PDA

View Full Version : Final Thoughts: ASU/UR

appstate38
December 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Watching this game and knowing what Richmond brought to the table, I must say that I was a little nervous about this game.

The fast start by the Apps helped greatly, but with Richmond not laying down and battling back made this a good game.

Final observations:

ASU's team speed was a factor, especially on offense. Richmond had no answer, whether it be WR's or AE. Tough to beat

ASU defense, once again did enough to contain a tough runner and force some turnovers.

Except for a let down right before and right after the half, it was a pretty complete game from the APPS!

jonmac
December 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, job well done by the defense. We held Hightower to 95 yards. Pass defense seemed to let up a bit to help with this though. I am overall pleased. I did not get to start watching until late 2nd quarter, 35-14. Can't wait to watch the first quarter tomorrow.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Like I said before, ASU's run D is better than their numbers show. The announcers made a point of telling us how low-ranked they were but of course there are a lot of good rushing offenses in the SoCon.

umassfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Like I said before, ASU's run D is better than their numbers show. The announcers made a point of telling us how low-ranked they were but of course there are a lot of good rushing offenses in the SoCon.

Hightower was banged up and Richmond wasnt known for their passing game this year... Both UD and SIU pass better then Richmond so keeping 8 in the box prob wont work.

AppStateSVX
December 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Hightower was banged up and Richmond wasnt known for their passing game this year... Both UD and SIU pass better then Richmond so keeping 8 in the box prob wont work.

allrighty, I love it that whenever ASU get a win - others downplay it.xnonono2x

umassfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
allrighty, I love it that whenever ASU get a win - others downplay it.xnonono2x

Not downplaying the win... just the fact that their rush D wasnt that great... exp given the fact that richmond threw alot being down all game.

CharlestonAppFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Not downplaying the win... just the fact that their rush D wasnt that great... exp given the fact that richmond threw alot being down all game.

Here we go again xsmhx ....

umassfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Here we go again xsmhx ....

I dont know where we are going?

back2back
December 8th, 2007, 12:59 AM

UMASS where have I heard their name before? Give me a break!!

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 12:59 AM
This was one of the best games I've been to. There was a great atmosphere (24,000 screaming fans and a chilly night game).

Going into the game, I thought that given UR's strengths and our weaknesses, we needed to come out and put points on the board early. Luckily, we were able to do that and withstand Richmond's rallies. I was surprised to see us score 55 on a defense that limited Woffie to only 10! Our D has yet to play a complete game - this time, they either made great stops or let the creepy-crawlies get whatever they wanted.

Now for Armanti...the guy played unbelievably. 313 rushing yards (over 10 a carry) for 4 tds and 182 yards and 3 tds on 14-16 passing??? Are you joking? And I would argue that he played even better than the way his stats looked - especially throwing the ball. Some of the clutch plays he made just made my jaw drop. I haven't seen such a dominating performance on a football field (given, I'm only 21). Ladies and Gentlemen who didn't realize before... Armanti. Is. For. Real.

As for the negative comments about Chancellor Peacock, you have to be joking! He's not out there taunting the opposing fans, he's amping up the crowd and giving positive support to our guys! I'm sorry if he comes off as cocky or conceited. I'm sure thats not his intention. The support level that Cobb and Peacock have brought to the ASU program is amazing. Who'd have thought that an App playoff game could draw 24,000 people? This is the product of some of the things that the Chancellor and AD have done, as well as a great product on the field. As we all know, winning games doesn't always bring in the crowds. These guys do, and they know how to do it. The best thing about Peacock is that he's a really down-to-earth guy! As many have mentioned before, he doesn't just stay up in the press box chatting with the boosters. He tailgates with the alumni, cheers with the students, and gets on the field to show off the two trophies that represent the team that he's so proud of. If you're knocking that, I don't really know what to tell you.

Also, I hope that the field-rushing didn't make too many people unhappy. I can see both sides of the argument that has been brought up. I realize that we have been there before, but these players are perhaps going to be doing something thats never been done before: win three fcs national championships in a row! They want us to celebrate with them and we want to do the same. The level of excitement for the program is at an all time high, and its almost like bringing the posts down in the semi-finals is a tradition now. I went down on the field, I celebrated, and I congratulated our players. I left the goalposts to the others. Then we followed the goal post mob to duck pond, rivers street, and finally Peacock's house. It was an amazing experience. It doesn't get old.

I hope everyone who went to the game had a great time (especially the Richmond fans) and were treated with respect. Have a safe trip home for the out-of-towners, and rest up for Chatty! You gotta love FCS, where we decide it on the field.xthumbsupx

back2back
December 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
mister,

You hit the nose on the head with the Peacock comments. I am a '92 grad and was in Winston-Salem at the mall about a week after Championship #1 when I saw the Chancellor. I had on my ASU shirt and he stops and talks to me for about two minutes about the season and the prospects for 2006. Then he asks about what I had done since graduation. I could go on, he's a great guy and if people are questioning him then we don't have many problems up on the MOUNTAIN!!!

gr8ness97
December 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM
i just sat there thinking...why cant my chancellor be like that? lol

Go...gate
December 8th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Watched the entire game with my dad. It was very entertaining and both teams played their butts off. I think ASU is going to get a third ring.

BarefootApp
December 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Where was ASU's Tim Washington (DE transfer from LSU)? He has been playing really well. Just wondering.

appstate38
December 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Did it seem to anyone else that the Apps where playing at another speed than Richmond last night. The two people that stand out the most are Armanti and D. Jackson. But it seemed that we played very fast on both sides of the ball.

boonegoon
December 8th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I don't mean this to sound wrong but does anyone agree that the call to go for it on 4th and 1 with a 3 score lead and 2 min to go in the first half the worst call of the game? You get it, great but they didn't and allowed Richmond to take the momentum into halftime and get back into the game. Glad that it didn't turn out to be bad but I was really questioning that call when Richmond scored twice to open the second half. Any thoughts?

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
As I said in another post.......the key to the game was AE......

There seemed to be quite a difference in team speed......

Congrats to ASU....

clintc
December 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Wow What a great game.
Armanti was incredible.
But lets give some credit to the guys up front. To block for a QB and and Running back like Richardson means your guys up front have to be ready for anything. And then to be able to provide the pass protection on top of that means the OL needs to be ready on every play.

Hats off to Richmond. To not give up after our fast start shows the desire of this YOUNG Team. Your QB made some great plays with his feet to and if not for some dropped balls by his recievers they would have made some big plays also. Keep your program moving in the right direction and next year you will have the experience when it comes to playoff time.

Were going back to CHatty!!!!!!!!!!!

lillycafe
December 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Edwards is the most selfish player iv'e ever seen,that said i think he will make it in the NFL.The coaches there won't allow him to be so self centered. He's a tough, fast kid,who wants all the glory, he needs to get over himself.I hope the Hens kick there ass.

You know not of what you speak. Has Deleware already beaten SIU???? I guess I missed it.

APPST '93
December 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Edwards is the most selfish player iv'e ever seen,that said i think he will make it in the NFL.The coaches there won't allow him to be so self centered. He's a tough, fast kid,who wants all the glory, he needs to get over himself.I hope the Hens kick there ass.

Take it to the smack board!

Appguy
December 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I totally got tackled by one of the Richmond O-Lineman while i was watching the goalposts goin down. I actually tried to move out of his way getting off the field but he shoved me down just cause he could. and dont tell me, i know we shouldnt be on the field, but it was unnecessary. I think it was #75.

APPST '93
December 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM

xconfusedx

Quote from Edwards...

Edwards was typically modest about his big night.

As Mountaineers fans lined up outside to buy tickets for the championship game, Edwards explained how he ran so free so often.

"Our linemen blocked the way they were supposed to block," he said. "Those big holes, anyone can run through."

jonmac
December 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM

It's called the option silly. If he sees the hole he's SUPPOSED to keep it.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I have to admit, I haven't been able to see either team this season short of some highlights, that said...

To have these two teams go head-to-head on national television, and put on one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long time... what a wonderful showing for the brand that is FCS.

Personally, having not seen Amanti Edwards this season... WOW. He cannot be a sophomore... he's worth the price of admission himself.

As for the comments about Peacock... I don't get the hate. The guy was in his home stadium, psyching up the 7,000 strong student section... his excitement was feeding in to theirs and vice-versa. I LIKE a college president who gets that excited about the success of his institution.

His interview with ESPN proved to me that he understands the place football has on college campuses. Talking about raising their exposure among young people, getting a higher quality and more diverse student body as a result. He was talking a lot like Joe Chapman at NDSU... the kind of guy who has the vision to see where athletics can enhance the education and social experience in college.

Anyway, hats off to App. St. on an exciting win, and equal respect to Richmond for playing a hell of a game, and for proving that top academic schools can compete on the football field. (here's hoping you don't lose your coach to Duke)

Spider
December 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
congrats, great game APPY; i see nothing but a 'three peat' for you guys...xthumbsupx

jonmac
December 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM
congrats, great game APPY; i see nothing but a 'three peat' for you guys...xthumbsupx

Thanks Spider. The CAA big guys better watch out for the new big guy on the block. You guys should be able to enjoy some more success in future years.

asudan22
December 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I don't mean this to sound wrong but does anyone agree that the call to go for it on 4th and 1 with a 3 score lead and 2 min to go in the first half the worst call of the game? You get it, great but they didn't and allowed Richmond to take the momentum into halftime and get back into the game. Glad that it didn't turn out to be bad but I was really questioning that call when Richmond scored twice to open the second half. Any thoughts?

I told my buddy beside me when they did that, it was stupid and it would change the momentum, I said Micky Matthews did it last week and look how that turn out. But, we ot lucky to turn that one around. GO APPS

appstate1998
December 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Armanti is not selfish ...he does what the offensive shceme is built for and he does it well. He had an amazing game. I think the best part of the highlight reel for him was when he ran the touchdown in and the LB from Richmond came charging in and slammed AE and AE barely moved while the LB had to pick himself off the field.

asudan22
December 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM

How is this, he runs the play the coaches give him. He makes a read and hits the hole.

appstate1998
December 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
How is this, he runs the play the coaches give him. He makes a read and hits the hole.

bingo

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
If I coached App the play I would send in mst of the time is "go be selfish"

How frustrating for a D, you think you've got a play defended well, everything contained, then bang he runs for 15,25 or 40 yards.

DTSpider
December 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Wow, Edwards is amazing. I was really proud of our guys last night for coming back to tie it up. That being said, it was obvious that we couldn't stop Edwards. Lack of depth really hurt UR on the defensive side. ASU is well coached and plays well. Congrats on making it to 'Nooga.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
At what point in the season did Richmond lose Sherman Logan?

Mike G.
December 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Good Job richmond, no shame in losing to appalachian, everyone else does.

93henfan
December 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Congratulations to Appalachian State. That was one heckuva performance by Edwards and overall impressive recovery from losing a very large lead. Kudos to the coaching staff there.

Congratulations also to Richmond for not giving up when you were down 35-14. I wonder how many people across the country turned off this game at halftime and read the paper/internet this morning and saw the three touchdown win and never knew what heart Richmond had to tie up that game in the second half.

Mr. Edwards was the difference in this game. That kid is a stud.

Here's hoping the hens can pull it off in the second game today because the atmosphere in Chatty will be incredible next week, you'll have two incredible QBs on the field, and surely a ton of points being scored.

Again, congrats to the Mountaineersxthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
At what point in the season did Richmond lose Sherman Logan?

Very early. Career ending, I believe.

The guy they missed last night was DE Sidbury. His absence left the left side of the D extremely vulnerable, and ASU capitalized early and often. The replacement was unable to get off blocks and let Armanti get to the second level very quickly. When he gets that much room to get upfield any opponent is dead.

Bettina90
December 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Very early. Career ending, I believe.

The guy they missed last night was DE Sidbury. His absence left the left side of the D extremely vulnerable, and ASU capitalized early and often. The replacement was unable to get off blocks and let Armanti get to the second level very quickly. When he gets that much room to get upfield any opponent is dead.

I actually think it was against UNH and he was granted a 6th year and is supposed to be back. Along with Tim Silver. And correct on Sidbury but it may not have made a difference. AE was absurd. Congrats APPS, Richmond is real young and maybe we'll run into you again next year with a better answer for him.

BTW, "Ballroom Dancing Theory"? Is someone serious? Is he gonna be a judge on "Dancing with the Stars?"

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I actually think it was against UNH and he was granted a 6th year and is supposed to be back. Along with Tim Silver. And correct on Sidbury but it may not have made a difference. AE was absurd. Congrats APPS, Richmond is real young and maybe we'll run into you again next year with a better answer for him.

BTW, "Ballroom Dancing Theory"? Is someone serious? Is he gonna be a judge on "Dancing with the Stars?"

Bettina, as a UR fan, what was your opinion of the game last night? No smack, just curious. xthumbsupx

unicat87
December 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
This was one of the best games I've been to. There was a great atmosphere (24,000 screaming fans and a chilly night game).

As for the negative comments about Chancellor Peacock, you have to be joking! He's not out there taunting the opposing fans, he's amping up the crowd and giving positive support to our guys! I'm sorry if he comes off as cocky or conceited. I'm sure thats not his intention. The support level that Cobb and Peacock have brought to the ASU program is amazing. Who'd have thought that an App playoff game could draw 24,000 people? This is the product of some of the things that the Chancellor and AD have done, as well as a great product on the field. As we all know, winning games doesn't always bring in the crowds. These guys do, and they know how to do it. The best thing about Peacock is that he's a really down-to-earth guy! As many have mentioned before, he doesn't just stay up in the press box chatting with the boosters. He tailgates with the alumni, cheers with the students, and gets on the field to show off the two trophies that represent the team that he's so proud of. If you're knocking that, I don't really know what to tell you.

Also, I hope that the field-rushing didn't make too many people unhappy. I can see both sides of the argument that has been brought up. I realize that we have been there before, but these players are perhaps going to be doing something thats never been done before: win three fcs national championships in a row! They want us to celebrate with them and we want to do the same. The level of excitement for the program is at an all time high, and its almost like bringing the posts down in the semi-finals is a tradition now. I went down on the field, I celebrated, and I congratulated our players. I left the goalposts to the others. Then we followed the goal post mob to duck pond, rivers street, and finally Peacock's house. It was an amazing experience. It doesn't get old.

I hope everyone who went to the game had a great time (especially the Richmond fans) and were treated with respect. Have a safe trip home for the out-of-towners, and rest up for Chatty! You gotta love FCS, where we decide it on the field.xthumbsupx

Let's see, you're 20 points ahead with 13 seconds to play, and while we dont' want it to happen all the time, can we really blame those wanting to celebrate a tad early?

I can't believe the negative comments about your Chancellor being head cheerleader, a great promoter of ASU FB and ASU, and a generally all-around good guy. He's an incredible leader and I think he is doing alright! :) -unicat87

AppStateSVX
December 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM

xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx You obviously have no idea on the offense that ASU runs. like the other posters have stated, the OPTION that we run is designed for the QB to have the freedom to take the holes the first chance he gets. It keeps the defense honest, and VERY few people can catch Armanti once he gets going. xnonono2x

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I knew he got hurt v UNH but I didn't know he was out for the year.
Too bad for UR, he's unreal.

Good to see he got another year...good to know UNH doesn't have to see him!xsmiley_wix

ASUdrummer
December 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
As a senior ASU Drumline member it has been amazing to see the past three years unfold. This game couldn't have been better. Our boys played with some passion from the get-go and it showed in the end. The only complaint I have with Richmond is their fans during pre-game. When you cheer loud chants during America the Beautiful and our Alma Mater it's just rude. The football team displayed plenty of class though. There were no unnecessary penalties throughout the game which was awesome to see. Congrats on a great season and best of luck next year UR! Go Apps!!!

YesAppCan
December 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Congrats to Richmond on a gutty comeback. You have a really fine team. To the UNI folks, I really had thought we'd end up having a rematch against you folks. Hope whoever it is we play, they bring a good crowd.

93henfan
December 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Richmond on a gutty comeback. You have a really fine team. To the UNI folks, I really had thought we'd end up having a rematch against you folks. Hope whoever it is we play, they bring a good crowd.

Well, seeing as how UD only requested 3,000 tickets and SIU even less it looks like you're assured of at least 80% App fans. Not sure WTH the UD ticket office was thinking. There are going to be several thousand UD fans unable to buy tickets if we beat SIU today.

great2bmtneer
December 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I was at the game last night but saw this from a furman fan while they were threading during the game. Someone was commenting on the sign in the stands that says "superman wears armanti edwards pajamas...thought this was pretty funny.
"Whoopass opens up a can of Armanti Edwards".

Bettina90
December 8th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Bettina, as a UR fan, what was your opinion of the game last night? No smack, just curious. xthumbsupx

Well, not too much too say. I think that Richmond was probably the least healthy they were all year and lost an O-linemen during the game. But it may not have mattered, Edwards is unreal. It surprises me that he does not get broken, considering his size. Richmond will be back next year, they are real young. The personal foul penalty was flat-out awful, but we can file that in the "Might not have mattered" department also.

Appaholic
December 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM

WOW....what an unintelligent, ill-informed, and idiotic post? Nothing to see here.....move along.....xcoffeex

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Well, not too much too say. I think that Richmond was probably the least healthy they were all year and lost an O-linemen during the game. But it may not have mattered, Edwards is unreal. It surprises me that he does not get broken, considering his size. Richmond will be back next year, they are real young. The personal foul penalty was flat-out awful, but we can file that in the "Might not have mattered" department also.

I think the key to AE is he never really gets constantly drilled during the course of a game. He's taken some tough hits but never been pounded consistently over a quarter or two.

I think part of it is mindset - part may also be coaching (though I don't know if that is the case with App). It used to be 'take the hit' and drive for a few extra yards. Guys hit so hard these days I think it's better to get what you can and avoid the direct HIT.

I also think the PF call was borderline but think it was half-message / half-makeup for the call when KR was clearly stepping OB and took a hit in a previous series.

All-n-all well played game. Congrats to UR. Youse guys played tough, have a great future and a fine university.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM

I'd be very surprised if Logan gets a sixth year. He played in more than 25% of quarters. 6th years are extremely rare these days.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The RTD has reported that Logan got a 6th year.

You never know if the media can be trusted, but it is what they said...

ronpayne
December 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM
As a senior ASU Drumline member it has been amazing to see the past three years unfold. This game couldn't have been better. Our boys played with some passion from the get-go and it showed in the end. The only complaint I have with Richmond is their fans during pre-game. When you cheer loud chants during America the Beautiful and our Alma Mater it's just rude. The football team displayed plenty of class though. There were no unnecessary penalties throughout the game which was awesome to see. Congrats on a great season and best of luck next year UR! Go Apps!!!

I echo the comment about the pregame chants - for the most part though the Richmond fans were classy, but I could have done without the chants during the presentation of the American Flag!

Great job Richmond on a good season. You will no doubt be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years! I'd love to see a regular season rematch!

ASU Drummer - Just wanted to say as a 5 year band alum and current (hs band) director I think you guys in the current band do us alums proud- Sound great and act with lots of class - Go Apps! Thanks for representing the traditions we have established and continuing to improve them!

HaveFunKc
December 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM
"Whoopass opens up a can of Armanti Edwards".

That's got to be one of the best descriptions I've seen for last night's game - bar none! xbowx xbowx xbowx

This is the playoffs. To be the best, you got to best the best! xthumbsupx

ASUG8
December 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
That's got to be one of the best descriptions I've seen for last night's game - bar none! xbowx xbowx xbowx

This is the playoffs. To be the best, you got to best the best! xthumbsupx

Armanti Edwards coaches Chuck Norris on how not to get hit.

DTSpider
December 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I'd be very surprised if Logan gets a sixth year. He played in more than 25% of quarters. 6th years are extremely rare these days.

He received a 6th year due to already missing a whole season (2004) due to injury. Also did not play in 2003. I don't know the exact formula, but he received the extra year.

Silver's was more standard. Having both back will be a huge lift as it gives us depth.

spdram
December 8th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Congrats to ASU, the better team last night won. We come out good in the NC either way now, if ASU wins it took the champion to knock us out and we were able to come back on them; if UD wins we beat them in their house. Still wish it was my Spiders hoisting the trophy in Chatty.

As for the comments about the pregame cheers, sorry if you took our cheering as disrespectful we were just getting ready for the game and not really paying much attention to the happenings. If you want folks to stop perhaps the PA should request it.

I thought we really missed #5 Stephen Howell last night (known affectionately as "Country"). He is great plugging the hole and limiting the run. May not have made any difference at all, but I have to wonder.

As I said congrats on the win, you earned it.

feb18blacksunday
December 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Richmond left it on the field last nite....just like the good team that they are.Lookin forward to seeing ya'll next year.

AppIAA
December 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM
As for the comments about the pregame cheers, sorry if you took our cheering as disrespectful we were just getting ready for the game and not really paying much attention to the happenings. If you want folks to stop perhaps the PA should request it.

The PA did say "Now presenting the colors of America" or something along those lines.. that usually means, show some respect for your country!!

Most of the fans were very classy though..

However I did run into some that were very arrogant and pushed me as I was walking up the stairs to exit the stadium. My only response was "Hey, you guys have a hell of a team and should be proud!!!" and kept walking

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Didn't get a chance to post it sooner, but congrats to Richmond on a great season and also to App St for moving on. Edwards is something else and one of the quickest athletes i have ever seen.