PDA

View Full Version : Delaware to CUSA

Pages : 1 2 [3]

caribbeanhen
April 8th, 2024, 11:59 AM
I don't study academic rankings at all, nor do I care that much. While they might gerrymander the acceptance rate, Northeastern I'm fairly certain has indeed grown tremendously in the rankings and as far as average scores needed to get in. When I was in college, Northeastern absolutely would've been a safety school for Holy Cross. Today, I believe it's more competitive to get into Northeastern as an undergrad than HC.

One tactic some schools use is to intentionally send mailings out to students who are unlikely to get in. Typically, it's the opposite -- prospective applicants get majority of mail and postcards from schools that have SAT ranges below your score on record (I think it's the junior year PSAT they base this off of -- I may be dating myself). But, when I was a junior in HS the majority of mail I got was from places like McDaniel, Goucher College, Sacred Heart, Rutgers, UConn, St. Joe's (PA) and The College of New Jersey. I wasn't getting solicited via mail from the like of Georgetown, Amherst or Middlebury. I've heard some of the middle-of-the road private schools are sending mail to kids whose SAT ranges fall in a lower profile, to entice them to apply. If the kid doesn't get in, the school still benefits from the application fee and the lower acceptance rate, which factors into all the fugazi rankings that everyone drools over.

impressive !

The only mail I remember from my junior year was around Christmas time when the Sears & Roebuck catalog showed up

caribbeanhen
April 25th, 2024, 02:34 PM
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3511542/derek-dooley-is-apparently-pitching-group-of-five-schools-on-their-own-playoff-on-behalf-of-private-equity-firms

Delaware move up to FBS / CUSA really is a move up to the old 1AA

What is now FCS is the new D2

I know many have already said it but the future is getting clearer, the rain is gone and it’s gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

Sitting Bull
April 25th, 2024, 07:59 PM
I guess that’s one way to spin it but it seems G5 programs are going to be forced to play in their own yard, not exactly the “land of the big boys” that most of the move-ups were looking for. There’s even some talk of G5 moving to Spring football / but with that, maybe ESPN won’t be forcing you to play on weeknights. It just sounds like one more embarrassment for UD to me.

As far as FCS, no one’s losing D1 status just because G5 programs try to justify some delineation which remains razor thin.

NDSU1980
April 26th, 2024, 11:14 AM
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3511542/derek-dooley-is-apparently-pitching-group-of-five-schools-on-their-own-playoff-on-behalf-of-private-equity-firms

Delaware move up to FBS / CUSA really is a move up to the old 1AA

What is now FCS is the new D2

I know many have already said it but the future is getting clearer, the rain is gone and it’s gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day
Exactly, and yet some people have their heads in the sand when it comes to fact that it's now D2. You're genuinely lucky to have leadership and fans at Delaware that realize CUSA is better than dying on the vine in FCS.

In fact, FCS with it's non scholly teams actually has a branch that is closer to D3. I've really learned to taper my enthusiasm about FCS playoffs due to blowouts that inevitably happen in the first round.

Sitting Bull
April 26th, 2024, 12:52 PM
Exactly, and yet some people have their heads in the sand when it comes to fact that it's now D2.

It sounds to me like G5 just got demoted to D2.

Not sure who actually has their head in the sand. This news was not some upgrade for G5.

In reality, FCS is untouched by this and will remain D1. It’s based on scholarships but more important, the schools with national followings and prestige are located in P4 (or whatever it is now) and FCS.

G5 has neither and is just no man’s land.

KPSUL
April 27th, 2024, 09:20 AM

Not sure who actually has their head in the sand. This news was not some upgrade for G5.

In reality, FCS is untouched by this and will remain D1. It’s based on scholarships but more important, the schools with national followings and prestige are located in P4 (or whatever it is now) and FCS.

Exactly! Most of the schools playing in the bottom conferences of G5 (and CUSA is the bottom-most) mistakenly think it is enhancing their national reputation. (LOL)

caribbeanhen
April 27th, 2024, 09:43 AM
Some of you might find this page entertaining

http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?t=30493&start=45

unknown-swac
April 27th, 2024, 09:54 AM

And they're still in a better position than FCS. If they weren't, everyone that can wouldn't be choosing the G5 over FCS. Notice you dont see anyone even remotely attempting to come back.

Sitting Bull
April 27th, 2024, 10:33 AM
Exactly, and yet some people have their heads in the sand when it comes to fact that it's now D2. You're genuinely lucky to have leadership and fans at Delaware that realize CUSA is better than dying on the vine in FCS.

In fact, FCS with it's non scholly teams actually has a branch that is closer to D3. I've really learned to taper my enthusiasm about FCS playoffs due to blowouts that inevitably happen in the first round.

And they're still in a better position than FCS. If they weren't, everyone that can wouldn't be choosing the G5 over FCS. Notice you dont see anyone even remotely attempting to come back.

Idaho did - others might follow depending on how long they can continue to bleed money in a rotten economy. Plus others in FCS have not bothered to jump but certainly could have (Montana as example).

But you miss the point of this latest news. What’s the incentive to join G5 now if your whole strategy was/is to be on par with the major programs? Now you’re not - there’s only a draw if you want to “elevate” to the Ball States and Troys of the world - while throwing the rest of your programs into total chaos (see Delaware).

NDSU1980
April 27th, 2024, 12:28 PM
And they're still in a better position than FCS. If they weren't, everyone that can wouldn't be choosing the G5 over FCS. Notice you dont see anyone even remotely attempting to come back.Spot on, any FBS conference is still better than FCS.

Outside of Idaho no one now is thinking about dropping down, and Idaho didn't have much choice. They really didn't seem to have the commitment to stay FBS.

caribbeanhen
April 27th, 2024, 04:27 PM
The president of UD is telling everyone a big part of this move has to do with the coming battle between all of these colleges trying to get a dwindling number of potential students into their classrooms and the population is moving south…. Mr Chicken was all over it

William Lafferty, vice chair of the board, asked about the financial impact of moving the Athletics program to Conference USA in fall 2025. Assanis said the costs — which will start in the FY2026 budget — are being covered through philanthropic donations. In the long run, the move will financially benefit UD by providing a more prominent platform to promote academic programs, research and admissions opportunities, especially in geographic areas with growing populations.

The Boogie Down
April 28th, 2024, 02:01 AM
The president of UD is telling everyone a big part of this move has to do with the coming battle between all of these colleges trying to get a dwindling number of potential students into their classrooms and the population is moving south…. Mr Chicken was all over it

William Lafferty, vice chair of the board, asked about the financial impact of moving the Athletics program to Conference USA in fall 2025. Assanis said the costs — which will start in the FY2026 budget — are being covered through philanthropic donations. In the long run, the move will financially benefit UD by providing a more prominent platform to promote academic programs, research and admissions opportunities, especially in geographic areas with growing populations.

The "growing populations" part explains why C-USA was picked over midweek MACtion.

caribbeanhen
April 28th, 2024, 02:31 PM
Caribbean Hen (http://www.gohens.net/boards/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=47) wrote: ↑ (http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=442091#p442091)Yes, Dooley is probably not the guy that going to seal some type of G5 playoff but put me down for wanting a G5 playoff sooner then later

Cranky go hens poster
A G5 post-season tournament would have to involve a limited number of schools (2-3 weeks in length at most), guarantee profit for the participants, and garner sufficient eyes via ticket sales and media coverage. Otherwise, what's the point? Also, for Pete's sake, don't insult the public's intelligence by calling it a D-I championship.

Anything like the bloated, money-sucking, low-interest FCS tournament would make no sense at all for anyone involved.

Sitting Bull
April 28th, 2024, 02:48 PM
Caribbean Hen (http://www.gohens.net/boards/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=47) wrote: ↑ (http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=442091#p442091)Yes, Dooley is probably not the guy that going to seal some type of G5 playoff but put me down for wanting a G5 playoff sooner then later

Cranky go hens poster
A G5 post-season tournament would have to involve a limited number of schools (2-3 weeks in length at most), guarantee profit for the participants, and garner sufficient eyes via ticket sales and media coverage. Otherwise, what's the point? Also, for Pete's sake, don't insult the public's intelligence by calling it a D-I championship.

Anything like the bloated, money-sucking, low-interest FCS tournament would make no sense at all for anyone involved.

It sounds like a G5 playoff or the larger money sucking, more low interest G5 bowl schedule. Crappy choice.

UD fans on GoHens spend all their time now bashing FCS and the CAA. It’s obviously a defensive position to make them feel better as I think deep down they’re starting to see their administration made a horrible decision. You can’t even read the President’s rationale above from Carib without just shaking your head in disbelief that someone of that stature would even believe that.

DFW HOYA
April 28th, 2024, 04:04 PM
In the long run, the move will financially benefit UD by providing a more prominent platform to promote academic programs, research and admissions opportunities, especially in geographic areas with growing populations.

With the exception of FIU and (maybe) Kennesaw State, the "geographic areas with growing populations" of the C-USA are probably a tough sell for high school kinds considering Murfreesboro, Huntsville or Las Cruces to consider relocating to Newark, Delaware.

caribbeanhen
April 29th, 2024, 08:26 PM
With the exception of FIU and (maybe) Kennesaw State, the "geographic areas with growing populations" of the C-USA are probably a tough sell for high school kinds considering Murfreesboro, Huntsville or Las Cruces to consider relocating to Newark, Delaware.

No argument from me and actually those “mamas boys” from Miami won’t be in a big hurry to leave the sunshine state

Same could be said for the Atlanta suburbs and community college Kennesaw State

OhioHen
April 30th, 2024, 06:23 AM
A better approach probably would have been to target stagnant population areas that young people are looking to leave for greener pastures. Sounds a lot like the MAC footprint to me.

MR. CHICKEN
April 30th, 2024, 07:38 AM
.......WE'LL BE ON ESPN......SEEN ACROSS DUH COUNTRY.....IT'S NOT JES'.....THOSE C-USA CITIES......THINK BIG LADS......WE'RE NOT.......GONNA BE....SQUIRRELED AWAY ON FLO.......AWK!

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-usa/3706726/ (https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/delaware-conference-usa/3706726/)

“With ESPN and ESPN plus and the opportunities that joining conference USA provides to us, I mean its 40 times the number of viewers now for football and for basketball," Rawak said.

caribbeanhen
April 30th, 2024, 08:58 AM
.......WE'LL BE ON ESPN......SEEN ACROSS DUH COUNTRY.....IT'S NOT JES'.....THOSE C-USA CITIES......THINK BIG LADS......WE'RE NOT.......GONNA BE....SQUIRRELED AWAY ON FLO.......AWK!

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-usa/3706726/ (https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/delaware-conference-usa/3706726/)

“With ESPN and ESPN plus and the opportunities that joining conference USA provides to us, I mean it’s yep, that’s pretty much sums it up40 times the number of viewers now for football and for basketball," Rawak said.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up

With ESPN and ESPN plus and the opportunities that joining conference US provides to us, I mean its 40 times the number of viewers now for football and for basketball," Rawak said

Henny
April 30th, 2024, 04:54 PM
Some of these comments are laughable. Most Delaware fans know this move is a long term decision. The move is a no brainer and Cusa was the only FBS conference that would take UD. For now…….

The Boogie Down
April 30th, 2024, 05:22 PM
Some of these comments are laughable. Most Delaware fans know this move is a long term decision. The move is a no brainer and Cusa was the only FBS conference that would take UD. For now…….

I agree on some of the comments being laughable. Mostly sour grapes from those stuck on the sinking ship which is CAA 2.0 I guess. Not sure about the C-USA being the only FBS willing to take UD tho. Just from internet stuff I've read it seems like UD could have gone to the MAC but picked C-USA instead.

Sitting Bull
April 30th, 2024, 06:45 PM
I agree on some of the comments being laughable. Mostly sour grapes from those stuck on the sinking ship which is CAA 2.0 I guess. Not sure about the C-USA being the only FBS willing to take UD tho. Just from internet stuff I've read it seems like UD could have gone to the MAC but picked C-USA instead.

There’s no sour grapes from my perspective - more shock at the rationale put out by the UD Prez and AD. That along with new list of conference mates are what’s laughable. I’ve always admired UD but I think this administration has set them up for failure for a once proud program.

The sour grapes from your comment seem to be coming from a PL school and conference that keep getting their butts kicked by CAA opponents.

caribbeanhen
April 30th, 2024, 07:13 PM

Trust me when I say you can trust EF Henny ….

caribbeanhen
April 30th, 2024, 07:17 PM
There’s no sour grapes from my perspective - more shock at the rationale put out by the UD Prez and AD. That along with new list of conference mates are what’s laughable. I’ve always admired UD but I think this administration has set them up for failure for a once proud program.

The sour grapes from your comment seem to be coming from a PL school and conference that keep getting their butts kicked by CAA opponents.

I hear you Sitting Bull but times change and Mrs Rawak has her eye on bigger places than CUSA. Read what Henny said again

taper
April 30th, 2024, 11:27 PM
Getting away from FloSports is worth pretty much anything.

NY Crusader 2010
May 1st, 2024, 05:54 AM
Getting away from FloSports is worth pretty much anything.

I hate that the CAA is on FloSports, as is AHA hockey where Holy Cross plays. I think the reason the CAA partnered with Flo is because ESPN is much stricter when it comes to allowing local cable networks to broadcast games to which it has streaming rights. This matters to the CAA, where there are teams in the Boston, NYC, Philly and Baltimore markets, and others. This isn't as much of an issue for the A-10, which has a national TV deal with USA Network, or the Patriot League, where most schools are located in the middle of nowhere. Holy Cross, of course, is in Worcester, the largest city in the country that isn't its own TV market.

I do love ESPN+ though. Great if you follow the NHL too.

Sitting Bull
May 1st, 2024, 07:05 AM
I hate that the CAA is on FloSports, as is AHA hockey where Holy Cross plays. I think the reason the CAA partnered with Flo is because ESPN is much stricter when it comes to allowing local cable networks to broadcast games to which it has streaming rights. This matters to the CAA, where there are teams in the Boston, NYC, Philly and Baltimore markets, and others. This isn't as much of an issue for the A-10, which has a national TV deal with USA Network, or the Patriot League, where most schools are located in the middle of nowhere. Holy Cross, of course, is in Worcester, the largest city in the country that isn't its own TV market.

I do love ESPN+ though. Great if you follow the NHL too.

Good point, NY Crusader. In NY, Stony Brook, Hofstra and Monmouth were on SNY frequently during the bbl season, far better than ESPN+. W&M utilizes Cox. That’s in addition to FLO. The CAA also had a very good schedule on CBSSN, about two games per week plus the semis and championship of the tournament.

There’s a trade off for ESPN. Yes, you get a bit more money but you also sacrifice control of your schedule. For CUSA teams, there is ESPN coverage but it forces teams to play on weeknights. That’s not for the benefit of students and fans.

Sitting Bull
May 10th, 2024, 11:57 AM
You would think Tresolini, one of the biggest gasbag proponents of moving to CUSA along with GoHens cheerleader, Blowindope, would have surely understood this is part of what you bargained for.

http://www.gohens.net/boards/download/file.php?id=1278

OhioHen
May 13th, 2024, 09:48 AM
You would think Tresolini, one of the biggest gasbag proponents of moving to CUSA along with GoHens cheerleader, Blowindope, would have surely understood this is part of what you bargained for.

http://www.gohens.net/boards/download/file.php?id=1278
One benefit - weeks that the Hens are on the road, the whole weekend is available to enjoy the beautiful weather rather than watching television (or whatever you want to call FloSports).

Sitting Bull
May 13th, 2024, 10:20 AM
One benefit - weeks that the Hens are on the road, the whole weekend is available to enjoy the beautiful weather rather than watching television (or whatever you want to call FloSports).

True - but in the CAA, hen fans weren’t shy about enjoying the weekend road trips. Seen it first hand in Williamsburg. I don’t think road trips for most of the fans are an option in CUSA.

Go...gate
May 21st, 2024, 08:38 PM
Delaware just announced that it is joining the Atlantic 10 for Men's Lacrosse.

NY Crusader 2010
May 22nd, 2024, 03:30 AM
Delaware just announced that it is joining the Atlantic 10 for Lacrosse.

Wonder if they'll end up trading places with UMASS in lax or if the A-10 will let the Minutemen stay for that sport. UMass was a CAA lacrosse affiliate prior to the A-10 launching the sport 3 or 4 years ago.

Steve81
May 22nd, 2024, 10:37 AM
UMass applied for both MLAX and WRowing. The MLAX and UDEL were both accepted.