PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis Pirate Captain Dan Hawkins- A Press Conference Like You've Never Seen Before

BlueGoldAg
October 30th, 2023, 08:40 PM
UC Davis Head Coach, Dan Hawkins dressed as a pirate captain, gave an entertaining and insightful press conference today discussing the Aggies disappointing loss to Northern Arizona, the upcoming game with Portland State and the Aggies up-and-down season in general. There is some honest, coaching wisdom near the end of this entertaining presser from a coach whose many years of coaching success and failures alike has led him to believe in a process that is fundamentally more important that just wins and loses. That part begins at the 12:28 mark of the video.

<strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quoaJiUX9KM&amp;t=990s

Roamingriz
October 30th, 2023, 10:44 PM
That is excellent and manages to (mostly) keep up the act!

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2023, 02:49 PM
Very good, but not as good as his “This is the Big 12 rant” from years ago!

BlueGoldAg
November 1st, 2023, 11:50 AM
Very good, but not as good as his “This is the Big 12 rant” from years ago!

He can certainly be colorful and entertaining and he's never at a loss for words that's for sure! He's mellowed over the years and has become quite philosophical now in regards to football and life in general. He likes to talk about the valuable experiences and lessons that competitive sports can provide for athletes to take with them on their journey in life. He calls it "The Hero's Journey" and it's part of the fabric of Aggie football now along with "Aggie Pride."

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2023, 07:10 PM
He can certainly be colorful and entertaining and he's never at a loss for words that's for sure! He's mellowed over the years and has become quite philosophical now in regards to football and life in general. He likes to talk about the valuable experiences and lessons that competitive sports can provide for athletes to take with them on their journey in life. He calls it "The Hero's Journey" and it's part of the fabric of Aggie football now along with "Aggie Pride."
Good stuff, and always liked Hawkins. Just seemed he wasn’t really cut out for the “junk” that comes along with P5 football, but is just a guy that loves coaching and his players.

BlueGoldAg
November 1st, 2023, 07:53 PM
Good stuff, and always liked Hawkins. Just seemed he wasn’t really cut out for the “junk” that comes along with P5 football, but is just a guy that loves coaching and his players.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2023, 08:17 PM
Bad blood between Barnum and Hawkins? Seems Barnum is upset that Hawkins sat behind his bench watching his son coach during the Portland State/Idaho State game.

https://www.750thegame.com/portland-state-head-coach-bruce-barnum-says-an-opposing-head-coach-sat-right-behind-his-bench-at-last-game/

Should be interesting this weekend. Hawkins' son certainly gave him a blueprint on how to beat the Vikings.

BlueGoldAg
November 2nd, 2023, 10:21 PM
Bad blood between Barnum and Hawkins? Seems Barnum is upset that Hawkins sat behind his bench watching his son coach during the Portland State/Idaho State game.

https://www.750thegame.com/portland-state-head-coach-bruce-barnum-says-an-opposing-head-coach-sat-right-behind-his-bench-at-last-game/

Should be interesting this weekend. Hawkins' son certainly gave him a blueprint on how to beat the Vikings.

Wow...seems to me like Barnum is expressing a lot of sour grapes. Hawkins did mention that he was happy that he got to watch Cody coach during the Bye week and that he was able to have a visit with his grandkids as well. It seems to me the Barnum is jumping to a whole lot of conclusions that some sort of "foul play" took place.
"

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2023, 08:00 AM
Aggies right? Not Pirates or Buccaneers? He should have come out dressed like a farmer.

MSUBobcat
November 3rd, 2023, 10:15 AM
Wow...seems to me like Barnum is expressing a lot of sour grapes. Hawkins did mention that he was happy that he got to watch Cody coach during the Bye week and that he was able to have a visit with his grandkids as well. It seems to me the Barnum is jumping to a whole lot of conclusions that some sort of "foul play" took place.
"

Yeah, seems crazy that he'd be okay if Hawkins came to watch him play but not okay for a dad to come watch his kid coach in his FIRST YEAR as a head coach, in the only opportunity he'll get this year. Sitting behind the opposing bench instead of behind his son is some bad optics, but I don't know what seating was available, so I'll err on the side of nothing nefarious was intended.

Aggies right? Not Pirates or Buccaneers? He should have come out dressed like a farmer.

That's.... not how Halloween works. I'm a CPA, do I have to buy one of those green visors and a pocket protector for Halloween (I do actually want the visor, not just for Halloween)? Or I work for an electrical engineering company, do I have to dress like an average bloke in business casual?

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2023, 12:02 PM
Sitting behind the opposing bench instead of behind his son is some bad optics, but I don't know what seating was available, so I'll err on the side of nothing nefarious was intended.

It was at Hillsboro. We had 3000 in a 7500 seat stadium. Plenty of seats available. xconfusedx

In the context, it was probably more of Barnum being Barnum. He was asked about what he thought of the Michigan situation and he was "Well, being that you asked..." Barnum did say that if he knew "Hawk" was coming, he would have put him in the VIP suite at Hillsboro, and not right behind his bench.

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2023, 07:10 PM
That's.... not how Halloween works. I'm a CPA, do I have to buy one of those green visors and a pocket protector for Halloween (I do actually want the visor, not just for Halloween)? Or I work for an electrical engineering company, do I have to dress like an average bloke in business casual?

Only if your team is called the Montana State "Accountants".