PDA

View Full Version : Furman at Samford

The Cats
October 12th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Can a revitalized Samford take care of Furman in Seibert Stadium?

Both teams need a win, Samford has more to lose, as another loss with shut out any chances for a playoff spot, a loss by the Paladins sets them up nicely to lose in Cullowhee the next week!!!

crusader11
October 12th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Really looking forward to this game. The playoffs have started for Samford in October. I'm not sure 7-4 is good enough for them to get in as an at-large.

SU DOG
October 12th, 2023, 02:07 PM
To be 7-4 in D-1 wins, we would have to win out with 5 straight wins. Those wins would include wins over Furman, Mercer, and UT Martin. So, I am pretty certain that Samford would be in the Playoffs. That is a strong resume that would include 7 straight FCS wins. Problem is that as of now, even though I am hopeful, it is hard to believe we could attain that goal.

The Cats
October 12th, 2023, 02:09 PM
To be 7-4 in D-1 wins, we would have to win out with 5 straight wins. Those wins would include wins over Furman, Mercer, and UT Martin. So, I am pretty certain that Samford would be in the Playoffs. That is a strong resume that would include 7 straight FCS wins. Problem is that as of now, even though I am hopeful, it is hard to believe we could attain that goal.

Just remember what they did last season. This is doable.

wcugrad95
October 12th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Samford is 3-3 now. Win out and that is 8-3, right? That would be 6-2 in the SOCON and probably a 2nd place finish (or even tied at the top given the games still coming up). A win against a top-5 FU to get the Bulldogs to 4-3 probably gets you into (or very close to) the top-25 this week since SU has contined to be in the ORV in many polls. The last 2 games would be against Mercer and UT-Martin who both very well might be ranked. Surely Samford would find their way in given that scenario - especially if the WCU and UTC losses remain "quality losses" (two words I always struggle to put together).

Now that is a whole lot of "ifs" in there. The same can be said about a lot of teams right now with 5 games left to go. As @crusader11 said, there is no doubt the playoffs have begun for Samford. Winning 4 of the last 5 would mean adding a 3rd FCS and league loss which I expect keeps any SOCON team out. 8 wins is going to be needed.

wcugrad95
October 12th, 2023, 02:24 PM
As for the game, I put notes in the SOCON thread. I expect Samford to get a lot of stats in this game. On the other hand, Furman will be looking to take that short and mid-range passing away and to put pressure on Hiers. On offense, Furman will probably try and run it down the Bulldog's throats, control the clock, and keep Samford's O on the sidelines. Samford will need to play much better defense, and will have to convert TDs vs FGs and limit/eliminate the turnover bug that has been plaguing them. If they don't or if Furman can simply run at will, the Paladins will win this going away. If they do, it will be a tightly contested game.