View Full Version : Robert Morris (Back) To NEC

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2023, 01:39 PM
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1729584731019198734

Original_RMC
November 28th, 2023, 01:41 PM
https://northeastconference.org/news/2023/11/27/FB_RMU_AssociateMember_23.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Great News. RMU will be able to compete Year 1 within the NEC for the title and FCS playoff bid.

UNHWildcat18
November 28th, 2023, 01:42 PM
That's excellent for RMU and the NECFB conference.

Mocs123
November 28th, 2023, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure how this impacts the Big South, which always seems to be on the precipice of not having enough teams for the autobid, but the NEC makes MUCH more sense for Bob Morris than the Big South did.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2023, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure how this impacts the Big South, which always seems to be on the precipice of not having enough teams for the autobid, but the NEC makes MUCH more sense for Bob Morris than the Big South did.
The Big South already didn't have enough Teams for the AutoBid. That's why we have the Big South OVC Football Alliance. It was 10 Teams. Now it's 9...actually 8 because Bryant is leaving....right? The Big South only had 4 (6 is req'd) when Campbell and NC A&T went CAA.

Big South Teams that are part of Big South OVC Football Alliance - Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, Bryant, Robert Morris....

So...the 'new' Big South OVC Football Alliance (hopefully soon with a shorter name) will (perhaps) be these 8 Teams...

Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
UT-Martin
SEMO
E. Illinois
Tennessee State
Lindenwood
Tennessee Tech

JacksFan40
November 28th, 2023, 03:19 PM
The Big South already didn't have enough Teams for the AutoBid. That's why we have the Big South OVC Football Alliance. It was 10 Teams. Now it's 9...actually 8 because Bryant is leaving....right? The Big South only had 4 (6 is req'd) when Campbell and NC A&T went CAA.

Big South Teams that are part of Big South OVC Football Alliance - Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, Bryant, Robert Morris....

So...the 'new' Big South OVC Football Alliance (hopefully soon with a shorter name) will (perhaps) be these 8 Teams...

Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
UT-Martin
SEMO
E. Illinois
Tennessee State
Lindenwood
Tennessee Tech
Western Illinois is joining the OVC so it'd be 9 members.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2023, 03:27 PM
There ya go....

https://youtu.be/w9QLX6BEqMY?feature=shared

dbackjon
November 28th, 2023, 03:32 PM
So I guess the NEC got over the butthurt...

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2023, 04:20 PM

I'd imagine the OVC/Big South will be moving to an 8-game conference schedule where everyone plays everyone else every year.

JacksFan40
November 28th, 2023, 04:36 PM
I'd imagine the OVC/Big South will be moving to an 8-game conference schedule where everyone plays everyone else every year.
I'd just shut down Big South football and invite Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb as OVC associate members for football. Unless the Big South plans on expanding soon, no reason to keep it alive.

smilo
November 28th, 2023, 07:25 PM
I guess Sacred Heart and Merrimack may be welcomed back too? Big South makes zero sense now.

Libertine
November 28th, 2023, 08:24 PM
I'd just shut down Big South football

This part is inevitable. What about the NEC taking in the last two castaways on Big South Island as affiliates? That would be hilarious.

Although the way things are going with the CAA, G-W and CSU might be considered as replacements for Delaware.

NY Crusader 2010
November 28th, 2023, 08:27 PM
This part is inevitable. What about the NEC taking in the last two castaways on Big South Island as affiliates? That would be hilarious.

Although the way things are going with the CAA, G-W and CSU might be considered as replacements for Delaware.

My guess is that Albany is the most obvious replacement. Albany is still in the America East for all other sports.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 28th, 2023, 08:33 PM
Noreen ran out of replacement options.

How embarrassing for her and the conference. RMU got the best of both worlds. They upgraded hoops and now can keep football in the NEC.

Well played, Colonials.

Libertine
November 28th, 2023, 08:51 PM
My guess is that Albany is the most obvious replacement. Albany is still in the America East for all other sports.

Albany is already in the CAA for football though.

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2023, 09:10 PM
I'd just shut down Big South football and invite Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb as OVC associate members for football. Unless the Big South plans on expanding soon, no reason to keep it alive.

Yeah, might as well.

Laker
November 28th, 2023, 09:11 PM
I guess Sacred Heart and Merrimack may be welcomed back too? Big South makes zero sense now.

What are they going to do? The NEC didn't list them today as football members, and the last news I saw was that they don't know what they will do next year. They must have some clue besides dropping the sport.

MRuler
November 29th, 2023, 08:54 AM

Albany will NEVER go back to the NEC! They are in a very good situation in the CAA or CAA North or the "new" AE Football conference. The work very well with UNH, SBU, Rhody etc.

Original_RMC
December 1st, 2023, 08:25 AM
None of the former NEC schools that have continued to grow will ever come back to the NEC, Albany, SBU and Monmouth.
I think you could add Bryant to that list as well.

It will be interesting to see how the NEC handles Merrimack and SHU.

NY Crusader 2010
December 1st, 2023, 11:06 AM
Albany will NEVER go back to the NEC! They are in a very good situation in the CAA or CAA North or the "new" AE Football conference. The work very well with UNH, SBU, Rhody etc.

I was talking about Albany to the CAA, not the NEC.

I can't think of a current DI program that would line up to join the NEC in all sports right now.

WestCoastAggie
December 1st, 2023, 11:08 AM

I can't think of a current DI program that would line up to join the NEC in all sports right now.

Let me introduce you to Chicago State, although they want MEAC Membership.

smilo
December 1st, 2023, 12:12 PM

Delaware State if the cards fall wrong. And UMES would probably have to beg if they even want to stay D1.

WestCoastAggie
December 1st, 2023, 02:38 PM
Delaware State if the cards fall wrong. And UMES would probably have to beg if they even want to stay D1.

They were really close back in 2021. However, I don't think DSU, Howard, or anyone else leave. That is, until Chicago State is approved.

NY Crusader 2010
December 1st, 2023, 06:07 PM
Let me introduce you to Chicago State, although they want MEAC Membership.

True. That may happen. Once you get past that, best all-sports options for the NEC are either one or several out of New Haven, Bentley and/or St. Anselm. Yikes.

With regards to DSU, I hope the MEAC manages to survive. I think it will.