PDA

View Full Version : FBS Postseason Eligibility for FCS Teams

The Yo Show
November 18th, 2023, 09:52 AM
So, it seems like a strange title for an FCS forum, but I am hoping that I can glean from the wisdom of FCS fans on AGS to answer two questions I have. I was under the impression that FCS teams CANNOT play in FBS bowl games. Someone pointed out to me there was discussion of maybe letting an FCS team play an FBS team a few years ago when there weren't enough FBS teams with winning records for the number of bowls. I'm still skeptical of how an FCS team would be eligible in that scenario though... because I would think any of the good teams you may want to make an exception for is gonna be in the FCS playoffs anyway, but I digress. My two questions:

1. Can an FCS team ever be eligible for an FBS postseason bowl game?

2. On a separate note, with everything that happened with James Madison on its transition to FBS the last two years, what is the general consensus on allowing FCS teams transitioning to the FBS to be immediately FBS postseason eligible?

SeattleCat
November 18th, 2023, 10:37 AM
So, it seems like a strange title for an FCS forum, but I am hoping that I can glean from the wisdom of FCS fans on AGS to answer two questions I have. I was under the impression that FCS teams CANNOT play in FBS bowl games. Someone pointed out to me there was discussion of maybe letting an FCS team play an FBS team a few years ago when there weren't enough FBS teams with winning records for the number of bowls. I'm still skeptical of how an FCS team would be eligible in that scenario though... because I would think any of the good teams you may want to make an exception for is gonna be in the FCS playoffs anyway, but I digress. My two questions:

1. Can an FCS team ever be eligible for an FBS postseason bowl game?

2. On a separate note, with everything that happened with James Madison on its transition to FBS the last two years, what is the general consensus on allowing FCS teams transitioning to the FBS to be immediately FBS postseason eligible?

I believe the situation with your second question answers the first, they're not even going to let JMU play in a bowl game even though they're undefeated.

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2023, 11:02 AM
The NCAA denied the appeals of JMU and Tarleton State to participate in their respective postseasons. However, JMU will be the first man up this year if there end up being more bowl slots than bowl eligible FBS teams. After that, 6-6 teams with two FCS wins or 5-7 teams will be the next schools invited to fill open spots. Every 3 or 4 years, there end up being a couple of openings where this is the case. The other thing that hasn't happened in a long time is that a team that wins its conference is eligible to go to a bowl, even if below .500. Last time this happened was in 2004 or 2005 when North Texas won the Sun Belt at 5-7 overall. Very Patriot League-esque!

As far as FCS teams being invited to fill open bowl slots, I don't think this has ever been considered.

The supposed logic behind postseason probationary period for move-ups is to discourage programs from making ill-advised decisions to move up divisions, and to ensure schools are doing it for long-term reasons as opposed to short term. Makes sense in the case of moving up from DIII to DII or DII to DI/FCS. But there are already so many barriers to entry as far as going FCS to FBS, that I think the rule is a bit archaic for that particular situation. JMU has been gearing up for the move for a decade, and did their homework as far as making the move at the right time. In addition, you need a CONFERENCE INVITE to move up to FBS (unless you get a waiver like Liberty) so by default, schools can't make irrational decisions and just move up. But JMU knew the rule, it is what it is. They're not special.

JacksFan40
November 18th, 2023, 11:45 AM
The NCAA denied the appeals of JMU and Tarleton State to participate in their respective postseasons. However, JMU will be the first man up this year if there end up being more bowl slots than bowl eligible FBS teams. After that, 6-6 teams with two FCS wins or 5-7 teams will be the next schools invited to fill open spots. Every 3 or 4 years, there end up being a couple of openings where this is the case. The other thing that hasn't happened in a long time is that a team that wins its conference is eligible to go to a bowl, even if below .500. Last time this happened was in 2004 or 2005 when North Texas won the Sun Belt at 5-7 overall. Very Patriot League-esque!

As far as FCS teams being invited to fill open bowl slots, I don't think this has ever been considered.

The supposed logic behind postseason probationary period for move-ups is to discourage programs from making ill-advised decisions to move up divisions, and to ensure schools are doing it for long-term reasons as opposed to short term. Makes sense in the case of moving up from DIII to DII or DII to DI/FCS. But there are already so many barriers to entry as far as going FCS to FBS, that I think the rule is a bit archaic for that particular situation. JMU has been gearing up for the move for a decade, and did their homework as far as making the move at the right time. In addition, you need a CONFERENCE INVITE to move up to FBS (unless you get a waiver like Liberty) so by default, schools can't make irrational decisions and just move up. But JMU knew the rule, it is what it is. They're not special.
Jacksonville State also had their application for bowl eligibility denied as they are 7-3, but also in the second year of transition.

I think that it cuts both ways on this. JMU knew what the rules were when they moved up, but the NCAA could also make it so teams can be eligible if they are at FBS standards, which JMU is. I think the rule is dumb in general and is pointless thanks to the transfer portal making what happened with Marshall in the 90s pretty irrelevant. There should be a period of postseason ineligibility if a school moves down, but shouldn’t be if they move up. Or just require a one year transition while still FCS like JSU and SHSU did last year, and KSU this year.

taper
November 18th, 2023, 12:24 PM
I saw an interesting idea. If you play in Hawaii you can schedule an extra game, the intent is to help cover travel costs. The important part is playing *in* Hawaii, not playing the U of Hawaii. James Madison and Jacksonville St could play each other in Hawaii during what's normally the conf title game week. Legally just a normal OOC game at a neutral location. Doesn't violate any bylaws.

Hammerhead
November 18th, 2023, 03:20 PM
There were people asking if NDSU could be in a bowl game in 2007 when they were not eligible for the FCS playoffs after beating two FBS teams and were unbeaten until the final game and the NCAA said it wasn’t an option.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2023, 06:24 PM

The problem is that, with the exception of the Sun Bowl, all of the minor bowls are essentially ESPN properties that have contractual arrangements with conferences: the Fenway Bowl, for example, must select an ACC team versus an AAC team as part of the contract. There are no bowls that have "free agent" invitations.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2023, 08:53 PM
The problem is that, with the exception of the Sun Bowl, all of the minor bowls are essentially ESPN properties that have contractual arrangements with conferences: the Fenway Bowl, for example, must select an ACC team versus an AAC team as part of the contract. There are no bowls that have "free agent" invitations.
Fenway Bowl. I don't think I've ever heard of that one. Probably have seen it scanning scores or something but it sure doesn't ring a bell.

KPSUL
November 18th, 2023, 09:37 PM
I believe the situation with your second question answers the first, they're not even going to let JMU play in a bowl game even though they used to be undefeated.

​FIFY

NY Crusader 2010
November 19th, 2023, 06:09 AM

This is true, but they kind of do once you get to the point of a conference not having enough eligible teams to fill that next slot. So, if the Idaho Potato Bowl doesn't have another MAC team available with 6 wins, it's my understanding they would have to grab a different FBS team with 6 wins in lieu of a MAC team with 5 wins. But short of that, yes, its contractual. For example, last year it would have made a ton of sense for UConn to play in the Fenway Bowl. But Louisville and Cincinnati went instead I believe due to the ACC and American tie-ins.

Even the service academies have conditional tie-ins. Not sure how it works when they get invited to "bigger" bowls like the Liberty, which Navy did in 2019. But I think the default tie-ins for Army and Navy are the Armed Forces Bowl in Dallas (SMU campus) and the Military Bowl (used to be at Nationals Park in DC but they moved it to Navy-Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis). And Notre Dame even has some sort of tie-ins too. A lot of the bigger bowls have "ACC OR Notre Dame" and in the past "Big East OR Notre Dame" as listed tie-ins.

NY Crusader 2010
November 19th, 2023, 06:14 AM
Fenway Bowl. I don't think I've ever heard of that one. Probably have seen it scanning scores or something but it sure doesn't ring a bell.

Was new last year. ACC v. American tie-in. Inaugural game Louisville beat Cincinnati. As long as it continues to exist, this will be the default bowl game for Boston College whenever they have 6 wins and aren't good enough to play in a New Year's Bowl.

Too bad it can't be Holy Cross v. UNH this year!