PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Playoffs Round 1: Nicholls @ Southern Illinois

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Games kicks off on Saturday 11/25 at 2PM CT and will be streaming on ESPN+. Winner goes to #4 Idaho.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53345149495_a3801b99e5_b.jpg

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2023, 12:41 PM
I would assume SIU rolls in this one. Nicholls is not that good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2023, 12:45 PM
I would assume SIU rolls in this one. Nicholls is not that good.

This here.

SIU by 3+ scores.

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2023, 01:24 PM
SIU is the pick.

Show no mercy

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2023, 08:01 PM
This is another game I think is going to be closer than people think. SIU's defense is very good, but I don't think their offense is good enough to run away from many teams. Salukis win something like 21-13.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2023, 08:36 PM
This is another game I think is going to be closer than people think. SIU's defense is very good, but I don't think their offense is good enough to run away from many teams. Salukis win something like 21-13.

This, and the offense has had the wrong players injured.

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2023, 08:41 PM

You got the skill players to be really good, but the line play hasn't allowed them the chances to make plays.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2023, 09:02 PM
You got the skill players to be really good, but the line play hasn't allowed them the chances to make plays.

I don't know what the injury situation is up front but our o line has been exposed by the elite teams on our schedule - although our o line did outplay USD's and only a blown call on our last TD kept the game from OT

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Injuries had a lot to do with the loss to YSU. The Dawgs were missing both their best wide receiver (Cox) and their best running back (Elliot).

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2023, 10:51 PM
Go dawgs!

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 06:11 AM
Games kicks off on Saturday 11/25 at 2PM CT. Winner goes to #4 Idaho. I'll post a matchup comparison tomorrow when the rest of the polls come out.

Thank you for creating these polls. I know from experience that it takes time and effort to do so. But I do want to ask why you don't make the votes public? It is good to see how many people vote for each team, but it is also very interesting which people and which team/conference the voters "belong" to.

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Southern Illinois big. This year's Nicholls team would finish middle/bottom of pack in any normal Southland season. This was no normal season.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Thank you for creating these polls. I know from experience that it takes time and effort to do so. But I do want to ask why you don't make the votes public? It is good to see how many people vote for each team, but it is also very interesting which people and which team/conference the voters "belong" to.
I pumped the threads/polls out pretty quickly yesterday so left that make votes public box unchecked. I can see fewer people voting if votes are public since they don't want to be "outed" but it is interesting to see who's voting where like you said. I'll make them public for next week's game threads and see if they cause fewer people to vote or not. I can't change the ones for this week's games anymore.

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 09:58 AM
I pumped the threads/polls out pretty quickly yesterday so left that make votes public box unchecked. I can see fewer people voting if votes are public since they don't want to be "outed" but it is interesting to see who's voting where like you said. I'll make them public for next week's game threads and see if they cause fewer people to vote or not. I can't change the ones for this week's games anymore.

Fewer fans may be voting due to the fact some are gone until next season now that their teams are done. ? Hopefully, more will vote as the week goes on.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 10:49 AM
Matchup breakdown added to the first post of the thread.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 11:10 AM
Nicolls in the upset

wapiti
November 20th, 2023, 02:13 PM
I do not know much about either team. So I went with the Home team. Does a bigger bid mean you want the W more?

Nicholls 17 SL 20

Karl Havoc
November 20th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Early line on the game is SIU -15.5.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Early line on the game is SIU -15.5.

I'd take Nicholls with those points - our offense hasn't been up to snuff but our d can keep it close

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 04:27 PM
I'd take Nicholls with those points - our offense hasn't been up to snuff but our d can keep it close

https://www.southland.org/news/2023/11/20/nicholls-mcquaide-mcneeses-davey-southeasterns-dunlap-earn-final-southland-football-player-of-the-week.aspx

The Nicholls QB McQuaide was named the SLC offensive player of the week for this final week. Nicholls has a good rushing attack (but then, as a McNeese fan, our defense made every rushing attack world class), but Colonels running back Guggenheim is hard to bring down, and they do use him in the wildcat formation on occasion.

If Nicholls' defense were as good as a couple of years back, I would give them more of a chance, but it hasn't been consistent this year.

AmsterBison
November 20th, 2023, 05:38 PM

I can see that. SIU only scored 30 total points against the four MVFC playoff teams this season - and the game iss outside in late November which is usually good for defenses. That said, it looks like it might be perfect football weather this weekend.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2023, 06:21 PM
https://www.southland.org/news/2023/11/20/nicholls-mcquaide-mcneeses-davey-southeasterns-dunlap-earn-final-southland-football-player-of-the-week.aspx

The Nicholls QB McQuaide was named the SLC offensive player of the week for this final week. Nicholls has a good rushing attack (but then, as a McNeese fan, our defense made every rushing attack world class), but Colonels running back Guggenheim is hard to bring down, and they do use him in the wildcat formation on occasion.

If Nicholls' defense were as good as a couple of years back, I would give them more of a chance, but it hasn't been consistent this year.

I looked through the thread to see if he had been mentioned, fun player to watch and powerful

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 06:23 PM
I looked through the thread to see if he had been mentioned, fun player to watch and powerful

McNeese fan agrees, but is praying he has used up all his eligibility. ;-)

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2023, 06:28 PM
McNeese fan agrees, but is praying he has used up all his eligibility. ;-)

is he 24 years old ?

McCowboys
November 20th, 2023, 06:45 PM
is he 24 years old ?

He's listed as a junior on their roster, but it seems he's been playing for several years. xbangx

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 02:10 PM
SIU 7 Nichols 0.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 02:20 PM
SIU 14 Nichols 0.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Looks like our fans knew who to pick.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 02:42 PM
SIU 21 Nichols 0.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 03:54 PM
SIU 28 Nichols 0.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 04:06 PM
SIU 35 Nichols 0.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2023, 04:07 PM
SIU is dominating!

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 04:13 PM
SIU is dominating!

Ya think?

Don't mess with Valley teams.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 04:43 PM
The reserves are in.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 04:51 PM
SIU 35 Nichols 0.
Final.

Puddin Tane
November 25th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Just another reason to hate Nicholls. How they beat UIW, I’ll never know. Uiw was much better. Spit the bit at the wrong time.

a little surprised siu did ok on the ground..nicholls had a decent run defense, not much of a pass d.

im not gonna say “ oh, uiw woulda won…blah blah blah…but they were the best team in the slc, wish theyd a gotten a shot.

southland will be vastly improved next year.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2023, 10:23 PM
Just another reason to hate Nicholls. How they beat UIW, I’ll never know. Uiw was much better. Spit the bit at the wrong time.

a little surprised siu did ok on the ground..nicholls had a decent run defense, not much of a pass d.

im not gonna say “ oh, uiw woulda won…blah blah blah…but they were the best team in the slc, wish theyd a gotten a shot.

southland will be vastly improved next year.

#15 had at least three DPIs called on him

Puddin Tane
November 25th, 2023, 10:42 PM
Dang…only 4500 for a playoff game?

skinny_uncle
November 26th, 2023, 07:17 AM
Dang…only 4500 for a playoff game?

The students all went home for Thanksgiving. Makes a dent in the crowd. Happens every year.

POD Knows
November 26th, 2023, 09:31 AM

southland will be vastly improved next year.Dude, I watched that Nicholls IWU football game and it was a hot mess on both sides of the ball, I am surprised that SIU didn't drop 60 on Nicholls and IWU would not have fared any better. I watched a couple of the IWU games and they were barely passable and struggled with some pretty poor teams. The IWU team from last year would have pissed pounded the current team.

Puddin Tane
November 26th, 2023, 11:17 AM
Dude, I watched that Nicholls IWU football game and it was a hot mess on both sides of the ball, I am surprised that SIU didn't drop 60 on Nicholls and IWU would not have fared any better. I watched a couple of the IWU games and they were barely passable and struggled with some pretty poor teams. The IWU team from last year would have pissed pounded the current team.

Dude,
didnt say they would fare any better, said Id liked for them to have played.
We played Idaho, South Dakota, UIW and Nicholls. On those days of those games, Idaho was by far the best team. Followed in order by UIW, SD and Nicholls.

Puddin Tane
November 26th, 2023, 11:22 AM
The students all went home for Thanksgiving. Makes a dent in the crowd. Happens every year.

i forget some schools actually get their students inside the gates to see a game in person.