PDA

View Full Version : Coaches' Poll, 10/30/23

UAalum72
October 30th, 2023, 11:46 AM
#2 Montana State loses on the road to #7 Idaho and falls to 8th; Fordham with their third FCS loss manages to stay ahead of Albany in ORV

RANK
SCHOOL
RECORD
PTS.
PREV.

South Dakota Stata (25)
8-0

Furman
7-1

Montana
7-1

UIW
7-1

Idaho
6-2

Delaware
7-1

Sacramento State
6-2

Montana State
6-2

North Carolina Central
7-1

North Dakota State
6-2

Southern Illinois
6-2

South Dakota
6-2

T-13
Chattanooga
7-2

T-13
Florida A&M
7-1

North Dakota
5-3

Lafayette
7-1

Austin Peay
6-2

UT Martin
6-2

Harvard
6-1

Western Carolina
5-3

Holy Cross
5-3

Villanova
6-2
NR

Northern Iowa
5-3
NR

William & Mary
5-3

Central Arkansas
5-3

Others Receiving Votes: Mercer, 50; Youngstown State, 44; Fordham, 27; UAlbany, 23; Illinois State, 7; New Hampshire, 5; Eastern Illinois, 3; Princeton, 2; Davidson, 1; Samford, 1.

VandalBasher
October 30th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Solid. The Griz deserve to be ahead of Idaho due to the head-to-head.

MSUBobcat
October 30th, 2023, 12:07 PM
Solid. The Griz deserve to be ahead of Idaho due to the head-to-head.

That part is solid. MSU behind Sac who we just beat at their house makes no sense. UIW at 4 is a travesty (though I do want them to take the 4 or 5 if seeds 1-3 are now out of reach for MSU so we don't have to play in Brookings in December xnodx). W&M at 24 and Fordham getting more votes than Albany is sheer nonsense. And who TF is voting for DAVIDSON?!?! 5-0 in the Pioneer gets you a vote? They lost to a bad VMI and a mediocre D-II Barton College. Massey has them at 99 out of 128 FCS teams.

kdinva
October 30th, 2023, 12:21 PM
And who TF is voting for DAVIDSON?!?! 5-0 in the Pioneer gets you a vote? They lost to a bad VMI and a mediocre D-II Barton College.

VMI is middle of the pack this year, Keydets two missed kicks from beating #17 UTC Saturday.

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Im fine with Lafayette College (what 2700 students, half of them women) being #16. GO PARDS !!!!

MSUBobcat
October 30th, 2023, 01:40 PM
VMI is middle of the pack this year, Keydets two missed kicks from beating #17 UTC Saturday.

I was actually slightly dinging UTC for the close win, TBH. I'd like middle of the pack to beat Bucknell, but I can get down with upper-lower pack or lower-middle pack, whichever.

MRuler
October 31st, 2023, 07:11 AM
Maybe I dont understand polling but can someone explain to me how Albany beats the pants off both Fordham and Villanova and we are currently behind both schools??

robsnotes4u
October 31st, 2023, 07:42 AM
Maybe I dont understand polling but can someone explain to me how Albany beats the pants off both Fordham and Villanova and we are currently behind both schools??

The coaches poll doesn't understand polling. Coaches have a team to run, and film to watch in the team they are playing. They don't have time for this, and either spend five minutes doing it, or pass it on to their admin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 31st, 2023, 07:50 AM

I can see Fordham. But it's not as easy with Villanova. It's body of work that matters. Not just H2H. I have Albany just ahead of Villanova, but an argument can be made that Villanova has just as good or better wins. This week's results will clear up any doubt though as to who belongs where. That Albany isn't in the top 25 in this poll is a foul though for sure. It's why our poll is better.

clenz
October 31st, 2023, 09:12 AM
There's no explanation for anything coaches poll related.

Honestly, it's best to pretend it doesn't exist.

UAalum72
October 31st, 2023, 09:16 AM
There's no explanation for anything coaches poll related.

Honestly, it's best to pretend it doesn't exist.
Except it's listed on the NCAA site, so presumably it's a source used by the selection committee

clenz
October 31st, 2023, 09:18 AM
Except it's listed on the NCAA site, so presumably it's a source used by the selection committee
I stand by what I said.

Also, trying to make sense of anything the selection committee is as pointless as trying to make sense of the coaches poll.

Redbird 4th & short
October 31st, 2023, 10:43 AM
I stand by what I said.

Also, trying to make sense of anything the selection committee is as pointless as trying to make sense of the coaches poll.

Nice game for your Panthers .. we're all but out of playoffs even if we win out. We need 3 strong wins and a lot of help from bubble teams.

Completely agree with Coaches Poll being worthless. Incarnate Word is the most mind blowing to me .. they have played noone and are beating many weak teams by 10-12 points. NC Cental and FL A&M also way over-rated.

But I do like the steps that have been taken, under pressure, by the Selection Committee. Still make mistakes, but not as bad as it used to be IMO. I like the transparency with their showing the top 10 after games 8, 9, and 10. It at least allows for some push back before everything is said and done in a matter of 24 hours like it used to be.

Chalupa Batman
October 31st, 2023, 10:54 AM

Yes, this poll and the Stats poll (replacing the SRS) are both used by the selection committee.

Nice game for your Panthers .. we're all but out of playoffs even if we win out. We need 3 strong wins and a lot of help from bubble teams.

Completely agree with Coaches Poll being worthless. Incarnate Word is the most mind blowing to me .. they have played noone and are beating many weak teams by 10-12 points. NC Cental and FL A&M also way over-rated.

But I do like the steps that have been taken, under pressure, by the Selection Committee. Still make mistakes, but not as bad as it used to be IMO. I like the transparency with their showing the top 10 after games 8, 9, and 10. It at least allows for some push back before everything is said and done in a matter of 24 hours like it used to be.

I'm pretty sure this was the only sneak peek this season.

clenz
October 31st, 2023, 10:55 AM

Spack/Farley is always a fantastic match up because it's always terrible to watch. Both coaches know exactly what the other is going to do because they've both done the exact same thing every single game, play, situation within the game against each other for a decade and neither coach is willing to try literally anything else.

Redbird 4th & short
October 31st, 2023, 11:27 AM
Spack/Farley is always a fantastic match up because it's always terrible to watch. Both coaches know exactly what the other is going to do because they've both done the exact same thing every single game, play, situation within the game against each other for a decade and neither coach is willing to try literally anything else.

Hah .. well I love defense, so I'm a Spack fan and respect Farley for same reason. But yes .. very similar coaches .. strengths and weaknesses over the years. Ironically, we finally have a QB and good overall offense, but now our defense sucks against good teams .. even while dominant against weak teams. But I get tired of hearing how dominant our defense is by game announcers, while it's getting dominated - I know better .. we arent all that in MVFC this year on defense ... weakest SOS we have ever had. Our only saving grace on defense this year, aside from loading up stats against weak teams, is that we finally settle down 2nd half in all 3 MVFC losses to good teams. This gives me hope our defense will return to form next year ... except we lose our QB.

Looks like you guys might be getting your stride back in time playoffs. Goo dluck rest of way.

Redbird 4th & short
October 31st, 2023, 11:29 AM
Yes, this poll and the Stats poll (replacing the SRS) are both used by the selection committee.

I'm pretty sure this was the only sneak peek this season.

Now sounding familiar ... so only 1 sneak preview ??? We went backwards in transparency ?