was played in Key West! But no.

It was the Grizzly defense's penalty which was Furman's best passing game. Kept the outcome uncertain right up to the end. Furple did well. Just not good enough

2wagriz
December 9th, 2023, 01:56 AM
Umm. SoCon, yes, you guys suck. Furman as a stand alone, i can buy. You lose in OT and want me to believe that Chattanooga is going to beat MSU, Idaho? No.
Sorry, you guys were good. Youre conference is still weak.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2023, 02:03 AM
Umm. SoCon, yes, you guys suck. Furman as a stand alone, i can buy. You lose in OT and want me to believe that Chattanooga is going to beat MSU, Idaho? No.
Sorry, you guys were good. Youre conference is still weak.
Let's keep this gracious. Just my 2 cents.

CrunchGriz
December 9th, 2023, 02:03 AM
I think Junior Bergen just made it on some all American teams. I am sure as hell glad he’s on our team.

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 03:38 AM

Exactly. CMON. It’s easy to be gracious when winning. Harder when losing.

Let’s Be classy like Silenoz here !!! Nice post by Silenoz

I watched us play the SoCon. Wofford - a ONE WIN SOCON TEAM - beat us. We beat a healthy UTC 17-14 to win the conference.

It was a tough road. Heck we beat ETSU who fired their coach 16 - 8. We moved the ball better tonight than vs Wofford and ETSU.

One thing is in the SoCon you play every team EVERY year. So we all know how to scheme to stop and play the other teams. Many conferences don’t do that if they have too many teams to play every team every year. That was Delaware I think. They avoided some of the best CAA. I would have far rather played a CAA than Montana. I think Furman beats the CAA easily. We did last year. We beat Elon 31 - 6.

Someone needs to reevaluate the CAA as below the SoCon. Seriously

Sitting Bull
December 9th, 2023, 06:51 AM
I watched us play the SoCon. Wofford - a ONE WIN SOCON TEAM - beat us. We beat a healthy UTC 17-14 to win the conference.

There are 7 teams left standing as of now. The CAA has two, the So Con is done. The narrative doesn’t work.

Good job though by Furman though. Excellent team. It seems you lose a lot on defense next year?

Looking forward to your visit to Willliamsburg next year.

Chalupa Batman
December 9th, 2023, 07:06 AM
Hats off to both teams.

Paladin fans should be proud of their team and I know they are. Sucks to see Huff have an off night in this game, there were opportunities to be had. Reminds me of Cam Millers performance against Incarnate Word last year except Furman had to throw the ball more than we did in that game so the inaccuracy is really magnified. But when he needed to put a drive together at the end of regulation he was able to dig deep and get it done.

Congrats to the Griz on a tough win, survive & advance. Remember how everybody thought SDSU was vulnerable after the Holy Cross game last year, I got the same kind of feeling about this Griz team bouncing back next week.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 07:37 AM
I think Junior Bergen just made it on some all American teams. I am sure as hell glad he’s on our team.

Ironically, Furman got beat by some Southern speed

take away Juniors two spectacular returns and Montana gets beat, but congratulations to the Montana coaches for having game changing speed on the roster as it made the difference.

Not surprised really with how well the Furman Defense played. I watched them totally dominate Elon last year and even though they lost the next game to Incarnate Words incredible offense, you could see athletic players everywhere. Despite that, I was a little surprised at how Valley and Big Sky fans apparently didn’t see it. Maybe they did but just didn’t want to admit it to keep FuBeaR busy

Anyway, that was a great playoff game to watch. Montana games really shine a positive light on FCS football

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2023, 07:47 AM
....IN DEFENSE UH JAY.....GOTTAH FILL AIR TIME......ANYONE WHO TALKS ALOT....WILL EVENTUALLY...SAY SUMPIN' DUMB......WOOD YA'S RATHER HEAR....'BOUT MRS. WALKER'S.....CANDIED YAM PIE?...AWK!

ps....AN' SOME ON HERE....WANTED TA HANG TRESOLINI!

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 07:50 AM
Hats off to both teams.

Paladin fans should be proud of their team and I know they are. Sucks to see Huff have an off night in this game, there were opportunities to be had. Reminds me of Cam Millers performance against Incarnate Word last year except Furman had to throw the ball more than we did in that game so the inaccuracy is really magnified. But when he needed to put a drive together at the end of regulation he was able to dig deep and get it done.

Congrats to the Griz on a tough win, survive & advance. Remember how everybody thought SDSU was vulnerable after the Holy Cross game last year, I got the same kind of feeling about this Griz team bouncing back next week.

No

Sluka was the X factor for Holy Cross, he’s just that good.

The Montana Defense is really good, Huff off because of the Montana defense

Incarnate Word was good, Miller off because of the athletes on IW Defense… I really believe this is the reason players appear to be off

If Montana bounces back next week, it’s more about Furman being better than whoever their playing

Chalupa Batman
December 9th, 2023, 07:59 AM
No

Sluka was the X factor for Holy Cross, he’s just that good.

The Montana Defense is really good, Huff off because of the Montana defense

Incarnate Word was good, Miller off because of the athletes on IW Defense… I really believe this is the reason players appear to be off

If Montana bounces back next week, it’s more about Furman being better than whoever their playing

I don’t disagree about Holy Cross being that good, but the general thought among most was about how bad SDSU looked and not how good HC was. Probably gonna be a lot of that same thinking with Montana this week.

Huff & Miller both missed open throws that they normally make. Defenses can play well AND get fortunate breaks when the other team misfires.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 08:33 AM
....IN DEFENSE UH JAY.....GOTTAH FILL AIR TIME......ANYONE WHO TALKS ALOT....WILL EVENTUALLY...SAY SUMPIN' DUMB......WOOD YA'S RATHER HEAR....'BOUT MRS. WALKER'S.....CANDIED YAM PIE?...AWK!

ps....AN' SOME ON HERE....WANTED TA HANG TRESOLINI!

besides the complainers could just mute the sound if they didn’t wanna hear

PaladinNation
December 9th, 2023, 09:39 AM
There are 7 teams left standing as of now. The CAA has two, the So Con is done. The narrative doesn’t work.

Good job though by Furman though. Excellent team. It seems you lose a lot on defense next year?

Looking forward to your visit to Willliamsburg next year.

We lose some good ones, but the coaches feel that this year's scout team is the best they've had.
Several players on defense could come back or go portal. We have two very athletic linebackers who redshirted.

The wildcard is this upcoming recruiting class. On paper the best Furman hopefully signs in years. There is a strong chance you could see an incoming freshman starting for the DINS when they pay a visit.

semobison
December 9th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Exactly. CMON. It’s easy to be gracious when winning. Harder when losing.

Let’s Be classy like Silenoz here !!! Nice post by Silenoz

It was a tough road. Heck we beat ETSU who fired their coach 16 - 8. We moved the ball better tonight than vs Wofford and ETSU.

One thing is in the SoCon you play every team EVERY year. So we all know how to scheme to stop and play the other teams. Many conferences don’t do that if they have too many teams to play every team every year. That was Delaware I think. They avoided some of the best CAA. I would have far rather played a CAA than Montana. I think Furman beats the CAA easily. We did last year. We beat Elon 31 - 6.

Being gracious, great effort by Furman! Their defensive front 7 is legit.

Being factual, the SoCon still hasn’t had a team make the semi’s since Georgia Southern in 2012!

Being opinionated, MVFC>Big Sky!

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2023, 10:07 AM
I don’t disagree about Holy Cross being that good, but the general thought among most was about how bad SDSU looked and not how good HC was. Probably gonna be a lot of that same thinking with Montana this week.

Huff & Miller both missed open throws that they normally make. Defenses can play well AND get fortunate breaks when the other team misfires.

Last night both QB's and both offenses were having 'off nights' if you want to call it that.

Furman's Huff was 16 / 47 (34% completions), 1 Int & 1 TD. 11 carries for 71 yards & 1 TD.
Montana's McDowell 17 / 31 (54%), 1 Int & 1 TD. 21 carries for 118 yards & 1 TD.

Furman compiled only 23 yards on the ground outside of Huff.
Montana only 30 yards on the ground outside of McDowell's.

The "misfires" each QB had wasn't somebody having a bad day, their performance, and their offense's, were flat out due to Furman's defense and Montana's defense both playing spectacular games. Furman gave up two special team touchdowns. Montana gave up two huge busted plays in the first quarter (70 yard TD pass, and Huff's 53 yard TD run). Otherwise you have a phenomenal defensive effort by both teams.

I'm sure both fan bases were frustrated with their team looking 'off'. Montana certainly could be vulnerable. Every team can be. Yet that may be the best run defenses I've ever observed. We'll see if NDSU or So. Dakota can match it.

Redbird 4th & short
December 9th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Great game and finish obviously. Furman defense has to be legit going on rode from Greenville, SC to Missoula, MT and playing in 32 degree weather. Impressive Furman performance against a strong Montana offense.

Agree on keeping it classy, but 2wagriz was responding to gofurman hyping Socon over Big Sky after their OT loss .. it's one game and classy is a 2 way street.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2023, 10:14 AM
Last night both QB's and both offenses were having 'off nights' if you want to call it that.

Furman's Huff was 16 / 47 (34% completions), 1 Int & 1 TD. 11 carries for 71 yards & 1 TD.
Montana's McDowell 17 / 31 (54%), 1 Int & 1 TD. 21 carries for 118 yards & 1 TD.

The "misfires" each QB had wasn't somebody having a bad day, their performance, and their offense's, were flat out due to Furman's defense and Montana's defense both playing spectacular games. Furman gave up two special team touchdowns. Montana gave up two huge busted plays in the first quarter (70 yard TD pass, and Huff's 53 yard TD run). Otherwise you have a phenomenal defensive effort by both teams.

I'm sure both fan bases were frustrated with their team looking 'off'. Montana certainly could be vulnerable. Every team can be. Yet that may be the best run defenses I've every observed. We'll see if NDSU or So. Dakota can match it.
I can tell you right now that the NDSU run defense will not match Montana's or Furman's and I would trade the entire front 7 of NDSU for both Furman's and Montana's any day of the week. It was an odd game, both D's played lights out but there was still a lot of points, even without the special teams stuff. It was literally two plays for Furman and a short field on an interception and then a bunch of stupid asses penalties by Montana at the end of the game.

Anyway, great game to watch, truth be told I had Montana in a boat race here, I was completely off base.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2023, 10:28 AM

I'm sure both fan bases were frustrated with their team looking 'off'. Montana certainly could be vulnerable. Every team can be. Yet that may be the best run defenses I've ever observed. We'll see if NDSU or So. Dakota can match it.

Totally agree with you here and thanks for putting my scrambled thoughts into words

PaladinNation
December 9th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Loved every minute of being a Furman fan in Grizzly Stadium.
Fantastic fans, impressed by how Griz fans support their team.
Also, good luck Griz the rest of the way - this DIN will be pulling for you.

Onward, Furman's HC much like Montana's HC hates losing. This was a great measuring stick to see how Furman matches up on the positive side and the negative side.
Furman came into the season with a loaded Running Back stable. Furman came into last night's game with two running backs out with blown knees, one with a hamstring injury, and another with a hernia. No excuses, not sure any of those players if they had played Furman would have faired better.

It's reload time for the Dins. The cupboard isn't bare but we will be young at some critical positions.

putter
December 9th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Have to laugh, Furman and Montana fans going at it all week and now Montana fans defending Furman on social media. NDSU and SDSU fans bashing the Griz because they needed 2 ST scores to win. Giving no credit to that Furman D.

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2023, 12:01 PM
What an unreal game.

Felt like the Griz didn't play their best, but holy crap that Furman defense was insane.

Huff is a freaking gamer. That's the type of guy you want leading your team.

Congrats, Furman. You guys have one hell of a team.

FU_Paladin08
December 9th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Please don’t take any of this as excuses or complaining, simply my thoughts on the game. This was the first time many saw Furman play. Maybe you understand what us Furman fans have been talking about all season when trying to justify the #2 ranking. But make no mistake about it, the better team won. I sure hope this is the beginning of more competitive playoff games involving more than just the Valley teams and the Big Sky champ. I also hope the Eastern teams can start to crack those top seeds so we can share in the fun of hosting quarter and semi final games.

Don’t be shocked about that lackluster offense, we saw it all season. Critics pointed to Furman not blowing out teams all season, and used that to unjustly push them down the rankings. You can see how Furman continued to win: the defense sets the tone, the offense scores about 20something points, and Furman wins. Furman finally ran into a team where they needed to score more points and couldn’t. It’s unfortunate because I certainly believe Furman has a championship defense this year that was hampered by poor special teams and an offense that ran out of steam. I hate it for those boys that their football careers are over.

Both offenses saw the best defense they’ll face this year. After all the talk about travel, crowd noise, and weather, it was each defense that was the most disruptive force.
Huff’s numbers were not good, however the Furman offense did score more touchdowns and more points than the Griz offense. Make what you will of that.

Special teams were the difference with the awful punting and the two returns for TDs. I guess that’s how it’s supposed to be when teams are so evenly matched on offense and defense.

This deserved to be a semifinal game, but Furman losing to Wofford ruined that.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Enjoyed watching the game last night & co-organizing the Atlanta Area Furman Alumni/Football Watch Party.

FUBeAR wishes he could have been in Missoula, but that wasn’t in the cards. In lieu of that, getting together with a group of Paladin Teammates / Brothers (and sisters/spouses), several of whom played in the 2001 Natl Championship game, was extremely rewarding.

Nothing, other than the outcome, not to love about that game. 2 truly excellent Football Teams, both certainly among the Top 8 in FCS, probably Top 4, maybe even Top 2 (we’ll see), going hard every play, from the opening whistle to the final second…and then more. Environment was fantastic, weather was fine. It was all about the Football, as it should be.

Really proud of these young men from Furman. Been fortunate enough to be on the sidelines with them for several games each year and in the locker room post-game on a number of occasions, as well as interact with some of them at our Annual FFPA Golf Event. They LOVE to play Football and they LOVE each other. Seems that some folks were able to, last night, get a sense of what FUBeAR has seen of this group. So that’s good to know that outsiders notice something special about them - because they are. It’s just different and means more when a core group of young men play together for 3, 4, or even 7 years. They are truly a Team; not a collection of this year’s Players. They remind FUBeAR of the 5 Furman Championship Teams he played on/Coached…and that’s just really special. FUBeAR looks forward to welcoming the ones who are done into Lifetime Membership in the Furman Football Alumni Fraternity. We know they will be great additions to that TEAM.

Montana proved last night that they can compete on an equal footing with the SoCon’s best and Furman proved that they can compete on an equal footing with the Big Sky’s best. Anyone, as a fan of either Team, or of either Conference, or of any other Team or Conference, making any assertions to the contrary, can just **** straight off. FUBeAR ain’t hearin’ it.

Congrats to Montana on the Quarterfinal victory! Well done. The Griz earned the win.

Let’s go Griz! FUBeAR is an ALL-IN Montana Fan the rest of the way!!

ADDENDUM: FUBeAR’s friend, Monte Dutton, Student Mgr for FUBeAR’s Teams, who became Furman’s SID, then on to a highly-decorated career as a Sports Journalist covering mostly NASCAR, and is now a famous Author wrote a little niece about Furman Football this morning. The first part reminded FUBeAR of some of the things he said here, so here’s a link.

https://wellpilgrim.wordpress.com/2023/12/09/great-things-come-to-an-end/

You might enjoy. Monte writes MILES better than FUBeAR.

JSUSoutherner
December 9th, 2023, 01:55 PM
One and done.

A SoCon specialty.
A prophecy fulfilled.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2023, 02:08 PM
NOTE: According to what ESPN showed at the end of the Villanova/South Dakota State game, next week's semifinal dates/times/broadcast stations are set:

*North Dakota State/South Dakota winner at Montana - Saturday 12/16 at 4:30 PM ET (2:30 PM MT), ESPN2

*Albany/Idaho winner at South Dakota State - Friday 12/15 at 7:00 PM ET (6:00 PM CT), ESPN

ESPN didn't say this, but I suspect both games will also be on ESPN+.

I may be off on the time for the SDSU semifinal, but it appears the game dates and broadcast networks shown above are set.

ysubigred
December 9th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Great game!! Two seriously defensive minded teams' fun to watch!!

Wondering "IF" #6 was the O-player of the year what in the hell did the rest of the league look like? Arm strength of a 3rd grade girl!

Also what in the hell did FU teach in special teams?? special needs??

Sir William
December 9th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Congrats to the Griz on a great win, and to both Furman and Montana for a great game! Instant classic! Losing a game like that is hard to swallow, but wow, what a game.

From here on out in the semis and (hopefully) natty, this dyed-in-the-wool, purple-blooded Paladin will be wearing the Maroon and Silver. Go Griz!!

tallgeorgiagent
December 9th, 2023, 03:58 PM
.....and the Griz seemed athletic enough tonight, fine ballgame.....still can't fathom furman losing to Wofford......

They played with a backup QB. If you didn’t get out in front of Wofford at Spartanburg, they could make it an ugly game and hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinNation
December 9th, 2023, 04:31 PM
Great game!! Two seriously defensive minded teams' fun to watch!!

Wondering "IF" #6 was the O-player of the year what in the hell did the rest of the league look like? Arm strength of a 3rd grade girl!

Also what in the hell did FU teach in special teams?? special needs??

Huff suffered a separated shoulder in the First Chatty matchup. I'm still not sure that's accurate though. I wonder if he didn't get hurt against Western????
Hendrix said he was about 70 percent, there were certain throws he couldn't make. Dude is a warrior!

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 09:11 PM

Man CMON. You to know he’s hurt all to hell. Why do you think we held him out of
Wofford conceding home field advantage (!) just to buy an extra week of rest for him. Good grief. I watched him for two years. Never lost a SoCon game. EVER. he isn’t 70%.

And then the other top player we held out and cost us home field as we lost to woffford (Roberto) ran TWO. TWO plays last night. BOTH FOR TOUCHDOWNS. SMASHED THE MONTANA DL and literally walked into endzone. If either is 100% we probably win. They saved us vs so many teams. Roberto KILLED a strong western Carolina

All that said props to Montana on the win !!!

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 09:13 PM
They played with a backup QB. If you didn’t get out in front of Wofford at Spartanburg, they could make it an ugly game and hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCon baby. Wofford running backs got far more yards than could Montana !!!

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Also. Yes special teams hurt. I just give great credit to Montana there. NO. ONE had returned a kick or punt All EFFING YEAR. So that’s credit to Montana. Teams WAY better than Montana couldn’t do that. Who you ask ? The university of South Carolina in SEC! They couldn’t do that

But Montana has a big problem there too. We can hit 40-50 yard FGs all day. What the heck with a kicker who can’t kick it long enough for a 42 yarder. Is he really D1. ? LOL

The FG UNIT Is certainly special teams and Montana has a big problem if that’s normal. Hear me - IF that’s normal. Maybe that was an aberration.

hear me. Maybe that was an anomaly. Hope it was.

good luck Griz !!!

and Go Away JSUSoutherner. The poulan weed eater hanes underwear bowl awaits you !

gofurman
December 9th, 2023, 09:42 PM
A prophecy fulfilled.

don’t we all love these guys who have no vested interest - ARE NOT EVEN FCS ANYMORE - waiting
to throw shade any time they can

keeping it classy JSU !!! (It’s not a good look). Do like Hooty Hoo and just fade into
the night

apaladin
December 10th, 2023, 12:36 AM
The guy that kicks off for FU rarely gets a kick returned. He puts it in the end zone 90% of the time. Last week against Chattanooga one of his kickoffs went thru the goal post which would have been good for a fg, so to see him kick it short was a rarity, certainly ended up costing FU. In regards to Huff he was not close to 100%. In 2 seasons the only FCS games he lost was this years and last years playoff games. FWIW he begins active military duty on Jan. 8.Agree with everyone else it was a great game between 2 fine teams.

gofurman
December 10th, 2023, 09:53 PM
The guy that kicks off for FU rarely gets a kick returned. He puts it in the end zone 90% of the time. Last week against Chattanooga one of his kickoffs went thru the goal post which would have been good for a fg, so to see him kick it short was a rarity, certainly ended up costing FU. In regards to Huff he was not close to 100%. In 2 seasons the only FCS games he lost was this years and last years playoff games. FWIW he begins active military duty on Jan. 8.Agree with everyone else it was a great game between 2 fine teams.

yes. Talking to someone who knows - a player - Huff wasn’t 75%. Also our kicker is top in SoCon at NOT allowing kickoff returns. Almost all kickoffs are DEEP in end zone. I too saw the one through kicked to or through the goal post. He is crazy good. Also we ran Roberto TWICE and BOTH TIMES WENT FOR SHORT TOUCHDOWNS. That’s a SICK STAT. SICK. TWO RUNS. TWO TOUCHDOWNS. in a game where neither team could run for a yard hardly. Ya think having Roberto woulda helped? I mean Montana KNEW he was getting the ball.. and yet - he alone scored more touchdowns than the entire Montana offense in regulation!

all that said I wish the Griz the best as many of their fans were so positive saying ‘Furman / SoCon were really impressive

sounds like great fans and a great area of the country. I have always wanted to ski BIG SKY !

good luck Griz

MTGRIZ
December 11th, 2023, 11:19 AM
Also. Yes special teams hurt. I just give great credit to Montana there. NO. ONE had returned a kick or punt All EFFING YEAR. So that’s credit to Montana. Teams WAY better than Montana couldn’t do that. Who you ask ? The university of South Carolina in SEC! They couldn’t do that

But Montana has a big problem there too. We can hit 40-50 yard FGs all day. What the heck with a kicker who can’t kick it long enough for a 42 yarder. Is he really D1. ? LOL

The FG UNIT Is certainly special teams and Montana has a big problem if that’s normal. Hear me - IF that’s normal. Maybe that was an aberration.

hear me. Maybe that was an anomaly. Hope it was.

good luck Griz !!!

and Go Away JSUSoutherner. The poulan weed eater hanes underwear bowl awaits you !

Those were the first 2 he had missed all year, his long for the year is 43 yarder

Silenoz
December 11th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Yeah, not sure what happened to Ramos. Feel like the first one his body language was off because of the movement (offsides?), which affected the timing.

Not sure what the deal with the second one was, except maybe the first one got in his head.

I was sitting in the NW clamshell so I had a perfect view of both teams on both plays.

SteelSD
December 11th, 2023, 12:01 PM
yes. Talking to someone who knows - a player - Huff wasn’t 75%. Also our kicker is top in SoCon at NOT allowing kickoff returns. Almost all kickoffs are DEEP in end zone. I too saw the one through kicked to or through the goal post. He is crazy good. Also we ran Roberto TWICE and BOTH TIMES WENT FOR SHORT TOUCHDOWNS. That’s a SICK STAT. SICK. TWO RUNS. TWO TOUCHDOWNS. in a game where neither team could run for a yard hardly. Ya think having Roberto woulda helped? I mean Montana KNEW he was getting the ball.. and yet - he alone scored more touchdowns than the entire Montana offense in regulation!

all that said I wish the Griz the best as many of their fans were so positive saying ‘Furman / SoCon were really impressive

sounds like great fans and a great area of the country. I have always wanted to ski BIG SKY !

good luck Griz
People just need to really stop with this. No one will disagree that based on this one game Furman looked like they belonged with the best of the Big Sky. But that single point of reference gives no indication whatsoever that the SoCon as a whole is anything. Using a single game example, Mercer was easily the worst team SDSU faced all year outside of Drake and the DII opponent. So does that mean the non-Furman teams would be at best the 9th place MVFC team? The one game sample says so.

So I think we can all agree that Furman was a top 8 team and deserved their seed. But that certainly doesn't say that the SoCon as a whole is anywhere near the Big Sky or MVFC. So congrats to Furman on a heck of a good season. The rest of the SoCon has some serious work to do.

gofurman
December 12th, 2023, 10:37 AM
People just need to really stop with this. No one will disagree that based on this one game Furman looked like they belonged with the best of the Big Sky. But that single point of reference gives no indication whatsoever that the SoCon as a whole is anything. Using a single game example, Mercer was easily the worst team SDSU faced all year outside of Drake and the DII opponent. So does that mean the non-Furman teams would be at best the 9th place MVFC team? The one game sample says so.

So I think we can all agree that Furman was a top 8 team and deserved their seed. But that certainly doesn't say that the SoCon as a whole is anywhere near the Big Sky or MVFC. So congrats to Furman on a heck of a good season. The rest of the SoCon has some serious work to do.

I am pretty objective here... Mercer did beat Gardner Webb and UTC beat a 9-game-win-streak and heavily favored (9 points? or so) Austin Peay at Austin Peay.

I wlll say in order I think it was Furman (who did win the conference) then UTC (who did lose to Furman - TWICE - but beat Mercer) and then Mercer. I don't disagree that some in the conference have more to prove but Furman did very very well (coulda easily been in the semifinals) and UTC was quite good. Mercer was good (I mean they won their first round game) and WCU was quite good but lost key players who are now getting P5 offers.

It was a weird year.. definitely some bottom feeders. But interesting that WOFFORD (about the worst in the conference!!) got more yards out of their running backs than did Montana. They also got 19 points from their O and D while Montana got only 13 from their O and D.

Everyone has these aberrations. Any given Saturday I guess :) xnodx :D

SteelSD
December 12th, 2023, 11:40 AM
I am pretty objective here... Mercer did beat Gardner Webb and UTC beat a 9-game-win-streak and heavily favored (9 points? or so) Austin Peay at Austin Peay.

I wlll say in order I think it was Furman (who did win the conference) then UTC (who did lose to Furman - TWICE - but beat Mercer) and then Mercer. I don't disagree that some in the conference have more to prove but Furman did very very well (coulda easily been in the semifinals) and UTC was quite good. Mercer was good (I mean they won their first round game) and WCU was quite good but lost key players who are now getting P5 offers.

It was a weird year.. definitely some bottom feeders. But interesting that WOFFORD (about the worst in the conference!!) got more yards out of their running backs than did Montana. They also got 19 points from their O and D while Montana got only 13 from their O and D.

Everyone has these aberrations. Any given Saturday I guess :) xnodx :D
Are you really? Not sure what much of your post is trying to say. If you want me to say the SoCon is better than the OVC-Big South and UAC based off the results then sure, I'll give you that. But you and a number of SoCon homers seem to be of the opinion that Furman giving a Montana a good game equals the SoCon being as good a conference as the MVFC and Big Sky. And as for the CAA the FU contingent seems to want to keep going back to last year and again use a single game example to justify the opinions about this year. CAA has a final 4 team, the SoCon doesn't. That seems to speak for itself.

SoCon baby. Wofford running backs got far more yards than could Montana !!!

GLIAC baby. Ferris State running backs got far more yards than could Furman !!!

Now, I'm not entirely sure WTH that has to do with anything. Seems to me FU relies pretty heavily on their QB running as well.