PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown St @ South Dakota

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Another interesting big game this week as #20 YSU visits the #10 Coyotes. I’ll have a lot to say on this one this week.

First a little info for Penguin fans about the mangy dogs of the Plains - the roster shows an attempt to get better players from an area lacking in quality players in big numbers. They have 18 players from Florida and 5 from Ohio, most of whom you will see playing on Saturday. The roster also shows 18 transfers.. Most notable of the Ohio players is probable starterGrace from Cincy at DE. They played Mansaray a lot at RB. He is from Westerville South. They start Blauser at LB who is an OhioUniv. Grad from Hilliard. You may also see Bose, a WR from Dublin Scioto. You will also see players on the roster from Texas , California and points in between.

Theyplay transfers and in my mind, most significant is QB Bouman, a 6’5, 245 specimen He transferred in from Iowa St and his father is a former 14 year veteran of the NFL.

Guins appear to be healthy coming out of the arse kicking of SIU.They should be ready for this game.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2023, 03:03 PM
This may be the biggest team YSU will play this year, bigger even than Ohio St. The OL starters go 6’4, 6’5, 6’5, 6’7, 6’8 and range from 310 to 335. The D is smaller but features 2 LBs at 235.

YSU must set coverage of WR Bell. In the NDSU game he caught half the passes from Bouman for 124 yds. Bouman only threw 12 passes against NDSU but completed 10 for 168 yds.

While the Yotes beat the Bison, NDSU dominated on most stats - total yardage, rushing, first downs, TOP ,plays and came within 9 yds in passing. The stats were lopsided. NDSU failures came in the red zone. They had trouble scoring. That and only that was the difference in the game which was close. But USD scored 21 in first half and that was the ball game. They only scored 3 the second half.

YSU is similar to NDSU with a dominate run game and passing game based on play action and a shorter pass game. The Yotes are a very vanilla O team, trying for a run game that limits their pass attack. While they scored against NDSU, they were really limited on O. I expect YSU to shut them down.

Uncle Rico
October 9th, 2023, 03:56 PM
This may be the biggest team YSU will play this year, bigger even than Ohio St. The OL starters go 6’4, 6’5, 6’5, 6’7, 6’8 and range from 310 to 335. The D is smaller but features 2 LBs at 235.

YSU must set coverage of WR Bell. In the NDSU game he caught half the passes from Bouman for 124 yds. Bouman only threw 12 passes against NDSU but completed 10 for 168 yds.

While the Yotes beat the Bison, NDSU dominated on most stats - total yardage, rushing, first downs, TOP ,plays and came within 9 yds in passing. The stats were lopsided. NDSU failures came in the red zone. They had trouble scoring. That and only that was the difference in the game which was close. But USD scored 21 in first half and that was the ball game. They only scored 3 the second half.

YSU is similar to NDSU with a dominate run game and passing game based on play action and a shorter pass game. The Yotes are a very vanilla O team, trying for a run game that limits their pass attack. While they scored against NDSU, they were really limited on O. I expect YSU to shut them down.I would argue that the Yotes completely shutting down NDSUs offense for 2 whole qtrs was a bigger difference in the game than NDSU struggling in the red zone. USD had 2 possessions in the second half and drove the field to put points on the board to seal the game when they had to in the fourth quarter. Stats don't tell the whole story on that game. The offense took what they were given and worked efficiently. You can call it vanilla I guess, but it worked.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

penguinpower
October 9th, 2023, 04:10 PM
Hey Uncle Rico, Vanilla means you don't have to be flashy. That's a good thing in my book.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Hey Uncle Rico, Vanilla means you don't have to be flashy. That's a good thing in my book.

Flashy they are not, PP. But they are consistent. You will see lots of their RB Theis. Bouman will pass but not much. WR Bell will be the main target. However, Bouman is lowly ranked as a QB, 10th in most MVFC stats. They have no receivers ranked in catches, yds per catch or TDS. They live by the run.

I pulled up the NDSU game stats. Bison lead 1st downs 23-15, rushing 189-101, passing USD lead 168-159, NDSU lead total yds. 348-269, TOP 35:32- 24:28 and plays 65-38. USD lead 1st half 21-3 but lost the 2nd 16-3. Final 24-19. Good win for them.

However, after YSU manhandled SIU, I see another team that will have trouble with YSU. I see a close game in this match up but that is only if USD can run the ball. If not, this game won’t be close.

Uncle Rico
October 9th, 2023, 06:32 PM
Flashy they are not, PP. But they are consistent. You will see lots of their RB Theis. Bouman will pass but not much. WR Bell will be the main target. However, Bouman is lowly ranked as a QB, 10th in most MVFC stats. They have no receivers ranked in catches, yds per catch or TDS. They live by the run.

I pulled up the NDSU game stats. Bison lead 1st downs 23-15, rushing 189-101, passing USD lead 168-159, NDSU lead total yds. 348-269, TOP 35:32- 24:28 and plays 65-38. USD lead 1st half 21-3 but lost the 2nd 16-3. Final 24-19. Good win for them.

However, after YSU manhandled SIU, I see another team that will have trouble with YSU. I see a close game in this match up but that is only if USD can run the ball. If not, this game won’t be close.I think you're understanding their ability to throw the football. A lack of stats is not the same as lack of ability. They've run the ball effectively enough on everyone that they haven't had to air it out.

The Yo Show
October 9th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Game review passing:
Against Mizzou SD QB was 15-25 for 148 yards and 1 TD. SD as a team managed 46 yards rushing on 35 carries that game.
Against St Thomas SD QB was 16-28 for 203 yards and 2 TD
Against Lamar SD QB was 7-9 for 96 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT
Against NDSU Paladin already listed above, but was 10-12 for 168 yards and 2 TDs
Against Murray State SD QB was 17-23 for 195 yards and 1 TD

From the film reviews I have done, it does seem like he can throw the ball, but SD definitely does lean on the run game. What is interesting is that in the Mizzou game SD didn't really try to play catchup with passing more often, passing only slightly more than other games, but not even the most of the season. Like many Valley games I expect this game to be fought in trenches and testing each team's run defense. Will be a good game! I am definitely not thrilled that this game is in Vermillion this year, but should be a good one.

SDFS
October 9th, 2023, 10:51 PM
USD has three running backs that I would like to see on UND. Any of those three would be the starter for UND. If USD can run the ball, the are going run it and not stop. And the 3rd stringer might be the best of the three.

BeamMeUp
October 10th, 2023, 05:42 AM
Battle of the strengths... USD rush attack vs YSU's #2 in FCS Rush Defense.

The most YSU gave up this year on the ground was 123 to FBS #3 Ohio State.

Paladin1aa
October 10th, 2023, 07:32 AM
USD has three running backs that I would like to see on UND. Any of those three would be the starter for UND. If USD can run the ball, the are going run it and not stop. And the 3rd stringer might be the best of the three.

I agree. USD tends to ram it down your throat. They will do that UNTIL they are forced to throw. That should be central to YSU game plan. Their pass game is pretty simple. We need to play man coverage and pick our spots to blitz which worked very well on SIU.

As Beam mentioned, YSU has a solid run D. I expect the Guins to slow the Yotes down.

Paladin1aa
October 10th, 2023, 07:42 AM
Battle of the strengths... USD rush attack vs YSU's #2 in FCS Rush Defense.

The most YSU gave up this year on the ground was 123 to FBS #3 Ohio State.

That is also the strength of USD. While the Yotes held NDSU down on the scoreboard, the Bison ran over them racking up yards but made critical mistakes trying to move into the red zone. The first half is where that game was won. Bison were more effective the second half.

King will need to get at least 25 touches. I sure the coaches see what I’m looking at - their 2 LB are big run stuffers at 235 each but over play run and can be thrown on. I’m also looking for low scoring game unless their D don’t cover run and pass well. I would also not be surprised to see Brungard as a Wildcat QB given run/pass option plays.

Paladin1aa
October 10th, 2023, 01:46 PM
YSU RB King was named for the 3rd time this season as MVFC Newcomer of the Week after his performance in the SIU game. Looking for him to compete against Theis for USD in this weeks game.

Paladin1aa
October 11th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Game notes are out and looks like both teams are healthy coming into this game. Overall the teams have met 10 times with YSU winning 8. Last season was a YSU win whipping the Yotes 45-24. YSU has split 2-2 in 4 games in the DakotaDome .

USD has a rising star in former Ohio player Grace, # 90 from Cincinnati Princeton. Just a Soph, need to block him as he is ringing up sacks. Speaking of sacks, YSU is on a tear racking up 19 so far with 7 coming in last weeks win over SIU. USD in the last two MVFC games only has one total sack vs 1 good and 1 poor MVFC teams.

My analysis still shows a Coyote team in trouble. YSU offers a balanced O that they must defend against, with a strong run game and better than average WRs that the QB gets the ball to. Oliver may have a big day as might Charleston and Tomszack. They are quickly becoming YSU best group of WRs in years. Yotes also have to face a strong YSU that is a national leader in limiting rushing yds, a USD strong point. If not for 2 TD bombs against NDSU, their O was held in check running the ball. I also see USD facing a D that excels in sacks and their QB will be heavily under pressure.

While YSU fans worry about playing in a gym, YSUs .500 record is a far cry from the curse of the UNI Dome. YSU has won 2 of 4 games at the DakotaDome. Go in with a good team and expect to win. Go in with less than that and the obvious happens. Big difference from the UNIDome history.

One other note, I’m looking for a big game from YSU DE Wudke, a winner of MVFC honors. He is extremely effective and watching Yotes OL, while they are very tall and big, they lack athletic ability and the OTs don’t have great feet. Wudke, agile and strong will match up over them, has been eating up on sacks. He may well be a key to a win. Expect him to have a good game.

Both teams have a good chance for the playoffs. This game means a lot to both of them. The winner will have an easier way into the playoffs solidifying their rankings.

Paladin1aa
October 12th, 2023, 11:23 AM
I note the DakotaDome has a seating capacity of 9100. Not a large number. But given a season where they have a good team they have only drawn 6000, 5600 and 7900 for each of their home games.

Why so low ?

Uncle Rico
October 12th, 2023, 12:17 PM
I note the DakotaDome has a seating capacity of 9100. Not a large number. But given a season where they have a good team they have only drawn 6000, 5600 and 7900 for each of their home games.

Why so low ?Vermillion only has a population of about 10,000 (less than half the size of Brookings where SDSU is located). The major population center is Sioux Falls which sits about an hour north of Vermillion and 45 minutes south of Brookings. So, the two schools compete for fans in Sioux Falls. Also, South Dakota is primarily an agriculture state and SDSU is the farm school, so their enrollment and fan base has been traditionally larger and they draw more fans from rural parts of the state. Plus, USD has had a few bad years recently, which certainly doesn't help either.

Paladin1aa
October 12th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Vermillion only has a population of about 10,000 (less than half the size of Brookings where SDSU is located). The major population center is Sioux Falls which sits about an hour north of Vermillion and 45 minutes south of Brookings. So, the two schools compete for fans in Sioux Falls. Also, South Dakota is primarily an agriculture state and SDSU is the farm school, so their enrollment and fan base has been traditionally larger and they draw more fans from rural parts of the state. Plus, USD has had a few bad years recently, which certainly doesn't help either.

Thorough answer. We will take a low attendance road game, lol. Thanks ! 🍺

The Yo Show
October 12th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Vermillion only has a population of about 10,000 (less than half the size of Brookings where SDSU is located). The major population center is Sioux Falls which sits about an hour north of Vermillion and 45 minutes south of Brookings. So, the two schools compete for fans in Sioux Falls. Also, South Dakota is primarily an agriculture state and SDSU is the farm school, so their enrollment and fan base has been traditionally larger and they draw more fans from rural parts of the state. Plus, USD has had a few bad years recently, which certainly doesn't help either.

Tahnks for the explanation! When you consider the fact that the local area only has a population of 10,000 then the attendance numbers actually don't seem too bad. Seems impressive actually.

ysubigred
October 12th, 2023, 05:06 PM
Hmmm, it's interesting that a YSU fan brings up attendance. Just think the city of Youngstown has a population of ~59K and go about 45 minutes in any direction and collect another 100k in population. YSUs' actual butts in the seat aren't much better than USDs. Although YSU has to compete with quite a few other D1 football teams within a similar radius of the population count. I agree that USDs attendance is impressive considering the volume of folks in that part of the country.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2023, 10:08 AM
YSU wins this by 2 TDs

Paladin1aa
October 13th, 2023, 10:26 AM
YSU wins this by 2 TDs

Maybe. I think there is a distinct difference between the teams but only picked a 7 point YSU win because both have very good Ds. I look for a low scoring game, not in the 30s or 40s. I also think the Bison let one get away from them. YSU should have a good run game vs the Yotes. Knock on wood, lol !

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Maybe. I think there is a distinct difference between the teams but only picked a 7 point YSU win because both have very good Ds. I look for a low scoring game, not in the 30s or 40s. I also think the Bison let one get away from them. YSU should have a good run game vs the Yotes. Knock on wood, lol !

I've watched YSU a couple of times this year and their run game is what NDSU use to have. POWER

NDSU has transformed into just another read option team that zone blocks.

YSU will have a good running day.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2023, 06:06 PM
I took the 'Guins in this week's pick'em knowing it was done with some bias. I do believe YSU is one of the better teams in the country at their best BUT they remain an enigma until proven otherwise. This will be a tough test in Vermillion! The winner should have an inside track to a seed imo. Even at 8-3 given the strength of the MVFC...

I learned the Dakota Dome is modeled after the Carrier Dome (aka JMA Wireless Nonsense Dome) at Syacuse on obviously a much smaller scale. These are two schools I have quite a bit of respect for. USD has a law and medical school. Good stuff.....

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 01:15 PM
YSU runs into punter and extends USD drive. USD FG

Yotes 3

YSU 0

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 01:25 PM
This YSU fumble, Yotes recover, then YSU offensive lineman hits the safety who then fumbled and YSU recovers was the craziest sequence if it is upheld by replay

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 01:30 PM
YSU is killing itself with penalties in crucial positions. Running into the punter, then a false start on 3rd and 1 in the red zone

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 01:33 PM
YSU FG

3 all

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 01:36 PM
YSU is killing itself with penalties in crucial positions. Running into the punter, then a false start on 3rd and 1 in the red zone

WeAre moving the ball very well. Have to eliminate mistakes.

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Typical YSU football.. tard ball on the road.. [emoji3061]

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 01:39 PM
USD is under pressure trying to pass. 3 and out.

YSU ball.

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Mitch pressured by three man rush and YSU has a 3 and out about to punt it back. SD to have good field position

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Best player on the Guins team is the punter..

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Secondary is playing well today

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 01:52 PM
USD run for TD.

Yotes 10

YSU 3

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Tyshon is getting smothered by this Yotes defense whenever he has a carry.

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Don't get YSU teams of the last 15 years. Struggle with every team they play on the road. USD is making them look like a bunch of scared pussies.. Can't block, hold on to the ball and jumpy penalties..

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 02:14 PM
TD pass Yotes

USD 17-3

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Either SIU really sucks and was way overrated, or YSU dressed the band for this game..

[emoji2962]

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Secondary is playing well todayWhat game ru watching..

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 02:49 PM
Well it had been prior to that statement. I jynxed it

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 02:54 PM
Yotes TD. 24-3.

YSU making mistakes, racking up penalties and playing poorly. Totally un prepared.

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:01 PM
YSU TD bomb.

Yotes 24-10

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 03:06 PM
Ugh

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:07 PM
D looks terrible. Yotes TD.

Yotes 31-10

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 03:09 PM
If only this offense could have been there in the first half.

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:09 PM
YSU TD bomb.

Yotes 31-17

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Defense needs to get a stop now

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Well it had been prior to that statement. I jynxed itU didn't jinx ****.. these guys suck especially on the road..

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 03:28 PM
YSU is hanging in there. Can they find a way over the final 15 minutes to flip the script?

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:30 PM
YSU forces 3 and out. Get the FB on Yotes 43. Need a quick score. 4th qtr just started.

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:33 PM
YSU completes pass into red zone , but QB flattened. Brungard will be in.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 03:35 PM
TD 'Guins! Game on in Vermillion!

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:38 PM
YSU TD run.

Yotes 31-24

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Yotes fumble. Guin ball.

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Momentum has definitely swung

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:47 PM
Brutal hard hitting game. Both teams have players beat up.

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 03:47 PM
Holy **** if that wasn't targeting there's no such thing. A bull**** penalty, anyways nevertheless wow..

The Yo Show
October 14th, 2023, 03:49 PM
That's not good, looks like serrano is injured pretty bad

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 03:52 PM
This game has definitely been played with some bad intentions. Very physical....

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:56 PM
TD Penguins.

31-31

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 03:56 PM
TD Guins! Great pass! Wow, what a 4th quarter so far by YSU!! That 3 and out at the end of the 3rd really helped to turn the tide....

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Didn’t expect a shoot out. Very surprising

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Yotes going to punt?!?!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 04:14 PM
YSU just can't do anything dumb here. OT is a perfectly acceptable outcome...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Wow! USD is going to get a chance to kick a reasonable FG to win it!

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 04:23 PM
What a disaster.. Maybe next year..

Piss poor ****ing team preparation..

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 14th, 2023, 04:23 PM
It's good! Yotes win! WOW!....that's all I got to say...

POD Knows
October 14th, 2023, 04:24 PM
That offensive series for YSU was as bad as it gets. Mega putridness by YSU

semobison
October 14th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Stupid penalties in the last minute cost the Guins.

penguinpower
October 14th, 2023, 04:29 PM
10 penalties for 75 yards can't win games like that

ysubigred
October 14th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Can't let receivers run wide open in zone coverage [emoji19] Can't win that way either.

BeamMeUp
October 14th, 2023, 04:33 PM
10 penalties for 75 yards can't win games like that
Bingo.

Paladin1aa
October 14th, 2023, 04:52 PM
Very disappointing. Had the chance to get in position for a game winning FG and the coaches choke on that. The penalties did them in. All came at critical times all game long.

Congrats to the Yotes.

ytownchief22
October 14th, 2023, 05:50 PM
That's why nobody takes this football program seriously. Coaching, coaching, coaching. High school principal and a bunch of small time unqualified assistants. They will never win a big game that matters. Shame...

penguinpower
October 14th, 2023, 10:09 PM
That was a crazy ass game. It was physical, there were some big time hits in it, and it was exciting. The Penguins are a team nobody would want to play, and if they could get their damn penalties under control and fix the sideline communication issues, they could be great. I love how they're always in it. There is ZERO quit in them, but it's not good enough to beat great team on the road when you shoot your shoot yourself in the foot. 10 penalties and at critical times is a problem.

By the way, that was text book targeting. That guy should have been ejected.

penguinpower
October 14th, 2023, 10:15 PM
The Penguins are missing one outstanding person on the DL that requires a double team all of the time. They're also missing that one skill player on offense that has to be dealt with every play. Add that to the dysfunctional sideline communication and penalty problems and you get a close game where you can't get out of you own way.

Phillips has done a good job recruiting and building depth. Improvement every year thus far. YSU is not the same team they were when he arrived. They are getting better every year. But they absolutely have to fix the penalties. That probably cost them the game.

USD was gassed in defense because YSU had them on the field the entire second half. But you can't go into a 2 minute offense and put yourself in a 3rd and 35 by self destruction. Stupid.

That was a significant game across the FCS.

ysubigred
October 15th, 2023, 05:09 AM
Bump... I said it all back in the 2nd quarter..

"Don't get YSU teams of the last 15 years. Struggle with every team they play on the road. USD is making them look like a bunch of scared pussies.. Can't block, hold on to the ball and jumpy penalties"..

Add.. This ****ing O line YSU has, was man handled by a 3 man rush lol. Hence my scared pussy reference above with the jumpy penalties. WOWSA!!!!!!

The YSU secondary.. Larry, Moe, Curly, and Stevie Wonder wowsa!!

Coaching staff wowsa!!

Best player on the team.. I said it before, the punter.

For the fans digging what the Guins are doing with the team,,, good news, it'll be virtually the same team next year minus Davidson and Oliver. TB King and #1 and two Oline guys. Defense #17 and 4 others are gone.

They need to be looking hard at the portal, which seems to be the way to win. Need to keep getting bigger and stronger, UNI and USD bullied the **** out of what we have now.

I'm not sure what game some of you all were watching. This team is bad, worse than last year. 5 games left must win all 5 to have a shot at the playoffs. SDSU, MO ST, IL ST home games and Indy ST, Murray ST on the road. So the road game should be a lock, right? So for ****s and giggles, we get by SDSU at home. The Murray state game has me concerned. Indy ST gives YSU fits in Terre Haute. Haven't won there in a while.

As we all know, 7-4 won't get a playoff spot.

GooooooooGuins [emoji57]

Paladin1aa
October 15th, 2023, 01:24 PM
After sleeping on it, wasn’t going to say anything, but I’ll make a couple of points. First, the loss rests on the number of penalties and when they happened. Critical times and difference in the game rested with them. Second, horrible coaching errors on both sides of the ball. When you play a good team on the road, you have to be disciplined and you have to have coaches playing to win and not have their head up their arse.

The game was a physical brutal ball buster with big, strong, fast players using great skills. Typical MVFC. This means much of FCS are going to get steamrolled in the playoffs. There is such a gap between most of the MVFC and 90% of FCS that it’s humorous at times to hear fans from Eastern teams talk about their “great” team or politely read a chat about a league leading school who will make the playoffs. The problem is they will face reality soon. FCS is a screwed up division where pretend leagues of partial or no schollies play against real schollie leagues. Then there are the real schollie leagues in which the talent level is day vs night. Pretty good chance the MVFC will win another FCS championship and several of its teams will make playoff runs.

Of course what I’d really like to talk about is the worthless AD that has destroyed a Cadillac program and consistently held it back with terrible coaching hires, stupid contract extensions, putting political pressure on coaches to recruit local worthless stars or forbids the new coach from running off those worthless local stars he inherited on the roster and fails to budget money to hire capable assistants. But that’s a thread for another day.

We still need to play out the season but appears my preseason prediction is starting to appear on the horizon. God I hate being right most of the time !