PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 1: Drake @ North Dakota State

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2023, 12:21 PM
Games kicks off on Saturday 11/25 at 2:30PM CT and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner goes to #6 Montana State.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53344696631_e3670e7859_b.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2023, 12:34 PM
Blowout by halftime

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2023, 12:39 PM
This is essentially a bye for the Bison assuming they don’t trip over themselves.

Honestly it could be seen as preferable to a bye because it should be over by halftime, and they won’t have to worry about any rust from the bye.

Bison win something along the lines of 45-7

semobison
November 19th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Do we really need to do this? Drake lost by 48 to UND, 63 to SDSU and their other loss was to an NAIA team! The Pioneer and their autobid just waters down the field.

POD Knows
November 19th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Games kicks off on Saturday 11/25 at 2:30PM CT. Winner goes to #6 Montana State. I'll post a matchup comparison tomorrow when the rest of the polls come out.

xlolx Is that really necessary, I see that Drake gave up more points on average than they scored.

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2023, 12:52 PM
This is an embarrassing blowout win for the Bison . It will highlight why the division is a screwed up mess and rife with unfair playoff format, rewarding teams who have no business being in the playoffs while screwing other far deserving teams.

SeattleCat
November 19th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Blowout by halftime

blowout by the first quarter. see you in Bozeman.

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Blowout by halftime

Blowout by the time the first quarter ends. Sagarin has NDSU favored by 42 points.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2023, 01:02 PM
This is an embarrassing blowout win for the Bison . It will highlight why the division is a screwed up mess and rife with unfair playoff format, rewarding teams who have no business being in the playoffs while screwing other far deserving teams.

Our head coach is a wussy when it comes to putting the foot on an opponent's neck and keeping it there. Bison will get up by multiple scores then he'll put in the 2nds/3rds and play super soft prevent defense and then Drake will carve up the defense and make this game closer than it should be. Bank on it!

- - - Updated - - -

Blowout by the time the first quarter ends. Sagarin has NDSU favored by 42 points.

Ill take Drake and the points. Entz will play that worthless soft prevent defense and Drake will look like world beaters when the subs come in.

taper
November 19th, 2023, 01:11 PM
In one of the stranger historical facts, Drake is actually 2-1 all time against NDSU. One of the very few teams with a winning record.

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2023, 01:13 PM
[/B]

xlolx Is that really necessary, I see that Drake gave up more points on average than they scored.

BTW, POD. Got your comment and I agree. The Dayton rule has to go. Too many teams little more than glorified D-IIs. This division is a mess and totally unfair to those who practice being real FCS programs.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Checking the box score of this game
https://media.tenor.com/6SuVTOwY9qwAAAAC/peow7-judge-judy.gif

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2023, 01:19 PM
BTW, POD. Got your comment and I agree. The Dayton rule has to go. Too many teams little more than glorified D-IIs. This division is a mess and totally unfair to those who practice being real FCS programs.
Was a dumb rule to begin with. Dayton won two D3 titles in the 80s and that was considered unfair? So they forced the Pioneer teams up to D1 in the name of parity, just for UW-Whitewater, Mount Union, and now North Central to win like 25 of the last 30 titles or some ridiculous number.

St. Thomas has proven that the Pioneer isn’t even great by D3 standards. Only team who would’ve won anything in D3 were those San Diego teams of years past.

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Why not give the backups some game time? Plus, people would be complaining if starters get hurt in the 2nd half if Bison were up by 35 points.

Our head coach is a wussy when it comes to putting the foot on an opponent's neck and keeping it there. Bison will get up by multiple scores then he'll put in the 2nds/3rds and play super soft prevent defense and then Drake will carve up the defense and make this game closer than it should be. Bank on it!

- - - Updated - - -

Ill take Drake and the points. Entz will play that worthless soft prevent defense and Drake will look like world beaters when the subs come in.

grizband
November 19th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Massey predicts a 44-3 victory for the Bison.

dewey
November 19th, 2023, 02:59 PM
In one of the stranger historical facts, Drake is actually 2-1 all time against NDSU. One of the very few teams with a winning record.

Well it will be 2-2 after next weekend. I think NDSU wins 56-6 or something like that. Over by halftime.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2023, 04:38 PM
Why not give the backups some game time? Plus, people would be complaining if starters get hurt in the 2nd half if Bison were up by 35 points.

Backups have had plenty of game time this year. It is the playoffs, win or go home.

SeattleCat
November 19th, 2023, 04:52 PM
Massey predicts a 44-3 victory for the Bison.

I'd say double the score and that seems about right.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2023, 05:02 PM
I'd say double the score and that seems about right.

If this were a boxing match it wouldn't be sanctioned

Preferred Walk-On
November 19th, 2023, 05:34 PM
Here's another question. What will the attendance be for this game?

While I appreciate the "bye", given that NDSU should have been seeded, I have almost no interest in this game. Was actually a bummed it was not a different matchup, even if it were potentially going to be a more difficult matchup.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2023, 05:40 PM

While I appreciate the "bye", given that NDSU should have been seeded, I have almost no interest in this game. Was actually a bummed it was not a different matchup, even if it were potentially going to be a more difficult matchup.
6-8k I'd say.

On another note there may not be as many backups as would play in a regular season game since they have restrictions on how many players they can dress in the playoffs I believe.

POD Knows
November 19th, 2023, 05:51 PM

I am going and I think we will have 6 out of 7 in our group at the game. My excitement level for this game is not high but I haven’t missed a home game since I got season tickets in 2007 so I need to keep the streak alive.

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Mrs. Hammerhead and I are going since it will almost certainly be our last chance to see this year’s team at home.

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Drakes Passage ? Roughest seas in the world

Sir Francis Drake channel? A good place in the Caribbean to be

Drakes Folly?

ngineer
November 19th, 2023, 09:04 PM

1962: Drake 40-6
1955: Drake 28-6

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2023, 10:34 PM

.....IT'S ABOUT INCLUSION......DUH NCAA......WANTS ALL COMERS.......TA HAVE UH SHOT.....IN DUH DANCE......YA KNOW....."DUH TOTAL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE"......xsighx.....BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2023, 10:40 PM
6-8k I'd say.

On another note there may not be as many backups as would play in a regular season game since they have restrictions on how many players they can dress in the playoffs I believe.

.....DUH # 42.......RATTLES IN MAH NOGGIN'........BUT AH COOD BE WRONG......IT'S.....40 SUMPIN'........AH THINK........AWK!

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2023, 10:49 PM
1962: Drake 40-6
1955: Drake 28-6

The 1950s were not kind to the Bison

NY Crusader 2010
November 20th, 2023, 05:56 AM
Drake going to have to play like they did that day at Iowa State 4 or 5 years ago. They very nearly pulled off what would have probably been the biggest upset in college football history.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Drakes Passage ? Roughest seas in the world

Sir Francis Drake channel? A good place in the Caribbean to be

Drakes Folly?

Drake’s Cakes — for the hard-snacking fan!xnodx

Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Yodels, Coffee Cakes…

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2023, 09:06 AM
Drake going to have to play like they did that day at Iowa State 4 or 5 years ago. They very nearly pulled off what would have probably been the biggest upset in college football history.
Feel like that game doesn't get talked about enough. Drake went into a top 25 FBS team's house and only lost by 3. Drake was alright that year for a Pioneer team but not on the level of San Diego. I barely remember this sub talking about that game when it happened.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Matchup breakdown added to the first post of the thread - shockingly it's a bit of a mismatch.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 11:02 AM
MVFC getting gift first round games.

NDSU big

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2023, 01:27 PM

NDSU big
So you're saying that UND has a gift first round game as well? ;) I'm glad someone is.

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2023, 01:37 PM

NDSU big

Its getting harder and harder to find teams better than MVFC teams. 😁

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Its getting harder and harder to find teams better than MVFC teams. 

It is too bad that the MVFC teams ALL have home games. I wanted to test out FUBeAR's assertion that it has more to do with road games and teams losing on the road, not because they were the inferior team, but because they were on the road. Those MVFC ****ers decided to quash this "science" by bidding more, I guess. Therefore, we will unfortunately never know if the MVFC teams were truly better.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 02:02 PM
It is too bad that the MVFC teams ALL have home games. I wanted to test out FUBeAR's assertion that it has more to do with road games and teams losing on the road, not because they were the inferior team, but because they were on the road. Those MVFC ****ers decided to quash this "science" by bidding more, I guess. Therefore, we will unfortunately never know if the MVFC teams were truly better.
We should find out next week (assuming at least 3 of the 4 MVFC teams win this week since every MVFC but UND should be pretty heavily favored I'd think). ;)

wapiti
November 20th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Prediction:
Drake 10 NDSU 48

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2023, 02:03 PM

One of my fondest memories in a year we won a title we got sent to Montana for a playoff game. Place was full of drunks, profane, throwing things, real hostile environment. It snowed and was windy. Of course they expected to beat the Guins. Beat them on a late FG.

How sweet it is.

Karl Havoc
November 20th, 2023, 03:14 PM
NDSU is favored by 35.5.

UAalum72
November 20th, 2023, 03:56 PM
6-8k I'd say.

.....IT'S ABOUT INCLUSION......DUH NCAA......WANTS ALL COMERS.......TA HAVE UH SHOT.....IN DUH DANCE......YA KNOW....."DUH TOTAL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE"......xsighx.....BRAWK!I thought it had been about 56, but https://gamedayculture.com/how-many-college-football-players-travel/ says
In the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), teams are allowed to travel with 60 players for regular-season games and 65 players for playoff games.

I know some or most conferences limit travel squads to league games

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2023, 08:48 PM
Found a Drake shirt at a Kwik Trip....I'm ready! xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2023, 09:11 PM
I thought it had been about 56, but https://gamedayculture.com/how-many-college-football-players-travel/ says
In the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), teams are allowed to travel with 60 players for regular-season games and 65 players for playoff games.

I know some or most conferences limit travel squads to league games

AH STAND CORRECTED..xembarrassedx....THANKS FO' CHECKIN'..........AWQ!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2023, 06:53 AM
The 2 guys that have voted for Drake raise your hands....xrolleyesx

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2023, 09:10 PM
The 2 guys that have voted for Drake raise your hands....xrolleyesx

*raises hand*

Karl Havoc
November 25th, 2023, 02:53 AM
The spread is down to 31 which indicates smart bettors in Vegas have come in hard on Drake. Even if you think NDSU lays off the gas early to prepare Montana State, I still don’t understand how you confidently bet Drake. Look at the stats on the first page of this thread — despite playing one of the weakest schedules in D1 football Drake still doesn’t rank in the top 25 of many stats.

Maybe I’m a fool but I will be on NDSU -31.

dewey
November 25th, 2023, 07:55 AM
The spread is down to 31 which indicates smart bettors in Vegas have come in hard on Drake. Even if you think NDSU lays off the gas early to prepare Montana State, I still don’t understand how you confidently bet Drake. Look at the stats on the first page of this thread — despite playing one of the weakest schedules in D1 football Drake still doesn’t rank in the top 25 of many stats.

Maybe I’m a fool but I will be on NDSU -31.

If I were a betting man I would spend some money on NDSU covering the -31.

I am surprised it is only 31. Seems like easy money.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2023, 08:29 AM
I'd expect NDSU to cover. As much as Entz has put on the public facade that they're not upset about being unseeded I think the team will have a chip on their shoulder. My guess is they have the spread covered by halftime - depending on how much they shut things down in the 2nd half and whether Drake gets some garbage points could dictate a cheap spread beat for the Bulldogs. We'll see though - this NDSU team has had a tendency to be unpredictable this year.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2023, 10:00 AM
I'd expect NDSU to cover. As much as Entz has put on the public facade that they're not upset about being unseeded I think the team will have a chip on their shoulder. My guess is they have the spread covered by halftime - depending on how much they shut things down in the 2nd half and whether Drake gets some garbage points could dictate a cheap spread beat for the Bulldogs. We'll see though - this NDSU team has had a tendency to be unpredictable this year.

exactly why I don’t put money on these games

Karl Havoc
November 25th, 2023, 10:23 AM
Now it’s back to -39. I was able to bet it at -31 last night.

I’m a Bison fan for the day xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 02:12 PM

"Has had a tendency to be unpredictable this year" is a polite way to say we aren't any good. xlolx

SeattleCat
November 25th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Is this game over yet?

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Is this game over yet?

I think at one time I had a login for your Homer board....I should go start the Cats/Drake game thread

SeattleCat
November 25th, 2023, 02:26 PM
I think at one time I had a login for your Homer board....I should go start the Cats/Drake game thread
Too late, lakes already started a NDSU at MSU thread.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 02:28 PM
Too late, lakes already started a NDSU at MSU thread.

Screw that. I'm talking about the real thread.

SeattleCat
November 25th, 2023, 02:35 PM
um wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Screw that. I'm talking about the real thread.
we may need a real thread WTF dude.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 02:39 PM
The Bison suck. Who is even remotely shocked they've come out flat.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 25th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Take a photo of the scoreboard, Drake!

Hammerhead
November 25th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Bison were just playing rope a dope to start the game. 35 straight points by NDSU.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 04:12 PM
Bison were just playing rope a dope to start the game. 35 straight points by NDSU.

We'll keep telling ourselves that.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Miller is hobbling around. Why is he still in the game?

Bison56
November 25th, 2023, 04:27 PM
Miller is hobbling around. Why is he still in the game?

No idea, but I'm not surprised.

Christiank22
November 25th, 2023, 05:41 PM
We'll keep telling ourselves that.

I think he was right lol you don’t luck into a 63 point win

Born a Rabbit
November 25th, 2023, 05:57 PM
regardless what some Bison fans think, i am pretty sure MSU fans had all their fingers and toes crossed hoping for a Drake miracle today (even though anyone with even a tiny bit of brains understood Drake needed at least a dozen miracles to come out on top today). i am betting cat fans were very sad to see the bison coming to the cat box

someone would have to put a gun to my head to make me bet on this one, other than i bet it will be a very interesting and competitive game and probably a coin flip. if one team manages to get one or two more lucky bounces or bad calls in their favor, that will likely be the difference

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2023, 06:38 PM
This ties Montana's record for most lopsided playoff win (70-7 vs. Troy State, 1996 semis).

POD Knows
November 25th, 2023, 07:16 PM
This ties Montana's record for most lopsided playoff win (70-7 vs. Troy State, 1996 semis).
Damn it, I knew we should have tried to score at the end of the game.