PDA

View Full Version : Parity

Ridge1982
October 5th, 2023, 12:54 AM
Sure, NDSU will continue be a top 5-10 program, but I think it’s safe to say that the days of reeling off 9 straight NCs have come to an end thanks to the portal and NIL…and we may not see another dynasty for awhile.

bonarae
October 5th, 2023, 01:02 AM
Yes, and with the astronomically higher exit fee and scholarship requirements, looks like no move uppers will tear through the stability of the FCS for a while... xwhistlex

POD Knows
October 5th, 2023, 10:10 AM
Sure, NDSU will continue be a top 5-10 program, but I think it’s safe to say that the days of reeling off 9 straight NCs have come to an end thanks to the portal and NIL…and we may not see another dynasty for awhile.
Yea. It took administrative and policy crap to achieve parity. If artificial parity is good then I guess we are there. Maybe they should put an asterisk on every NATTY champ going forward.

JSUSoutherner
October 5th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Yea. It took administrative and policy crap to achieve parity. If artificial parity is good then I guess we are there. Maybe they should put an asterisk on every NATTY champ going forward.
What administrative and policy decision lead to NDSU getting stomped in their own house last week?

Chalupa Batman
October 5th, 2023, 10:27 AM
What administrative and policy decision lead to NDSU getting stomped in their own house last week?

The hirings of Matt Entz and Tyler Roehl.....

POD Knows
October 5th, 2023, 10:33 AM
Well NDSU dominated this division until the transfer portal became a thing and of course, the apparent inability to utilize this change at NDSU has cost the program. Lost a bunch of key guys to the portal, didn’t backfill very well and now they are a half assed team like JSU used to be.

I don’t think the transfer portal is a positive for college football and I am kind of losing interest in the entire deal. **** it.

MUHAWKS
October 5th, 2023, 10:38 AM
Well NDSU dominated this division until the transfer portal became a thing and of course, the apparent inability to utilize this change at NDSU has cost the program. Lost a bunch of key guys to the portal, didn’t backfill very well and now they are a half assed team like JSU used to be.

I don’t think the transfer portal is a positive for college football and I am kind of losing interest in the entire deal. **** it.

Right on- I forget the exact stats but there have been a LARGE % of kids who played d-1 both fcs/fbs who entered and the folloiwng year were not on a team. THAT is not good for kids and clearly it is NOT being used for the intended intent.. just not an overall positive.

POD Knows
October 5th, 2023, 10:42 AM
The hirings of Matt Entz and Tyler Roehl.....
And this 🤘

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 11:39 AM

Ive had enough

damn

this is a common theme though

just look at the empty seats everywhere

Catbooster
October 5th, 2023, 01:24 PM
It's a little early to declare the dynasty is over. A couple years of not winning it all is a long way from irrelevant. But the trend does look bad for the NDSU fans.

It was bound to happen sooner or later (assuming it is happening now). One bad hire, scandal, etc. and it can really affect the program. NDSU has had a historic run, and one bad year doesn't mean they're done (they were in the championship game last year). But even if they are declining, look at the bright side: UM only won it twice in their 15 years or so of being one of the top teams, hasn't won a conference title (let alone a national title) for around 15 years and they're still in the poll despite not being very good so far this year. You can live off your reputation for a couple decades.

I'm not a fan of the transfer portal and NIL (I'm inclined to think the general idea might be good but the rules/execution is bad). But I wouldn't blame it directly for the decline of a team. Some have done well with the new situation right away, some haven't been affected very much, others have been hurt. So I think it comes back to the coaching/administrative staff not doing a good job of adjusting to the change. Some might just be slower to adjust to the new realities, but do fine a couple years later.

JacksFan40
October 5th, 2023, 01:31 PM

I think that more falls on NDSU for not adapting to the changing landscape. It also is a bad sign to the state of the program that they could lose so many key guys to the portal. SDSU has quite a few guys who could easily go play in the G5 and even the P5 and try and boost their NFL stock, yet they chose to stay and continue to elevate the program. That says a lot to coaches like Stig and Rogers for being able to keep these guys in the era of the transfer portal.

Now, a few could leave after this season but that remains to be seen.

I know for a fact that Tucker Kraft was offered a big NIL deal by an unnamed SEC school in the state of Alabama before 2022, and he turned it down.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2023, 01:34 PM
I think that more falls on NDSU for not adapting to the changing landscape. It also is a bad sign to the state of the program that they could lose so many key guys to the portal. SDSU has quite a few guys who could easily go play in the G5 and even the P5 and try and boost their NFL stock, yet they chose to stay and continue to elevate the program. That says a lot to coaches like Stig and Rogers for being able to keep these guys in the era of the transfer portal.

I know for a fact that Tucker Kraft was offered a big NIL deal by an unnamed SEC school in the state of Alabama before 2022, and he turned it down.

maybe ND St just had more players that could play at FBS level and took a temporary hit

POD Knows
October 5th, 2023, 01:37 PM
It's a little early to declare the dynasty is over. A couple years of not winning it all is a long way from irrelevant. But the trend does look bad for the NDSU fans.

It was bound to happen sooner or later (assuming it is happening now). One bad hire, scandal, etc. and it can really affect the program. NDSU has had a historic run, and one bad year doesn't mean they're done (they were in the championship game last year). But even if they are declining, look at the bright side: UM only won it twice in their 15 years or so of being one of the top teams, hasn't won a conference title (let alone a national title) for around 15 years and they're still in the poll despite not being very good so far this year. You can live off your reputation for a couple decades.

I'm not a fan of the transfer portal and NIL (I'm inclined to think the general idea might be good but the rules/execution is bad). But I wouldn't blame it directly for the decline of a team. Some have done well with the new situation right away, some haven't been affected very much, others have been hurt. So I think it comes back to the coaching/administrative staff not doing a good job of adjusting to the change. Some might just be slower to adjust to the new realities, but do fine a couple years later.
And I am not blaming the decline of talent at NDSU on the portal alone, I think we have recruiting deficiencies with the current regime. I see teams close to FargoNDSU with high quality players that the Bison didn't even sniff. We have had some farily big swings and misses with recent recruits, had a decent amount of quality guys hit the portal and will we soon see quality running backs hit the portal if we continue with this same stupid QB run game ****.

POD Knows
October 5th, 2023, 01:40 PM
maybe ND St just had more players that could play at FBS level and took a temporary hitSDSU had a huge advantage last year vs NDSU on a man for man, position by position basis and the gap is a hell of a lot bigger this year.